Silat information - Forgive my lack of knowledge...

Opie

The Sex Icon
But what do we know about Silat? I've not been blessed with the manga other than what Darkhorse has given to me so I'm alittle in the dark about this guy. Any one have the answers I seek?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Opie said:
what do we know about Silat? I've not been blessed with the manga other than what Darkhorse has given to me so I'm alittle in the dark about this guy. Any one have the answers I seek?

He's the leader (or heir) of the Bakiraka clan, part of the Kushan empire and considered as a "fallen" clan (i.e. they were exiled, have no land of their own and are looked down upon). He appeared for the first time in volume 9, fought against Guts and lost twice. The Bakiraka clan was first introduced during Griffith's rescue and the escape from Wyndham, as a group of exotic fighters/assassins (most probably a special "unit" among the clan). The king of Midland then threatened to have all of the Bakiraka destroyed by Midland's armies if they brought harm to princess Charlotte, and they did (and died).

Silat's link to the Bakiraka was only revealed later. The Bakiraka consists of all the veiled warriors we can see through the manga, those that attack from roofs with exotic weapons (Jamadhars/Katars, Chakrams, etc), and differ from the regular, more conventional Kushan army. Other notable individuals from the Bakiraka are the Tapasa, 4 heavily muscled fighters that solely rely on hand to hand fighting techniques (martial arts basically), their bodies featuring prominent callosities.

Silat has been shown as obeying various generals in the Kushan army that humiliated him and his clan in spite of their obvious superiority to the regular army, and he had the task to capture (and kill) Griffith after his incarnation (which he failed at). He has recently been showed as reporting to Ganishka, the Kushan emperor, and being discharged for his failure. He then encountered Rakshas that showed him and 2 members of the Tapasa the horrors of Ganishka's experimentations (the creation of the Daka) after a chase on of the roofs of Wyndham.

Rakshas is reportedly a banned member of the Bakiraka clan, and Silat and the Tapasa fought him twice, the first time was in Shet, where Griffith freed various Midlandians (including Sonja), and was joined by most of his apostle army (with a grand entrance by Grunberd, Locus and Rakshas).

Otherwise, Silat is an extremely fast and agile fighter, able to catch a flying arrow. His three weapons of predilection are the Jamadhar (known as "Katar" in the West), the Chakram, and the Urumi. More information about them in this thread. His motivations are mostly unknown (except the fact that he strives to get redemption for his clan), but he seems to be opposing Griffith and obeying Ganishka for the moment. He remembers Guts and respects his power, knowing that he is a dangerous opponent.

Well, I think that's it from memory, if you want more more information then please specify it. I can't give you any picture since I'm at work right now, if you want some, ask me and I'll put a few up later on.

Opie

The Sex Icon
Thanks alot. That's a nice peice of information and you have me thanks.

So we have an ALMOST neuteral character running around in the shadows plotting his own little rise to power? What are your guys predictions for the character with what we know? Joining Guts and his family, falling in with Griffith and the Hawks? Being killed off? You boys would know more than me.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Opie said:
Thanks alot. That's a nice peice of information and you have me thanks. 

So we have an ALMOST neuteral character running around in the shadows plotting his own little rise to power? What are your guys predictions for the character with what we know? Joining Guts and his family, falling in with Griffith and the Hawks? Being killed off? You boys would know more than me.
My prediction:
He seems too relevant to get killed off without playing a somewhat more sizeable role.I doubt he'll fall in with Griffith, since he has a Bakiraka outcast fighting for him, and since he didn't seem to aprove of Ganishka's methods, I doubt he'll stay with them for long. I bet he'll either become nuetral or side with Guts. On the other hand, maybe there'll be some plot twist and he'll become an apostle. These are my opinions. Good question.

Void Swordsman said:
Yeah, I think he will join Guts.

Joining Guts and he have the whole outcast Bakiraka clan at his disposal? Lol

I guess that will be his last resort... When he realised both side of forces are in fact monsters... Perhap he will join to prevent his clan and his people from being exterminate by these monster

Kagami

Goo!
I have a question fellas, I noticed that after the Tapasa fought Zodd, there were only two hanging around the rest of the time. Are we to understand that 2 of the 4 died fighting Zodd? Or died some other way? What do you folks think?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kagami said:
I have a question fellas, I noticed that after the Tapasa fought Zodd, there were only two hanging around the rest of the time. Are we to understand that 2 of the 4 died fighting Zodd?

