Why so hard on Casca!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
Why are some people trashing Casca so Badly? I don't get it. She's a very simple person in an extraordinary situation. People say she's weak. I don't see it as that. She picked up the slack when Griffith was captured and Guts was out of the picture. She could barely feed herself. Barely take care of her soldiers who were on the run from The midland army and rougue mercanaries. She was a woman who more than held her ground in a mans battle field. Which also made her a target but she persevered. Besides Guts she was the best swordsman there. She even kept her calm when they first were surrounded by those demons during festival. When she was being raped by Griffith she told Guts not to look at her so it wouldn't cause him any more anguish.

Then her mind becomes unglued. After being mentally and physically raped she's become ferral and diffucult to take care of. She can't communicate with anyone. She can't really take care of herself. She's not Casca anymore. Since then she's been subjected to witch burnings, multiple attacks of rape from humans and apostles. Not to mention being kidnapped by religious fanatics. Now all of these accuasations about her being weak. I don't see it. I don't buy it. She had conflicts within her sure. Does that make her weak? Does that make anybody with self doubt weak? The fact that she evaluates herself make her weak? No. She's a confused young woman who went through a lot of unfair shit. What I want to know is what exactly makes her weak? I doubt many people are as strong as she was to begin with.

Why is everyone hard on Casca? Character wise she's had it really fucking bad. I mean, is it because they think it's easier for Guts to say "screw it. She's to much of a hassle. I'll go hook up with farneese. It's easier that way." Or is there any other scenario people would perfer? Like I said before I don't see why people are coming down so hard on a person who didn't do anything wrong. If anything she's been victimized countless times. Is it because she has been the victim against demons and demi-gods she's weak? Her personality and little love triangle thingie with G&G is not unique. Her inner conflict between G&G was caused her grief but it's nothing anyone of us hasn't gone through. So what makes her weak?

Amen. Leave poor Casca alone. Keep in mind Guts was raped once by a guy he had no emotional connection with. Casca was raped by the man who gave her meaning to life (in newly demon form no less) and ironically who once saved her from rape. She is continually fending off more rape attempts, so is it any wonder she's catatonic? If she is able to recover mentally, she will prove to be the strongest character in Berserk without question. Yes, Casca has an incredibly well proportioned body and luscious skin tone but that is only part of why she's a great character, Puella. ;)

puella

Berserk forever
I didn't say Caska is totally weak. never!
and even said I did know she's strong.
what I said about her body is sorta joke but it is true her nudity is too often, isn't it?

hey, guys.
What I want to say is about real "strength" especially for women as a woman. and Fishbomb's post about "Caska on the fall " is so general that everybody knows. not that dislike "general" , I want to put "other point of view".
Just think. We've been always or usually talking about each character's good point. and when somebody starts to condemn characters, he or she is always attacked. I hate this.
you know, "Criticiznig" is much harder than "Praising".
Besides, the criticizing has love and interest as much as praising does. I want you to know all this. ;)

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
*grins* We're not just hard on Casca, we're actually discussing her for the first time since I've been here. I adore her (should be obvious from my pic) and I feel that she has got so little exposure. We have discussed Griffith and Gatts, hell, even Skully and Zodd a lot more than we have her! Strange, eh? She's a wonderful character who has literally been through hell and back. But... as with all strong characters some people are going to dislike them as well. Especially if they feel theoy should identify with them for some reason, and they dissapoint them. Kenoh-Sama, I know we have totally different views about Griffith, because he's a complex character. And you and Puella have different views about Casca... because she's also a complex character. All fine and well I say.

Just wanted to say that this discussion was not started to slag anything, and I don't think we have. People just have different opinions. They are going to have that about anything... except people like Luca who are so gosh darn nice they are impossible to dislike.

And... *grins* Casca has certainly got the center stage now, she deserves these discussions!

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
Code:
Why are some people trashing Casca so Badly? I don't get it. She's a very simple person in an extraordinary situation.
                               People say she's weak. I don't see it as that. She picked up the slack when Griffith was captured and Guts was out of
                               the picture. She could barely feed herself. Barely take care of her soldiers who were on the run from The midland army
                               and rougue mercanaries. She was a woman who more than held her ground in a mans battle field. Which also made her
                               a target but she persevered. Besides Guts she was the best swordsman there. She even kept her calm when they first
                               were surrounded by those demons during festival. When she was being raped by Griffith she told Guts not to look at her
                               so it wouldn't cause him any more anguish. 

