How do you introduce berserk

1st off im sorry if this has been coverd before i had a quick flick through and couldnt see anything.

Anyway how do u introduce berserk to others? i usually send them some of the scans to show off its amazing artwork then direct them to download the anime then BAM! they are hooked lol

As for explaining it i used to use the 'the main guy has a sword bigger than cloud(FF7)' bear in mind most of my friends are simple and actually think ff7 is a good role play game and not just a hack+slash *sigh*. Im now trying to find a better way to describe berserk in 1 sentence but i dont think it can be done.

I guess im in the same situation, but i wont push it, since ive only got one person i know outside internet that i can talk abt anime and manga to, and he has only seen the berserk anime...

so im a bit frustrated to not have anyone to discuss abt how amazing the manga is! ^^

rest of the people i know are just living in their box, having only prejudice against everything that involve anime or manga...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Here's what I say, generally: "You should read this series. I run a website on it. [inferring that I'm serious about it, and if they know me, they know I'm picky]." Then I'll let them tear through the anime, whilst I groan and laugh at its inferiority. After which, I'll show them the manga.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I usually prefer to show them the anime first to get them hooked and then give 'em the manga to read. So far I've gotten five of my friends into the manga which they read in about two days flat (from Vol. 1 - Vol. 26 at the time) and are still loving the series. They don't like reading the raws and separate text translations though, oh well. That means they have to wait longer to see the good stuff. ;D

Yeah, I also use the, "His sword's bigger than Cloud's thing a lot." But mostly I use "The main character has a sword that is 7 feet/ 2 metres tall." I have introduced it to about 2 people so far. 1st of all was when I told my friend I wanted to buy a manga called berserk (the first 3 volumes) because i liked the anime. Then he found a web site that had all three and I kept begging him to give it to me. Well, he gave it to me and we both started reading it. He's read till vol.28, and so have I. The thing is, he said it was too mature for him so he "doesn't" like it. But anyone who has read through 28 vols. of a manga HAS to like it.

The other person I kept talking about Berserk 24/7 so he decided to read the manga, he's in about vol. 14 and I am not sure if he will continue reading.

Two other people I tried introcing the manga but failed. One said he'd rather read Naruto or "Narutard" *barfs* (and if I hurt any naruto fans, I don't care, I HATE that series), so fuck him. And the other one hasn't had a chance to start reading it.

Right now I'm trying to spread the word of Berserk as much as I can, lol.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Me and my best friend both got into the series together.. so I've never really felt the need to try getting other people into it. Although, I think I might force my girlfriend to watch the anime with me sometime.

Posted by: zooty Posted on: Today at 03:31:01 AM
Im now trying to find a better way to describe berserk in 1 sentence but i dont think it can be done.

It has been done!!!

I quote: "Berserk I feel truly expresses art at its best, with realism, love, and masses of armies and demons all together."

This was stated not too long ago by a new member, TheGoblinKnight in this thread:

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=4448.msg90979#msg90979

Hope that helps because I thought it was a great one sentence description. 8)

- C

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Lemme try.

Berserk: Love, hate, friendship, and a whole lot of demons 'n shit getting chopped to pieces.

DOesn't exactly ring 'epic,' but it'll get some people hooked.

I managed to get one of my friends hooked, but I doubt he'll pay much attention to the deep stuff. Still, blood and guts justified with a plotline is good enough for him.

Void Swordsman said:
One said he'd rather read Naruto or "Narutard" *barfs* (and if I hurt any naruto fans, I don't care, I HATE that series), so fuck him.
I haven't read the manga, nor have I seen the anime. I do know, however, that too many people like it too much, so I will never touch it.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Void Swordsman said:
Yeah, I also use the, "His sword's bigger than Cloud's thing a lot." But mostly I use "The main character has a sword that is 7 feet/ 2 metres tall." 

Honestly, if I were trying to get someone interested in Berserk I wouldn't use that as a selling point, just because it's not really the reason people should be reading Berserk.  Of course the DS is awesome and is very iconic, but I'm sure there's already plenty of people out there that like Berserk only because of Guts' huge sword (heh) or that they think it's a crazy splatterfest. 

I'd go more with something like what C and Vaxillus posted, and mention a bit about the developed and well written characters, and the overall themes of the story.  And the great art, of course.  Those are what really do it for me.

I've only introduced Berserk to a couple people, during college.  Like I did then, now I'd probably do the same thing most people already suggested and show the anime first.  We can already see from all the clamor for a 2nd season that most people are more inclined to watch stuff that moves and talks and uh, stuff.  Also, there are a lot of people that aren't into comics of any type, so they're the types that might need some coaxing with the anime first.

(PS. please tell the people that ended up liking the manga to buy it! >_<)

I'm introducing the series to one of my friends soon enough. I'll probably just tell him the basics like the manga is still running in Japan, and let him form his own opinions of the series. First, I'll show him the anime. If he likes it and wants to find out more I'm going to force him to buy it(he's rich anyway) and tell him to use the translations here.

I won't mention scans at all. ;D

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
how do you introduce people to berserk?
you grab them by the back of their ass and be like YO FOOL THIS IS BERSERK SUCKA! if they try to fight back say JAM A BASTARD IN IT YOU CRAP!

seriously though,
berserk has so many positive aspects about it that even the non anime watcher would like. Just ask the person what kind of stories they like and Im sure berserk has some of that. action, adventure, fantasy, horror, romance, comedy, drama...
BERSERK HAS IT ALL BEBE!

I just emphasize how it's more or less better than any other form of entertainment I have come across. Some become intrigued enough to try it, some don't.

Top Bottom