Griffith's mental state

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
All the discussion lately got me thinking:

Everybody agrees upon how much Casca has suffered and how she ought to hate Griffith for it (she did go mad to escape the pain). But what about Griffith? He was tortured for over a year, got his tongue cut off (I've heard rumours of other things as well), his face flayed, tendons cut so he became a cripple... and those are just the things which left physical marks on him. Hell knows what he went through psychologically. Granted, the man is stubborn and focused to the max, but still... I am suprised he is as sane as he is (if he is).

He would have every right to hate Midland for the things which was done to him. So... when he gets his kingdom, will he be the just ruler I once thought he would be? Or has his experiences twisted him enough to make his reign, a reign of terror instead? I have no clue!

Also... I think that his sacrifice of the Hawks, and the rape of Casca was partly motivated by his sense of being abandoned. I mean, he was alone down there for over a year with no sign of anyone even caring what happened to him. Even if he still loved them (and he must have, otherwise the sacrifice would not have been any good) he still must have felt both hurt and abandoned. Especially abandoned by Gatts, and later as he saw how he and Casca had become lovers, by Casca as well. Hence his act of revenge on both of them... (of course he might have been planning the demon child too, but still... the look in his eyes as he watches Gatts during the act)

Then being transformed into Femto (or at least part of his conscious self was, the hurt and angry part, the other 'good' part might have been left behind as the Hawk of Light) and being a God Hand for several years... that is bound to be a freakish experience. Especially as the way I think about the God Hand is that all their emotions are the 'dark' variant of a normal humans emotions. Lust instead of Love etc... so his sense of betrayal and pain probably grew... if he even was very aware of what he was himself.

Then... suddenly reborn in the flesh. What a shock.. I mean imagine. No matter how controlled and ruthless Griffith might seem, he had a lot of emotions underneath that cool facade. For example his grief over the young boy who wanted to be a knight. He refuses to feel guilty over it, rationalising the whole experience, but one can see that he still suffers. And he makes the decision to take as much pain upon himself as that his followers have to take, going to bed with the old man to speed up things. And even though he tries to rationalise that part as well, in the river afterwards, he looks as if he'd rather fall apart at the seams with disgust, scratching his arms until they bled. So... he might act cool, but he's too damn sensetive undernath.

And now... back among the living he has to come to terms with the fact that he sacrificed his followers and loyal supporters, he raped Casca, his right hand and Gatts love. Now... he probably rationalises that part too, after all the Band of the Hawk were willing to die in battle for his dream, was this very different? They sacrificed themselves... And he needed to twist the foetus so that he could use it to be reborn, hence the rape of Casca (if he knew that, otherwise he will have even more regrets).

But the result is still there to haunt him. Gatts hates him and tries to kill him, Casca is insane... even though he might try to act aloof and cool, sooner or later he will crack. He has already realised he had a heartbeat and thus is still alive, and once that sinks in he can't even hide behind his own inhumanity anymore. He is human. He betrayed the people that believed in him. He hurt those that he loved and made them loathe him. All this was for a cause, and I guess he will be even more determine to achieve his Dream because of it. But will his dream be twisted and dark, instead of bright?

I think that unless Griffith has a breakdown and starts to deal with what has been done to him, and what he has done to others, things will get worse. Not even he is capable of shutting everything away for all time.

It will be interesting to see if this happens, and when the first cracks in Griffith's perfect armour will begin to show...

Gah! I got carried away I know, but damnit, he's the most itneresting guy in the story. Such a complex bastard. So... what do you people think?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I think after getting his empire Griffith will come to a realization much similar to the one Guts had in volume 12. He already had everything that really mattered to him; Guts, Caska, the Hawks and he threw it all away on some unobtainable ideal.

-Griffith

Asir

that facil is to die, that dificil is to be born
HELLO!

themselves that in it USES even is very early, but aqui in Mexico already is almost the 9 of the morning, speaking of Griffit, we try to find an explicacion to its transformacion as member from by hand of God due to its permanencia in the tower of the retribucion during but of a year, but, if are given account, everything that it sucedio to Griffit was consequence of its ownActions. We see, since I form the band of the Halcones jamas had a rout, is but, Griffit was always invincible in battle (considering that Gatt I fight with the but strong contenders in all the wars where the Halcones lent its services, Griffit went falling but in its own vanity, the to be grasped so much to its dream of possessing its own kingdom it obsesiono completely, after defeating to the Empire Chudan and to ascendto a regular one nobiliario Griffit I think that its dream already was to a single step of being achieved, when Gatt decidio to follow its own road, Griffit swollen of too much vanity it challenge to sorrow (and even not I need com went that Gatt I defeat it, quiza, to the end itself habia returned a great deal better espadachin than the) for someone that jamas has suffered a rout, this debio to have been a Shock tremendous, thatIt conducted to the desesperacion (segun I think) and to seduce the princess Charlotte, quiza because in its state of weakness already swims imported it, in short, as consequence, was torturado horribly and lodged in a dark one mazmorra where sufrio the payment of its acts and the destruccion of its dreams.

Berserk13.jpg

Diria I that Griffit in that cell itself obsesiono so much with the rout that sufrio in the hands of Gatt that finish blaming it of everything that it sucedia in its future, itself volvio a cadaver living and a to be endemico, and sure in its alone head cabia the I encourage of being avenged of Gatt by doing him to suffer this humillation, and to all that that the loved or tenia near the.

