Mac Help

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Sorry guys... I know 99.9% of all of you here are PC... I guess I am holding my breath here by making this thread. But anyways, I bought an expantion pack for my music program called "Garage Band". For some reason, it would not operate. So I try uninstalling the whole program so I can re-install everything together, but there was no "uninstall" option. So the dumbest thing that I did was delete every single thing that had "Garage Band" and trashed it.

Now when I put the Install DVD, it would say:

iLife cannot be installed on this computer.

This installation cannot proceed because one of the following applications is running:
GarageBand
iTunes
iPhoto
iMovie
iDVD

Please quit these apps before installation.

For the record...this installer contains other programs. The thing is none of this programs are active. Apparently I made a boo-boo... Could this be the "Operating system"?, how in the hell can I re-install the program???.

Again, sorry for the inconveninece, but I really know shit about Mac's :'(

Help, anyone?

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
"Griffith No More!" said:
BUY A PC!!!

Sorry, I just wanted to get that one out of the way for you. ;)
Thanks, I was waiting for that one 8).

Im just pissed at this point... And yes, PC is in my "to do list". But for now I'm gonna have to set for this one for the time being ;)

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
"Griffith No More!" said:
BUY A PC!!!

Sorry, I just wanted to get that one out of the way for you. ;)

The soul reason to me opening this thread was to say something like this. You beat me to it.

>:(

PCs suck, sorry, that's just the facts.

Anyway,
What version of OS X are you running?

I suggest you repair your disk permissions (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, or Repair, or whatever).

Try again, if that doesn't work there are some more elaborate things you can try. I'm too tired to bother with it right now though.

And, yeah, you shouldn't go messing around deleting files haphazardly. That can cause problems if you don't know what you're doing. I strongly suggest that you make a non-Administrative account for your computer and that you use that as your primary user.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Denial said:
Anyway,
What version of OS X are you running?

I suggest you repair your disk permissions (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, or Repair, or whatever).

Try again, if that doesn't work there are some more elaborate things you can try. I'm too tired to bother with it right now though.
And, yeah, you shouldn't go messing around deleting files haphazardly. That can cause problems if you don't know what you're doing. I strongly suggest that you make a non-Administrative account for your computer and that you use that as your primary user.

Aaaaahhh finally!... Well I have MAC OSX 10.3.8... single processor. I deffenetly deleted something that I shouldn't. I was told to re-install the operating system, if not...just to wipe out the HD completly and re-install everything...

Im gonna check now, what you just said... And I thank you for the Tip.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Denial said:
Dragnet19.jpg

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
From a friend of mine
...a few ideas. For starters, are you the only person logged into the computer at the moment? A second user could be running the applications on another account. Outside of that, have you used Activity Monitor to see what is actually running on your system (make sure you select "All Processes")? Have you also tried cleaning out various caches OS X generates? Repaired permissions with Disk Utility? And after all that, have you restarted?If all of that fails, then I do think you've likely deleted something you shouldn't have so a clean install of the system is in order. I do not think you'll have to wipe your hard drive, though if you do reinstall, move all your data (like school reports ect.) to a directory outside of your home directory. Backing data up doesn't hurt either.

Majin Tenshi said:
From a friend of mine
...a few ideas.   For starters, are you the only person logged into the computer at the moment?  A second user could be running the applications on another account.  Outside of that, have you used Activity Monitor to see what is actually running on your system (make sure you select "All Processes")?  Have you also tried cleaning out various caches OS X generates?  Repaired permissions with Disk Utility?  And after all that, have you restarted?If all of that fails, then I do think you've likely deleted something you shouldn't have so a clean install of the system is in order.  I do not think you'll have to wipe your hard drive, though if you do reinstall, move all your data (like school reports ect.) to a directory outside of your home directory.  Backing data up doesn't hurt either

Personally, I think the possibility that someone else is logged onto the computer is pretty low. I also think it's pretty alarmist to say you need to resinstall the whole system. I'm pretty sure that at most all that needs to be done in order to install iLife again is to delete all the iLife programs from /Applications, and the pkgs for the iLife programs in /Library/Receipts.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Damn guys...really, thanks a lot. To answer all questions:

Yes I have restarted my Mac. I also did what Denial told me at first, solved a few other minor problems but it still does not work.

There's only one user and it's me. No one could've gone in my HD or anything, except for my wife, but she wasn't even awake when this happened.

I allready deleted all the programs, and the ilife 04 will still not operate. All recipts and data from Grage Band (witch was the one that I wanted to "uninstall" in the 1st place were trashed. So at this point my only option is to wipe out my drive, as you guys have mentioned.

Right now I am in the process of taking everything out of my HD, including programs that were given to me for free *hee-hee*... I give you both my thanks. Ill give you guys the update on this... most likely by PM. If you guys dont see me online during the nextr week... well... hehehehe ya' know what happened then.

Again, thanks guys. And thank you Majin for asking around (I think that's what you did ;))

I personally think you're being very, very foolish if you're going to reinstall everything over this and recommend against it. I think you're just compounding your problems by being impulsive instead of methodical.

Try deleting your preferences files for the iLife 04 programs and try again.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Denial said:
I personally think you're being very, very foolish if you're going to reinstall everything over this and recommend against it. I think you're just compounding your problems by being impulsive instead of methodical.

Try deleting your preferences files for the iLife 04 programs and try again.
Done... still no luck. I even re-install the operating system without wiping out the HD in case that I deleted something important...but no luck there either.... something fishy is going on here... And I am loosing my patience. But I see what you mean. Any other alternatives?

Try this: Open up the Terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

Type "top"

This will bring up a list of the current actively running processes. Look for one called iTunesHelper. The leftmost column will give you the PID (Process ID) of every process.