Then her mind becomes unglued. After being mentally and physically raped she's become ferral and diffucult to take care
                               of. She can't communicate with anyone. She can't really take care of herself. She's not Casca anymore. Since then
                               she's been subjected to witch burnings, multiple attacks of rape from humans and apostles. Not to mention being
                               kidnapped by religious fanatics. Now all of these accuasations about her being weak. I don't see it. I don't buy it. She had
                               conflicts within her sure. Does that make her weak? Does that make anybody with self doubt weak? The fact that she
                               evaluates herself make her weak? No. She's a confused young woman who went through a lot of unfair shit. What I want
                               to know is what exactly makes her weak? I doubt many people are as strong as she was to begin with. 

Why is everyone hard on Casca? Character wise she's had it really fucking bad. I mean, is it because they think it's
                               easier for Guts to say "screw it. She's to much of a hassle. I'll go hook up with farneese. It's easier that way." Or is there
                               any other scenario people would perfer? Like I said before I don't see why people are coming down so hard on a person
                               who didn't do anything wrong. If anything she's been victimized countless times. Is it because she has been the victim
                               against demons and demi-gods she's weak?  Her personality and little love triangle thingie with G&G is not unique. Her
                               inner conflict between G&G was caused her grief but it's nothing anyone of us hasn't gone through. So what makes her
                               weak?

That's what I been trying to say but u said it better.

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
The real question should be: why the female fans hate Caska so? It is not only in this bbs:In every berserk dedicated forum i have visited i noticed this: But what is the REAL reason? I ask you female members: The naked truth, please:

puella

Berserk forever
The real question should be: why the female fans hate Caska so? It is not only in this bbs:In every berserk dedicated forum i have visited  i noticed this: But what is the REAL reason? I ask you female members: The naked truth, please:
Well, actually I don't want to talk about Caska anymore.
but I just want to answer your question.
It's very different from 'hate' roberto999.
Suppose I had a friend like Caska(both sane and insane),
I'd surely feel sorry for her and appreciate her ability.
However I'd not forget to add to say"Wake up!".
if you don't fully understand, it's natural because you're a Man.
Why some Female fans don't like her? because they are females!
that could be the main reason.
They can't stand Caska.
In a way, Caska is all the same as Charlotte.

See the following.

1)one group(like Caska)
sane Caska-- a gorgeous great fighter
insane Caska- a poor important sacrifice

2) the other group(don't like Caska)
sane Caska- a loyal servant for Griffith and has a strong fixation on him
insane Caska - a helpless whining thing(or vegetable)

and for me, both are quite right.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
They can't stand Caska.
So, you only dislike Caska because she’s a woman?

Reverse sexism, it’s not a pretty thing. ;D

-Griffith

roberto999

Well, actually I don't want to talk about Caska anymore.
but I just want to answer your question.
It's very different from 'hate' roberto999.
Suppose I had a friend like Caska(both sane and insane),
I'd surely feel sorry for her and appreciate her ability.
However I'd not forget to add to say"Wake up!".
if you don't fully understand, it's natural because you're a Man.
They can't stand Caska.
In a way, Caska is all the same as Charlotte.

See the following.

1)one group(like Caska)

2) the other group(don't like Caska)
sane Caska- a loyal servant for Griffith and has a strong fixation on him
insane Caska - a helpless whining thing(or vegetable)

and for me, both are quite right.
It is true both are right, one half. Caska, like real person,is the two half put togheter and is this the thing that make every one of us a individual. However if you point out only my good points, or only my bad points, it has nothing to do with that i am but it is a reflection of how you WANT to see me. Escuse my poor english:it is not my natural language you know

roberto999

So, you only dislike Caska because she’s a woman?

Reverse sexism, it’s not a pretty thing. ;D

-Griffith
I don't think the women among us dislike Caska because she is woman, but because they see in her a sort of archetype either (how clearly stated Puella)  a gorgeus warrior  that looks at her (male) boss like a god or a helpless vegetable and they fear that we (the males) could see them in the same light. However that was not the way that Miura portraied Caska: he did(with the right combination of light and shadows) create a true person. Her hero worship of  Griffith was not different than that professed,one way or the other, by her male counterparts but no one ever told nothing about it because, since they are males, no one can accuse them to be hopelessly in love with Griffith. Well,and I know that for what I am about to say, I will be crucified, neither was Caska. Sure she worshipied Griffith for the things that he did for her (please try to figure what her life should been, a woman with her looks, daughter of poor farmer, in medioeval times,if she didn't met him), but she didn't love him how she did (and I think she does yet) Gutts. She did love him the minute that she saw him. The proof : the punch that she gave Gutts when he was just out the bed (and she did sleep with him to keep him warm and alive)

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
She did love him the minute that she saw him. The proof : the punch that she gave Gutts when he was just out the bed (and she did sleep with him to keep him warm and alive)
She was sleeping at the side of guts because Griffith told her to.At that point Guts is just a stranger who made her doubt about her importance in griffith dream.
No,i guess at that time she really hates Guts.

