Multiple Stages of Apostles?

I was discussing Berserk with another person and he posed the question/theory of "Is it possible that there are multiple stages of Apostles?" For example, the God Hand offered the Snail Count more power if he sacrificed his daughter, and still had his Behelit. The Snake Tyrant also had his Behelit and Wyld tried to call the God Hand by using Griffith's Behelit. Then there are those Apostles like Zodd, Gurunberd, Locus, and such who seem to be greatly more powerful than the average Apostle. Could it be that some Apostles did not sacrifice everything during their initial use of the Behelit and were able to sacrifice something else later for even greater power? Could part of this superior level/stage be that the Apostles become more deeply connected to the Vortex instead of the Interstice and Physical realms, which attributes to this power?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Metal Soldier said:
I was discussing Berserk with another person and he posed the question/theory of "Is it possible that there are multiple stages of Apostles?"

I don't think so, power varies from individual to individual (Zodd or Locus stronger than a random apostle weakling, like Guts or Serpico are stronger than a normal soldier) and Ganishka for example due to his magic abilities is stronger than a common apostle, but that's it in my opinion. A distinction should be done between the quasi-apostles (like Mozgus and his disciples, the goat guy, Zondark, Rochine's minions, etc) and real apostles though.

Metal Soldier said:
For example, the God Hand offered the Snail Count more power if he sacrificed his daughter, and still had his Behelit.

They merely offered to revive him as far as I remember, not to make him stronger.

Metal Soldier said:
The Snake Tyrant also had his Behelit

I don't think he did, actually (talking about the manga here).

Metal Soldier said:
and Wyld tried to call the God Hand by using Griffith's Behelit.

Because he was dying, and knew what awaited him were he to die (the Vortex of Souls). He wanted to be regenerated to escape it.

Metal Soldier said:
Could it be that some Apostles did not sacrifice everything during their initial use of the Behelit and were able to sacrifice something else later for even greater power?

But would that really make sense? Shouldn't an apostle sacrificing much gain great powers, while one sacrificing "less" and keeping sacrifice material for later use get lower abilities then?

Let's also not forget about a few things: First, an apostle is required to sacrifice what he loves most, not just anything or something he mildly likes. Second, after becoming an apostle, he is likely to stop caring about what he did before. The count is an exception, but what could have Wyald or the Snake Baron offered the God Hand if they had been summoned anyway?

Third and most importantly, it's not like apostles have any freedom in terms of what they sacrifice or not and when (their lives are already manipulated so that they will come to a desperate situation, favorable to a sacrifice), so it isn't likely to me that they would be able to plan or scheme anything regarding that. They're governed by causality, and that's why they have or not a beherit handy when it is needed. And of course having a beherit doesn't mean that it will summon the God Hand when you want it to.

Metal Soldier said:
Could part of this superior level/stage be that the Apostles become more deeply connected to the Vortex instead of the Interstice and Physical realms, which attributes to this power?

Connected to the Vortex of Souls? I think you used the wrong term here, because that's just what they become a part of after they die, and according to Griffith "everybody goes there" anyway.

Top Bottom