Carcus

thedarkhawk

grrrrrrrrrrr
The only time I liked Corkus is in the manga when he did his pose after the fall of the Tudor. I laughed my ass off. Wasn't as enthusiastic as in the anime.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Comments on Corkus

I was re-reading some of the old manga and then remembering Corkus from the anime.

I have to say he's definitely up there with Grif, Guts and Caska as favorites. Of course you all know Griff is my main man, but...Corkus struck me as being cool because:

1. He's sort of cynical but often said what needed to be said. " You have to know your limitations." He was rough and blunt, but often spoke the truth, hard as it was to fathom.

2. He was also the only one who said to Guts, NO WAY. IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT GRIFFITH TURNED OUT THE WAY HE DID. No one else had the guts to say that to Guts LOL.

3. He was gritty and tough, but loyal to the Hawks to the end, following them to their doom.

He reminded me of one my uncles. At first you are a little put off by his bluntness and rough manner, but underneath there is a pretty damn good heart.

LG

Re:Comments on Corkus

I agree with most of what you said but don't forget to mention that he was hard headed and an Idiot. Guts has done nothing to deserve the treament he got from him.

I think deep down he was scared but had to put on a face for everyone.

He probably said that thing about Guts and Griffith because he didn't want to believe Guts could have such a profond effect on Griffith, he coudn't give Guts so much credit.

Nice going LG its amazing how much you have learn in a short period of time.
Going from a crazy Charlote impersonating, Grifffith groupy to a very insightful Griffith groupy.

SexyCharlotte

The Blackswordsman said:
I agree with most of what you said but don't forget to mention that he was hard headed and an Idiot. Guts has done nothing to deserve the treament he got from him.

I think deep down he was scared but had to put on a face for everyone.

He probably said that thing about Guts and Griffith because he didn't want to believe Guts could have such a profond effect on Griffith, he coudn't give Guts so much credit.

Nice going LG its amazing how much you have learn in a short period of time.
Going from a crazy Charlote impersonating, Grifffith groupy to a very insightful Griffith groupy.

How much I've learned? Or how much I've collected LOL?

By that token if you think Corkus was such an idiot, then it didn't matter if he got thrown to the dogs at the end, did it?

Oh and also...I disagree with you about why Corkus said what he did. People don't like to hear the truth spoken so harshly. I get that all the time. Say what's on your mind and speak what people don't like to hear isn't going to make friends. But when Corkus said, " It isn't your fault," I think he truly meant it. And I don't blame Guts for feeling like it WAS his fault, but if people are going to accuse Griffith of being so selfish, then it wasn't possible for him to really be friends with Guts, right? Just see him as a possession or tool who could help advance Griffith.

I don't blame Guts for Griffith's state of being. He did do that to himself. The only person you can hurt in the end is yourself. He fell from grace and would have stayed there had it not been for his behelit.

LG

then it didn't matter if he got thrown to the dogs at the end, did it?

No It didn't, I was waiting a long time too see that idiot suffer, he just got on my nerves, almost a much as Jill's dad.

Your right when you say that Griffith caused his own downfall but I still think Corkus didn't give Guts credit for that because he would never ever give Guts so much power. Just like he would not give Guts credit for the hawks' success. There's just no way he could give Guts a thumbs up for anything.

I thought he might have during the bar meeting before Guts departure, but what he said reaffirmed his position.

I don't blame Guts for Griffith's state of being. He did do that to himself. The only person you can hurt in the end is yourself. He fell from grace and would have stayed there had it not been for his behelit.

Thats something pretty harsh to say about your man, maybe Corkus has rubed-off you a little. how disgusting, now I almost feel dirty talking to you hehe.

SexyCharlotte

Hmm. It seems like I have a talent for picking the most disliked characters. ;)

LG

Lliugusamui

around the corner

Corcus was cool. He just couldnt accept the fact Guts was becoming/willing to become important because himself had to kneel to Griffith when he got beaten in the beginning, and in his opinion Guts should have shut his mouth and behave like he did.

When Guts came back to the Hawks, I'm sure he developped a respect towards Corcus and even now, he has nothing against him, remembering about him as a close 'friend'.
Guil

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Corcus is my favorite of the Hawks. To me he was the most down-to-earth, realistic character Miura has created. Whatever dreams he had, he gave up. Sounds more like the world we live in. Of course, it's interesting that he has an affinity with Griffith, who lives ONLY on his dream.

well if you think about it Corkus and Griff kinda represent two opposite sides of the human mind.

every man has a dream, a side of him that lives out his most outrageous fantasies = Griff

but that same man whom cannot live out those dreams, works through the day, the logical, crude, cynical, realist, no frills workhorse = Corkus

so all in all, opposites need each other for their own existance, griffs dream needed corkus' realism, and corkus' work needed a dream

SexyCharlotte

Yeah I definitely think Corkus was trying to protect himself from disappointment. But you can't deny that he was as happy as everyone else there in the Hawks to get that title of nobility. LOL especially with how popular it made him 'with the ladies.'

