Top anime

D

darkbane

since nothing else is going on while we're waiting for the next ep of berserk, might as well:

Gankutsuou
My favorite anime so far this year. I'm waiting for FMP Second Raid but even that will probably not be able to beat this. Gankutsuou is a futuristic anime adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo (And if you don't know of Monte Cristo, you've been living under a rock.). It starts out pretty faithful but there are some major divergences. Despite strange homosexual tendencies of some of the characters, some unexpected deaths, and a shift in protagonist, this anime is extremely enjoable ^_^. It can stand on its own, but if you've read (and liked) the books I think you would enjoy it even more.

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
may as well...

Gundam Zeta is the greatest of any of those series, it's the least cheesy full time TV Gundam, and ranks up there with 08th MS team in alot of ways.

Macross is everything, if I were to give my thoughts on Macross it would be quite one sided.

Arc the Lad was okay if you really love that game, if not I'd skip it.

Night Walker was a pretty amazing short series, I really enjoyed it.

I can still recall seeing Stand Alone Complex when it first showed up in chinatown, great series but I feel you should be familiar with catcher in the rye first.

X TV version was great but I forgot what happened in it.

Big O was pretty great if you watch the Japanese, because it makes no sense in american. I mean it starts off as a cheesy mech show, but hell that ending was really great.

Evangelion was Evangelion, you already heard so much about that.

any other series I really don't care that much about.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
I first discovered anime when I was nine. Warriors of the Wind (a horribly mangled dub of Nausicaa seemed kinda cool-'til I saw the original in Japanese a few years later. All in all, I waited about ten years or so for a good dub of that one; and of all the companies that could've done it, I'd have never expected Disney to be the one. Got into Yu Yu Hakusho when I was about 15-17, so I waited about ten years for a good subtitled version of that one, too(no offense, but I don't trust most fan translations too highly(bandofthehawk) and I don't like bulk mailing VHS tapes. Speaking of Tito Kube (the creator of Bleach, is there any word on if he'll ever return to drawing Zombie Powder? That dude with the chainsaw/sword was wicked cool.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
On an unrelated (to the above post) note, I heard that there's an anime coming out which should be pretty damn good. It's called BLAME!, but I don't know much more about it other than that he artwork is amazing. I first saw an import art book from the original artist, and thought it looked good, but my search was met by just about 0 matches. Then I saw and add in a recent PLAY magazine (I got a few free issues) but when I went to the Media Blasters website, which it said had more info., there was absolutely nothing there about it. Their website sucks. Anyway, I hope it'll be good, if not it'll at least be eye candy.

Vaxillus said:
On an unrelated (to the above post) note, I heard that there's an anime coming out which should be pretty damn good.  It's called BLAME!, but I don't know much more about it other than that he artwork is amazing.  I first saw an import art book from the original artist, and thought it looked good, but my search was met by just about 0 matches.  Then I saw and add in a recent PLAY magazine (I got a few free issues) but when I went to the Media Blasters website, which it said had more info., there was absolutely nothing there about it.
i found this and some other stuff on "Blame"
http://www.animationinsider.net/article.php?articleID=725
i have never heard of it before. ill give it a try.

Vaxillus said:
Their website sucks.
i couldnt agree with you more.

Vaxillus

Did some research. The anime is based on a manga of course. It's pretty amazing visually, since the artist has a lot of practice drawing architecture, but the wierd fish-face look might turn some away, but the characters in the anime looks a little less funny. Found some good news (at least for me) as well, the manga's finally going to be translated to English (right now it's in about every OTHER language http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29777).

As for the above news, that's great, thanks for finding it. Of course, they forgot to mention the other main character (the one in the picture) who's name is Killy. According to that sit, the whole thing's only like a half an hour long, so it's probably just some shorts.

Vaxillus

Wow, thanks. I didn't think of that. It seemed like it was a really obscure series, at least in in English, since I can find just about zippo when I do a search on it (then again, my searching skills aren't exactly great). I may have found a new addiction.

I'll list my Top Ten.

