Author Topic: Episode 257  (Read 34560 times)

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 06:39:24 AM by Aazealh »

Offline SaiyajinNoOuji

• Of the Abyss
  • I'm still better than you
Re: Episode 257
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 02:31:58 AM »
Emailed the kanji to my wife! Will be getting  translation soon.  8)

Edit: Ex-nay on that one... she says she doesnt understand the old kanji.   :'(  If it wasnt for her cooking, i would have gotten rid of her!  >:(
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 02:37:13 AM by SaiyajinNoOuji »
"Plenty of time to sleep when you're dead!"

Offline dwarfkicker

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 02:36:44 AM »
Wow, for the first time I actually don't know where to begin the speculation.  Usually the preview gives away one of the pannels on the first two pages so there's no doubt this is in the beginning of the page.

I guess the Kushan haven't decided to make their presence felt just yet.

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 02:42:38 AM »
Well, for starters, it opens up the possibility that the preview line is something said at the ball rather than the scene of the duel.

P.S. What's for dinner, Saiya?

Offline SaiyajinNoOuji

• Of the Abyss
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 03:01:23 AM »
P.S. What's for dinner, Saiya?
Actaully going to a CoCo's Curry... just think fast food curry... Mmmmm tasty chicken cutlet with curry and cheese with NAN!!!!!!  :o

back on topic. I wonder if this is the part that people will notice Guts and Serpico duking it out.

Offline mahlernut

• Of the Interstice
  • I call the big one Bitey!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 03:37:54 AM »
きょうけんのそうしゅ

Leader of the religious world?  I'm probably missing a particular parallel of some sort here...宗主(そうしゅ)is  some sort of feudal European religious leader, and 教圏(きょうけん)is the "religious sphere," methinks. 

Offline BiQ--

• Of the Interstice
  • " ... "
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 06:11:49 AM »
The Pope?

But, it seems to me to be the Father Vandimion. Well, wasn't he (and the family) one of the most prominent supporters of Holy See? This surely yields him a considerable influence in the Holy See.

Offline puella

• Gourmet Elf
  • Of the Abyss
  • Popopopopopopopo!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 06:35:59 AM »
Edit: Ex-nay on that one... she says she doesnt understand the old kanji.   :'(  If it wasnt for her cooking, i would have gotten rid of her!  >:(

Are they old kanji? Well, not to me.^^;
I'd translate it "Suzerain of the ecclesiastical authority".
He's Mr.Vandimion,definitely.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 06:47:04 AM »
Looks like Magnifico's going to get his ass verbally kicked by daddy Vandimion...

Then when he'll start reprimanding Farnese, Serpico will come running at them, bloodied all over, yelling for them to run to the chopper. Then Guts will apppear, roaring with all his might, and at the same time a feline pishacha will jump out of a window and eat a noble. 8)

Offline SaiyajinNoOuji

• Of the Abyss
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 07:30:53 AM »
Looks like Magnifico's going to get his ass verbally kicked by daddy Vandimion...

Then when he'll start reprimanding Farnese, Serpico will come running at them, bloodied all over, yelling for them to run to the chopper. Then Guts will apppear, roaring with all his might, and at the same time a feline pishacha will jump out of a window and eat a noble. 8)
I'm intrigued by your story, where may I subscribe to your newsletter?  8)

Offline Nomad

• Of the Vortex
  • "Bring the light of day"
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 07:33:37 AM »
  A good reason to be waken up... Thanks Grif.  ;D

Offline xechnao

• The Board's Troll Boy
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 08:03:55 AM »

My take is that daddy's presence has to do with asking the rise of forces against the Kushans - asking the nobles and declaring that the army will be under Holy See's command.
And the game plays on people's backs and they don't even have a clue about it, wasting their energy because their attention is distracted by the rulers' game itself.
Pay attention people. Watch your back!

