Episode 254

S

Some Guy

Aazealh said:
There's also some plan going around to conquer important locations in Midland, on cover of taking back "Holy See property" from the Kushans. Owen has a disagreement with the other nobles too, as he pleads for them to win Midland back, but they absolutely want the royal family to be leading them (Charlotte in this case).

Looks like they might be seeking help from a certain white hawk...

Some Guy said:
Looks like they might be seeking help from a certain white hawk...

Well its not a white hawk... It is the white Hawk!! Or Griffith in this case..

Anyway it has been such a long time ever since we had have seen a ball... (A separation of 19 volumes if i am not wrong)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Well I do like it myself.

Oh, I like it too, but i was defending it already so I didn't want it to seem like it made me jump out of my seat or anything. Not like Owen on page 6, anyway. Yikes, say "ahhhhhhh." =)

Smith said:
Anyway it has been such a long time ever since we had have seen a ball... (A separation of 19 volumes if i am not wrong)

Counting the Snow and Flames episodes, it's only been since volume 22. But discounting them, it's been over 20 full volumes, or about 219 episodes in between if I'm not mistaken. :)

Uh yeah, on that last pic of Guts, it looks fine. Seriously, Berserk has some of the best manga art out there. Period. Be grateful it's so damn good that you'd can only complain about a very subjective "well I don't like the way this face looks this time" thing, rather than something techincal, like proportions, foreshortening, shading, detail, movement, clarity of action from panel to panel, etc.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
An interesting contribution thanks to the impressive observation skills of "allium", a Japanese fan, that shows us again the genius of Miura.

Nobles00.jpg
Aren't these two guys somehow familiar?

Well, let's check volume 7 then, during the war council discussing what would Midland do about the Doldrey fortress.

Nobles01.jpg
Nobles07.jpg
Nobles05.jpg
Nobles02.jpg
Guess who's there?
Nobles03.jpg
Nobles04.jpg
Foreshadowing? :eek:

Nobles08.jpg

Anyway, I know a guy that won't be too happy the day he learns who's the new King. ;)

Nobles06.jpg

Especially since Griffith isn't renown for his ability to forgive past "errors".

Griffith

"allium"

Wow, what a badass. But I'm sure we could have figured it out with a translation... yeah. ^_^;

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Well I'll be darned! Just goes to show you can never count a character out from Berserk. Good stuff all round from this chapter... hopefully the shadow will be upon us soon... the waiting is hurting. But then again, I've always got time for some Berserk politics.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Aazealh said:
An interesting contribution thanks to the impressive observation skills of "allium", a Japanese fan, that shows us again the genius of Miura.

Awesome.  I've always wondered how far in advance Miura plans this stuff.  I know he storyboards things ahead of time, but I wonder if he's had the details of the entire story all worked out from start to finish ever since the beginning?  Really cool.  Fun to see the guy in the current style, too.

Lliugusamui

around the corner
TheSkyTraveller said:
Awesome.  I've always wondered how far in advance Miura plans this stuff.  I know he storyboards things ahead of time, but I wonder if he's had the details of the entire story all worked out from start to finish ever since the beginning?  Really cool.  Fun to see the guy in the current style, too.
With all my grand respect, I think not ^^.
Good chapter, can't wait to see all the elements mix.

TheSkyTraveller said:
Awesome. I've always wondered how far in advance Miura plans this stuff.

He did plan his stuff... but i doubt to that extend... (20 over volumes?)

I guess it might be coincidence that Muira might recall and incorporate it in the current situtation (He might have went back to his old volumes to look for for some old important character and could resurface again, like for eg. Foss and Raban which appear again volume 26, who knows if he happen to come by and include this 2 interesting character...)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well it seems things are culminating nicely. I have to admit I wasn't to enthusiastic about this deviation from the trip to Elfhelm, but this is shaping out nicely.

BTW, Miura's art still kicks serious ass...
some of the best in the business.

Smith said:
He did plan his stuff... but i doubt to that extend... (20 over volumes?)

He's probably just taking some notes for some part he's intending to create later. He probably every key element of the story. This is what i do when I write, so why he wouldn't do that !! It's a good way to see the big picture of the story in your head. Miura is a genius..

Lliugusamui

around the corner
Shurikn said:
He's probably just taking some notes for some part he's intending to create later. He probably every key element of the story. This is what i do when I write, so why he wouldn't do that !! It's a good way to see the big picture of the story in your head. Miura is a genius..
This is kinda what I meant, i'm doing the same obviously ^^. A story isn't made in one night, it builds itself with reflexions (breaks anyone) and when working on something already thought up, everything fits as it shall be. You can see there is a gap between the first arc and last episodes, nevertheless, that's perfectly normal, considering the time elapsed. Add the fact Miura has the capacity to witness reactions to his work at every episode, I think it may have some influence. This is an organic work, not something Miura has been propethized and that he wants to offer to the world. ::)

That being said... will Azan get in the ball to steal the food ? ;D

Mepheiz

Thats a negative, Ghostrider
I was reading the translation and Roderick says he is from a northern border island country, called Eess. I don't suppose this might be England / Great Britain?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mepheiz said:
I don't suppose this might be England / Great Britain?

