your first impressions with each character

ParaParaJMo

Para Para Hawk
the first time i watched berserk i was impressed with the characters. the one that impressed me the most was probably griffith.

when i first saw him, i was like, man that guy looks like hes gay (for awhile his sexual preference actually did question me) and he did have his run with the king of tuda and he did expose himself with guts that one time. hes just so mysterious, smart, and multiple personality.

wunwong

NOw...To gEt mY hANds uNstUcK.....
First impressions eh? I did think Gatts was cool...cause he was killing things...but not much really on the others until more was revealed about them. I thought Griffins was Gay too...but not because of the way he looks or anything he does...its the back ground music that plays during 'emotional' moments, that first showed up when Griffin and Gatts faced off...that was the most 'Gay' bgm ever when combined with Griffin talking. ;D Corkus was funny...a coward at heart. Casca and the rest took a long time before more of their 'real' personalities emerge. I love Judeau from the start tho...good attitude. But talking about first impressions...I think my first impression of Mozgus was the strongest...I mean...HIS FACE!! :eek:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Damned america...Teaches us to sniff for gays.

My first impressions of Griffith (waaaaay back in the day) were that he was an apostle. At the time I obviously knew shit about the story, and since both the snake-apostle in episode 1 and Griffith had a Beherit, I assumed for a long time that that was the special 'something' about him. His eyes, his 'sword' that Guts goes on about in episode 3: "hes turning away all my attacks with that slender sword...how?!" But then Zodd dispelled my thoughts with his foreshadowing speech about Griffiths future. Griffith's ambition for his dream and destiny for glory easily made him my favorite character until we met Skull Knight in volume 9. And even still, Griff is a close second place on my favorites list.

Guts? I actually hated Guts until around episode 9 or 10. He seemed so architypical of a war-drama character. Especially that name...GUTS. when we first hear it, when Griff asks him his name... "GUTS" (pronounce it GEEEYUUUTTTSSS with a strong southern accent like me and Cronus do for laughs arond the house) I literally groaned. But Guts has very much grown on me, and hes probably favorite character # 3, or 4.

Casca? Thppttttttt.....I didnt give a rats ass about her first, and I still dont really care about her.

First time I saw God Hand, I wet my pants (when we REALLY first see them in volume 12). Same with Skully. And that opinion has stayed with me.

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
Griffis: when he was a man he sure was incredibly strong. He messed up Gatsu with ease...even tough Gatsu was a little bit wounded. Half dead actually...but that don't matter.Afterwards, I dunno. Kinda of a weakling, surrendering to the dream an all. I repeat, as man he wa the greatest leader and most self sacrificing person in the series. He wasn't gay!!! Later, he died, and shit happens...

GATSU: Quite a dumb guy. He never stops to amaze the public with the small quantity of compassion, understanding and subtle ways he has. On the other hand, he is by far the best of humanity...he is literally the will to live, the struggle incarnated. He is my favourite of all times. No words, no threats, just hard work. Just like a true karate master.And it really is Gatsu, not GUTS. I mean ppl, what is this?

Gaisseric: Well, he 's ok. Makes us laugh and wonder of times long gone.

Zoddo: AAAhhh the legend. A prankster. The guy everyone wants as a beer drinkin pal or bouncer.
I think that deep within, he's really chicken wuss.

OTHERS: Screwwww em, they exist to give social space to the four above.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Kinda of a weakling, surrendering to the dream an all. I repeat, as man he wa the greatest leader and most self sacrificing person in the series.

Surrendering to the dream? His whole life was to obtain his dream.

And it really is Gatsu, not GUTS. I mean ppl, what is this?

This is a really old debate, and it really does come down to Guts in the end. Pronounce Gatsu....what does it SOUND like its supposed to mean?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Griffis: when he was a man he sure was incredibly strong. He messed up Gatsu with ease...even tough Gatsu was a little bit wounded. Half dead actually...but that don't matter.Afterwards, I dunno. Kinda of a weakling, surrendering to the dream an all. I repeat, as man he wa the greatest leader and most self sacrificing person in the series. He wasn't gay!!! Later, he died, and shit happens...

