New Board Name

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The board name does not, and has never dictated the actions and attitudes of its populace.  Shootin the Breeze / The Trash Can / Hawks Embassy / The Nursery has never changed its qualities, or had any lasting control placed over it. I just toy around with the name for laughs.  So please, don't blame the lack of activity on the changing of a name.

As for making the board private, I'd considered it once, for about five minutes, but I know that it would get nasty.  Anyway the real "problem" (if you want to call it that) with board activity lately is too FEW conflicts, too LITTLE commotion.  Just like in war, invention and innovation are born from conflict.  If we stifled the conflict, what would there be to argue about? The trick is balance.

PS: That's not to say I'm against a private board if that's what the majority wants. I'm pretty democratic if you look at my previous decisions in the board.

Well I myself am against a private board, for one reason mainly. That is Kentaro Miura. I love his work so much, I think it would punch him in the face to limit Berserk to a select few. I do understand, and hopefully everyone else does to, that there will always be those you do not want around, whether they bring badness to the board, or you just don't like them. You also have to realize that there is over 6.4 billion people in the world and not everyone is a saint. I say roll with the punches, the board seems to have done pretty well in that aspect over the years. Sure, every once and a while something happens that pisses someone off, maybe everyone, but we are still here, and Kentaro Miura is still producing Berserk. That is the main point of the site, right? So be happy, and enjoy Berserk. Give Miura his credit, or else.  ;D

- C

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Agent_C said:
Kentaro Miura is still producing Berserk. That is the main point of the site, right? So be happy, and enjoy Berserk. Give Miura his credit, or else.

Actually the point in restricting the board access would be to prevent people to use what's in it to deny Kentarou Miura his credit and money.

I say that if you don't like some people on the board.. just ignore them. I don't even post anymore in here because of the lack of time, but last year I've been here a lot. I started to ignore ELEKTROFUNK after some trouble with him.. look now, he's not here anymore ! (Seems to, his account is deleted and I don't know why..)

What I mean is that a private board won't really help. Who will decide who's gonna be a member ? What will be the discriminating createria ?

Everything is fine like this...

Agent_C said:
Well I myself am against a private board, for one reason mainly. That is Kentaro Miura. I love his work so much, I think it would punch him in the face to limit Berserk to a select few. I do understand, and hopefully everyone else does to, that there will always be those you do not want around, whether they bring badness to the board, or you just don't like them. You also have to realize that there is over 6.4 billion people in the world and not everyone is a saint. I say roll with the punches, the board seems to have done pretty well in that aspect over the years. Sure, every once and a while something happens that pisses someone off, maybe everyone, but we are still here, and Kentaro Miura is still producing Berserk. That is the main point of the site, right? So be happy, and enjoy Berserk. Give Miura his credit, or else.  ;D

- C
I agree the site should be a public site. it just makes the board that much cooler, and laid back.than other sites that have Berserk as they're main subject. plus you get to spread Berserk to a larger group than a select few, even though all you would have to do is join. but there are still the few that just want to lurk and read the translations by ppl like Saiki or who ever else. i mean who knows? maybe most of the translators found SkullKnight.net by just googling it and lurking around a little bit before joining.
Aazealh said:
Actually the point in restricting the board access would be to prevent people to use what's in it to deny Kentarou Miura his credit and money.
you see you make a great point as well. maybe the translations part could be restricted or only the new translations? but cool parts like the encyclopedia i think should stay unrestricted

i guess I'm for a completely public site. 8)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarthVenom said:
maybe the translations part could be restricted or only the new translations? but cool parts like the encyclopedia i think should stay unrestricted

Well that's actually what I was suggesting. The Encyclopedia would never be private.

Aazealh said:

IMO, if you like to adjust board membership to fit what cold justice and fairness would suggest here is what it seems it would be all about:

Everybody could be able to join in and post in board sections except for the following ones:
Current chapters
Speculation Nation
Translations
Only people that are buying YA and speak japaneese should be able to post there

Now, how does this and only this translates according to reason? Very negativelly for the effectiveness of the board: Logically, no translators over here any more.

Now, if it were to be followed this way of justice, would  it be positive or negative for Miura eventually? I think, nil most propably: neither positive, nor negative.

If this board, the way it's been working till now has had even a slight positive on it, it shouldn't be changed.

BiQ_

" ... "
xechnao said:
IMO, if you like to adjust board membership to fit what cold justice and fairness would suggest here is what it seems it would be all about:

Everybody could be able to join in and post in board sections except for the following ones:
Current chapters
Speculation Nation
Translations
Only people that are buying YA and speak japaneese should be able to post there

(emphasis mine)

OK, requiring people to buy YA to get to post in those I could understand, but I honestly see no point in requiring people to know Japanese... Isn't this what the translations are here for, anyways??  ??? Actually, I'd even say that just restricting the scans (=read access to Current Episodes...) to only those who buy YA would be quite sufficient. (For the record, I have to admit that I do not buy YA... and my collection of Berserk mangas is still not quite complete. I'll be getting there, however... :-[)

BiQ-- said:
(emphasis mine)

OK, requiring people to buy YA to get to post in those I could understand, but I honestly see no point in requiring people to know japanese... Isn't this what the translations are here for, anyways??  ???

