Odd moment in "Guardians of desire"

In graphic novel 3 during the last chapter in "Guardians of desire: end" something stuck out that seemed out of place. After Theresia makes her threat to kill him when he gets older, Puck follows Guts and notices that he is about to cry. I'm aware of what this man has been through, and that his emotions must be very mixed up at the time, but did it seem like an awkward moment to anyone else? Can someone give me an explanation as to why Guts breaks down suddenly like that? the only thing I can think of is the pity he feels for the girl now, that she has so much hate inside herself.

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
Hey,
I'm sure that once you read up to the most recent volume you'll understand, but basically Teresia tells Guts that the death of her father, her life being thrown in disarray, etc. was "all his fault."  After you read the next several volumes of manga do you realize that someone else said that to him a long time ago when he was a member of an elite band of mercenaries called the Band of the Hawks.  Without delving too much of the plot in case you haven't read it all, in that scene where Guts is getting emotional is because her statement is triggering a memory of what happened to him in the past and there was a lot that happened.  You've just barely reached the tip of the iceberg and trust me, there's a lot under the water you can't even reach yet.  Hope that helps!

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
[Spoilers I guess]So was it Casca yelling at him that Theresia reminded him of? Like that time in the cave?[End Spoilers I guess]

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I think he's referring to Gambino. Least I hope so, 'cause that's the only thing I can think of. :-\

BiQ_

" ... "
Guts had an encounter with Griffith (well, Femto, but from Guts' perspective it doesn't seem to matter) and had to still see that "his petty existence is beneath our notice"...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
He's sad because the LITTLE GIRL HATES HIM while under his harsh, sarcastic and badass appareance and behavior, he's a sentitive, kind at heart hero who's deeply hurt by her reaction and wish things were different.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
tama chan said:
I appreciate your opinion on the above question Aazealh, but do you always act like everyone is lower then you when they just want something answered?

Only when they're actually lower. :-*

tama chan said:
I've read your past post replys, and it seems like you always regard people as idiots, even if they have a valid question. :p

I don't know what would imply that in my past replies, please point it out to illustrate your statement that would, otherwise, be pure calumny.

under his harsh, sarcastic, and superior behavior, he's a sensitive, kind at heart admin.

As for Guts crying... guy's just gotta let it all out sometime, ya know?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
DefaultJ!! said:
under his harsh, sarcastic, and superior behavior, he's a sensitive, kind at heart admin.

As for Guts crying... guy's just gotta let it all out sometime, ya know?
I'd probably cry if I went through Guts' personal hell, too. :'(

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I don't think it had any direct relation to scenes depicted volumes laters; material Miura probably hadn't thought of yet, and certainly not to that degree.

It was just to generally show that there's a little more to Guts than meets the eye.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
tama chan said:
In every other post I've read, you never reply with a positive attitude. Thats all I'm saying, and I don't see the reason for it.
He hasn't ever replied in a negative or even non-positive manner towards me.  He really wasn't saying anything negative until someone attacked him.  I wish you guys would give him a break.  He may not have all the answers, but pretty much all the moderators here seem to know their stuff inside and out.  Besides, he puts one hell of a lot of work into the forum, and as a moderator of another forum which is not even remotely as sizeable as this and suffers far less from the general tides of ignorance (referring not to this thread but to many of the redundant threads that people start), I have been through only an inkling of the amount of irritation he must suffer.  Even so, I have come to appreciate all his hard work, and how irritating it is to suffer constant flaming by people who feel they are repressed, even though they aren't even suffering the remotest hint of tyranny.  So, I ask you kindly, with the utmost respect, to leave him the FUCK alone.

Edit: spell check

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hehe, thanks for "taking my defense" Vaxillus, it's good to know that not everybody has some kind of chronic hyper-susceptibility/lack of humor thing going on. I think DefaultJ!! summed me up quite well:

DefaultJ!! said:

I'm badass, too. 8)

tama chan said:
In every other post I've read, you never reply with a positive attitude. Thats all I'm saying, and I dont see the reason for it.

Well, I guess you didn't read enough posts then. :) I would also like to know what a "positive attitude" is to you, maybe we just have a different way to consider things. Since we all have different backgrounds and culture, we should always try to relativize the way we perceive other people's manners. ;)

tama chan said:
No I didn't mean you, I meant Aazealh. :p Anyway I've got nothing against anyone on here, I just don't see any reason to be sarcastic even with people who aren't "On the level".

I rarely show any sarcasm in my posts, and I surely didn't here. :-\ I just replied to your question... I feel like you have something against me now, in spite of what you said. :(

Anyway tama chan, I don't think there's really any basis to your allegations, but that's not a problem with me in any way (well except that it's off topic). The good part of a public board is that people can judge from themselves. Sorry if my formulation is a problem to you, in this case just look at Griffith's post, it says the same thing. ;)

PS: In regard to your remarks, I'll change my avatar to reflect my state of mind when posting on the board. :) I'm also septupling the use of smileys in my posts.

Posted by: Aazealh Posted on: Today at 06:10:22 AM

PS: In regard to your remarks, I'll change my avatar to reflect my state of mind when posting on the board.

;D Excellent.

