Ninja Scroll
Slayers Gorgeous

Favourite US animated movies

Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm
Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker
Transformers: The Movie
Toy Story 2
The Incredibles
Star Wars: Clone Wars (it's like a movie, but chopped into to short episodes. :p)

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
in no particular order

cowboy bebop (do I need to explain?)
berserk (why would I be here?)
samurai champloo ( great soundtrack and action)
one piece (my alternative to dragon ball and its way better too!)
gungrave (closest thing to mafia anime)
fullmetal alchemist (possibly the best series since evangelion)
evangelion (the masterpiece that you can debate and enjoy for years)
fist of the north star (Ken is the man!)
vampire hunter D (the movie that introduced me to anime)
perfect blue (satoshi kon rules!)
paranoia agent (so weird!)
hellsing (great but will become crap when ultimate comes out)
flcl (zany fun!)
excel saga (probably the funniest anime out)
trigun (old west awesomeness)
scryed (not the best storyline but its reminds me of X men!)
Sailor Moon S (my first series that I watched and fell in love with
I always wanted to marry Sailor Neptune! WAIT! SHE'S
A WHAT?)
Akira (THE MASTERPIECE MOVIE)
Gantz (appeals to todays youth! why? VIOLENCE AND SEX!)
Bleach (not as fun as the manga but still awesome, go read it now!)
boogiepop phantom (scary stuff is cool, great music too!)

There are still many anime I need to watch or may have forgotten....

handsome rakshas said:
Sailor Moon S (my first series that I watched and fell in love with
                   I always wanted to marry Sailor Neptune! WAIT! SHE'S
                   A WHAT?)

She ain't Sailor Uranus's cousin, that's for sure. :carcus:

Ravenus

Lord of the Godhand
i like berserk of course but i have a few other favorites.

Vampire hunter D
vampire hunter D (bloodlust)
Akira
InuYasha(series)
InuYasha(movies)
Loveless
FLCL

hard to choose cause the genres are so different

berserk -  the feel good medieval horror of the decade  :guts:
one piece -the feel good pirate treasure hunt of the decade
one-piece-luffy-040811.gif

naruto - the feel good ninja school anime of the decade
naruto.gif

although, i do appreciate naruto's and one piece's commitment to break the 150 anime episode barrier...

actually, heres a question... what anime has the most episodes? one piece is upto 230 or so in jap...

ninja scroll is probably my favorite film - it got me into anime in the first place... tv sucked though except epi 6

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Psymont 2.0 said:
actually, heres a question... what anime has the most episodes? one piece is upto 230 or so in jap...

It's Sazae-san as far as I know, it has more than 5000 episodes (3 short skits per installment) and is still running. Next is probably Doraemon.

Gungrave was one of the best animes I've seen in years. I mean god's, why cant all things based off of video games be that good? Excellent, excellent characters, story, visuals, and so forth. All around excellent anime. I dont have a favorite but that's one of them.

Funny thing is I dont really like a lot of the choices here. Ninja Scroll was fairly disapointing to me as was Vampire D Bloodlust. Oh well...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
Gungrave was one of the best animes I've seen in years.

That and Hellsing, looks like you either don't watch a lot of animation or have really different tastes from mines... It's not even a matter of comparison to other series, just the lack of depth in these shows. Gungrave excellent? Sorry to all its fans out there, but it was sleep inducing for the most part to me, the characters as well as the plot failed to spark my interest. Now, it'd be decent for a video game adaptation if a good amount of it wasn't a blatant rip off of the Berserk anime... I actually watched it only because I was told about that, and it's sadly true. That's pretty lame, and there's no redeeming to that as far as I'm concerned. Not bad? I guess you could say that. Excellent? That's overrating it IMHO.

I do have fairly different tastes in anime. I dont really like a lot of the stuff that is really popular in the anime world like I said and tend to enjoy different stuff. I dont like Ninja Scroll, I do like the ending to Neon Genesis Evangelion. Many dont agree with me but I find that a lot of the stuff out there is liked solely because of a singular reason, though I guess that can be said of everything.

