Favorite Berserk character

TheRedShadow

Don't turn around.
............Femto raped Caska and that means some of those emotions were Griffith's own, to me thats kinda unforgivable. In saying that I am going to have to conform and say I like Gattsu the most.

But an intriguing fellow is Silatt, tortured past, noble born, *street performer*, Gattsu's enemy while being an ally without intending to do so. Good Stuff. And he is the type of fighter i am in Kung Fu. But thats that.

El_Spico11

The power of death is intoxicating...
I have to go with Guts. I thought Griffith was great until the esclipse, oh well. I still respect Griffith because of how strong his ambition is, still a great character but not my favorite. I also like Judeau, he has a nice calm personality to him.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
mike.william said:
The beast. I like dogs, and I like sadistic bastards, so I like sadistic bastard dogs.

I can understand your choice, the Beast of Darkness isn't really simply a dog though. It has some evident canine properties but there's a reason it's called the Beast and not the "dog of darkness" or the "wolf of darkness".

I always thought it looked like a wolf, I think its called the beast because well it some rabid wolf looking thing, and the word beast is usually used for wild animals, not aggressive and rabid all the time but you get what i mean.

Beast

1. An animal other than a human, especially a large four-footed mammal.
2. New England & Southern U.S. A large domestic animal, especially a horse or bull.
2. Animal nature as opposed to intellect or spirit: “So far the beast in us has insisted upon having its full say” (William Dean Howells).
3. A brutal, contemptible person.

TheRedShadow

Don't turn around.
Another funny character would have to be Isidro. Remind me of Onizuka(facial expressions). Let me just say I like EVERYONE in Gut's group.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
mike.william said:
Dude, you are scaring me. Seriously. It looks like a dog, so just let me think it's a dog.

Nah, it's not just a dog. Seriously. And not just a "sadistic bastard" either. It only looks like a dog in some specific panels actually, but if you prefer to think of it that way and don't want to hear anything about it, it's up to you. I'm not saying it's unrelated either of course, hear me, it's about nuancing (wording?). Now maybe I read too much into your (casual) comment, not a big deal. :void:

Zelz said:
I always thought it looked like a wolf, I think its called the beast because well it some rabid wolf looking thing, and the word beast is usually used for wild animals, not aggressive and rabid all the time but you get what i mean.

Yeah, it'd be closer to a wolf than a dog in general, although it was depicted like a dog at some points (see volume 23 and one panel in 26), and more than as a wolf in recent volumes. The term "beast" refers to several things (and the definition you posted is incomplete), but it'd be pretty reductive to think it's for a lack of a better word to call a wild animal. Besides, look at it in detail, does it resemble any existing animal?

Beast.jpg

The parts of your definition that would suit it best aside from the obvious animal connotation are "animal nature as opposed to intellect or spirit" and "a brutal, contemptible person". Don't forget it represents a part of Guts, its name is meaningful in that regard.

If you want to get down to it, it can be seen as a mix in between several animals with a touch of fantasy thrown in, and while there's a distinctly recurring canine dominant in its design, I don't think it'd be right to limit it up to that. Especially since it appeared with different shapes in the manga up to now, it's basically a psychological character that can take any aspect. My point is all about not reducing the character to "just a mean animal" here, it's deeper than that (the reason the choice of words can be delicate). Now please don't make me post more pictures. :void: Griffith made an interesting post about it a few years ago by the way, in case you want to read more on the subject.

Yea, it defiantely isn't an animal although it takes the apperance of one which I think is just a representation of what it truly is. (all those feelings, animal instincts, and among other things)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Zelz said:
what it truly is.

I'm not sure of what you mean exactly, but the Beast of Darkness is a personified representation of a part of Guts' psyche (his rage, fear, hatred, desire for revenge, etc). That's what it truly is. Let's move to a Beast thread if you want to continue the discussion anyway, I prefer to keep the off-topic short.

G

God Hand

My favorite character is definitely skullknight or maybe schierke just because she is funny at times

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
well thats certainly a list :guts:

Just out of curiousity, what makes Gambino one of your favorites? I always found him as sort of the source of Guts' pain, along with Griffith, but in a way also sort of his strengh.

Gambino is a strange one for me.

Just the way Miura depicts his little silent glances at Guts leaves me wondering what's going through his head, I love the scene where Gambino gives Guts the medicine after he slices Guts on the nose and Guts makes some comment in his mind along the lines of: 'perhaps it was to soothe his guilty conscience'... It makes me hate Gambino but also wonder if he even possessed some feeling of parental love for Guts.

I also just think he personifies the world Guts comes from in the most real sense, from the mercenary world I mean. Another scene I love is where Guts is 9 and it's his first battle and Gambino saves him, but instead of asking him if he's alright he's all: 'keep moving! take down one and move on to the next!' [Not the exact words] - I get a real sense of action and something large going on around those two from that little scene.

The Band of the Hawk seem a bit too larger than life for me, but I guess that's the point, eh?

Gambino represents that world especially well and I thought whilst he didn't get much air-time, he was fleshed out effectively enough to give a real sense of the suffering and hardships a mercenary endures and why it would emotionally harden some one.

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
This is my first time posting here, but for my favorite character I'd have to go with Guts, although I do so happen to like Griffith, Pre-eclipse Casca, Zodd and Skullknight.  Also gotta love the Beast, which makes Guts definitely at the top of my list, if he already wasn't to begin with. 

-Raz  :beast:

It has to be Guts (gee, who didn't see that coming?). Guts seems to me to be something like Robert E. Howard's ideal man (not sure how many of you are Conan fans): he's very strong and tough, uncivilized (to a degree), and rather intelligent. He also posesses a cerain nobility to him, although, like Conan, this isn't often apparent.

Uh. This is my first post here so hello to all Berserk fans out there ;).
English isn't my first language, so some things may sound like crazy talk, but please, have mercy!

For me it will be Judeau. He haven't played very big role in the story (besides saving Casca during eclipse), but the way he died really touched me.
You know, when he was going to confess to Casca, but died first ;(.
I also like him for his cool looking, and all knowing. :judo:

I also like Roshinu very much. Dunno why. Maybe because her story was just so sad. She was only apostle that i actually felt sorry for.

Uh! And post eclipse Casca is also really great. She makes me laugh even more than Puck. She is just too adorable sometimes ;) :casca:

Top Bottom