Movies that influenced Miura

incognitoX

you fail me
I'm not really sure if this topic has been done already so if it has I apologize in advance.

Has anyone see Flesh + Blood (with Rutger Hauer) and Phantom of the Paradise and can verify these are good movies? I'm interested in check these out but havent heard anything good about them.

The cover of Phantom alone just screams where Miura dreamed up Griffith.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
incognitoX said:
I'm not really sure if this topic has been done already so if it has I apologize in advance.

It has. Just run a search to find information about it.

You can also check these threads:

Flesh + Blood thread
Miura's DVD Interview
Gambino/Rutger Hauer

The similarity of the mask in "The Phantom of the Paradise" with the one Griffith wears is also well-known. I don't think there's more to that in the movie though.

I've also always wondered if both took inspiration from a specific bird-like helmet used in the Middle-Age (see some of the Hawks' helms, or Mozgus' disciples for other examples), or if Miura just took inspiration from the movie.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Phantom of the Paradise

KazigluBey said:
The phantom's outfit has a Femto quality about it.

Mostly the mask. It's been pointed out many times in the past, so I've taken the liberty to merge your thread with a previous one on the same topic.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Could Miura been inspired by some of the marvel characters? I can see a tiny resemblance when the armor goes "on" (venom) and the white streak Guts has in his hair (Rogue)? I know the God Hand members resemble the cenobites of hellraiser. What will all the "clin d'oeil" he's doing with Puck I'd say it's not impossible. Maybe he reads them when he's taking some time off...

Just trowing that out for fun.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
the white streak Guts has in his hair (Rogue)
First off, this is the movies that influenced Miura thread. What exactly to Marvel Comic Book characters have to do with that? Also, do you honestly think the white streak look is exclusively from Rogue?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Could Miura been inspired by some of the marvel characters? I can see a tiny resemblance when the armor goes "on" (venom) and the white streak Guts has in his hair (Rogue)?

Characters with white streaks of hair are in classic literature too, you know. As for Venom, I guess there is a tiny ressemblance, like you say, but I'm not sure it's more than just that.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
Also, do you honestly think the white streak look is exclusively from Rogue?

Of course not, I was just wondering if he was inspired that's all.

And I didn't want to start another thread just for that since it was talking about what could have influenced him. :slan:

Aazealh said:
Characters with white streaks of hair are in classic literature too, you know. As for Venom, I guess there is a tiny ressemblance, like you say, but I'm not sure it's more than just that.

I didn't know that about classic literature though, thanx for that info (you have an example just to satisfy my curiosity?)

And like you said Aaz I'm not sure its more than that either. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
I didn't know that about classic literature though, thanx for that info (you have an example just to satisfy my curiosity?)

Hmm, well there are plenty... Let's see... A Descent Into the Maelstrom by Edgar Allan Poe, Dracula by Bram Stoker or even Les Misérables by Victor Hugo feature characters whose hair turns white due to a traumatic event. As for a streak specifically, I can't think of anything really old school right now, but it's present in Catherine Cookson's work or even in The Hundred and One Dalmatians, cheesy as it may be.

And on the historical side of things, check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luisa_of_Medina-Sidonia

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
I'd bet money that the white streak is a reference to Evil Dead. Miura has seen Army of Darkness at the very least, and mentioned it in one of his interviews.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Wereallmad said:
I'd bet money that the white streak is a reference to Evil Dead. Miura has seen Army of Darkness at the very least, and mentioned it in one of his interviews.

Well yeah, he did mention it:

Miura's DVD Interview said:
Back then I was still in college, it was the day I finished the first episode of Berserk and there was "Evil Dead 2" playing at theaters. So after I mailed it to the publisher, I went to see it. It was so similar to Berserk, I was really surprised by myself. In "Evil Dead 3," I also know it as "Captain Supermarket"... the main character had his arm cut off and he had a chainsaw attached to his arm and had a shotgun on his back. I was like "What the?" Because Guts has a gun on his arm and a huge sword on his back. It was just like Ash. I remember getting worried that I might get sued. I just finished my very first cartoon, but I was already nervous.

However I don't see how it implies that Guts' white streak, that appeared in late 2003, is a reference to Evil Dead II specifically. In fact it goes against the idea of Miura being afraid the characters would be too similar to one another (despite them not really being similar at all).

And even aside from the fact it'd be kind of superficial and arbitrary to modify Guts 15 years after his creation just to make him resemble a character from an old movie (it's not quite the same thing as making a Star Wars pun in a title), I honestly don't think the grey/white patch of hair is a defining characteristic of Ash in Evil Dead. He only gets it at the very end of Evil Dead 2, and it's not even in Army of Darkness. Just a random gimmick among many others basically, and quite different in looks from Guts' own white patch.

I know this is sort of an off topic thing to ask (sorry), but do you know if Miura has ever stated if there is any literature he has been inspired by (to write Berserk, or otherwise). I'd be very, very interested to hear what kind of books he likes to read.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Henry Spencer said:
I know this is sort of an off topic thing to ask (sorry), but do you know if Miura has ever stated if there is any literature he has been inspired by (to write Berserk, or otherwise). I'd be very, very interested to hear what kind of books he likes to read.

Guin Saga by Kaoru Kurimoto.

ZKK said:
I see. That's actually similar to the second question. I'd like to know if anything influenced Berserk.

It is a Japanese novel, but... a novel called "Guin Saga" written by Kaoru Kurimoto was the most influential. Guin Saga is a fantasy novel series, and it's been trying to set arecord in the Guinness World Records as the longest fantasy work ever written by a single author. It was planned to be 100 volumes from the beginning. But it's already 80-something, so it'll go over 100 easily. I started reading it when I was in junior high and I'm still reading the new volume every month. So I could say Guin Saga is the most significant novel. And other stuff like movies and cartoons influenced me, too.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
skullnights_pants said:
can someone vreify a connection between lovecraft and miura?

There is no known connection. Besides Lovecraft was a writer, not a movie-maker, so this isn't really on topic.

There's a foreign ( foreign to me :) ) Berserk web forum that has a great list of influential movies for Berserk that posts up both screen caps from the movies but also the manga for side by side comparisons. They just recently went private and only let registered users look at their pages, but if no one has any objections I can register there (somehow since it's non English) and take all the information and repost it here.

Lemme know cuz there's a lot examples that'll take some time for me to download, do whatever corrections to sizes/colors/whatever, then upload and post here.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jugger said:
They just recently went private and only let registered users look at their pages, but if no one has any objections I can register there (somehow since it's non English) and take all the information and repost it here.

If they went private it means they probably don't want information to be reposted elsewhere, so please don't do that. If people absolutely want to see it, they can register. Besides, I'm pretty sure that:

1) All the relevant cases have been posted or mentioned here before in various old threads.
2) People have already posted links to the website you're thinking of and were told that it wasn't anything new.

I have always wondered about the Phantom of the Paradise. It was bugging me for some time, I'm glad others have pointed out the similarity. I saw the movie and it is hard to deny the connection.

Top Bottom