GATSU: Quite a dumb guy. He never stops to amaze the public with the small quantity of compassion, understanding and subtle ways he has. On the other hand, he is by far the best of humanity...he is literally the will to live, the struggle incarnated. He is my favourite of all times. No words, no threats, just hard work. Just like a true karate master.And it really is Gatsu, not GUTS. I mean ppl, what is this?

Gaisseric: Well, he 's ok. Makes us laugh and wonder of times long gone.

Zoddo: AAAhhh the legend. A prankster. The guy everyone wants as a beer drinkin pal or bouncer.
I think that deep within, he's really chicken wuss.

OTHERS: Screwwww em, they exist to give social space to the four above.
The opportunity is there, but it’s just not worth it. :-/
Indeed.

-Griffith

P.S. I’ve just realized how far away September 14th really is.

ParaParaJMo

Para Para Hawk
My impression with God Hand. That same night, I actually had a nightmare were I was in that kind of eclipse. Trust me, its scary watching Berserk late at night.

Guts, I thought he was funny and smart. When the bad guy has to brag how strong he is, at least he takes the opportunity to kill him and make him shut up.

White_Hawk

Well, I must admit I am satisfied I have stirred the waters.

Wheter it is pronounced Guts or Gatsu is truly irrelevenat, but as Miura said in an interview he wanted the main character to be swift and sneaky like a cat, which in german is pronounced katze, hence the name gatsu. Now, before you explode in a waterfall of outraged comments, remember I am only quoting the master from an interview, nothing more.
The only thing that stings is that Gatts/u shouldn't be named after a rather sleazy piece of our organism, regardless it stands for courage, cuz griffis sure wasn't named Slick, or Gaiserrick be named Koolio right?

well, Gaisseslick maybe? ;-)

White_Hawk

Oh yeah, about the griffis being weakling in the end..it's true, really.
So his life was the dream, but part of the dream were the hawks too. He even got nailed in the #%$ by an old man just to save members of his band. I may be romantic, but I think he would have never taken the opportunity to sacrifice em if gatsu didn't come along. As griffis said gatsu was the only one to make him forget the dream, but in the end he fucks him off anyway, even if gatsu fights to save the last bits of him. Point is, griffis surrendered in end to the dark side, and became darh femth. :)
he could have had the dream without god hand too...eer..somehow

Wheter it is pronounced Guts or Gatsu is truly irrelevenat,

It's pronounced "gattsu" by the Japanese. And that's because you _can't_ say "Guts" in Japanese.

but as Miura said in an interview he wanted the main character to be swift and sneaky like a cat, which in german is pronounced katze, hence the name gatsu.

No, he never said that. That was just another bad translation.

The only thing that stings is that Gatts/u shouldn't be named after a rather sleazy piece of our organism, regardless it stands for courage, cuz griffis sure wasn't named Slick, or Gaiserrick be named Koolio right?

It's "Griffith" and "Gaiseric".  :-/

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So his life was the dream, but part of the dream were the hawks too. He even got nailed in the #%$ by an old man just to save members of his band.
No, he 'nailed' the old man so that they would have a war chest so that they could become something more of an army than a militia. The more money you have, the more soldiers you have, the more recognized you get by the royal family. Thus, Griffith would be closer to his dream.

As griffis said gatsu was the only one to make him forget the dream, but in the end he fucks him off anyway
??? Griffith fogetting his dream is a BAD thing. Whats this 'in the end he fucks him' thing relating to griffith forgetting his dream? Now Im really confused. Guts made Griffith lose sight of his dream, and indirectly caused his downfall.