Yes, of course. I posted the japaneese for the translations section.

BiQ-- said:
Actually, I'd even say that just restricting the scans (=read access to Current Episodes...) to only those who buy YA would be quite sufficient. For the record, I have to admit that I do not buy YA... :-[)

I disagree. Unless the site starts paying for translators to...translate  ;)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
xechnao said:
IMO, if you like to adjust board membership to fit what cold justice and fairness would suggest here is what it seems it would be all about

Sorry but much like BiQ-- I can't see how that would make any sense, really, so let's just drop the topic.

xechnao said:
Unless the site starts paying for translators to...translate ;)

That's enough a reason to go to jail you know, why not start selling them? ::)

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
jesus christ u guys turned this post into a political argument!

As for making the board private, I'd considered it once, for about five minutes, but I know that it would get nasty.  Anyway the real "problem" (if you want to call it that) with board activity lately is too FEW conflicts, too LITTLE commotion.  Just like in war, invention and innovation are born from conflict.  If we stifled the conflict, what would there be to argue about?  The trick is balance.

well my say in that---

someone says something bad. aazealh cleans it up. the end. we need a bad mod too when you think about it.

Aazealh said:
Sorry but much like BiQ-- I can't see how that would make any sense, really, so let's just drop the topic.

BiQ said that according to him, it made sense to restrict "the scans (=read access to Current Episodes...) to only those who buy YA".
And you were in favor of restricting it first place in sake of Miura's profits.
Well, yes, this doesn't make sense IMO and I posted trying to make you see so . Don't make it seem now that it was me not making any sense first place ;D
Now, since it seems we have reached a concensus on the matter (ie that board restriction policy shouldn't change from the way it is right now), I agree the topic must be dropped.

Aazealh said:
That's enough a reason to go to jail you know, why not start selling them? ::)

My point, exactly: it wouldn't even be legitimatelly viable for skullknight to restrict posting -talking about translations obviously.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
xechnao said:
Now, since it seems we have reached a concensus on the matter (ie that board restriction policy shouldn't change from the way it is right now), I agree the topic must be dropped.

Nothing has been reached, you just don't make sense. Read what I first wrote 100 times and try again.

xechnao said:
My point, exactly

No.

PS: I don't think you understand the concept of having the board private. It wouldn't change anything as far as posting by current members go.

Aazealh said:
Nothing has been reached, you just don't make sense. Read what I first wrote 100 times and try again.

No.

Lol,  there must have been some misunderstanding over here

Aazealh said:
PS: I don't think you understand the concept of having the board private. It wouldn't change anything as far as posting by current members go.

Yes, I read the Miura's credits and money point and I disagreed with that.
Anyway, tired to ellaborate more on this.
We have reached or not a consensus, whatever you like
I have posted to make clear my point - sorry if it didn't work for you.

Walter said:
The board name does not, and has never dictated the actions and attitudes of its populace. Shootin the Breeze / The Trash Can / Hawks Embassy / The Nursery has never changed its qualities, or had any lasting control placed over it. I just toy around with the name for laughs. So please, don't blame the lack of activity on the changing of a name.

As for making the board private, I'd considered it once, for about five minutes, but I know that it would get nasty. Anyway the real "problem" (if you want to call it that) with board activity lately is too FEW conflicts, too LITTLE commotion.

Pretty much agreed with that statement. But with the rather slow rate at which new material is produced I feel like that's kind of expected. I think to an extent that there's a bit of a curt attitude to some people here that has a tendency to shut down alternative perspectives. Sometimes I feel like it's warranted, other times not (When it's directed towards me, for example. Ha.). But, well, when people are too insecure to hold on to their own opinions and try and back them up reasonably there's not much that can be done for that.

BiQ_

" ... "
Would a private board still be open for everyone to register into?
If yes, would it really matter if it's private or not? In one scenario there would just be a flood of new users who do nothing but read the forum like they did before.
If no, would it be totally closed for everyone who was not a member when the switch happened? Even the text translations?