Nope, if you pay attention to the symbols on their foreheads, those that fought Rakshas in Shet, trying to get to Griffith, are the same than those that are with Silat in Wyndham. The 2 others are probably commanding a part of the Bakiraka while Silat reports to Ganishka and spies on stuff.

I'm talking about Rakshas here because I actually don't think we ever saw them fighting Zodd, and I also don't believe that Miura would have two of them die without showing it to us.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I wonder if the Tapasa will survive the series? They don't seem to be excessively important, but considdering their fighting abilities they'd have to fight someone pretty tough to get killed.

R

-rob-

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend"

Yeah throughout the manga he quickly became 1 of my favorite charectors and I had a few hopes of him alligning with Guts.

And Aazealh thanks for the breakdown. :SK:

Vaxillus said:
I wonder if the Tapasa will survive the series? They don't seem to be excessively important, but considdering their fighting abilities they'd have to fight someone pretty tough to get killed.

Well, they already survived Rakshas. Wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them bit the dust, though.

-rob- said:
Yeah throughout the manga he quickly became 1 of my favorite charectors and I had a few hopes of him alligning with Guts.

That would be awesome, but seems kinda unlikely. I'm sure that his actions will help Guts n' crew though, even if hes not 'in' with the group.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
who the hell is Tapasa? :miura:
tapasa.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DefaultJ!! said:
Wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them bit the dust, though.

I don't think they did, it wouldn't be very interesting to have characters like them die "off-screen", given their potential. And to quote an earlier post of mine in this thread:

Aazealh said:
if you pay attention to the symbols on their foreheads, those that fought Rakshas in Shet, trying to get to Griffith, are the same than those that are with Silat in Wyndham.

IMHO, it's more likely that Silat keeps two of them with him while the two others lead the Bakiraka in his absence, explaining why we haven't seen them recently. Who knows, they could even take part in the attack on Vritannis, remember that Daiba (the guy commanding the Kushan naval force for those with a bad memory) referred to a "general on the land" back then. :isidro:

fuxberg said:
who the hell is Tapasa?

As you can see in the picture Walter posted above, they're the four tough guys that appear to be Silat's lieutenants of some sort in the Bakiraka (their clan). I gave some more information about them in the second post of this thread. :SK:

R

-rob-

Aazealh said:
Rakshas is reportedly a banned member of the Bakiraka clan, and Silat and the Tapasa fought him twice, the first time was in Shet, where Griffith freed various Midlandians (including Sonja), and was joined by most of his apostle army (with a grand entrance by Grunberd, Locus and Rakshas).

Howcome Rakshas ran from Silat? I mean Rakshas could of easily defeated him couldn't he?

-rob- said:
Howcome Rakshas ran from Silat? I mean Rakshas could of easily defeated him couldn't he?
Rakshas didn't kill Silat and his men when he dropped by in Wyndham because he was leading them to where he wanted to show the horrendous method Emperor Ganishka use to create his dakas.

Seeing Ganishka's sorcery (and later his fog form) was a revelation to Silat and IMO that's what was Rakshas' purpose. Silat is the prince of the Bakiraka and what he saw may affect future decisions he makes as the leader of the clan they all have a connection to in some way. Whether Rakshas was ordered by Griffith to do so or acting on his own accord is unknown.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jhot obs said:
Seeing Ganishka's sorcery (and later his fog form) was a revelation to Silat and IMO that's what was Rakshas' purpose. Silat is the prince of the Bakiraka and what he saw may affect future decisions he makes as the leader of the clan they all have a connection to in some way.

Yes, Rakshas wanted them to know the truth about the emperor. However, let's also not forget that we didn't see him getting out of Wyndham, so he might have had another thing to do that we don't know about yet.

R

-rob-

Ight 1 more question, since this is the Silat thread.. Is there a Silat action figure made by Art of War? I know there's statues, but is there any action figures?

Top Bottom