Episode 256

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Ahhhh that was an awesome chapter. Exactly what I was expecting from Serpico. Maybe he will get a little more credit now :) as a duelist at least. His manuevers were pretty amazing.

Can never get enough of Miura's action sequences. So good.

Judo

Midlands finest
Not much room for getting into the charakters without the text.
Well, judging by the pictures that take place in Serpicos mind, he is going through a very serious development during the fight. Guts himself seems rather tranquil for a life-or-death-duel with a former fellow.
I wonder what action Schierke ignites on page 16... or maybe she is just receiving Serpicos thoughts.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I somewhat agree with Xech about the whole  "training" thing but I don't think its intentional. More or less, Gut's is just keeping it in check so he doesnt go ape shit and kill everyone on scene. Granted that is more then likely very obvious.

There is insight and foresight in Serpico's spirit about it. Why not be intentional since he is the one that has put them in this situation?

Kinda, Serpico thinking: if you cant't control the beast while fighting and we are around we shouldn't go on travelling with you -it's too dangerous and I couldn't protect Farnese ever. Since we still don't know and we have to know the sooner the possible, we can only but try with fighting right now to see and get the best you can do about it.

Simply Amazing really :eek:

Guts swaping his arm at the very instance when Serp tried to attack, Using the DS not only to save himself from the falling brick but use it as an advantage to blockk and counter attack Serpico's surprise attack

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I hate being in Okinawa cause they always get the god damn Young Animal late cause the mainland has to ship it to this podunk area >:(

Well, you'd better find a way to get it though, there's cool stuff in it: a few phone cards will be distributed, and the "Collected Paintings of Berserk I" (out of 3) is featured as an appendix. It's composed of some of the illustrations Miura made himself for the TCG. (pictures: 01, 02, 03).

Serpico said:
Exactly what I was expecting from Serpico. Maybe he will get a little more credit now :) as a duelist at least. His manuevers were pretty amazing.

Not that I don't like Serpico's manoeuvres or anything, but he definitely isn't on the winning side for now, and Puck has prepared a coffin with a "Pico" written on it. ;D

Judo said:
Well, judging by the pictures that take place in Serpicos mind, he is going through a very serious development during the fight.

He recognizes Guts' qualities, and acknowledge that not only Farnese changed during the journey but him also, and that he likes it in a way, that his mind was "paralysed" before that.

Judo said:
I wonder what action Schierke ignites on page 16... or maybe she is just receiving Serpicos thoughts.

She's just calling him and warning him that he can't hide behind the pillars anymore.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Excellent chapter. I'm looking forward to reading the translations to go with the chapter. Was it worth the wait? The last page says "Yes!" ;)

Serpico

Aazealh said:
Not that I don't like Serpico's manoeuvres or anything, but he definitely isn't on the winning side for now, and Puck has prepared a coffin with a "Pico" written on it. ;D

Ya, I'm not saying he's winning. I dont think he would win 95% of the time. I mean I think he has demonstrated he has a chance to win, which says alot to how skilled he is. Gatsu is my favorite but I usually prefer to root for Serpico since he is underestimated so much by comparison.

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
Serpico said:
Ahhhh that was an awesome chapter. Exactly what I was expecting from Serpico. Maybe he will get a little more credit now  :) as a duelist at least. His manuevers were pretty amazing.

Can never get enough of Miura's action sequences. So good.
I'm actually looking at the fight more like it's showing that Guts has improved even more, because in his injured state and in a "arena" that gives him a disadvantage he is able to read Serpico's moves and still battle him on even terms.

The point where it felt like I was supposed to start really acknowledging Serpico's skill was definately when he and Guts battled on that ledge against the cliff-face.

But in any case I agree, Miura's action sequences are second to none.

S

Some Guy

Guts so far has done a bit better than I expected given the fighting contitions. Guts has managed to perry all of Serpico's tricky tactics and was able to ward off an inkling of the beast (though maybe temporarily). It looks like Serpico will have to dodge some debris Guts had deflected in his direction.

I look forward to the translation

Opie

The Sex Icon
Serpicos jumping around just makes me want to see a Griffith vs Serpico show down once and for all.

