Proj's colors

CnC

Ad Oculos
link isn't workin'

EDIT: ok, now its working.

Its a good coloring, its a bit plain tho. There is no variance in color or light (I realize the setting doesn't lend itself too well). Are we to assume theres no source of light here? Miura indicated something coming from the rear right (mostly right) of the scene.
As a character coloring its good (I like the flesh tones), but I think the background needs more than a flat grey

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
CnC said:
As a character coloring its good (I like the flesh tones), but I think the background needs more than a flat grey

I agree, the background is too plain. You could try coloring it like the actual Mosque it was based on. I believe it's La Mezquita in Spain...I think...

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
In Proj's favor, that background is very hard to do something with. The entire thing is done up in screentones, and the shadows and stuff are a bit awkward. It's doable, but I don't think it suits Proj's simplified and speedy yet vibrant style, it would just take too long to do anything with it. I like the blue you chose though, nice to see him in something besides green. Green definately suits him, but variety is nice.

Good looking out with the light source...i forgot about it!!! I'll go and fix it. The only reason I've been banging these out is cuz I've had like 5 days off from work so I had plenty of time to do these. But sadly, I won't have a day off for awhile.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Proj2501 said:
Good looking out with the light source...i forgot about it!!! I'll go and fix it.

Already much better. Don't forget light... its the most important.

Proj2501 said:
The only reason I've been banging these out is cuz I've had like 5 days off from work so I had plenty of time to do these. But sadly, I won't have a day off for awhile.

I hear ya. If I had my way I'd sit at home and draw all day. Ah well, c'est la vie..

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
That looks much better. I really like orange-ish glow you added to the background. Much less bland looking. Keep up the good work! :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, nicely done, it adds a lot to the picture. Now since you're done, I second the request for a double page. :SK:

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Perhaps something from the Millenium Falcon arc. Don't choose the one where he's unslinging his sword in font of the charging trolls in qliphoth (sp?), I'm workin' on that one (and it's a bitch!).

CnC

Ad Oculos
Proj2501 said:
Say no more, any suggestions?

Try this, no matter what scene you choose, go on google or something and look for a photo with similar lighting conditions to what you would want to acheive. Use that photo as a guide to how you choose your colors.
Good luck

I've decided on a 2 page spread...
GutsvsDakacopy.jpg

Now excuse me as I pass out...

CnC

Ad Oculos
If I could offer a tip it helps to fill the canvas with color as soon as possible before beginning the individual detailing. It makes things easier in many respects. You can work on the background before the foreground, you get a good sense of how to light the scene, plus it just speeds things overall (IMO). Theres quite a bit of room to make this a dramatic scene (or more so than it already is Miura rules!). Seems the light is coming from behind the daka, so you could make the light focus on Guts a little more than natural (he's the focal point).

Just some suggestions. Good luck.

Aazealh said:
That's spelled "cojones" actually, and he's got them for sure. :SK:

PS: "Mister", too.

Don' be messin' with mah fonetiks... meester

The only thing so far that has me nervous is the fog...what color to make it etc...i already have tons of ideas that will add detail. I know the fire is coming from the ships behind them.
If you guys can throw out some suggestions on how to go about the fog I'd appreciate it, i mean i have my own ideas, but suggestions can only help.

Kagami

Goo!
Proj2501 said:
but suggestions can only help.

I don't have a suggestion, but a request/question. Will the final picture be suited for desktop backgrounds?  :???:

Your stuff looks great (I really like the warm color pics) and using em for my desktop would make it that much prettier

edit: I mean size wise :D

CnC

Ad Oculos
Proj2501 said:
The only thing so far that has me nervous is the fog...what color to make it etc...i already have tons of ideas that will add detail. I know the fire is coming from the ships behind them.
If you guys can throw out some suggestions on how to go about the fog I'd appreciate it, i mean i have my own ideas, but suggestions can only help.

Well, the scene lends itself to volumetric lighting. Like I tried to achieve in my daka pic, I'd imagine there would be an bright yellow/orange tint to the fog, with breakups where a daka's shadow would be. Those little details usually sell the idea that its smoke/fog.
This is another reason why nailing the lighting comes before detailing the characters. 'Cuase that light relationship comes first. Work from bigger to smaller.

It is definitely NOT plain white. Its night time and theres a bright light coming from the rear of the picture. You might want to breakup the fog a little more and show some of the street and the feet of the Daka/Guts. I realize that its thick fog but fog is inherently thinner than smoke and lets light through.

Hope that helps.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
I realize that its thick fog but fog is inherently thinner than fog and lets light through.

Hmm, fog is inherently thinner than fog, I never thought about that. :void: It's magic fog though, it comes in a special thick/white flavor.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Hmm, fog is inherently thinner than fog, I never thought about that. :void:

Your preference for thick, white substances aside, I meant to say smoke -and have edited my original post. Thanks :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Your preference for thick, white substances aside

What, you don't like mayonnaise or bechamel? Tasteless American... :troll:

I just have a preference for accuracy. Anyway Proj, while it might not be easy, it'd be cool if you tried to incorporate the light radiating from Iveralla in that coloring (on Schierke's hat).

Top Bottom