I noticed the similarities between Gungrave and Berserk, hell I even thought Bob Poundmax and so forth in their Superior form's were similar to apostles. However I liked the story of the Berserk anime/manga for similar reasons I like the Gungrave anime. I'd even say the Gungrave anime was better than the Berserk anime in a few ways (and not simply better production values).

I've seen quite a bit of anime and honestly, most of it is garbage because its rarely different and a lot of the times follows the same formula's over and over and over again, and worst yet, few rarely are able to pull it off what-so-ever. They over reach, over do it, and just try for too much and give too little. Full Metal Alchemist is an example, though its not terrible or even that bad, I found it to be severly lacking as it jumps all over the place with what is a fairly simple story and somehow doesnt build upon the more interesting elements like the origins of certain characters and what not.

I guess that's why I enjoy Onepiece, some find it way too childish and stupid, but at least the show is focused on what its doing. Having a crazy rubber kid beating up pirates with his buddies, and it does it pretty well and hopefully it wont catch DBZitis and continue to up the odds till it becomes truely stupid.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
I dont really like a lot of the stuff that is really popular in the anime world like I said and tend to enjoy different stuff.

Well, Hellsing and Gungrave are quite popular, I don't think you're an outsider about them. :void:

HawaiianStallion said:
I noticed the similarities between Gungrave and Berserk, hell I even thought Bob Poundmax and so forth in their Superior form's were similar to apostles. However I liked the story of the Berserk anime/manga for similar reasons I like the Gungrave anime.

I guess that's where our opinions differ, to each his own. :SK:

HawaiianStallion said:
I'd even say the Gungrave anime was better than the Berserk anime in a few ways (and not simply better production values).

I'm not a huge fan of the Berserk anime myself (compared to the manga that is), but I'm curious as to which ways that would be (apart from purely technical considerations).

HawaiianStallion said:
I've seen quite a bit of anime and honestly, most of it is garbage because its rarely different and a lot of the times follows the same formula's over and over and over again, and worst yet, few rarely are able to pull it off what-so-ever. They over reach, over do it, and just try for too much and give too little.

I guess that depends on the kind of things you look for in the first place, even if the anime phenomenon is considered as being way past its golden age in Japan. There are a lot of bad series, like there's a huge amount of bad movies, bad books or bad games, I think it's natural. The only people negating this are basic members of the "Internet Anime Community", and are despicable as far as I'm concerned, for a lot of reasons. So I don't think it's really worthy to even bother discussing this.

HawaiianStallion said:
I guess that's why I enjoy Onepiece, some find it way too childish and stupid, but at least the show is focused on what its doing.

One Piece is pretty funny as far as I'm concerned, and can be moving at times too, even though as a shōnen it has its share of simplistic characters and all that. It's getting a bit redundant nowadays from what I heard, but I personally liked what I read/watched of it in the past (up to the Crocodile era).

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
One Piece is pretty funny as far as I'm concerned, and can be moving at times too, even though as a shōnen it has its share of simplistic characters and all that. It's getting a bit redundant nowadays from what I heard, but I personally liked what I read/watched of it in the past (up to the Crocodile era).
Well its starting get good cause there are some inner conflicts in the Mugi wara Pirate group! Also the creator of one piece said that he is about 1/2 way done with the series.... Im loving it and I got the wife into it as well! :carcus:

Series:

Berserk (favorite)
Cowboy bebop
The Guyver
Hellsing
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Trigun
X

Movies:
Akira
Fatal fury
Grave of the fireflies (favorite next to vhd)
Jin-roh
My neighbor Totoro(sp)
Street fighter II
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

Movie : Tonari no Totoro
Anime : EarthGirl Arjuna, Berserk, Wolf's Rain, Now and Then Here and There, Juuni Kokki, Lain [...]
Manga : Berserk, Gunnm & GLO, Parasite, Shamo, Gantz, Battle royale, One Piece, Worst, High School, Yureka [...]

I also like us comics and european comics : spider man, Spawn, 'la caste des métabarons' or 'le grand pouvoir du schninkel' [...]

Berserk
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Alchemist
Naruto
Bleach
SDF Macross
Macross Plus
Gungrave
Samurai Champloo
Gundam Seed
Macross Zero (excluding the ending)
Genshiken