Point is, griffis surrendered in end to the dark side, and became darh femth. :)
he could have had the dream without god hand too...eer..somehow
Not only did GOd Hand tell him that he would fall like those bodies in his path if he chose to not accept their offer, but his own body was just rags and toothpicks by that time thanks to the torture. There was no other way, and it turned out to be the best way. If you ask me, Griffith got a sweet deal. Look where he is now.  ;)

White_Hawk

Well, I don't think that would be it. God Hand ain't really a caritas social help institution, they re rather the devourers of souls, the oldest trick in history, the metaphore(a very cool one too) for the devil. Griffis sold his soul, it's that simple. he is DEAD, and it 's only matter of time and maturity wheter you accept it. Taka no dan is no more, and never will be.
The thing that looks like griffis is phemt, a cold mutha that just don't give a fck bout anything, or at least, his motives are not revealed( since world domination is too obvious, what then?) Griffis is just like lord coca and the other sorry bastards that gatsu will sooner or laters smash into dog food.
There may be traces, remains of griffis in the new Falcon, but it's probably the worst part of his being that survived.

It is a good thing that gatsu made griffis forget his dream, since that way griffy wouldn't screw his ppl later, as he said, they're "all important associates that help him achieve a goal". He had no friends, and gatsu was a beautiful sword, an object, that later became more important, to the point of making him forget. All the taka no dan was just a bunch of object to good ol griffy. Painful but true. I wish it was otherwise, but being charismathic as he is, we all tend to have a glorious picture of him. :-/

Griffith

It is not Femto. Femto is an ethereal being, a demon who does not exist in any physical realm. You simplify the reborn Griffith too much by saying he’s simply Femto on earth. It is much more complicated then that, Griffith died at the ceremony allowing the birth of Femto, in exchange he would be reborn later so that he could pursue his dream once more. At his rebirth Griffith took the body of Guts and Caska’s child and this futher complicates the issue of who Griffith is. Griffith is a major character in the story and I doubt Miura would simplify him to the point of just being the evil bad guy, and if you've seen the last few chapters you'd know he hasn't. His situation his very complicated, not even Griffith really knows who or what he is right now.

Also, about Griffith’s relationship with Guts. The whole reason Griffith forgot his dream is because he had feelings for Guts beyond him being just a “beautiful sword”, pawn or associate. He really cared about him, that’s why it hurt him so much when Guts left.

Back to the reborn Griffith, did you happen to see chapter 182?

-Griffith

White_Hawk

Unfortunately no, I haven't seen anything after volume 20.
I shall restrain myself from any future post untill I find out the contents of the above mentioned volume.
After all, I cannot talk without having seen the whole picture.

However, it would not be simplefying Griffis as Phemt in a body, cuz what is known of Phemt? He is born as an evolution, or evilution, of a person called griffis. Aside that, why would he rape caska as the first thing he does?
Is a hard on the first thing a demon lord thinks of? No.
But it does remind of the apostoles set of rules, do what you want and screw the rest. Maybe griffy had some desires he didn't tell us about.

But overall, phemt is also called "Prince of dreams and desires".
The ppl been dreamin of a white hawk descending to save them. His incarnation, of course being that figure...
How is he going to screw them up?

Asir

that facil is to die, that dificil is to be born
Kentarou Miura I think very deeply each one of his personages to the moment of enclosing them to his novel, each one has his time in the universe of the plot and to stop being indispensable when is obvious that etapar perdio transcendencia, aSI, the need to return them to scene is avoided and diminishes the anxiety of the I publish.

Gatt: sincerely the protagonist, the he represents the WILL OF LIVING, with everything that he has suffered, to be huerfano, violated, murderous of his padastro, homicida, treacherous, the to see to die to his friends, betraied, lost to his love in the insanity, to be father of a devil, pursued, tormented in his dreams, solitary, and neither even asi, he is yielded, or he returns lunatic to escape but tranquil of the weight of the life thatCarried, an individual with a similar entirety without doubt is worthy of surviving and although always he sinks the small small island where he takes refuge always nothing toward new ground, alone he knows to follow ahead, alone he interests him to live and not to depend on the demas or of something in which to believe in short.

VAE SOLIS! !!!!!