He was a pessimistic 'realist.' At the end he still hopes that Griffith can talk even though his tongue was ripped out, and then, he screams out " I knew this was going to happen somehow." He also postulated whether Griffith was alive or not when the Hawks were planning to rescue him.

LG

SomeKindOfBlue

How, Caska? How could you not pounce this man?

Actually, I quite admire the way Corkus keeps getting into Gatts' face all the time.

He isn't quite as stupid as he might seem - he KNOWS Gatts can kick his butt with both hands tied behind his back, shoelaces tied together and an apple in his mouth - and yet he's STILL letting the monster of a man know just how much of an asshole he thinks he is.
That takes some real guts. :)

I like Corkus because he's so honest. He's petty, jealous, cowardly and everything else that could make a man a complete bastard, but he's not even TRYING to hide it, and that gets him some credit despite everything.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!

I never realized I liked Corkus so much until he died, and I got upset! He would definitely have to be one of my favorite characters. For some reason I find him endearing, despite some of his more obnoxious traits. I think it's just that he's a very realistic, flawed person, who doesn't have the almost superhuman abilities that some of the other members of the Berserk cast have.

I think one of my favorite Corkus traits, though, is his undying loyalty to the Hawks, even when he was so negative about what would happen to them after Griffith's capture. I think that's part of his big beef with Guts; Corkus was with Griffith the whole time--Guts was a newcomer who everyone suddenly flocked to, thinking he was soooo cool. I think Corkus saw him as sort of a poser.

I dunno, seeing Corkus just brings a smile to my face.

I'm somewhat irritated that Art of War never made any toys or sculpts of the "minor" characters like Corkus and the other Hawks...maybe I should sculpt one....

Wait a minute, Im probably going crazy! Griffith I can understand, but it looks like Corkus is somekind of ladiesman. How come out of the few forum women posters, 3 are actually standing up for him?

Now if I hear one compliment about jill's dad...

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?

The Blackswordsman said:
Wait a minute, Im probably going crazy! Griffith I can understand, but it looks like Corkus is somekind of ladiesman. How come out of the few forum women posters, 3 are actually standing up for him?

Well, maybe you aren't so crazy. Personally, I can't stand Corkus, he just gets on my nerves too much. But beyond my own feelings, I think he was a well written character, very complex when you really think about.

And Zepec's good just because he's funny.

typhonblue

Feminism--making the world safe for bigotry

The Blackswordsman said:

I actually didn't mind Corkus at all. I particularly liked the scene where he explains why he doesn't like Guts and it's because of Guts' face. Guts looks like he's walking into hell barefoot *all* the time. I can see how that would get on someone's nerves. Particularly since Corkus, like all the Hawks, has had his knocks in life.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Leave it to the "Sex Hawk" to bring all the lady folks together in one thread. You know we all want his cynical ass.

I like Corkus too, I felt he was most realistic character in the whole manga

Before Gutz left the hawk in vol 8, Corkus mentioned that he tried to aim his back twice with his crossbow (man, he got lots of balls for saying that Gutz), also he mentioned that the main reason he hate Gutz was his face, alway showing the same crumple expression! (or was it?)

In vol 17 when Gutz recalled his past, he remebered Corkus saying, "You have no right to belong 1 of us, because where are u when we are in trouble? If u still treat us as friends, where are u when we need you the most?..."

Wow... this is my favorite phrase, the phrase that change my perspective about him. So cool...

SexyCharlotte

Agent Smith said:
I like Corkus too, I felt he was most realistic character in the whole manga

Before Gutz left the hawk in vol 8, Corkus mentioned that he tried to aim his back twice with his crossbow (man, he got lots of balls for saying that Gutz), also he mentioned that the main reason he hate Gutz was his face, alway showing the same crumple expression! (or was it?)

In vol 17 when Gutz recalled his past, he remebered Corkus saying, "You have no right to belong 1 of us, because where are u when we are in trouble? If u still treat us as friends, where are u when we need you the most?..."

Wow... this is my favorite phrase, the phrase that change my perspective about him. So cool...