Kenoh-Sama

1)one group(like Caska)

If that's your take on why some of us like Casca you don't get her character.

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
I'm female. Casca's my second favourite character, both sane and insane.

My little list:

Griffith
Casca
Pakk
Gatts

but really... the positions between them could change depending on my mood, and they're all what I consider the central characters in berserk.

I think the real question should be, how come female fans of a manga/anime/game often dislike the female characters? Which is very, very true...

My friend (a sociologist) and me sat and discussed that yesterday, and came to a few interesting conclusions. Might post it later if I get the time...

Kenoh-Sama

I'm female. Casca's my second favourite character, both sane and insane.

My little list:

Griffith
Casca
Pakk
Gatts

but really... the positions between them could change depending on my mood, and they're all what I consider the central characters in berserk.

I think the real question should be, how come female fans of a manga/anime/game often dislike the female characters? Which is very, very true...

My friend (a sociologist) and me sat and discussed that yesterday, and came to a few interesting conclusions. Might post it later if I get the time...

I'm not totally sure either. I know lots of girls who hate miaka but of course love tamahome (fushigi yuugi). I'm curious to read what your friend had to say. The one thing I've kind of noticed about some female characters in comics is that they have a difficult time making decisions (which normally in the context of the story is understandable). Which makes them frustrating to read for anyone. But From a female point of view I'm sure it's even more so. Like I said I would like to read what your friend had to say.

Nadiaska

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I harmonize that the life of insane is being very hard for Caska and I still think the author is wasting her leaving her so much time of that way. I will explain better: The paper of Caska in the history a dramatic paper, a girl that had to try of everything in the life was always, until losing your dreams to find your true feelings. She is one of the few characters of it really encourages human, in the sense of going away always of the obligatory beautiful and irritating girl of all encourages, she was like this at the beginning of the history and I admit that it didn't like her nor a little, but suddenly, she gave one it closes in the face and it proved that was stopping being a stupid girl, to become a woman complete, intelligent and with the feet in the ground, I believe that the jealousy and the attraction that it felt for Gatts in the beginning helped her to see in the darkness. Suddenly it happens it eclipses and your largest tragedy has I begin, she loses her of the world in that lives. I cannot speak badly about the author for that, until why after going by whole that hell, to lose your son and sees one of the most important people of your life, sacrificing your allies and you rape her, it is not thing to forget so fast. Only that insane Caska already gave what she had to give, it is already in the hour of old Caska to return. It would be too annoying to see her returning to the normal in the last volume of the mangá and I only ask that Miura doesn't make a thing of those, Caska it was already very humiliated and now she has be the warrior woman again. :)

puella

Berserk forever
You're not funny!
really nice icon! CnC is damn cool at that. 8)
and how about these ones for your icon?  :)

Serpicofull2.JPG
serpico3.jpg

**hope not intruding...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
really nice icon! CnC is damn cool at that.  8)
and how about these ones for your icon?  :)
**hope not intruding...
Yeah. As admin and person who $$$pays$$$ for the bandwidth on the site, im going to have to go ahead and INSIST that it be changed.

*changes it for kuroi-san*

Kuroi-san

Gonna do something, or just stand there and bleed?
Erhm, yeah.

I stole it from your site ;D

I think its your site anyway.

Anyhow, Walter said it was too big so...

Its back to my old one... :'(

All_4_Yume

Yume Chaser
The reason I'm hard on Casca is that the ambitions she had for herself was so low. I know must have been hard to be a woman living back then especially when women where supposed to cling to some man to find their place in the world (wife/mother) but she took it to the extreme. Her whole reason in life was to be used by Griffiith so I find it hard to feel sorry for her. She kinda got what she wanted. She was there when Griffith needed her the most (making Gatts look like a bitch and being Griffith's vessal back into the real world). I feel sorry for Gatts because at least when he found out he was a tool for Griffith he at least got out and tried to be his own man. Gatts wanted more out of his life and he wanted Griffith's respect so I can respect him. Woman or not, I don't know if I can feel the same thing for Casca.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom