How do you purchase Berserk?

I've been collecting the taiwanese version of berserk (up to vol27) but recently my country (singapore) seems to be stopping the import of comics like berserk  :'(

so! how do you guys get your berserk manga, and what language is it in? i think english is out of the question, cos last i checked on amazon it's only out to about vol6, euww ....

does everyone here get the jpn version then read w online translation?

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Erinu said:
does everyone here get the Jpn version then read w online translation?
Well, that's what I do.
I just ordered vol.28 last week, and then I use the translations I find online to read.

Erinu said:
so! how do you guys get your berserk manga, and what language is it in? i think english is out of the question, cos last i checked on amazon it's only out to about vol6, euww ....
Sadly :'(, yes it is true.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Erinu said:
does everyone here get the jpn version then read w online translation?

I read the Japanese version along with translations. I've got all the volumes released so far. My wife also purchases the Korean version (27 volumes out, 28 will be very soon).

S

Some Guy

I've been buying the English Manga, though I have been purchasing the Japanese Manga lately.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Japanese volumes, because that IS Berserk; anything less is unacceptable. =)

I do plan to get the English releases, but I'm in no hurry, and I figure the more printings they produce in the meantime, the more mistakes they'll fix without the quality of future reprints going down too much; I don't see how Dark Horse can cut more costs, unless they literally starts doing Berserk in newspaper print. I admit, it's a gamble. 8)

I think in my secret heart I'm holding onto some pathetic dream that a hero company willcome in, rescue Berserk from Dark Horse, and start cranking out out English volumes of awesome quality. Something that would put everything else to shame; 8" x 11" hardcover, thick white paper with gilded edges, textured to the touch, but smooth to the  eye, finely printed ink black as a starless night, produced by Skull Knight Net Publishing , translated by Olivier Ha...

Nevermind, I've said too much already. ;)

Ok, I guess the natural conclusion is that I should start getting the Japanese version. ;D

But since it's weird to just start at vol. 28 it means I'll have to get 1-27 as well to complete the (current) collection, erk. :-\

Any recommendations for good sites which do cheap international shipping? :) Because the best I've found so far is ~11USD per volume. Only other alternative is to wait until I go Tokyo to holiday (not soon enough :().

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Yeah, I buy it in English and Japanese both.  The English to read, the Japanese to read the fights.  ;)

If I had money to burn I'd be in serious danger of buying those oversized Italian (?) editions.  I'm not as interested in getting it in YA, even though the large format would be cool.

Even if it was all out in English I think I'd still be buying the Japanese volumes too - screentones don't come out quite right and frankly English doesn't look as cool.  And I'm IMPATIENT!  And I like to have the original version to scan bits out of and to (try) to check translations against.  I can pretend it will encourage me to learn Japanese.

I also reccommend paying extra for faster shipping.  Slow shipping = sucks.

I think Lucid has a few sets of Berserk manga for sale.  At least, they're still listed in her online catalog. I buy pretty much all my manga from her (cause she accepts Paypal) and she rocks.  Ask her for any manga you want.  You'll end up chatting a little via email.  Her English is good but not perfect, so she likes to triple-check everything to make sure it's right.

Uh, yeah, and follow Aaz's link to the manga purchasing thread for many more choices.   8)

Thanks for the suggestion(s) :)

I think I'll just read online and stick with what I have (1-27 in chinese) until I make a trip to Japan. Since Berserk comes out at a speed of 2/yr, I won't be missing much in the interim I guess ;D

I buy the english ones but i might start buying the japanese ones /w reading translations. As of now Dark Horse is up to Vol.8 with Vol.9 coming in July so its not that long between issues give or take around 2-3 months time span. ::)

VashTheStampede said:
I buy the english ones but i might start buying the japanese ones /w reading translations. As of now Dark Horse is up to Vol.8 with Vol.9 coming in July

October. The three month wait is painful, but at least that gives me time to save up (it's real pricey up here in Canada, eh?).

Hi everyone, I want to buy all the Berserk Volumes (tankobon :???:) (japanese its the best edition according to the forum). I think I'll buy it from Yes Asia, 'cause its free shipping. Anyway, somebody know how it's all the tax stuff? (if they charge it to your credit card or something). Or has anyone from South America buy berserk vol.? Any advise is useful.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
brinco said:
Anyway, somebody know how it's all the tax stuff? (if they charge it to your credit card or something). Or has anyone from South America buy berserk vol.? Any advise is useful.

You won't have to pay any tax to the shop directly, but depending on your country you might have to pay an import tax. I don't know about South America, but usually they take the taxes/fees when the package reaches your country (customs). Of course it's not always the case and for books it rarely happens here.

Thanks Aaz. I did a little research and I found that here in Chile, I don't have to pay an import tax, but (there is always a but) I have to pay VAT. Just curiosity, do pay that too?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
brinco said:
I did a little research and I found that here in Chile, I don't have to pay an import tax, but (there is always a but) I have to pay VAT.

Yeah, that's typical. With some luck you'll evade it (since usually the customs can't check every package, some go through).

brinco said:
Just curiosity, do pay that too?

Do who? I think there's a word missing here. :SK:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
I would like to take a moment to pimp the fabulous Lucid's manga service as well!  She runs a purchasing/online auction proxy service out of Yokosuka (on the :miura: peninsula, hehe) and is friendly and reliable and sends plenty of emails to prevent misunderstandings.   I purchase all my tankoubon and the occasional current YA magazine and YJ! auction item through her, and she's the one who redeemed the prize card for the SK member who won the CCG Miura autograph.  She charges around $2-3 commission per book/magazine and accepts Paypal and easily converted international money orders (check her site).

Her site is here:  http://reimari.jp/~lucid/

But for Berserk items just email her with your request.  (She doesn't have any old YA's by the way, all that stuff typically gets recycled, but she'll bid on YJ auctions of 'em for you. They end up being stupid expensive that way though.)

luckylucid@yahoo.co.jp

If you deal with her please be friendly and polite (she will probably double-check things with you quite a lot) and she will do her best to provide excellent service.

For example, I asked her about subscribing to YA though her, here's the exchange (and her estimate):

[quote author=Lith]One way to subscribe in the US, is through Sasugabooks.  They charge 25415.00 JPY for 1 year subscription and shipping, that is 24 magazines.  What would your price be?[/quote]

[quote author=Lucid]If I calculate roughly,
{290 JPY(Young Animal) + 200 JPY(Comission) + 280 JPY(SAL shipping) } X 24 = 18480 JPY(Total)

18480 JPY for 1 year?

If I send 2 berserk issues in a package, I think I can economize the
Shipping Charge.  Just little bit.

When there is no Berserk in it, I don't need to send the magazine?
If so, I can't guess the Total for a year.[/quote]

Of course this will vary with price/weight of the magazine, etc etc. I told her I would pass that along to SK.   :guts:

End pimp mode.  *puts down cane, takes off hat*

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
For example, I asked her about subscribing to YA though her, here's the exchange (and her estimate):

Of course this will vary with price/weight of the magazine, etc etc. I told her I would pass that along to SK. :guts:

You're totally right to advertise her service here because that's a pretty good deal actually, the price is very advantageous. So much that I'm considering it myself, thanks for the tip (although you had already told me about her years ago -__-).

Top Bottom