Author Topic: Why so hard on Casca!?!  (Read 14678 times)

Offline Kenoh-Sama

• Of the Interstice
  • "What is love? Not that I want some or anything"
Why so hard on Casca!?!
« on: January 07, 2002, 03:12:22 PM »
Why are some people trashing Casca so Badly? I don't get it. She's a very simple person in an extraordinary situation. People say she's weak. I don't see it as that. She picked up the slack when Griffith was captured and Guts was out of the picture. She could barely feed herself. Barely take care of her soldiers who were on the run from The midland army and rougue mercanaries. She was a woman who more than held her ground in a mans battle field. Which also made her a target but she persevered. Besides Guts she was the best swordsman there. She even kept her calm when they first were surrounded by those demons during festival. When she was being raped by Griffith she told Guts not to look at her so it wouldn't cause him any more anguish.

Then her mind becomes unglued. After being mentally and physically raped she's become ferral and diffucult to take care of. She can't communicate with anyone. She can't really take care of herself. She's not Casca anymore. Since then she's been subjected to witch burnings, multiple attacks of rape from humans and apostles. Not to mention being kidnapped by religious fanatics. Now all of these accuasations about her being weak. I don't see it. I don't buy it. She had conflicts within her sure. Does that make her weak? Does that make anybody with self doubt weak? The fact that she evaluates herself make her weak? No. She's a confused young woman who went through a lot of unfair shit. What I want to know is what exactly makes her weak? I doubt many people are as strong as she was to begin with.

Why is everyone hard on Casca? Character wise she's had it really fucking bad. I mean, is it because they think it's easier for Guts to say "screw it. She's to much of a hassle. I'll go hook up with Farnese. It's easier that way." Or is there any other scenario people would perfer? Like I said before I don't see why people are coming down so hard on a person who didn't do anything wrong. If anything she's been victimized countless times. Is it because she has been the victim against demons and demi-gods she's weak?  Her personality and little love triangle thingie with G&G is not unique. Her inner conflict between G&G was caused her grief but it's nothing anyone of us hasn't gone through. So what makes her weak?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 11:00:00 PM by 1031209200 »
Why is it so hard to be a good guy?

Offline crazyCelt

Re: Why so hard on Casca!?!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2002, 03:50:15 PM »
Amen. Leave poor Casca alone. Keep in mind Guts was raped once by a guy he had no emotional connection with. Casca was raped by the man who gave her meaning to life (in newly demon form no less) and ironically who once saved her from rape. She is continually fending off more rape attempts, so is it any wonder she's catatonic? If she is able to recover mentally, she will prove to be the strongest character in Berserk without question. Yes, Casca has an incredibly well proportioned body and luscious skin tone but that is only part of why she's a great character, Puella.  ;)
Yeah well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man. - the Dude

Offline puella

• Gourmet Elf
  • Of the Abyss
  • Popopopopopopopo!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2002, 04:09:15 PM »
I didn't say Casca is totally weak. never!
and even said I did know she's strong.
what I said about her body is sorta joke but it is true her nudity is too often, isn't it?

hey, guys.
What I want to say is about real "strength" especially for women as a woman. and Fishbomb's post about "Casca on the fall " is so general that everybody knows. not that dislike "general" , I want to put "other point of view".
Just think. We've been always or usually talking about each character's good point. and when somebody starts to condemn characters, he or she is always attacked. I hate this.
you know, "Criticiznig" is much harder than "Praising".
Besides, the criticizing has love and interest as much as praising does. I want you to know all this. ;)

Offline Fishbomb

• Of the Nexus
  • Fear the slightly white swordsman!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2002, 04:11:37 PM »
*grins* We're not just hard on Casca, we're actually discussing her for the first time since I've been here. I adore her (should be obvious from my pic) and I feel that she has got so little exposure. We have discussed Griffith and Guts, hell, even Skully and Zodd a lot more than we have her! Strange, eh? She's a wonderful character who has literally been through hell and back. But... as with all strong characters some people are going to dislike them as well. Especially if they feel theoy should identify with them for some reason, and they dissapoint them. Kenoh-Sama, I know we have totally different views about Griffith, because he's a complex character. And you and Puella have different views about Casca... because she's also a complex character. All fine and well I say.

Just wanted to say that this discussion was not started to slag anything, and I don't think we have. People just have different opinions. They are going to have that about anything... except people like Luca who are so gosh darn nice they are impossible to dislike.