Therefore surely I violate to Caska, to be avenged of what creia the, that was because of Gatt all the hell that habia suffered (lei by ahi that the razon by which I violate to Caska was alone to show its "hombria" to show that no longer was a moribundo that alone gave grief of its glorious past.

The funny thing is, that without the aid of Gatt upon to have defeated, never to have returned Femto, neither never habria acquired all the power that has now, asi, that in certain form Gatt, I help it to be approached but to comply with its dream.

many thanks

Fishbomb

Yeah... you're right Asír, Griffith actually owes much of what he now has to Gatts.

1: The defeat of the general so that they would win the war for Midland.(not to mention all the fighting before)

2: The rescue from the dungeons so that he could flee during the eclipse and find the behelit (althougt that might have happened even if he had been in jail). If not for that he might never had become Femto. He certainly wouldn't have had that extra push of motivation by feeling abandoned by Gatts and Casca.

3: And the most interesting one: If Gatts had not told Griffith that what was really important was his dream (can't remember where exactly, I think somewhere around when they burned the queen), then Griffith might never have gone through with the sacrifice. He was hesitating there... So in a way Gatts support of Griffith's dream, and his belief in that whatever Griffith thought was right, was right... that was the very thing which led to the sacrifice.

Never thought of that one before... ;) We can blame Gatts for everything *joke*

Asir

that facil is to die, that dificil is to be born
EACH ONE it HARVESTS WHAT SOWS

it is truth that Gatt said to Griffit that was grasped to its dream, despues of all, so much the as Griffit sure they had an unfortunate life, and therefore, it only that praises toward continuing was its dreams, but, aqui is when both begin to be different, Gatt, tries to achieve its dreams by its own effort, without the aid of nobody and without owing nothing, always making use ofits will to continue, Griffit on the other hand, utilizes to the demas to achieve its objectives and prefers to lose someone very nearby that the to permit that its objective be complied with, creates to the Halcones to achieve its dream and uses to Gatt in the process, thinks that all this ahi at your service and never to fail in its goals, including itself prostituye with the king of the Empire Chudan alone by wealthWith the old alone king by a chest of gold) without doubt the mind of Griffit is very mercenaria, always seeing that can remove of provecho of the demas

. I create that falls badly Griffit : (

although Gatt could have caused it fallen of Griffit that it precipíto to the confinement, is even but truth that the fault of all that has it Griffit, by not having the sufficient will to exceed that adversity and to want to be become a victima of it done by Gatt, in my opinion, Griffit is alone a resentido that envies in certain form the way in which Gatt resolves its own life,To have to owe nothing to nobody.

Segun I see it the renaissance of Griffit is but an its called to its destruccion.

quitemosle their beautiful appearance to Griffit and that ourselves have? alone a manipulator that throw blames it to the ones that they helped it for their condicion that the same one I am provoked

thank you

Fishbomb

Gatt, tries to achieve its dreams by its own effort, without the aid of nobody and without owing nothing, always making use ofits will to continue, Griffit on the other hand, utilizes to the demas to achieve its objectives and prefers to lose someone very nearby that the to permit that its objective be complied with,

Yeah, But you have to remember that Gatts whole life have been about just himself, not about anyone else. While he pursues his goals with just his own strength, he also does not give very much to the people around him.

Sure, Griffith might use other people to get what he wants, but he also gives them the opportunity to pursue their own dreams, inside his larger ones. His creation of the Hawks served his purpose, but each and every member of the Hawks also had their own dreams. Like the little boy wanting to be a knight... Just look at how happy the members of the Hawks were once Griffith had been appointed general, and they had been knighted. Their dreams had come true too, through Griffith's larger one.

So, though Griffith might use people to get what he want, he also gave them the opportunity to make their own dreams. Just like when he tossed Casca the sword. He didn't protect her like Gatts might have (saving the girl, and then leaving her to might become a victim some other time). No, he tossed her a sword and thus taught her that is she did not want to be a victim she had to save herself. Of course she might have died, but the point of it all was that Griffith makes the opportunity for people to take charge of their own lives.

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
That's what I like bout griffis the most...that's what I could understand...

Why, oh why, did it have to end?

Thank you mr. black swordsman. But gatsu is still the cooolest.

kawaiigattschan

Isn't he cuuuuuuuuuute?
At the moment at least though Griffiths considers any feelings he has a byproduct of the body he is in. That is, the only emotion he admits to having was that one beat in his heart when near his body's mother, Caska.

If his words can be trusted all the dead bodies of the hawks mean nothing to him. "I came here to see if I would feel anything, but I don't." Or something like that.

Its like what Void said during the eclipse, that all the tragedy makes a human heart freeze. Griffiths's emotions, at least for now, are frozen; but the yearning his body feels towards its mother is not since that body's heart is not his heart.

What might happen is that the baby and Griffiths may start to merge and this could help reawaken his humanity. But for now feelings Griffiths feels don't seem to be his.

ARHicks00

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Nice description of Griffith's life. I swear for a minute there when I read it, you had a hard on for this guy. But that's a crock of shit.(Excuse for being trollish.)

After reading some of the manga over the net.(Got the hook when I was in Fanfic.net) Griffith does show emotion when looking back at his action, but not at his current actions.(Which is why he asks Gatsu for his opinion.) I also believe he is like Ranma from Ranma 1/2.(A person who suffers from Narcissitic Disorder.) He may say something in hopes of receiving appraise from his peers, but in reality is doing what he is doing for himself. Griffith highly thinks of himself, and I do mean highly. The only time he feels bad for something is when reality hits him in the face. Other than that Griffith doesn't give a good goddamn who he steps on.

Top Bottom