Posted by: Aazealh Posted on: Today at 06:10:22 AM

I'm also septupling the use of smileys in my posts.

:-\

Back on subject, is it so bad for Guts to cry? That is just a simple expression of feelings when words do not meet the requirements for those feelings. In this world, and the Berserk world, words often do not express the true feelings we hold inside for many situations. Sometimes a simple smile, or extreme expression does better. :)

- C

PS. Since you cannot hear or see Aaz, what made you judge his post in a harsh manner? I mean, if he had a sarcastic tone in his voice, or stern look on his face, yeah. Regardless, I do not want to stir shit up, not my intent. Just pointing out the obvious, which usually gets me in trouble. My last expression for the night, after I say don't respond and think about it, is that i digress. 8)

Let it go dude, move on. This is your chance to pretend nothing ever happened. I'm pretty sure Aaz would be happy with that too, just drop it. Be happy to read Berserk!

Repeat after me: "Miura is awesome!"

Now you are forgiven. ;D Don't forget, have a nice day. 8)

- C

Vaxillus

tama chan said:
What the hell? First of all, I'm in no way attacking his ability to moderate forum boards; I don't even know the guy. But what I do know, is that you don't have to be an ass answering questions, and there is no need for it.

OK, re-read the conversation. Aazealh didn't act that way till he was attacked. If you found some problem with his first post, then that's your opinion, and I'm not going to argue. I wasn't targetting you specifically, it just seems like many of the senior members/admins have been getting thrashed lately over the dumbest things.

I have another question thats been driving me crazy about that same scene.

When Therisia, grabs guts's sword and her hands are bleeding. Guts seems to freak out and look at his own hands. I'm not shure why this is, but he does it quite a few times in the series in wich ive read so far. Whatever the reason, im sure it has some connection to him crying. A few reasons for freaking otu about hands is old painful memories of.

1.How his hands were worn down from when he was a kid and got bloody hands training with his sword to forget all his wories about Gambino and such.

2. Memories of the innocent blood guts spilled killing adonis durning the assasination.

3. uhh err arrow in hand?

IF anyone knows why guts gets all tense and looks at his hands occasionally please let me know.

*try not to give me any spoilers tho, ive read the dark horse comics, and saw the anime only. **FIRST POST** :p

Vaxillus

Well, I wouldn't know from personal experience, but I'd say that loosing an arm (or cutting it off yourself no less) is quite a traumatic experience. ;)

And welcome aboard.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
SuicideCommand0 said:
I have another question thats been driving me crazy about that same scene.

When Therisia, grabs guts's sword and her hands are bleeding. Guts seems to freak out and look at his own hands. I'm not shure why this is, but he does it quite a few times in the series in wich ive read so far. Whatever the reason, im sure it has some connection to him crying. A few reasons for freaking otu about hands is old painful memories of.

1.How his hands were worn down from when he was a kid and got bloody hands training with his sword to forget all his wories about Gambino and such.

2. Memories of the innocent blood guts spilled killing adonis durning the assasination.

3. uhh err arrow in hand?

IF anyone knows why guts gets all tense and looks at his hands occasionally please let me know.

*try not to give me any spoilers tho, ive read the dark horse comics, and saw the anime only. **FIRST POST** :p

welcome..
Hmmm, I can't really think of how to explain this without spoiling, SO if you HAVE NOT read volume 9 and 10-11, DO NOT read further:

of course this could easily be wrong, but I believe it causes him to remember another occasion where someone is dangling; both when he catches Caska after she throws herself off the cliff in 9 and he is bleeding from his wound down to his hand, AND when during the eclipse Griffith is being brought up to the alter and guts begins to fall; griffith reaches out with his hand and catches guts for a minuet. right before gut's falls I believe blood begins to trickle from griffith's arm and he lets go.

of course, like said before it is unlikely that Miura had planned this so early(but I like to believe so), but realisticly speaking these could bring back some harsh memories. (just like the "Its all your fault!" comment from casca and Therisia)

Stream

Inousha
Someone once said to me, that if you write something good, it can simply happen that things "fit" together by themselves.. Maybe the subconscience material builds details in the story in the right way...
So, I never got the impression that Miura actively planned some parallels with past in that scene, but...

I think, what happens is simply revealing a tad of Gatts' humanity there... He fights like hell and goes through ALL THAT sh**,  AND then he has to deal with traumatized Theresia, saves her, AND she then freaks out on him..
I think it just got too much in the wrong moment.
Like "the extra kick when you're already down". 
Hence the tears.

Hehe... It seems that Theresia making presence once again. :guts:

Anyway, as everyone says It would be wrong claim that Guts is an insensible man, his life`s been full of tragedy since childbirth (getting it to the worse level during the events of the eclipse), I think all these dramatic experiences he has lived has made him not only stronger, but a more human and caring person, this can clearly be seen on his love for Casca and his affection for his new partners (specially Schierke IMO), let`s just hope a future event might not change this.

That part where Theresia said "It all your fault.."

Does it remind anyone that Caska did said the same thing before?

Stream

Inousha
Well, of course.
It's just that we cannot know for sure whether it's only a coincidence or was it put as a subtle link by Miura on purpose :miura: :9
Seems like one of those things left for reader to decide how he'll perceive it.

Top Bottom