Well it's like I said. Sometimes the truth spoken so bluntly isn't always appreciated. Thanks for bringing that up and backing it with some reality points. It's like Godo also said...Guts has this way of sort of 'leaving' to do his own thing...which I can't say I blame him...but, at the same time, Godo also had a point when Guts got mad and blamed Rickert and Susie for Caska's disappearance. He even told Guts," Who are you to blame others when you went and left the thing behind you loved the most for two years?"

I rest my case. Yes, you might say Corkus was a jerk, true, he was also a former bandit ( but the Hawks never claimed to be innocent moralistic men) but he was loyal to the Hawks, a good fighter, and blunt, when necessary. I could even forgive him for running into the arms of a woman who turned into a horrible demon. ;)

LG

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!

The thing with him is that he is always right in his own mind and not afraid to tell the world what he and, most often are really thinking of the situation the Hawks are in. With him, you get what you see. A lot of people find that offensive and rude in a person, but for me, someone who has a lot to say should be listened to. I personally find him fascinating. Here you have a man who has experience of life and know it's cruelty and cannot stand people making the same idiot mistakes and decisions he might have made. Like Guts.

In the scene where Corkus and Guts are having a heated conversation, he accuses Guts of being a dreamer and that he is nothing like Griffith, therefore he can never be his equal. Which is true in some cases. He has followed the Hawks from the start and seen how Griffith has dealt with a lot of toil and pain, just to achieve his dream. If that's the case, why does he not accuse Griffith of being a dreamer too? Simple. Corkus appreciated that Griffith's dream would benefit all those around him, at least it did until the Eclipse, especially a leader like Corkus. It's natural of him not to question Griffith; after all, it was because of Griffith the hawks ended up where they were. He cannot understand why Guts dreams of being Griffiths equal, mainly because he used to be like Guts.

Judea tells us of how when he was young, Corkus was the leader of a small band of thieves before he joined the Band of the Hawks. He also tells us that once upon a time, Corkus might have wanted to earn something by himself, no matter how small his band of thieves was. Corkus wanted to win something for himself.. but he never did. This could explain more why he is so angry and annoyed at the fact someone like Guts, who might reminds Corkus of his younger self, wants something like that. In reality, Corkus learn it's impossible. The harsh fact he states is that only certain people can earn something for themselves, and not any old soldier could, especially not Guts. He states how the common folk have to achieve it with years of hard work and labour, once again this could be a portrayal of his past, and that a dream is "only a crutch for the weak to stave off the truth. Living an impossible dream is worse than being an idiot". His bitterness could be at the fact the hawks beat his band and he was forced to give up his dream and latch on to something he would get gain from, Griffith dream.

I personally believe Corkus admires Griffith, because Griffith's dream was a wake up call for Corkus on how someone like him could never gain such treasures. It educated Corkus, and that is why his allegiance to Griffith is solid and also could be why he loathes Guts. Guts had an apparent effect on Griffith, which made Corkus insanely hateful towards Guts. It is more than likely jealousy due to the fact Guts is not only a much better soldier, but also might be in denial that Guts has something Corkus never had, Griffiths attention and maybe, just that something special to actually become Griffiths equal.

Very true indeed, Corkus didnt want to accept that it was Gutz that change Griffin. He keep saying that the change in Griffin and his failure was not because of Gutz, but deep inside his heart i guess he already knew that was the truth (this was very obvious when Gutz defeat Griffin because he still insist that it was not possible etc.)

I guess he was just jealous of Gutz for being the only person who can change Griffin, and the only person ever that Griffin pay most attention to and care for...

Well... like the rest of the hawk, he was too loyal to Griffin, keep follow him blindly. Never will he even dream that the person where he admired so much could betray him... :'(

G

Genn21

:D , man no one must have been happier than me to see that jerk go boom at the ecplise I relished every moment when the only guy in griff's army that built his self esteem off pestering gutts exploded in a violent splash of blood it was nothing less than beutiful . I kind of noticed none of the hawks actully gave a shit when corkus went boom either .. gatts didnt but he really doesent care for anyone beside judeu gaston casca or grffithsu in those earl... Wait i hit something !!

SexyCharlotte

Built his self-esteem by cutting down Guts? What the hell were you smoking at the beach, dude? He already had his self-esteem by joining the Hawks long before Guts did. You always like to disagree with me, that's interesting. I'll probably feel the same way about you when you leave this board in an explosion of blood.

Genn21 said:
I kind of noticed none of the hawks actully gave a shit when corkus went boom either .. Guts didnt but he really doesent care for anyone beside judeu gaston casca or grffithsu in those earl... Wait i hit something !!

No one cared when Corkus died because the rest of them were dying too. It's kind of hard to give a shit when your own life is about to end in a bloody mess.

LG

Top Bottom