Gatts eye?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I think Miura wanted to represent the deep, metaphysical badassness of Guts persona through the absence of one of his optical sensors.

-Griffith

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think the eye represents Guts blindness. He lost the eye when he lost his family: his vision.

Guts adopted Veangeance as his new "eye" and "vision". In the Lost Children arc it is very apparent that Guts is acting blindly without real direction. Guts would have continued to wander about if it werent for Godo's speech to Guts, which has helped him regain some of his blindness.

This is just my thoughts....

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I think the eye represents Guts blindness. He lost the eye when he lost his family: his vision.

Guts adopted Veangeance as his new "eye" and "vision". In the Lost Children arc it is very apparent that Guts is acting blindly without real direction. Guts would have continued to wander about if it werent for Godo's speech to Guts, which has helped him regain some of his blindness.

This is just my thoughts....
I totally agree with you Walter, but I don’t think I’m correct in my assumption. Ultimately, I think Guts eye represents alienation and loss of innocence. Before he could judge his world through both eyes, but now, his misplaced eye can only see the past, it is now the eye of his memory, his mind’s eye. While his left, or sinister, eye is all that remains to him, forcing him to look at his vision of the present through this dark and twisted perspective. He can’t recognize the deeper meaning of his situation or that of others because without his right eye he’s lost his “depth perception”. Before he lived in a world of color but now he only sees in black and white with everything else grayed out, the very story of Guts itself is told in black in white, because that’s the limit of Guts’ own understanding.

I only hope that one day Guts can live in a colorized future.

-Griffith

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I totally agree with you Walter, but I don’t think I’m correct in my assumption. Ultimately, I think Guts eye represents alienation and loss of innocence. Before he could judge his world through both eyes, but now, his misplaced eye can only see the past, it is now the eye of his memory, his mind’s eye. While his left, or sinister, eye is all that remains to him, forcing him to look at his vision of the present through this dark and twisted perspective. He can’t recognize the deeper meaning of his situation or that of others because without his right eye he’s lost his “depth perception”. Before he lived in a world of color but now he only sees in black and white with everything else grayed out, the very story of Guts itself is told in black in white, because that’s the limit of Guts’ own understanding.

I only hope that one day Guts can live in a colorized future.

-Griffith
Ok now thats just a straight rip-off of Cowboy Bebop. Cool idea though.

Honestly, I dont really believe this is what Miura intended, however this metaphor about the eye DOES work, and is consistent.

wuwei

hmm...
in referance to the physical structure of the eye, more that likely the monster peirced into the pupil and cratched/broke the lense inside.  as a result, it might completely destroy the iris muscle, but the film covering both the iris and the pupil might have healed, because it normally constantly has to heal itself from flying dust and the such anyway, thus allowing gutts's eye to retain its spherical shape.  if miura had taken a more logical approach to the destruction of the eye, i believe the monster would have mangled the eye and destroyed the eyelid muscles, thus leavin a hunk of meat and 2 flaps in the eye socket.  although, miura made the correct descision in drawing it more simply, because a hunk of meat and 2 flaps are quite unattractive, as well as the fact that they may be hard to draw.

i cant say anything about the symbolic themes attachted to the eye, because i have not reached that climactic point in the series yet.

wunwong

NOw...To gEt mY hANds uNstUcK.....
heh, I think it was done just for the look of it. ;D its a good way to separate pre-eclipse Gatts from post-eclipse Gatts. No need to read too much into it :D

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
I can’t imagine why.

adon.jpg

-Griffith

Heh'

aelka

*gasp* you know how hot I am? *no.*
about Gatt's eye will heal off after everything turns "normal" again *well, technically there's no "again" as Gatt's birth is the birth of his trauma*
sounds a little Kenshin...I'd agree on it being a scar of history but I doubt this kinda teen idol mangas shit is going to happen in Berserk. ;D

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
Corum is a hero created by Michael Morcock in the novel "The Knight of The Swords"(1972), that lacks the right eye, the left hand...and has pointy ears. He fights against Gods called the Lords of Chaos.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Fascinating, though on the actual topic, personally I don't see what difference it has made to the man himself.. yes, we would all be gutted if we lost part of a vital sense, but it still doesn't really make his performance or determination decrease.. if the worst comes to worst, he should lose the other one and record Motown songs with Stevie Wonder.. two teenage idols together.. Winning combination me thinks :p

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
Fascinating, though on the actual topic, personally I don't see what difference it has made to the man himself.. yes, we would all be gutted if we lost part of a vital sense, but it still doesn't really make his performance or determination decrease.. if the worst comes to worst, he should lose the other one and record Motown songs with Stevie Wonder.. two teenage idols together.. Winning combination me thinks  :p

A Stevie Wonder reference. That's cool. :)

floydboy

Is There anybody out there?
Commenting on what Griffith said about his mind's eye....

So, perhaps what Guts needs to do is open his 'third eye'. There is actually part of our brain called the pineal body (a tiny gland in the brain stem) which is nicknamed our 'third eye', which is theorized to be extremely sensitive to light, ...etc.... If Guts were to open this third eye, he could plausibly see everything - including the ability to decipher emotions and people - around him.

Another thing is that he does retain memories of his life....but as they are seen through both eyes. As when someone loses a limb....they still have muscle memory of that limb. For instance, if you lost your foot, your brain would still think and you would 'feel' your foot about to be planted when you walk.....the only thing being that there wouldn't be a foot there to plant.

Guts sees his world through 2 different viewpoints. Through his memory and through his still functioning eye.....

As long as the optic nerve still has some semblence of order left....it coulld still have impulses going through it....

or check this out....Puck implanted a crazy monster thing in his eye...and it's just waiting to pop out.... Puck healed the eye but made it home to a little friend....
(Dunno where that came from....)

Btw-

Cowboy Hip-Hop eh?....well the OST did rock

ARHicks00

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Or maybe he does open his right eye because he's already of blasting everything in sight with his mutant optical blast. :p

Top Bottom