Which fighting style is better?

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
The strongest sword fighter in the Berserk world is Guts and Zodd. I was thinking who have the most effective style. Zodd uses two swords on each hand. The advantage of having two sword is that you can parry with one swrod on one of the hand and strike with the other. However, you don't have the power and control you get if you hold one sword with two hands. Also, Guts sword is long, therefore, he have a better reach. The disadvantage is if Guts was fighting in a small room or a cliff, he won't able to swing his sword easlity.

What do you think?

Lliugusamui

around the corner
i think the better style is to hold one long sword and keeping a dague or short sword in dangerous situations or in order to kill without honnor, using it discretly :p

Grim_Swordsman

Super Berserker
It's not a matter of which is better but rather...taste

I prefer Gut's style....the Dragon slayer not only is enourmous but is very heavy.

A thing like that would have a HUGE momentum (apologies for those who hate physics) just think what damage the impact might cause.
Also it's size can cut through multiple opponents, saves the time and effort.
Zodd's style is also effective but all in all it weighs down to how much YOU'VE mastered the style you use.

wunwong

NOw...To gEt mY hANds uNstUcK.....
Actually, there's a serious advantage to using lighter weapons, usually due to their keener, smaller edges. Simply put, assuming that your weapon is sturdy enough not to break, you can focus more of your strength into a smaller, sharper area, as well as swing your weapon faster for various maneuvers. That way, you can get through tougher armour to hurt what ever you want to hurt. It's just a more effective way to use power. That's the advantage that Zodd's style have over Gatts's style. OF course, there's something to be said for having the largest Phallic symbol ever as your weapon when your opponents are so large that it actually takes multiple hits from the Dragon slayer to kill them.....

Lliugusamui

around the corner
i agree, though if a short sword-man comes to a Guts-like-man, the range of the long sword will slay him before he can do anything : so a short sworder have to be cunning, use his brain more .

Chinmi

Personally, I think if you can master the Dragon Slayer as well as Guts have, you would be a unstopable machine. Like Grim_swordsman said,  you can use the HUGE momentum is strike with such a force, that it would be hard for a guy to block it. But like Lliugusamui said, it depends how well you uses two swords so I can't say Guts style is better.  Its inportant to have strength but it is more inportant to have skills and stratgy.  

With that being said, when Guts was fighting that Rock monster in volume 22,  his blows was useless againest him so he figure a different appraoch to fightin him.  This one of the little things I like about Bererk.   Not only the story is amazing but the action in it is awesome.

Grim_Swordsman

Super Berserker
Okay, here is an interesting thought for you.

The guys who run in the marathons usually use Shoes which are stuffed with lead or weights. That way, the feet's muscles will become very strong. The best part is, that on the day of the race, when the racers finally switch to their old light shoes, they'll feel like flying. Thier speed would be tremndous!

Now here is my point...we can establish the thought that Gut's muscles have gotten used to the Dragon Slayer.

What if the Dragon slayer was nowhere to be reached and Gut's was forced to use a lighter sword?
Think how fast he'd wield that thing. I think he'd wield it at light speed.

But then again it's only a thought.

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
Really, we have already seen him use a lighter sword, just prior to the first time he used dragonslayer, do you remember? It broke against the first apostle!

Lliugusamui

around the corner
i remember, but i wasn't talking about the sword power and guts capacity of using it against apostles : actually, it's obvious dragon slayer has much efficacity against them
i meant he hasn't the finesse, technique of a great swordmaster ...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
i meant he hasn't the finesse, technique of a great swordmaster ...
URRRRRRRGH!

First, I’ll site everything in volumes 1-22 (and chapters 187-196) where Guts displays his prowess as an incredibly skilled swordsman in every battle he’s been in, even as a small child, but if you still aren’t convinced, this specific issue was dealt with very early on in the manga: Puck thought that Guts was just really strong and his sword gave him an advantage, that he simply swung randomly at opponents. But, when he saw Guts fighting Zondark he realized that Guts’ attacks were actually very deft and precise and that he was an awesome swordsman. Not to mention all the other people (Boscone, Silatt, Griffith, Zoddo, Serpico, Azan and countless dead people) that have acknowledged Guts’ incredible abilities.