And... *grins* Casca has certainly got the center stage now, she deserves these discussions!
Visit the home of the Skaven!

The UnderEmpire always welcomes new rats into the warm comfy tunnels. Join the online campaign, trade painting tips or find that perfect sneaky tactic to defeat your opponent.

Rattsu, Member of the Council of Thirteen

http://s6.invisionfree.com/The_UnderEmpire/

Offline Faust

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2002, 05:11:16 PM »

Why is everyone hard on Casca?

As far as I know, Puella is the only one that is really trashing Casca.  I've always thought of her is sort of the female version of Guts.

Offline puella

• Gourmet Elf
  • Of the Abyss
  • Popopopopopopopo!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2002, 05:26:58 PM »

As far as I know, Puella is the only one that is really trashing Casca. ?

true

I've always thought of her is sort of the female version of Guts.

:-[

Offline Chinmi

• Of the Interstice
  • The best defense is a good offence!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2002, 05:42:42 AM »
Code: [Select]
Why are some people trashing Casca so Badly? I don't get it. She's a very simple person in an extraordinary situation.
                              People say she's weak. I don't see it as that. She picked up the slack when Griffith was captured and Guts was out of
                              the picture. She could barely feed herself. Barely take care of her soldiers who were on the run from The midland army
                              and rougue mercanaries. She was a woman who more than held her ground in a mans battle field. Which also made her
                              a target but she persevered. Besides Guts she was the best swordsman there. She even kept her calm when they first
                              were surrounded by those demons during festival. When she was being raped by Griffith she told Guts not to look at her
                              so it wouldn't cause him any more anguish.

Then her mind becomes unglued. After being mentally and physically raped she's become ferral and diffucult to take care
                              of. She can't communicate with anyone. She can't really take care of herself. She's not Casca anymore. Since then
                              she's been subjected to witch burnings, multiple attacks of rape from humans and apostles. Not to mention being
                              kidnapped by religious fanatics. Now all of these accuasations about her being weak. I don't see it. I don't buy it. She had
                              conflicts within her sure. Does that make her weak? Does that make anybody with self doubt weak? The fact that she
                              evaluates herself make her weak? No. She's a confused young woman who went through a lot of unfair shit. What I want
                              to know is what exactly makes her weak? I doubt many people are as strong as she was to begin with.

Why is everyone hard on Casca? Character wise she's had it really fucking bad. I mean, is it because they think it's
                              easier for Guts to say "screw it. She's to much of a hassle. I'll go hook up with Farnese. It's easier that way." Or is there
                              any other scenario people would perfer? Like I said before I don't see why people are coming down so hard on a person
                              who didn't do anything wrong. If anything she's been victimized countless times. Is it because she has been the victim
                              against demons and demi-gods she's weak?  Her personality and little love triangle thingie with G&G is not unique. Her
                              inner conflict between G&G was caused her grief but it's nothing anyone of us hasn't gone through. So what makes her
                              weak?

That's what I been trying to say but u said it better.

Offline roberto999

• Of the Nexus
  • The Black Chick of Darkness
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2002, 03:38:24 PM »
The real question should be: why the female fans hate Casca so? It is not only in this bbs:In every berserk dedicated forum i have visited  i noticed this: But what is the REAL reason? I ask you female members: The naked truth, please:
Hey I am reborn

Offline puella

• Gourmet Elf
  • Of the Abyss
  • Popopopopopopopo!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2002, 04:09:17 PM »

The real question should be: why the female fans hate Casca so? It is not only in this bbs:In every berserk dedicated forum i have visited  i noticed this: But what is the REAL reason? I ask you female members: The naked truth, please:

Well, actually I don't want to talk about Casca anymore.
but I just want to answer your question.
It's very different from 'hate' roberto999.
Suppose I had a friend like Casca(both sane and insane),
I'd surely feel sorry for her and appreciate her ability.
However I'd not forget to add to say"Wake up!".
if you don't fully understand, it's natural because you're a Man.
Why some Female fans don't like her? because they are females!
that could be the main reason.
They can't stand Casca.
In a way, Casca is all the same as Charlotte.

See the following.

1)one group(like Casca)
sane Casca-- a gorgeous great fighter
insane Casca- a poor important sacrifice

2) the other group(don't like Casca)
sane Casca- a loyal servant for Griffith and has a strong fixation on him
insane Casca - a helpless whining thing(or vegetable)

and for me, both are quite right.