Excellent episode!

If Guts actually goes Berserk, he will turn into s buzzsaw and destroy the whole area!!!!!!! :eek:

I hope Serpico sees that even though he is still alive, it has taken an injured Guts in a extreme disadvantage arena to keep him from being slaughtered. I can't wait for the translations myself! Superb I say!! 8)

- C

Serpico

Opie said:
Serpicos jumping around just makes me want to see a Griffith vs Serpico show down once and for all.

Ya I really hope serpico survives to the end of the manga for that reason, so that that they might spar a bit before the main event. They both so that evil eye thing hehe, that would be great. Although Serpico would probably die to the new Griffith  :'(

To no one in particular:

To be fair, Serpico is naturally disadvantaged armor wise to Guts as well. Guts is still wearing a full suit of Godly armor, not to mention his metal hand is extremely usefull, while Serpico is pretty much naked since he needs to be mobile (not that armor would do any good against Guts, he will chop right through) Guts armor definitly helps him alot though while he can stay agile. Thats something Serpico just doesnt have.

If Serpico had the wind cloak I think that is more even, then he wouldnt need to rely on the pillars since he can jump and move much higher and faster. Gatsu is wearing a magical item that suits him, the wind cloak is the same thing for Serpico. I don't think Guts minds too much that Serpico uses all the tactics he can muster up, and I'd be suprised if Guts used anything other than his sword because he knows his full arsenal and power is way too much for Serpico.

Basically I would love to see them fight with Serpico in his cloak, but not the wind sword cause i dont like ranged attacks. Personally I feel it cant penetrate Guts sword or armor anyway. But fighting in the pillars provides for its own awesome and very entertaining feats.

Woland said:
Thanks for the episode Aazealh.

Serpico's a spry motherfucker ain't he.

Agreed on the spryness and the thanks :)

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Aazealh said:
...and seems to appreciate Guts a lot, him who fights against his environment and forge his own path instead of being passive and just adapting himself to whatever happens (like Serpico does).
Get in line Serpico, get in line.

Awesome episode, thanks Aaz.

A coment on the armor, it seems to me as though cursed items/fetishes are not destroyable by mundane means. It seems to me like it would take an item of similar caliber to even dent the armor. I think that a duel between Guts and Serpico when he had his magic gear might not be as well ballanced, since Guts is injured and all and can't move fast.

What's also great is the fact that the next episode, assuming I read the date correctly, comes out in only two weeks. Enough time to build suspense, but not so long as to let the suspense wear off.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
What's also great is the fact that the next episode, assuming I read the date correctly, comes out in only two weeks. Enough time to build suspense, but not so long as to let the suspense wear off.

Yeah, it'll be out on June 10th. Two weeks is the normal delay though, Miura just took a lot of breaks recently.

puella

Berserk forever
257 short preview from YA:

• The first page will be colored.
  • A line in the next episode (?): "いいぜ、受けてやる"
    I guess this line is Guts'. It means "All right, (I'll) accept (you)" or "(I'll) take it."

That line is very close to what Guts says in episode 255 when accepting Serpico's duel though ("いいぜ"). Actually the line "いいぜ、受けてやる" fits into the scene very well. Plus, the sad thing is that Young Animal's previews are often unreliable.

puella said:

[*]A line in the next episode: "いいぜ、受けてやる"
I guess this line will be Guts'. It means "All right, (I'll) accept (you)".[/list]

So perhaps we'll have Azan in the group?!

Wah wah wah said:
I'm actually looking at the fight more like it's showing that Guts has improved even more, because in his injured state and in a "arena" that gives him a disadvantage he is able to read Serpico's moves and still battle him on even terms

Yes that what i am suspecting also, and he is really in bad shape... If Serp challenge him in his healthy condition, he head would have lost the very moment he squat down and attack his arm... (Do u guys realise Serpico head was so close to the edge of DS at the moment? Just a slight movement toward his direction will end everything...)

