Map of Midland

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Fëndor said:
then... the logo of "places" section...

Yes? Could you please formulate complete sentences?

Anyway, if you mean the Locations section's background image in the Encyclopedia, Walter took it from something non-Berserk related, sorry.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Fëndor said:
then... the logo of "places" section...
Hahaha I wish.

A map of the Berserk world (it's bigger than Midland you know...) has been discussed here a few times in the past. THe problem with creating it is that it would be 99% fictional, having no real grounds for space or concrete distance between locations. Countries' locations would have to be assumed based on relative landmarks (Midland in middle, Kushan Empire to the South East?) So in the end, it's just not feasible at all, until Miura releases one himself.

Would be cool though.

CnC

Ad Oculos
until actual geography comes into play in the story telling, i don't see a need to ever release a map.

Yeah, other great fantasy writers like Bob Howard and Tolkien and George Martin made maps for their worlds, so Miura ought to take a crack at it.

I don't think we really need one, but it would be a nice extra thing to have. Also I think there are other reasons for it too, I mean there could be places we do not know about yet and it would be hard to make a map with the other world realms like the troll place, that and there really is no need to make one :p.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
Yeah, its not like we really need to know the relative position of the other Holy See member nations to Vrittanis. It probably wouldn't be of much help mapping Guts' journey from Godo's hut to the sea either, so just forget the map, it has no real value to the readers whatsoever.

While I agree that a detailed map is probably not necessary for the average reader of Berserk, I must say that for someone yearning for knowledge of this world a map might be very useful. Visualising the geographical features and relative distances between important locations would greatly help in understanding the physical aspects of the whole world of Berserk.

Just for the sake of comparison, maps were always of a very high importance for those who studied Tolkien's Middle-Earth.

-Villain

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Villain said:
I must say that for someone yearning for knowledge of this world a map might be very useful.

Yes, even if not vital it'd still be interesting for the fans anyway, that really isn't the question. I'm sure we'd all love to have an official and reliable map of Midland (and the rest of the Berserk world) made by Miura, but none exists at the moment.

It's possible he would rather develop the countries Blueprints through the story rather than a planned map in concrete this soon in the story. If one isn't made by the end of the story though I would be a little disappointed.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Wouldn't it be safe to say the real world map would resemble the Berserk world map? (which would include but not specify the location of Midland)

Since much of the setting seems influenced by real history (the 100 Years War was the name of a real war, and the Kushan invasion is comparable to Europe and the Middle East's relationship), I think it's pretty safe to say such a thing. At the very least, it's how I've always pictured the Berserk world.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
Wouldn't it be safe to say the real world map would resemble the Berserk world map? (which would include but not specify the location of Midland)
No.

At the very least, it's how I've always pictured the Berserk world.
You're delusional.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
Wouldn't it be safe to say the real world map would resemble the Berserk world map?

Well it's possible, but definitely not "safe to say" at this point.

Vaxillus said:
Since much of the setting seems influenced by real history

Some elements (I wouldn't say "much of the setting") are loosely influenced by real world history, but the correlation is really superficial.

Meh I'd rather imagine how the world looks. I think it adds that much more to interpret the world then being constrained by a map. It'll also leave Miura open to mold the world as he sees fit w/ out contradicting himself. :???: :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
Untill I see and official map though, I'll stick to my little belief.

Fine with me.

Map-Berserkworld.gif

:schierke:

I love the beaches of Vritannis in the summer...

Seriously I would love to have a map. But I think if Miura were to do something such as that he would probably do when the world was more complete. Though I am sure Miura knows where his story is going it doesn't mean he has ironed out all the details, there is probably still quite a bit that he has yet to compose formally (though this is absolute speculation on my part, so I make no claim to actually know what Miura is up to) - if so his making a map COULD be somewhat premature. Though I am absolutely sure he would be more than capable of producing one.

(Note: I am not saying that Miura is "making this up as he goes along" since it is obvious that he has a direction he is taking this story. Which is actually one of the great pleasures of his work, it is not meant to continue indefinitely (as so many series are). Instead he is building toward a conclusion - a purposeful one.)

I guess I think like Vax. Always pictured the Berserk world that we know of as something vaguely similar to Europe. Not sure why either, just always pictured it as something similar for some reason.

Top Bottom