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2002, 04:27:37 PM »

They can't stand Casca.

So, you only dislike Casca because she’s a woman?

Reverse sexism, it’s not a pretty thing. ;D

-Griffith

Offline roberto999

• Of the Nexus
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2002, 06:22:18 AM »

Well, actually I don't want to talk about Casca anymore.
but I just want to answer your question.
It's very different from 'hate' roberto999.
Suppose I had a friend like Casca(both sane and insane),
I'd surely feel sorry for her and appreciate her ability.
However I'd not forget to add to say"Wake up!".
if you don't fully understand, it's natural because you're a Man.
They can't stand Casca.
In a way, Casca is all the same as Charlotte.

See the following.

1)one group(like Casca)

2) the other group(don't like Casca)
sane Casca- a loyal servant for Griffith and has a strong fixation on him
insane Casca - a helpless whining thing(or vegetable)

and for me, both are quite right.
It is true both are right, one half. Casca, like real person,is the two half put togheter and is this the thing that make every one of us a individual. However if you point out only my good points, or only my bad points, it has nothing to do with that i am but it is a reflection of how you WANT to see me. Escuse my poor english:it is not my natural language you know
Hey I am reborn

Offline roberto999

• Of the Nexus
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2002, 01:14:57 AM »

So, you only dislike Casca because she’s a woman?

Reverse sexism, it’s not a pretty thing. ;D

-Griffith
I don't think the women among us dislike Casca because she is woman, but because they see in her a sort of archetype either (how clearly stated Puella)  a gorgeus warrior  that looks at her (male) boss like a god or a helpless vegetable and they fear that we (the males) could see them in the same light. However that was not the way that Miura portraied Casca: he did(with the right combination of light and shadows) create a true person. Her hero worship of  Griffith was not different than that professed,one way or the other, by her male counterparts but no one ever told nothing about it because, since they are males, no one can accuse them to be hopelessly in love with Griffith. Well,and I know that for what I am about to say, I will be crucified, neither was Casca. Sure she worshipied Griffith for the things that he did for her (please try to figure what her life should been, a woman with her looks, daughter of poor farmer, in medioeval times,if she didn't met him), but she didn't love him how she did (and I think she does yet) Guts. She did love him the minute that she saw him. The proof : the punch that she gave Guts when he was just out the bed (and she did sleep with him to keep him warm and alive)
Hey I am reborn

Offline Maximus

• Of the Nexus
  • Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2002, 10:45:37 AM »

She did love him the minute that she saw him. The proof : the punch that she gave Guts when he was just out the bed (and she did sleep with him to keep him warm and alive)

She was sleeping at the side of guts because Griffith told her to.At that point Guts is just a stranger who made her doubt about her importance in griffith dream.
No,i guess at that time she really hates Guts.
"Don't be afraid of the dark"

Offline Kenoh-Sama

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2002, 07:07:36 AM »

1)one group(like Casca)

If that's your take on why some of us like Casca you don't get her character.

Offline Fishbomb

• Of the Nexus
  • Fear the slightly white swordsman!
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2002, 07:42:11 AM »
I'm female. Casca's my second favourite character, both sane and insane.

My little list:

Griffith
Casca
Puck
Guts

but really... the positions between them could change depending on my mood, and they're all what I consider the central characters in berserk.

I think the real question should be, how come female fans of a manga/anime/game often dislike the female characters? Which is very, very true...

My friend (a sociologist) and me sat and discussed that yesterday, and came to a few interesting conclusions. Might post it later if I get the time...
Visit the home of the Skaven!

The UnderEmpire always welcomes new rats into the warm comfy tunnels. Join the online campaign, trade painting tips or find that perfect sneaky tactic to defeat your opponent.

Rattsu, Member of the Council of Thirteen

http://s6.invisionfree.com/The_UnderEmpire/

Offline Kenoh-Sama

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2002, 08:27:37 AM »
I'm female. Casca's my second favourite character, both sane and insane.

My little list:

Griffith
Casca
Puck
Guts

but really... the positions between them could change depending on my mood, and they're all what I consider the central characters in berserk.

I think the real question should be, how come female fans of a manga/anime/game often dislike the female characters? Which is very, very true...

