www.berserkstatues.com - discussion thread

I think it was a quite a good job on the paint. The more I think about it, the more I realize that this was a difficult kit to paint, simply because of it's uniform nature and being all black. The first pic is quite nice IMO. I'm still torn up between how I personally would of wanted the kit to be done. Overall, I think it looks very nice nevertheless, and would go very well with the other 2.

So last night, John finished the last of my 4 non-apostle Headlong kits, Mister SKULLKNIGHT!!! I uploaded a ton of pictures to the website and I posted some down below. What do ya'll think?

front.jpg

sideview.jpg

closeup.jpg

cape.jpg

sword.jpg

shield.jpg

towering.jpg

Oh, and we can't forget Sergeant Puck!

front.jpg

side.jpg

Quite nice...I think you should get that statue of Griffith unsheathing his blade done next. It's one of the best Berserk statues I've seen.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Another great painting on what I think is an average kit. That's the good part with John Allred and other artists that aren't just painting the kits, they're tweaking them to correct defaults or just enhance their global look.

The cape isn't supposed to be red inside, but that's hardly a big deal, especially since it's well done, and the exterior part looks gorgeous, though I would see it a bit darker.

The overall painting on the body is expertly executed as usual (we're getting spoiled), even if it feels sort of too metallic for me (probably a side effect of the picture). The spikes are all well implemented and the details/shading are flawless. If you had a second one I would like to see it bone colored, too, like my avatar. ;D Otherwise, the eyes are really well made and I'll repeat myself but it's not always the case, a lot of statues I've seen (including official ones from AOW) hadn't eyes as good as that.

My only "complaint" (couldn't find a better word) would be that I'm not a fan of the yellow/green line on the sword, and that the handle guard might have looked very nice if painted green/red (like thorns) but it's not shocking or anything, fine looking overall.

Lastly, the shield is great. It's easily my favourite out of the whole kit. It looks a bit too worn out (yeah, I can't help but criticize :p) but the rendering is incredible, beyond words even.

As for the Puck, well it's perfectly represented, though I think the Japanese uniforms for officers were mustard-colored at the time.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Excellent work. I especially like the sheild, though it seems too dirty in comparison to the rest of the model. The highlights are very well done, but I think an increase in the contrast would be helpful. Pardon me if I'm too critical, I've been spoiled (these people aren't human!!!).

DirectDK, I spent about an hour browsing through your website today. It's absolutely incredible, from the overall look of the website, detailed and very informative FAQ, your entire collection, to the option of listening to the songs while you browse(what a nice treat!), makes for an impressive site.
I really didn't even know some of those items existed, such as the Behelit Music Box and those really cool Kubrick sets.

You must have been very proud when Art of War sent you that e-mail. Personally, I think you can give their site a run for their money. ;D
Without a doubt my favorite statues are the God Hand. I can't believe how much it went for! I like how you photoshopp'd Ubik's pole out.

Really great job man. Keep up the good work. :)

I must get Yoda Puck, the Behelit Music Box, Berserk Armor Guts, and the God Hand!

Mormegil said:
DirectDK, I spent about an hour browsing through your website today. It's absolutely incredible, from the overall look of the website, detailed and very informative FAQ, your entire collection, to the option of listening to the songs while you browse(what a nice treat!), makes for an impressive site.
I really didn't even know some of those items existed, such as the Behelit Music Box and those really cool Kubrick sets.

You must have been very proud when Art of War sent you that e-mail. Personally, I think you can give their site a run for their money. ;D
Without a doubt my favorite statues are the God Hand. I can't believe how much it went for! I like how you photoshopp'd Ubik's pole out.

Really great job man. Keep up the good work. :)

Thanks! =) I just wish I could update it more often.

grendelrt said:
On your site DirectDK, what format is the music stored in that plays?

They are streaming .swf files (Flash). I did that so people couldn't download the songs, but unfortunately it must be hell on my server's bandwidth. :'(

Ah, I was just wondering. I was thinking maybe you had a midi version, but they sounded way to good for that =) Great website btw I look at it all the time to see the detail of statues, since your pictures are a lot better.

EDIT: oops hehe didnt finish my sentence.

Your pictures are a lot better than AOWs. Also, how can you tell whether or not resin kits are authentic when buying from auction sites and such?

grendelrt said:
Also, how can you tell whether or not resin kits are authentic when buying from auction sites and such?

Well, there are a few ways to tell. But just in general, the majority of resin kits you see on ebay are "recasts". But anyways:

1. If the shipper is from Thailand, Hong Kong, Taiwan, or Korea... it's most likely a recast (and Thai recasts tend to be the worst ones).
2. If there is no original packaging (box, reference pictures, instructions), it's most likely a recast.
3. If the buy-it-now price is low (as in under $100), then it's a recast.

See, the thing is, original authentic resin kits are pretty much only sold at Hobby Festivals in Japan or a few reputable import shops like www.hlj.com. Original kits are expensive and really limited, so you don't seem them popping up on auctions too often. And if they do, make sure you can locate a round or sometimes square sticker that says "WHF" or "NTV", etc etc. That is proof that it was sold at a Hobby Show in Japan.

Main rule of thumb is, unless they EXPLICITLY say it's an original, and have pictures to prove it, IT IS A RECAST. Those sellers selling recasts are relying on the fact that the bidders don't know any better and think they are getting a sweet deal when buying a kit for $30 or so.