So, I’m pretty sure Guts knows enough that he can tell a sword from his penis, unless… ;D

-Griffith

Lliugusamui

around the corner
ok, he's kind of a bad-ass !!

but ... ( hey, don't kick me !! ) I just imagine him fighting against Dominic ( or Corwyn ) from Amber by Roger Zelazny and sure he's really strong and techniqueful, but... it's hard to explain

i give up : guts is a monster, he destroys anything , happy ? ;D gtg

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
ok, he's kind of a bad-ass !!

but ... ( hey, don't kick me !! ) I just imagine him fighting against Dominic ( or Corwyn ) from Amber by Roger Zelazny and sure he's really strong and techniqueful, but... it's hard to explain

i give up : guts is a monster, he destroys anything , happy ?  ;D gtg
I think i get your point. Every manga hero is a monster in his own comic book, since his adversaries are tailored to him. It would be interesting to see them fight enemies from other "universes"

Lliugusamui

around the corner
You mean Benedict?

EXACTLY !!! :)

i don't know why i named him Dominic : anyway, it's the best swordsman in amber that lost his hand and got another from tir na nog ... it's interesting to see the similitude between celtic myths and amber : benedict is linked to Nuada ( irish ) Nudd ( welsh ) themselves linkes to the roman Nodens too, what a journey this god had made ! uhhmm... :-X

it's the best swordsman in amber that lost his hand and got another from tir na nog ...

didnt there used to be a show called "knights of tir na nog" or something? isnt it some kind of pansy place where knights transform or get super powers?

Lliugusamui

around the corner
didnt there used to be a show called "knights of tir na nog" or something? isnt it some kind of pansy place where knights transform or get super powers?

it seems, it's from irish mythology...
by the way, Tir Na Nog means the Land of Youth and is an Underworld during the night, kinda ethereal, and strange... i don't know this very well, so excuse me if i have made any mistake

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
The strongest sword fighter in the Berserk world is Guts and Zodd.  I was thinking who have the most effective style.  Zodd uses two swords on each hand.  The advantage of having two sword is that you can parry with one swrod on one of the hand and strike with the other.  However,  you don't have the power and control you get if you hold one sword with two hands.  Also, Guts sword is long, therefore, he have a better reach.  The disadvantage is if Guts was fighting in a small room or a cliff, he won't able to swing his sword easlity.

What do you think?
It's really hard to gauge there ability due to the fact that they are characters set in a fantasy setting. Berserk doesn't really lend itself to that kind of treatment. Guts' feats with the Dragonslayer alone tell you it's fantasy. I mean Guts swung the Dragonslayer with his TEETH in volume 3.  :eek: He can swing his sword full swing yet come to a complete stop when he has to. As I said it's very hard to gauge. It's not Kenshin or HNK where you can compare super moves and fighting styles. And Zoddo is this immortal God. On what level do we measure him on? By who's scale? Like I said. Very difficult.

Lliugusamui

around the corner
seing what guts can do with his teeth ( back vol 3 like you say and first dual with griffith ... ) i'm compatissant towards casca when she has been beaten not so long ago , aïe !

Chinmi

Guts is so damn strong, that he can swing the Dragon Slayer with one hand. IF he was teleported to the future, he would be the ultimate Baseball player.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Guts is so damn strong, that he can swing the Dragon Slayer with one hand.  IF he was teleported to the future, he would be the ultimate Baseball player.

i don't think dragonslayers are accepted in regular baseball games.

zoddo would be the ultimate basketballplayer. he could fly away and then........... nevermind :p

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
zoddo would be the ultimate basketballplayer. he could fly away and then........... nevermind    :p
haha :D just was imagin it...game is over...zodd got the ball and destroyed the backboards...than just flew away...

So, I’m pretty sure Guts knows enough that he can tell a sword from his penis, unless… ;D

*g* griffith u might be again right.:)

well to come back to the topic:
i guess the two of them (guts and zodl) are perfectely skilled....
no mather which technique one is using i guess, if this two face eachother only a mistake,stranger or materia could decide the battle but no straight skill.
besides i like guts style way more than zodls...

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
i hope guts is gonna tear out zoddi's heart right after defeating him. you know like kano's finishing move in mortal kombat. that'd be so koooool!!! 8)

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
Maybe he should even pull out sub zero s in mk 1...
u know the one when he takes the victims back inside out to daylight...
wenn don gscheit!

Top Bottom