I have absolutely no authority to say what you (Walter, Aazealh, other admins) do with this board, but I'd really like to see the text translations at least semi-publically available to everyone who wants to get them (requiring registration would be fine), as I really don't see them depriving Miura of anything. If anything, they are helping to create market for Berserk tankoubons outside of Japan, or that's how I see it, at least. If the problem is scanlation groups taking their translations here... well... would scanlation groups stop doing scanlations if SK.net's translations were closed from them? No. And I'd bet they would still get them here one way or another. And even if they tried to translate them by their own... right. I present you to most of thehawks.org tripe, meaning slews of so-called berserk fans who only have the slightest idea what actually happens in the manga. But if this board is closed from them, I guess we don't need to care. :p

The only another point where I can see this board as a public place doing any harm to Miura's and other official Berserk people's interests is the Current Episodes area, namely the scans of newest episodes that get posted there. For that, I really have no middle-road solutions. As one who does not get YA, suggesting this is painful... would the problem go away if the habit of posting scans of new episodes was stopped? And would it really suffice to have the board to require registration before getting to see the Current Episodes area (or anything at all)? That would surely be preferable option to many people using this board, me included, but would it really change anything? Maybe it would but I don't really know. If the publicness of the board creates problems, then I guess they need to be addressed. It's up to you to decide whether or not the problems are worse than their solutions.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BiQ-- said:
Would a private board still be open for everyone to register into?

Yes, it means it wouldn't be accessible to guests, i.e. unregistered users.

BiQ-- said:
I have absolutely no authority to say what you (Walter, Aazealh, other admins) do with this board

Well, your opinion counts as a member.

BiQ-- said:
would scanlation groups stop doing scanlations if SK.net's translations were closed from them?

Who knows? Maybe they'd focus on Bleach and Hunter X Hunter instead. ::) "Berserk scanlation teams" usually being one guy doing the copy/paste job, around 5 fake Internet IDs on a credit page, and a bunch of fanatic forum members.

BiQ-- said:
slews of so-called berserk fans who only have the slightest idea what actually happens in the manga.

That exists already, though. 8)

BiQ-- said:
would the problem go away if the habit of posting scans of new episodes was stopped?

This isn't really a problem in itself. It's not like members here are scanning their own YAs anymore (a lot of members do believe that scans are a major source of unwanted attention though). A great many people get the scans from here, but it's not an SK.net exclusivity (scanned by some anonymous Japanese guy before the release, like most magazines nowadays), and we're not advertising or mass distributing them or anything. We're making it possible for dedicated people to enjoy the continuity of Berserk through its serialisation, while strongly promoting the purchase of the manga. That's not exceptionally estimable: that's a compromise. But a compromise that I think does retain some nobility when compared to "bersek.v1-29.all.eng.manga.gore.rape.4gb.torrent".

Having selected parts of the board privates wouldn't change a lot of things, but it would reinforce this state of fact, i.e. SK.net not being JUST about getting illegal material at the detriment of Kentarou Miura.

These days people are used to some pattern of Internet manga distribution: the "raw" is released, the text translation is released, one or several speedsub teams release a low quality version, then a high quality one, and finally some super group releases the super high quality version with color pages and whatnot. Well that's good for mainstream shônen manga, but Berserk isn't like that, and as a result SK.net doesn't have its place in that kind of system either. In the same vein, we have episodes, because the story is divided in arcs and chapters already, like a book that's more than 500 pages. 8)

BiQ-- said:
In one scenario there would just be a flood of new users who do nothing but read the forum like they did before.

As I said earlier, there are good arguments in favor of keeping it public, but in any case that would allow for a better regulation of actual leeching.

Now I don't see why we're still talking about this honestly, there is no change planned at the moment... Feels like you guys want it to happen or something. :p So if there's any other question on the subject, it might as well be asked and answered by PM.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'll reiterate that I have absolutely no intention of making the board private. But it's good to hear everyone's opinion on the matter. Personally, I feel the current system of ostracization works fine for filtering through the masses. Suuporting quality posts and slandering meaningless ones is the fulcrum that keeps us wedged against oblivion. There's been no public outcry to BAN anyone in years. There's no need. They leave of their own volition.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I thought they tried that on Xechnao a couple weeks before I left? OR do you mean there's been no public outcr to ban anyone that has worked?
You're right. I should have been more careful on how I worded it. There's no telling how many times there's been PARANOIA about banning. But those that were followed through with I can count on two fingers.

Aazealh said:
Well that's actually what I was suggesting. The Encyclopedia would never be private.
my bad dude i accidentally passed by what you posted before i wrote that
Aazealh said:
I'd say let's at least make the Current Episodes and especially the Translation sections private. There are also good arguments in favor of having them public though.

anyway back to the subject. i think that the new board name is pretty funny. i mean considering how many ppl argue or post with out looking at a little icon on the top of the screen know as the "Search" button ;D and i was wondering if the name of the board is going to go back to "shootin the breeze"? or is it going to stay "The Nursery" for a while?

oh yeah i know its a complete other subject on another skullknight board but i thought i might just make everyonoe happy in saying that the
THE ENGLISH VOICE ACTORS FOR BERSERK RULE!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Top Bottom