My friend (a sociologist) and me sat and discussed that yesterday, and came to a few interesting conclusions. Might post it later if I get the time...

I'm not totally sure either. I know lots of girls who hate miaka but of course love tamahome (fushigi yuugi). I'm curious to read what your friend had to say. The one thing I've kind of noticed about some female characters in comics is that they have a difficult time making decisions (which normally in the context of the story is understandable). Which makes them frustrating to read for anyone. But From a female point of view I'm sure it's even more so. Like I said I would like to read what your friend had to say.

Offline Nadiaska

• Of the Interstice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2002, 12:47:02 PM »
I harmonize that the life of insane is being very hard for Casca and I still think the author is wasting her leaving her so much time of that way. I will explain better: The paper of Casca in the history a dramatic paper, a girl that had to try of everything in the life was always, until losing your dreams to find your true feelings. She is one of the few characters of it really encourages human, in the sense of going away always of the obligatory beautiful and irritating girl of all encourages, she was like this at the beginning of the history and I admit that it didn't like her nor a little, but suddenly, she gave one it closes in the face and it proved that  was stopping being a stupid girl, to become a woman complete, intelligent and with the feet in the ground, I believe that the jealousy and the attraction that it felt for Guts in the beginning helped her to see in the darkness. Suddenly it happens it eclipses and your largest tragedy has I begin, she loses her of the world in that lives. I cannot speak badly about the author for that, until why after going by whole that hell, to lose your son and sees one of the most important people of your life, sacrificing your allies and you rape her, it is not thing to forget so fast. Only that insane Casca already gave what she had to give, it is already in the hour of old Casca to return. It would be too annoying to see her returning to the normal in the last volume of the mangá and I only ask that Miura doesn't make a thing of those, Casca it was already very humiliated and now she has be the warrior woman again. :)

Offline Nomad

• Of the Vortex
  • "Bring the light of day"
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2002, 01:13:55 PM »
why so hard on Casca.....HMMMMMmmmm.... because I am bored.

Offline Kuroi-san

• Of the Nexus
  • Gonna do something, or just stand there and bleed?
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2002, 02:30:17 PM »
why so hard on Casca.....HMMMMMmmmm.... because I am bored.

You're not funny!
You die first, get it? Your friends might get me in a rush but not before I turn your head into a canoe. What's it gonna be?

Offline puella

• Gourmet Elf
  • Of the Abyss
  • Popopopopopopopo!
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2002, 03:39:24 PM »

You're not funny!

really nice icon! CnC is damn cool at that.  8)
and how about these ones for your icon?  :)

**hope not intruding...

Offline Strix

• Of the World
  • bwahahahahahaha !
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2002, 03:56:14 PM »
really nice icon!

I'm agree! :o

Offline Vampire_Hunter_Bob

• SK.net Sergeant at Arms
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2002, 06:42:58 PM »

CnC has the best icon ever.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2002, 07:37:47 PM »

and how about these ones for your icon?  :)
**hope not intruding...

Yeah. As admin and person who $$$pays$$$ for the bandwidth on the site, im going to have to go ahead and INSIST that it be changed.

*changes it for kuroi-san*
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline Kuroi-san

• Of the Nexus
  • Gonna do something, or just stand there and bleed?
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2002, 01:04:56 PM »
Erhm, yeah.

I stole it from your site  ;D

I think its your site anyway.

Anyhow, Walter said it was too big so...

Its back to my old one...  :'(
You die first, get it? Your friends might get me in a rush but not before I turn your head into a canoe. What's it gonna be?

Offline All_4_Yume

• Of the Interstice
  • Yume Chaser
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2002, 06:33:55 PM »
 The reason I'm hard on Casca is that the ambitions she had for herself was so low.  I know must have been hard to be a woman living back then especially when women where supposed to cling to some man to find their place in the world (wife/mother) but she took it to the extreme.  Her whole reason in life was to be used by Griffiith so I find it hard to feel sorry for her.  She kinda got what she wanted.  She was there when Griffith needed her the most (making Guts look like a bitch and being Griffith's vessal back into the real world).  I feel sorry for Guts because at least when he found out he was a tool for Griffith he at least got out and tried to be his own man.  Guts wanted more out of his life and he wanted Griffith's respect so I can respect him.  Woman or not, I don't know if I can feel the same thing for Casca.
"I can't live simply because I was born."
-Griffith