Map of Midland

Griffith said:
Miura needs to do a map of the Berserk World in the style of the Hyborian/European map from the old Conan paperbacks. :guts:

original.gif
That would be awesome, but still, a chance of this happening... :sad:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Konketsuji said:
That would be awesome, but still, a chance of this happening... :sad:

I'll make your dreams come true! :void:

midlandmap.jpg

Ta da! :troll:

On a more serious note, looking through this thread and those excellent 305 posts again made me want to look more closely at the Berserk landscape myself. I made a couple of new comparative maps inspired by the ones posted by Walter and mysteltainn. Have a look:

Pretty intuitive, the red lines connect similar points of reference on Miura's Earth to the map of Western Europe, highlighting individual and overall similitude. Even knowing there was correlation ahead of time, I was pretty surprised how well so many things fit. It's not perfect of course, some points are more similar than others, and the distorted perspective of the landforms and map only add to the interpretation involved. There's also little relation to Eastern Europe, as it doesn't appear to exist on Miura's world. Maybe he wanted to do a manga so Western that nothing east of Turkey even exists. :ganishka:

Then there's this:

berseuropeanimated.gif

Forgive the crudity of this model.​

More for fun and shock value than accuracy, it certainly gets the point across. Some parts I did better than others, though they may be opposite depending on your criteria (accuracy vs making things fit), but you can't have a real valid overlay without a 3D global map at the same angle as Miura's image.

Looks cool. I hope there are going to be more epic events like that, so we could see a bigger picture. And someone like you could recreate the whole map.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Some parts I did better than others, though they may be opposite depending on your criteria (accuracy vs making things fit), but you can't have a real valid overlay without a 3D global map at the same angle as Miura's image.

Yeah, I think an important point is lost in those comparisons: the degree to which the landmasses actually differ. When the episode came out I tried to compare Miura's shots with various 3D global maps positioned as close to the angle he uses as I could, and I found that there was just no way to get a good match. They're deformed, but beyond that I believe the scale itself is wrong.

Even just comparing the two shots of the planet we see in the episode brings up divergences, like the fact the epicenter of the astral "explosion" as seen from the moon is not where it would be in our world.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Yeah, I think an important point is lost in those comparisons: the degree to which the landmasses actually differ. When the episode came out I tried to compare Miura's shots with various 3D global maps positioned as close to the angle he uses as I could, and I found that there was just no way to get a good match. They're deformed, but beyond that I believe the scale itself is wrong.

For a change of pace, instead of trying to make a map fit the angle of Miura's shot, I tried flattening Miura's shot into an overhead map, using the rudimentary method of flattening the white light emanating from Ganishka appear as a circle. It turned out better than I expected, and makes for easy comparison with a map of Europe provided inside the circle.

bersearth.jpg

As similar as it is to Western Europe, one can see things become quite different the farther East you go, much of the landmass being replaced by ocean.

Aazealh said:
Even just comparing the two shots of the planet we see in the episode brings up divergences, like the fact the epicenter of the astral "explosion" as seen from the moon is not where it would be in our world.

Yeah, that's strange, and difficult to determine whether the divergence is one with Miura's world as compared to the real world, or a divergence between the different shots of the light itself and it's progress covering the planet.

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840
Wasn't there another global shot shown where part of a pseudo Africa and Madagascar is seen?

Maybe he wanted to do a manga so Western that nothing east of Turkey even exists.

The Kushan's are pretty damned Indic/Persian (also named after a real Central Asian/North Indian empire).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Funkmasta Zeph said:
Wasn't there another global shot shown where part of a pseudo Africa and Madagascar is seen?

There is, though it doesn't fit with the other shot given where the epicenter of the explosion is situated. It places it pretty far away from Midland.

Funkmasta Zeph said:
The Kushan's are pretty damned Indic/Persian (also named after a real Central Asian/North Indian empire).

That's not the point.

Top Bottom