Comics like Berserk (without being ripoffs)

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
I was scooting around looking for webcomics to make fun of when I thought I found a comedy goldmine, a furry comic about the angsty early years of a twin brother and sister.

What I thought was going to be a furry "yiff-fest" and lots of inside jokes that the author failed to realise make no sense to anyone else turned out to be one of those comics that hits me somewhere between the eyes because of the sad realism in it's character development.

Much like Berserk the development starts at an early age (though in this comic it is in chronological order).

Not saying the antagonist of the story is just like Guts or that the comic in general is just like Berserk, but I am saying that the comic is much like Berserk in that it is a work in progress that so far seems like all it is about is getting kicked in the face, then getting up to be happy for a while... then get kicked in the face again.

Anyone know of any other comics like this?  Neon Genesis Evangelion also comes to mind, though it was a lot more angsty then Berserk (though in my oppinion thats about how 14 year olds would act if they were suddenly given that kind of a burden).

The comic I am talking about in this pst, by the way, is Better Days, found at the link below.  Read it from the first strip forward and you should be hooked.  (Try to ignore that it uses furry characters :p)
http://www.jaynaylor.com/betterdays/

By the way, if you do know of any other Berserk-like comics (or just good/recomended comics in general) go ahead post'em below!

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Tristram said:
Not saying the antagonist of the story is just like Guts or that the comic in general is just like Berserk, but I am saying that the comic is much like Berserk in that it is a work in progress that so far seems like all it is about is getting kicked in the face, then getting up to be happy for a while... then get kicked in the face again.
I thought highs and lows where a part of every story. So it now just limits it to what, works in progress. ::)

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
Headless Death said:
I thought highs and lows where a part of every story.  So it now just limits it to what, works in progress. ::)

Okay fine, I'll be more specific.  The lows are very bad, and constant.  Innocence is ripped away at a young age.  Violence is often a solution for violence.  The character development is realistic, and happens over time.  The characters speak their minds. Making you understand the character and putting you in there shoes. All that stuff.

It just reminds me of Berserk in certain aspects even though its about a young pir of Georgia twins growing up through the drama of what could easily be a day-time TV soap opera.

Now there's something.  Berserk the soap opera!

Anyways I was asking for COMICS THAT YOU THINK ARE SIMILAR TO BERSERK, not "oh well look at me, my name is Fran Drescher! would you like some tea? I would, because I'm Fran Drescher!"

Anyone know some good comics like that? (hell, good comics in general, but for the sake of this being in Berserk Miscelaneous, keep it to being comics similar to berserk).

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
I still don't see how a comic a couple of kids growing up is like Berserk, except in the very vaguest of similarities. I read the first two chapters, and see nothing more impressive than something that can be found in an episode of "Disney's Lizzie McGuire".

But as for a good comic, ever read Priest, or Spawn.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Headless Death said:
I still don't see how a comic a couple of kids growing up is like Berserk, except in the very vaguest of similarities. I read the first two chapters, and see nothing more impressive than something that can be found in an episode of "Disney's Lizzie McGuire".

But as for a good comic, ever read Priest, or Spawn.
Read Preacher and Sandman instead.

I think Gungrave is pretty similar to Berserk in terms of story and characters. However ive only seen the anime of Gungrave, and its story is a bit like Berserk's (the anime mostly). I think its worth to see/read if you like Berserk ;)

I know the topic was comics, but i felt i had to say this anyway ^_^

haah the newest page of that last comic Tristram linked too involved a cheerleader with a raccoon tail when I clicked it. Must be the Cheerleader apostle.

Theres a lot of different ways you can compare different comics too each other, but 'shows the characters from a young age' and 'involve lots of character development and hardship' describe a lot of stories. Per that logic, then Naruto is like Berserk; its even got demons the main character's pretty-boy best friend betraying him :eek:

but since people decided to go off and talk about other comics they like... Blade of the Immortal is pretty darn awesome... and is also about a one-eyed (and occasionally one-armed) swordsman!

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
DefaultJ!! said:
but since people decided to go off and talk about other comics they like... Blade of the Immortal is pretty darn awesome... and is also about a one-eyed (and occasionally one-armed) swordsman!
Is his arm detachable?

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
If you're looking for nothing but similar content, then Arm of Kannon may fit th bill. It is more of a science fiction series, and there's less character developement (at least in the two first GNs), but it has the sort of action/horror+divine forces deal going on. I'm not sure if I like it yet, but plan to read the whole series anyway.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
What do you guys think about Neon Genesis? I've never read the comic but the whole idea of "losing control and becoming an enemy to even your friends" is in there like with Guts' berserk armor.

In fact, the first time I saw Guts fight using the Berserk armor I remember thinking "that reminds me of when Shinji's Eva would go Berserk, the way he fights now".

Speaking of that... anyone notice that Guts tends to hold his sword backwards when the Berserk armor takes over? bah. Oh and back on that Better Days comic, somone up there said they read to chapter 2. Well great! The story doesn't have the big nut-kick until chapter 5. Chapter 4 of Better Days is pretty crappy though, it was like some sort of retarded political comic.

All_4_Yume

Yume Chaser
Tristram said:
I was scooting around looking for webcomics to make fun of when I thought I found a comedy goldmine, a furry comic about the angsty early years of a twin brother and sister.

What I thought was going to be a furry "yiff-fest" and lots of inside jokes that the author failed to realise make no sense to anyone else turned out to be one of those comics that hits me somewhere between the eyes because of the sad realism in it's character development.

Much like Berserk the development starts at an early age (though in this comic it is in chronological order).

Anyone know of any other comics like this?  Neon Genesis Evangelion also comes to mind, though it was a lot more angsty then Berserk (though in my oppinion thats about how 14 year olds would act if they were suddenly given that kind of a burden).

The comic I am talking about in this pst, by the way, is Better Days, found at the link below.  Read it from the first strip forward and you should be hooked.  (Try to ignore that it uses furry characters :p)
http://www.jaynaylor.com/betterdays/

By the way, if you do know of any other Berserk-like comics (or just good/recomended comics in general) go ahead post'em below!

Why oh why did I click that link?  Mommy can I have my innocence back please? I'll never be the same again.:'(

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
All_4_Yume said:
  Why oh why did I click that link?  Mommy can I have my innocence back please? I'll never be the same again.:'(

I'm unsure if this is tongue in cheek or if it is serious. Either way it seems kind of unrealistic. Where you that badly scarred by the "black" hyenas?

"What smells like cocoa butter and ceasar salad?"

Top Bottom