When you have found the PID for iTunesHelper, press Control-C.

Now type "kill #", where # is iTunesHelper's PID.

Try installing again.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
The only thing that appears here is:
PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VSIZE
423 top 6.7% 0:05.01 1 16 26 292K 448K 1.74M- 27.1M
422 tcsh 0.0% 0:00.03 1 13 20 356K 664K 1.46M- 22.1M
421 login 0.0% 0:00.03 1 13 37 132K 440K 1.97M 26.9M
420 Terminal 5.8% 0:01.93 2 59 141 1.86M+ 7.86M+ 17.3M+ 143M+
412 iChat 0.0% 0:11.25 7 238 264 4.48M 15.8M+ 12.6M 169M
403 ImageCaptu 0.0% 0:00.36 1 61 89 824K 5.25M 11.9M 139M
385 Preview 0.0% 0:17.15 1 62 137 2.69M 8.98M 6.54M- 152M
382 MSN Messen 1.6% 0:28.33 6 90 109 2.01M 4.30M 10.4M 132M
380 MSN Messen 1.6% 5:14.80 4 216 271 6.88M 20.5M 18.4M 195M
350 QuickTime 0.0% 1:26.92 2 169 169 2.91M 10.3M 7.93M 156M
345 firefox-bi 5.0% 8:31.53 11 335 428 54.4M 34.6M 45.6M 422M
341 Toast Tita 5.8% 33:33.62 5 211 676 34.6M 18.0M 42.8M 201M
340 AppleSpell 0.0% 0:00.77 1 25 36 676K 1.57M 2.06M- 36.3M
338 iChatAgent 0.0% 0:02.07 5 69 63 760K 2.45M 3.09M- 102M
331 UniversalA 0.8% 0:03.76 1 59 77 912K 4.52M 2.84M- 139M
330 SymSeconda 0.0% 0:00.19 1 50 61 304K 2.80M 1.23M 125M

No ituneshelper anywhere...

This are the things I lack on with Macs, I have no idea I could do this stuff here :-\.
Thanks

BiQ_

" ... "
Apparently iTunesHelper just did not make it into visible list of top. Open terminal, pull it some wider than it normally is, write this to terminal without quotes:

'ps auxc | grep iTunes'

(press alt-7 for that vertical line character, called "pipe")

PID is the first number in resulting line.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
[Pedro-Carolyn-Mora-Haufes-Computer:~] pedrocar% 'ps auxc | grep iTunes'
tcsh: ps auxc | grep iTunes: Command not found.
[Pedro-Carolyn-Mora-Haufes-Computer:~] pedrocar%
[Pedro-Carolyn-Mora-Haufes-Computer:~] pedrocar% 'ps auxc|grep iTunes'
tcsh: ps auxc|grep iTunes: Command not found.
[Pedro-Carolyn-Mora-Haufes-Computer:~] pedrocar%

uuummm.... yeah... How do you know all this stuff?  ;D

[Pedro-Carolyn-Mora-Haufes-Computer:~] pedrocar% ps auxc | grep iTunes
[Pedro-Carolyn-Mora-Haufes-Computer:~] pedrocar% \302\266

So, these are the numbers that I have to terminate? sorry, I know it's frustrating... and I appretiate your efforts

BiQ_

" ... "
Nomad said:
[Pedro-Carolyn-Mora-Haufes-Computer:~] pedrocar% ps auxc | grep iTunes
[Pedro-Carolyn-Mora-Haufes-Computer:~] pedrocar% \302\266

So, these are the numbers that I have to terminate? sorry, I know it's frustrating... and I appretiate your efforts

Agh. I have no idea how it would give that kind of results anyway... something went wrong. It looks like iTunesHelper is not even running, but we don't let that stop us just yet ... open Applications->Utilities->Activity Monitor. Select 'All Processes' from pop-up menu on upper part of the window, search for iTunes Helper on the list... if it's not there, then it does not exist and the last few posts in this thread are useless.  :-\ If it is there, check its Process ID and go to Terminal and write

kill -HUP #

(where # is the process id, of course). If iTunesHelper didn't go away, change -HUP with -KILL and try again.
After this,
Denial said:
Try installing again.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
BiQ-- said:
Agh. I have no idea how it would give that kind of results anyway... something went wrong. It looks like iTunesHelper is not even running, but we don't let that stop us just yet ... open Applications->Utilities->Activity Monitor. Select 'All Processes' from pop-up menu on upper part of the window, search for iTunes Helper on the list... if it's not there, then it does not exist and the last few posts in this thread are useless. :-\ If it is there, check its Process ID and go to Terminal and write

kill -HUP #

(where # is the process id, of course). If iTunesHelper didn't go away, change -HUP with -KILL and try again.
After this,
There is none... I also did a search on ituneshelper in the HD...and nothing still. Acutally I just noticed, my itunes isnt working either lol! :'(

Nomad said:
There is none... I also did a search on ituneshelper in the HD...and nothing still.  Acutally I just noticed, my itunes isnt working either lol!  :'(

Assuming you followed my directions from earlier, the reason for that should be obvious -- you deleted it.
Get rid of iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iTunes and Garageband. Get rid of their installation receipts. Get rid of their preferences in your User/Library and in your /Library (though there shouldn't be any in the latter). Make sure iTunes helper is not running and, preferably, don't run anything other than Finder and the Installer. If it doesn't work you're probably doing something wrong, or something is wrong with your warez...(ahem) DVD.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
well... the only thing in there (user/library) was itunes and imovies... still no luck.
Now I tried changing my desktop, and it wont even open it. The "submit bug report" screen poped up. Damn you naked Vida Guerra's pics! ;D

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Well guys, thanks for the help... I really needed to wipe out the HD... everything is runing perfect. Again, thanks for all the help.

Top Bottom