Serpico said:
Ya I really hope serpico survives to the end of the manga for that reason, so that that they might spar a bit before the main event. They both so that evil eye thing hehe, that would be great. Although Serpico would probably die to the new Griffith :'(

What he meant was old Griffith if i am not wrong... Serp would never never in his like stand a chance with the new Hawk leader... for old Griffith i have a feeling that Serp will defeat him should there be such chance... Of course i am not saying much otherwise it will spark a old debate that will never stop...

Serpico said:
To no one in particular:
To be fair, Serpico is naturally disadvantaged armor wise to Guts as well. Guts is still wearing a full suit of Godly armor, not to mention his metal hand is extremely usefull, while Serpico is pretty much naked since he needs to be mobile (not that armor would do any good against Guts, he will chop right through) Guts armor definitly helps him alot though while he can stay agile. Thats something Serpico just doesnt have.

Come and think of it... Do you think by wearing armor would help much? If he could slash through 2 pillars in one blow what make you think an armour will do him good... Plus it does restrict his movement which he seriously need it to dodge Guts deadly attack...

Just a comment... I feel quite sad for those Berserk fans who never see the scans before... The last episode of volume 29 will be cliffhanger and i am quite sure torment of waiting of vol 30 will kill them...

Serpico

Smith said:
Come and think of it... Do you think by wearing armor would help much? If he could slash through 2 pillars in one blow what make you think an armour will do him good... Plus it does restrict his movement which he seriously need it to dodge Guts deadly attack... 

I said exactly that in my post already Smith :p

[quote author=Serpico]
Serpico is pretty much naked since he needs to be mobile (not that armor would do any good against Guts, he will chop right through)
[/quote]

My point was Guts Armor and fake hand helps him alot, while Serpico doesnt have that option since its too heavy for him. Gatsu armor is also magic to top that off, we know he actually had even more agility while wearing it. Overall this is a huge advantage for Guts.

Currently you might say the pillars ARE Serpico's armor. I think its fair enough.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, time to dynamize the thread.

Serpico said:
My point was Guts Armor and fake hand helps him alot, while Serpico doesnt have that option since its too heavy for him.

Haha, that's funny. So Guts has tons of advantages, but if Serpico had the same advantages than him, it would be disadvantages. In my book that just makes Guts stronger.

roberto999 said:
If this was a boxing match the round would go to Serpico

I think you guys need to come back to reality... Serpico is fighting a very weakened man, that can only stand because of a magical armor and has trouble keeping control of himself and thus must be wary not to get too much into the fight, yet is still fighting to death. That guy also can't wield his weapon without breaking thick pillars. ::)

Yet he dominates his enemy with ease, as you can judge by all the sweat covering Serpico's face, out-thinks his every trick and move, wound him, and is apparently going to smack his face with gravel. Serpico himself during the fight recognizes that his opponent is formidable, acknowledging the difference between them.

And now people are saying that having a fake forearm is helpful compared to having two functional hands, and that it greatly advantages Guts, as well as wearing armor (without it he couldn't even get out of bed for all we know, by the way), but that if Serpico wore armor it would disadvantage him.

Maybe Guts should fight naked with his feet tied and a wooden stick as his only weapon while people shoot arrows at him? Maybe that would be fair fighting? Don't mistake my point here guys, I appreciate Serpico's skills a lot as a fighter and a tactician, but Guts is just stronger, he's the hero, and in a boxing match the round would go to him by K.O.

These two guys have different fighting styles, and Serpico sure could use his cape and feather sword (though he doesn't seem to have fully mastered them yet, he made mistakes everytime he fought with them, and against Guts that would mean death), but he decided that he didn't need them when he gave them back to Schierke, and now he is in a situation that he put himself in... Whatever happens is a consequence of his own actions.

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
puella said:

• The first page will be colored.
  • A line in the next episode (?): "いいぜ、受けてやる"
    I guess this line is Guts'. It means "All right, (I'll) accept (you)" or "(I'll) take it."

That line is very close to what Guts says in episode 255 when accepting Serpico's duel though ("いいぜ"). Actually the line "いいぜ、受けてやる" fits into the scene very well. Plus, the sad thing is that Young Animal's previews are often unreliable.

It almost sounds like they're hinting at the Beast, though I figure it's Guts accepting a truce for the moment.

Top Bottom