Griffit: to be that he pleases me but the people that suffers, that Griffit this in the ultimo place of my preferences, almost all a privileged life, key by its own weaknesses and I blame to other by its state one lastimero, reincarnates like femto and violates to Caska as act of proxima reencarnacion or perhaps alone by vanity and proud as if we say that Griffit murio when I am transformed into Femto and was notConscious of their acts then as they can explain that have left to go to Gatt? because perhaps podria tambien to injure to Caska with its attack if it toward? had many opportunities to kill it before and us the use, I suppose that enjoyed with its suffering and pain) in short the yang of the series

VANITAS VANITATUM EST OMNIA VANITAS!

Zod: cool personage! a warrior in all the sense of the word, good peleador that never this satisfied one by its abilities, above all, jamas it has been seen to kill to current and common people as the other apostoles and its concept of the fight is straight and firm (the respect toward the Skullknight tests it) ademas, its transformacion in Nosferatu is the but "Normal" and less grotesque of that of the other apostoles,The when less has an appearance but pleasant a good personage.

HOMO HOMINIS LUPUS

Skullknight: the obliged to please, is a personage too much magnificent for not stop being attractive by its mysterious one to proceed and its attitude interested, not we know about where you come for but concrete speculation that we do neither we know where finished, in short a personage of good weight in the history, is almost as the narrador of the series in if.

qui nescit dissimulare nescit regnare

Farneze: the lider of the holy chain of iron, a so much excentrica in his youth to be returned a strong woman and a soil lider that lives grasped to wrong beliefs, survives to see another I gave and to be able to carry out a new road

QUI BENET AMAIS BENET CASTIGAT

the hand of God: the better and but sinister beings that any pelicula directed by tim Burtom could have imagined, angeles or devils are elements of the misfortune and elementary strengths of the calamity, they do us to seem as small mosquitos, really they are genial

VIDEO MELIORA PROBOQUE, DETERIORA SEQUOR

Guts: I thought at first that Guts was a heartless badass who didn't care for anyone.

Griffith: At first I was thinking he was a guy who thought he was better than everyone in skill with a sword I thought he would a guy who would try to impress everyone with his skill with a sword.

God Hand: Ubik and Conrad seemed like they where related and Void looked alot like a character you would see in a hellraiser movie.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffis sold his soul, it's that simple. he is DEAD, and it 's only matter of time and maturity wheter you accept it.
....fucking 'dot dot dot'.

All the taka no dan was just a bunch of object to good ol griffy. Painful but true. I wish it was otherwise, but being charismathic as he is, we all tend to have a glorious picture of him. :-/
Actually it wasnt that painful :-/ I had so much respect for Griffith built up over the series that the Hawks sacrifice made sense to me. Once again, we are debating the morals of Griffith (which has been done once before....in a post that lasted 200+ comments) which is not a very wise thing to do. You are also contrasting Griffiths actions with some wacked out Judeo-Christian belief system. You must realize that the only TRUTH in Berserk is the chasing of ones dream.

PS: I acknowledge that Griffith is the antagonist in Berserk. that is ALL.

Gattz: A badass in every sense of the word.

Griffith: With the silver armor...I thought he was a little bitch. The kind of guy that needs everybody think he's speacial. The kind of guy with a stick so far up his ass that as a child he'd throw a hissy fit if came home with a B on his report card.(not that it would ever happen) People that never have to deal with failure make me nervous. I never trusted him.

Caska: Token valkary type of chick that always shows up in action pictures. I assumed she would be the love interest of Gatts ever since their eyes met in the heat of combat. Cliche...yes, but it actually turned out to be acurate.

Zodd: a supernatural, over-the-top version of Gatts.

Skully: Mysterious warior and potential God Hand.

Foss: like Walter I thought he was the human incarnation of one of the God Hand :D As I had yet to make the distinction between God Hand and apostle. I never really saw the Charlette thing....Slan has boobies :p

One of my favorite things about Berserk is that Miura takes these seemingly two-dimensional characters and developes them to the point that they seem like real people. To me, that is what makes this story unique.

Griffith

Oh yes, I’ve patiently waited for this moment a long time, I’ve finally found the perfect segue to discuss the size differential between Slan’s breasts in anime and her breasts in the manga!

-Griffith

Top Bottom