www.berserkstatues.com - discussion thread

BillyBudd said:
I can't wait to see your Head Long Apostle Zoddo. There's one on yahoo japan right now, and that kit is AWESOME :eek:

Yah, indeed, the one on YJ is pretty damn cool cuz the guy added on custom wings and set the whole kit on this giant rock. The paint job on it is a little flat-looking though, but otherwise it's a freaking nice build up. Here's the link for those that don't know what we're referring to:

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k18771414

I'm curious to see how much it will go for. With finished kits (especially custom), YJ can often shoot them up SUPER HIGH in price. We'll see!

For mine, well I was originally planning to have John sculpt wings for me too, but I changed my mind because I have something else in store now. You'll see! He would be done by today but he went on a short trip til Sunday. =( So MONDAY, I should have pictures up. Actually, I already have some cool in progress pictures but I must contain myself and wait til all the pictures are done =P.

conan said:
Any idea if the new PVC Berserker armor is gonna be similar to the resin one?

I know hlj.com has supposed "proto" pics up on their site, but I haven't seen on AOW.com if that is the one or not.

I'm wondering the same thing, but I have a feeling we won't be as lucky as we were with the PVC statue of the Guts figure. That prototype picture is nothing close to the pose of the resin statue, so unless they are trying to play mind tricks on us, I don't think the poses weill be similar. =/

conan

Until next time...
I personally don't think the pic HLJ.com has up for the Berserker statue is a statue at all but an action figure. I know it says it's a statue, but I think the pics were mixed up...at least I hope so.

The pic looks way too "loose" to be a statue IMO. The head's sculpt looks too out of proportion and it looks more like a removable helm than a statue's helmet.

I think we'll see an action figure of the Guts Berserker Armor by the end of 2005...at least I hope so! :D

And I hope the PVC Berserker IS the same sculpt...they'd be dumb to NOT use the same mold...cheaper and easier to do it that way....

here's hoping they do at least!

Alright guys and gals, behold... the "Reunion on the Hill of Swords" - Zoddo: Apostle with Custom Guts and Diorama!!!

hills.jpg

manga.jpg

wide1.jpg

wide2.jpg

zoddoside.jpg

zoddofront.jpg

zoddohorn.jpg

gutsbetweenarms.jpg

gutsside.jpg

gutsbody.jpg

Go visit THIS PAGE on my website to see bigger pictures and to read about all the work that my painter, John Allred had to go through to make this kit!!! He did A LOT of custom work.

Oh, and here's another Puck kit (LOL look at his teeth!):

puckkuri.jpg

S

Some Guy

Truely excellent. I love the job he did on the fur. I also liek the mountain backdrop in the first picture.

Truly an awesome diorama, the fur is out of this world and the attention to detail is insane. I love the swords he made too. Congrats Derek and keep it up!!

conan said:
And I hope the PVC Berserker IS the same sculpt...they'd be dumb to NOT use the same mold...cheaper and easier to do it that way....

Pretty sure you can't use the same mold for resin as you do PVC.

Derek I'd give you $1,000 for that. Man it is freakin AWESOME!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent diorama Derek, worth the expectation. :)

Zodd's fur couldn't have been painted better, the blood on the teeth is a nifty detail, and the horn is very well done, as realistic as can be. The blood on the claws is also a nice addition. The base itself is really cool, even though the trees are too close to the characters compared to what's shown in the manga. More swords would have done the trick, but it's still good that way, not much is lost.

The only bad point would be Guts to me, he's proportionally too big next to Zodd, but given the size of that Zodd kit it would have been hard to have a smaller Guts anyway... I also don't like his pose very much, and his armor isn't correct, he wore a different version at that time (upgraded before he went to save Casca in Albion). Anyway that's overall a real success I'd say, and a splendid addition to your collection, congrats. :)

Apart from that side, Puck's teeth still bother me, it does look funny though. :p

Headless Death said:
How large is the base of the Diorama?

Well, I haven't received it yet (John shipped it to me a few days ago). But from what he told me, the base measures around 14 x 14 inches. So it's not HUGE, but definitely a lot wider than most bases. Actually, my one and only display case is pretty small... and it measures around 14 x 14 inches too. So if it doesn't fit in my case, I dunno where I'm gonna put the sucker!

Maiku said:
Derek I'd give you $1,000 for that. Man it is freakin AWESOME!