1.Berserk
2.Trigun
3.Cowboy Bebop
4.Gundam SEED( Many Gundam veterans would disagree with this choice. I've only seen Wing, G-Gundam , a few episodes of Original Mobile Suit, Seed, and I'm in the process of watching Seed Destiny)
5.Hajime no Ippo( Never thought I would like a boxing anime but hey, it works)
6.Full Metal Alchemist
7.Noir
8.Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
9.Gantz
10.Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi( From Gainax who also did FLCL and Evangelion. Wacky show, never fails to make me laugh, and much better than FLCL, IMO.

Top 15 Animes

20 Episodes and Up
1. Berserk
2. Evangelion
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Trigun
5. Escaflowne

2 to 19 Episodes
1. Haibane Renmei
2. Serial Experiment Lain
3. Boogiepop Phantom
4. Samurai X
5. Niea_7

Movies
1. Princess Mononoke
2. Revolutionary Girl Utena
3. Akira
4. Jin-Roh
5. Spirited Away

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
Definitely among my all time favorites. Speaking of all time favorites, Gunbuster is a MUST SEE!!! Gainax at its best...

Heh, the only thing I've seen from GAINAX is EVA. I'm in like ep. 20, and now it's getting sooo bloody. Can't wait until I see the ending, my friend told me it's disturbing. What did you guys think of the ending?

Vaxillus

Hey, anyone here who lives in CA going to Fanime? It's gonna be four days this year. It's in San Jose this weekend.

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
Void Swordsman said:
Heh, the only thing I've seen from GAINAX is EVA. I'm in like ep. 20, and now it's getting sooo bloody. Can't wait until I see the ending, my friend told me it's disturbing. What did you guys think of the ending?
I didn't really like EVA's plot or anything, and looked at it as more of a decent character study.

So from my viewpoint, the series ending destroyed EoE's.

Void Swordsman said:

Which ending? The series ending is good and upbeat. The movie End of Evangelion is an alternate ending to the series. It is disturbing there are records of people hitting depresions because of it. Basically its the Gainax interpritation of the apocolypse.

Vaxillus

Rage Incarnate said:
Which ending?  The series ending is good and upbeat.  The movie End of Evangelion is an alternate ending to the series.  It is disturbing there are records of people hitting depresions because of it.  Basically its the Gainax interpritation of the apocolypse.
I saw the anime on TV, but now I need to see the movie. Sounds pretty awesome.

Rage Incarnate said:
Which ending?  The series ending is good and upbeat.  The movie End of Evangelion is an alternate ending to the series.  It is disturbing there are records of people hitting depresions because of it.  Basically its the Gainax interpritation of the apocolypse.

Yeah, I'm hearing worse and worse of the EVA ending. My friend told me people get eaten by cannibals. I'm seriously reconsidering watching the ending.

Not to impose, sir, but according to Anno the two endings are concurrent.  The T.V. ending is essentially the mental aspect of Instrumentality (and what happens when you run low on budget and time) while the ending of E.O.E. is the physical aspect.  Anno claims budget and time constraints did not cause the T.V. ending, though rough outlines which bear a striking similarity to E.O.E. can be found within...He also has said that E.O.E. is his way of giving the fans what they wanted, as he viewed the T.V. end as a more artistic and psychologically intriguing end; everyone else thought he was full of shit.  So basically, he gave them what they thought they wanted (a bunch of cool eva fights, and a literal ending), but threw in a more fucked up Shinji and a rather convoluted ending for good measure (and probably a bit of revenge).  But hey, it's his show, after all.

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
Void Swordsman said:
Yeah, I'm hearing worse and worse of the EVA ending. My friend told me people get eaten by cannibals. I'm seriously reconsidering watching the ending.
EoE really isn't THAT bad(at least not in the sense your talking about ;D)

And, no one get's eaten by cannibal's in it, your friend is most likely referring to when
SPOILERS
-
-
-
-
Unit 02 is impaled on the LoL and partially devoured by the MP Eva's.

At any rate, I laughed through most of EoE, just because of how much better than the series ending everyone said it was. When in fact, the only thing EoE had going for it was the fact that the MP Eva's look like angelic whales with teeth.

Top Bottom