Hope that helps!

(On the other hand, if you shop on YJ online auctions, then you can be pretty sure they are legit. Again, always look for the packaging.)

K

KuroiKenshin

DirectDK..

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums. I MUST say, your site is amazing. I'm actually in a ruggid search for the Zoddo statue w/wings, but without blood (since that gets WAY too expensive for me). The site showed me lots of AWESOME statues I wasn't aware had been released. Plus that's quite the collection. Keep up all the good work!! Oh.. one thing your site did to me... it made me cry! Lol.. That Behelit Music box? I saw it at an anime convention a year or 2 ago, for $35 and did NOT have the money to purchase it.. for I was ultra BROKE at the time. Now I look back and hate myself for not being able to get it. ^_^ GREAT Site though.

Welcome to the forums KuroiKenshin,

The Zoddo statue w/ wings is indeed a worthy buy. I hope you can get one someday!

KuroiKenshin said:
Oh.. one thing your site did to me... it made me cry! Lol.. That Behelit Music box? I saw it at an anime convention a year or 2 ago, for $35 and did NOT have the money to purchase it.. for I was ultra BROKE at the time. Now I look back and hate myself for not being able to get it. ^_^

Wow, only $35? That's crazy. I'm sorry to hear about your despair. Actually, you know when the Zoddo statue w/ wings first came out 2-3 years ago, it was selling on ebay for $100-200. I waited too long to buy it... and ended up paying a few hundred more for the sucker. :'(

About that behelit music box, i saw it on your site, but is there only one version of it?
im pretty sure i read somewhere there's one supposed to play the behelit song, but i dont know if thats true.... ???

-Player- said:
About that behelit music box, i saw it on your site, but is there only one version of it?
im pretty sure i read somewhere there's one supposed to play the behelit song, but i dont know if thats true.... ???

Nope, like I said on my website, most people think it plays "Behelit", but it doesn't. That's what I thought at first too, but as far as I know, there is only one version out there, and it plays "Forces".

Anyhow, SO I FINALLY GOT OFF MY LAZY ASS and took pictures of the Grunbeld and Guts: Berserker statues, by ART OF WAR.

Also, stay tuned. My painter will be starting a new kit this coming week along with a custom diorama. Wait and see =).

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
damn that's sweet. I love the little guy next to Grunbeld for comparison. I think that that has to be one of my favorite statues from AoW.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
That is fantastic work on that skullknight. I love the weathered texturing used, and the eyes glow perfectly.
The Grunbeld and berserk armor statues look fantastic. The blood trickling down from between the plates, seems so subtle. :)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice Derek, it's good to finally see some pictures of them. I definitely love the small apostle that goes with Grunberd, it really makes him look like a giant. It's just too bad that there isn't a Guts with the right scale to display along with it.

BTW, I also can't wait to see the finished diorama. :p

DK do you mind asking how much your painter charges? Like what would you say is the regular price per kit... a range of $ is fine. I'm not looking to ask him to paint my stuff or anything like that, just curious :) My interest in Berserk models and any toys (some Starwars ones I've seen are really nice... Darth Maul, yum) are back and after taking a look at your latest kits, and the amazing paint job on them, I'm just dying to know heh

Edit - DK, I was browsing on eBay and I saw this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5978314359&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 - My mouth dropped thinking that it might be one of the rare ones like the one you have so I e-mailed the seller asking what it read on the gold plate... and he said " Black Swordsman Â_¸o" (I don't have Japanese installed on my comp right now heh) so I'm guessing because it didn't have a number like yours did that it's not an original. Not to mention it looks like it has way less blood than yours! Any ideas, oh guru of berserk statues? :)

Plus it turns out that I freaking have that statue... the 35 buck non-rare-non-blood version haha... so I doubt I'll get this... though I haven't seen it on ebay before.

Fusiongt said:
DK do you mind asking how much your painter charges? Like what would you say is the regular price per kit... a range of $ is fine.

I'll PM you that =).

Edit - DK, I was browsing on eBay and I saw this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5978314359&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 - My mouth dropped thinking that it might be one of the rare ones like the one you have so I e-mailed the seller asking what it read on the gold plate... and he said " Black Swordsman Â_¸o" (I don't have Japanese installed on my comp right now heh) so I'm guessing because it didn't have a number like yours did that it's not an original. Not to mention it looks like it has way less blood than yours! Any ideas, oh guru of berserk statues? :)

Plus it turns out that I freaking have that statue... the 35 buck non-rare-non-blood version haha... so I doubt I'll get this... though I haven't seen it on ebay before.

Well, you pretty much answered your own question, hehe. But yeah, actaully that bloody version just sold on ebay 2 weeks ago. $100+ is the going rate for that statue.

On another note... my painter is starting the new kit tomorrow!!! Woo hoo, I'm so pumped! =)

Stay tuned for pictures, though it might not be til the end of the week...

conan

Until next time...
Any idea if the new PVC Berserker armor is gonna be similar to the resin one?

I know hlj.com has supposed "proto" pics up on their site, but I haven't seen on AOW.com if that is the one or not.

I'd expect to hear soon though...

I'm really hoping the PVC is the same, like what they did for the PVC "battle damaged" birth feast statue (it was the same as the first Guts BS resin).

That Berserker statue pose IS awesome!!

Top Bottom