Vax's Colors

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: A coloration

Pretty solid work. I like the glow on Zodd's face from the sparks. But that red background sort of ruins it for me. Put in some snowy colors and it's a winner.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight

Hm!  Yeah, this is a good first work!  We have a lot of budding colorization masters here lately!   :D

Switch your layer mode from 'darken' to 'multiply' and the lineart will go back to black instead of turning greenish underneath the colors. 

I'd like to see it with a snowy background as well - just to compare.  Again, excellent work!  Hope to see more.  ;D

Oh, and thanks for the color essay in the stickie'd thread!

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head

Thanks for the tips.  I took your advice and here's how it came out.  I originally used the red background to try and add tension, but I guess it was too bright and out of place.  I bet it would have worked better if I had started with yellow/orange and gradated to a darker red, or even black.  I'll try and get more up sometime soon, but I'll be in Italy next week so don't expect anything too soon.
BerserkColoration1-final2.jpg

P.S.: No problem for the color essay.  Hope it helps people.

1st project? Lookin good....listen to the advice listed above...they know their shit. But yea practice, practice, practice!!!! ;)

wh00t, for a first colouring it's phat. The blue looks indeed a lot better and reaally brings the sphere at the moment forth IMO...

:)

Vaxillus

Finally got around to coloring another one.  This just took me about two hours since the resolution was so low (it's only the preview).  Thought I'd color it to celebrate the release of the chapter tonight assuming the message in the news fader was right.
Edit: DOH! Misread the news fader. Though the 'No' stood for number.

256preview.jpg

I know it isn't typical Serpico attire (no green!) but I wanted to have the colors work well together, and green instead of yellow would probably have made the blue look off.  I figure he's probably dressed up for the ball anyway.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Vaxillus said:
Finally got around to coloring another one.  This just took me about two hours since the resolution was so low (it's only the preview).  Thought I'd color it to celebrate the release of the chapter tonight assuming the message in the news fader was right.

256preview.jpg

I know it isn't typical Serpico attire (no green!) but I wanted to have the colors work well together, and green instead of yellow would probably have made the blue look off.  I figure he's probably dressed up for the ball anyway.
Personally I like the yellow attire. He must have more than green in his wardrobe anyway. Unlike a certain Black Swordsman I know... 8)

Vaxillus

enjoy
09.jpg

Actually, this one is from an attempted joint project with some of the other artists here. The goal was to colorize an entire chapter, but due to summer business/laziness, is didn't really get off the ground. Here's a page I colored for it, and I have another one mostly done. I'll post it when it's finished.

Vaxillus

Finally got my lazy ass in gear and finished this damn page. I like this one a lot, though te background lacks detail. The DS came out great though.
10.jpg

Vaxillus

Sorry to double post, but nobody replied after I posted the last one. Either not good enough or people just didn't notice, but whatever. Here's one that I started way back when and just finished. I like it a lot:

Puck-Knight.jpg

HAHAHAHA thats funny Vax.....i was doing this page allllllllong time ago....but got frustrated with color choices and gave up. Ha...our watermelons were identical.....that sounds gay.....good stuff Vax. My only suggestion is to change the color of the feather on his head.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nice work Vaxillus, on both pictures. However, you made the beetle too blue I think. They're dark blue, but very dark. The bottom part of the big one is clearer than the rest too, but I'm not sure what color it should be. Also, the Puck blazons should be much brighter IMHO, they're unshadowed in the original picture (the dark parts represent the natural dark aspect of the bugs' carapaces).

CnC

Ad Oculos
Nice colors vax. I like the puck recolor, especially. Keep it up, and focus more on the lighting in addition to the color.

Vaxillus

I have to agree, the color choices are pretty trashy. Unfortunately, this was about the second one I tried to color, but never finished. I actually improved the blue a bit from what it was, but not nearly enough. It was even brighter before. I'll be sure never to color a feather like that again, ever.

As for the watermelons, well, there are only so many ways to color a watermelon.

Expect something a bit better sometime soon...

Vaxillus

Ok Walter, here are the goods (above, previousely a WIP). Cut and crop as desired. I hope it qualifies as Encyclopedia worthy. If you want anything changed, just ask.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if you could lasso the surroundings out and make the background transparent, it could be incorporated. As is, it would stick out from the rest.

Top Bottom