Don't suppose it indeed, as Berserk isn't taking place in our world... And if a comparison had to be made, England would be Tudor.

We've been knowing about "Eess" (unknown spelling) and its maritime power since episode 252. It's no surprise for it to be surrounded by the sea considering its fleet.

Mepheiz said:
I was reading the translation and Roderick says he is from a northern border island country, called Eess. I don't suppose this might be England / Great Britain?

Personally, if one wants to take the perspective of creating "real-world comparisons", yeah, I could see how one would think of an island country that is mentally very seperated from the mainland and that has a very powerful navy as being representative of England.

Yeah, I know there are the Tudors, and that is an English dynasty, so that arguement can obviously be made too, but I thought Mepheiz's question had validity. Just to post an opposing point of view from Aazealh.

And although Berserk doesn't take place in our world, there are a lot of obvious paralells-- including the Holy See/Vatican, the Kushan seeming very middle eastern, the generally mideval settings of the story, the "100 years war", etc. etc. I see no harm in recognizing paralells to the real world and comparing them, as long as one doesn't try to read too much into them.

S

Sanguinius

If you are interested in finding a powerful north European sea faring people what about the Vikings these Eess might have been inspired by them(just speculation).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
QuestionMark said:
And although Berserk doesn't take place in our world, there are a lot of obvious paralells

Parallels that have no depth story-wise.

QuestionMark said:
I could see how one would think of an island country that is mentally very seperated from the mainland

That's kind of a common trait of all islanders, to the point of being a cliché. Japan or Corsica are outstanding examples.

QuestionMark said:
and that has a very powerful navy as being representative of England.

The Great Britain's naval power varied greatly for centuries you know (Spain and Portugal are the ones that leaded maritime exploration), and ironically, the Tudor dynasty founded it (it was most prevalent during the 19th century).

QuestionMark said:
Yeah, I know there are the Tudors, and that is an English dynasty, so that arguement can obviously be made too

Well you were talking about parallels, so what about the "100 years war"? And by the way, isn't England the home of Protestantism? I don't remember them being great supporters of the catholic Holy See.

Sanguinius said:
If you are interested in finding a powerful north European sea faring people what about the Vikings these Eess might have been inspired by them(just speculation).

It would be as probable really, the United Kingdom hardly being a North European nation (it's located in Western Europe), nor on the northern border of any country except France, even if the boats that we've seen so far aren't Viking boats.

QuestionMark said:
I thought Mepheiz's question had validity.

Point taken, they're both islands.

QuestionMark said:
the Kushan seeming very middle eastern

Yeah, they remind me of the Kushan dynasty. ::)

PS:
Aazealh said:
From what we can see, Miura likes to take elements from history, old mythologies, and adapt them to his universe. Now that doesn't mean you have great parallels either, it's mostly names, some concepts or events that very vaguely resemble each other.

;)

Aazealh said:
Parallels that have no depth story-wise.
The Great Britain's naval power varied greatly for centuries you know (Spain and Portugal are the ones that leaded maritime exploration), and ironically, the Tudor dynasty founded it (it was most prevalent during the 19th century).

What about Denmark?
Besides we ain't sure they are in exploring for now,actually they are not (even if they are naval people )

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
xechnao said:
What about Denmark?

You take the words out of my mouth really... The only reason I didn't elaborate was to keep my post from turning into a tedious history lesson. Sweden has also a big maritime tradition and culture, along with some of the best and biggest naval museums in the world.

xechnao said:
Besides we ain't sure they are in exploring for now

Yeah I know, that wasn't my point actually, just that the U.K. isn't the only nation to ever have had ships in Europe.

Let's not start talking about ancient Phoenicia and its colonies. ;)

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
*Gyom* said:
This is kinda what I meant, i'm doing the same obviously ^^. A story isn't made in one night, it builds itself with reflexions (breaks anyone) and when working on something already thought up, everything fits as it shall be. You can see there is a gap between the first arc and last episodes, nevertheless, that's perfectly normal, considering the time elapsed. Add the fact Miura has the capacity to witness reactions to his work at every episode, I think it may have some influence. This is an organic work, not something Miura has been propethized and that he wants to offer to the world. ::)

I was being somewhat facetious with my original post; obviously it wouldn't be that likely he has planned all these nuances for a series that's been around for 15 years and is still going, though I agree he must have an overall outline.  I'm just repeatedly wowed by how much detail he works into even minor characters and events and still keeps all the continuity intact.

Ok, back to arguing about Berserk's real world parallels!  ;D

Lliugusamui

around the corner
Naval country... nobody mentioned Norway ? Eess = Oslo ? Soon we're gonna hear about some Erikr who went to a "land covered by ice", whose descendants came to a "green land". ? the land of elves ?
The wizards could be vikings !! OMG :eek:

Griffith

*Gyom* said:
Naval country... nobody mentioned Norway ? Eess = Oslo ? Soon we're gonna hear about some Erikr who went to a "land covered by ice", whose descendants came to a "green land". ? the land of elves ?
The wizards could be vikings !! OMG  :eek:

If you have to go to the bathroom, use the China vs. Taiwan thread.

Top Bottom