Haha, well, the kit is only a little over $100 on YJ right now. So in theory, you can buy one and get someone to paint it up for way less than $1,000. But I'm sure you already knew that =P.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys and girls! I'll pass them onto John. In terms of what kit is next... well I'm not sure. I think I have to save up some of my money first, and pay off some bills, so I probably won't have another kit done until the end of next month. =/ Sorry to keep ya'll waiting.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
DirectDK said:
Well, I haven't received it yet (John shipped it to me a few days ago). But from what he told me, the base measures around 14 x 14 inches. So it's not HUGE, but definitely a lot wider than most bases. Actually, my one and only display case is pretty small... and it measures around 14 x 14 inches too. So if it doesn't fit in my case, I dunno where I'm gonna put the sucker!
If I had a statue with that large a base, I would be unsure where to put it. :eek:
It wouldn't fit in any of the places I have available. You may just have to spring forth the cash for another possibly larger display case one of these days.

DirectDK said:
Haha, well, the kit is only a little over $100 on YJ right now.  So in theory, you can buy one and get someone to paint it up for way less than $1,000.  But I'm sure you already knew that =P.

Well I'm including the diorama and the custom figure :p.

Wow...your Zodd custom is incredible. I actually like that even better than the Art of War Zodd. Congratulations.

I agree with others who have said that Guts doesn't quite measure up to Zodd. The pose Guts is doing works well, but I don't like the figure much other than that.

P.S. Are you thinking about having Griffith on horseback painted soon?

Derek, if I purchased a custom kit, would John be willing to paint it for me? Maybe you could PM me how much it usually costs. I'm thinking about eventually picking up that same Zodd.

BillyBudd said:
Derek, if I purchased a custom kit, would John be willing to paint it for me? Maybe you could PM me how much it usually costs. I'm thinking about eventually picking up that same Zodd.

It says on his site, John will not paint any Berserk items for anyone but Derek. Heres the snippet:

I am fine with giving you the contact information of my painter, John Allred, but you should know that he has already agreed to paint Berserk kits exclusively for me. This is because many esteemed painters will not paint the same kit twice. Doing so will devalue both completed models and more importantly, it's not artistically exciting for the artist. Imagine if you are a artist/painter, and you had to paint the same picture twice...

With that being said, since I own many Berserk kits and because I intend to have him paint every one of them, he'll be occupied with them for quite some time. Moreover, we have made an agreement that as long as I continuously supply him Berserk kits, he will not work on any other Berserk items (even if I don't have that kit, in the case that eventually I do get it).

However, if you need help finding a painter, I will gladly try my best to help and possibly point you in the right direction. Thank you for understanding.

I am sure you arent the first to ask since his work is badass ;)

I can't say that I'm surprised. I'm beginning to learn how things work in the collectible business. At this designer toy forum I visit, one member (who is actually really cool and really helpful) won't reveal his Japanese contacts because he's afraid someone might end up getting one of the toys he wants.

For the right price, I bet John would paint the same kit at some point in the future. Of course, I'm a broke bastard, so it won't be me asking him to paint it :p

BillyBudd said:
I can't say that I'm surprised. I'm beginning to learn how things work in the collectible business. At this designer toy forum I visit, one member (who is actually really cool and really helpful) won't reveal his Japanese contacts because he's afraid someone might end up getting one of the toys he wants.

For the right price, I bet John would paint the same kit at some point in the future. Of course, I'm a broke bastard, so it won't be me asking him to paint it :p

Hhaha yeah I am the same way, I have been spending the majority of my money on Berserk collectibles as of late. I would like to learn to put together and paint resin models, I am actually a pretty good painter with a steady hand, just need someone to learn from in this case.

BillyBudd said:

Hey BillyBudd, yah... pretty much Grendelrt took care of answering that question (thanks grendelrt! ;)).

And actually, you may want to hold off on picking up that Zoddo, you know why??? GET THIS EVERYBODY:

HEADLONG IS MAKING A 40CM ZODDO KIT

*takes a deep breath*

WITH WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He emailed me and told me that. I'm not sure if he wants me to tell people or not, but I just HAVE to share the good news! He expects it to come out next spring.

grendelrt said:
Hhaha yeah I am the same way, I have been spending the majority of my money on Berserk collectibles as of late. I would like to learn to put together and paint resin models, I am actually a pretty good painter with a steady hand, just need someone to learn from in this case.

That's cool you have artistic talent like that. I wish I did! But for "tips", you should check out http://www.hobbyfanatics.com. It's a really useful site with plenty of great and friendly people that can assist you with any questions you have. It was because of that forum, I found someone who referred me to someone, who then referred me to John =). Seriously, great site.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
That beherit is gross... :-X Not that I'm discovering it but man... AOW failed on this one. Nice update otherwise DirectDK, I especially like the sitting Puck and the Busts.

Top Bottom