Offline SaiyajinNoOuji

• Of the Abyss
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 10:36:29 AM »
My take is that daddy's presence has to do with asking the rise of forces against the Kushans - asking the nobles and declaring that the army will be under Holy See's command.
Now that I could understand! I think Xech may be onto something!  8)

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 12:30:34 PM »
Well, for starters, it opens up the possibility that the preview line is something said at the ball rather than the scene of the duel.

Interesting thought, and it would sure make sense. That line however doesn't really fit Vandimion's character and way to speak, it's more like the kind of thing Guts would say.

A good reason to be waken up...

There's no such thing as a good reason to be waken up.

I'm intrigued by your story, where may I subscribe to your newsletter?

Just send a blank email to younganimal@gmail.com. ;)

Well, the various armies are already gathered around Vritannis and should be ready; I'm not sure the soldiers would really need any order from the nobles to defend against the Kushans. They're also supposed to have an alliance (not feudalist relations), so I think the high nobles and experienced generals wouldn't like it much if they were to receive military orders from the Holy See...

Anyway, the Kushans seem to be planning a stealthy attack using familiars, so I doubt Vandimion to be aware of the danger yet. I think they'll realize the situation during this episode or the next, with either Guts' band interfering with the ball, or the pishacha that killed the guards attacking the nobles.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 12:32:56 PM by Aazealh »

Offline xechnao

• The Board's Troll Boy
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 02:24:49 PM »
Well, the various armies are already gathered around Vritannis and should be ready; I'm not sure the soldiers would really need any order from the nobles to defend against the Kushans. They're also supposed to have an alliance (not feudalist relations), so I think the high nobles and experienced generals wouldn't like it much if they were to receive military orders from the Holy See...

Anyway, the Kushans seem to be planning a stealthy attack using familiars, so I doubt Vandimion to be aware of the danger yet. I think they'll realize the situation during this episode or the next, with either Guts' band interfering with the ball, or the pishacha that killed the guards attacking the nobles.

Yes, I wasn't talking about the immediate threat, but the Kushan - Midland issue, as seen discussed a couple of epsiodes before.
 Obviously the surprise attack will interfere with this. But they still don't know about it, so it's pretty normal to assume that they act as if they didn't.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 02:34:13 PM by xechnao »
And the game plays on people's backs and they don't even have a clue about it, wasting their energy because their attention is distracted by the rulers' game itself.

Online Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 02:42:04 PM »
Since Vandimion is such a popular and influential guy, doesn't it make more sense for him to be at the ball to give a dramatic pre-war speech?  Someone of his power wouldn't just waltz into a ball (pun intended) to discuss tactics and war preparations with generals.

What would be the function of Vandimion declaring that all the armies are under the Holy See's order?  Seems redundant, it being called the "Holy See Alliance," not to mention just bad diplomacy.  "For those who forgot, don't forget YOU'RE FIGHTING FOR THE CHURCH."

Anyway, I do hope we see a few noble deaths (no pun intended) at the jaws of a Panishka or two... hundred.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 02:47:15 PM by Walter »
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline xechnao

• The Board's Troll Boy
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 04:06:01 PM »
What would be the function of Vandimion declaring that all the armies are under the Holy See's order?  Seems redundant, it being called the "Holy See Alliance," not to mention just bad diplomacy.  "For those who forgot, don't forget YOU'RE FIGHTING FOR THE CHURCH."

Just another paragraph of his diplomatic speech. We have been on the same boat, just a different cabin.

Anyway, I do hope we see a few noble deaths (no pun intended) at the jaws of a Panishka or two... hundred.

Perhaps Vandimion himself will be the target?

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 07:19:57 PM »
Yes, I wasn't talking about the immediate threat, but the Kushan - Midland issue, as seen discussed a couple of epsiodes before.

Well in that case, since the armies are already there, I don't think that kind of "request" is needed... Forces have already risen against the Kushan empire, and the ball is actually to cheer up the troops before they get to confront the Kushans (though the "troops" invited seem to be exclusively composed of nobles).

Obviously the surprise attack will interfere with this. But they still don't know about it, so it's pretty normal to assume that they act as if they didn't.

Yup.

Since Vandimion is such a popular and influential guy, doesn't it make more sense for him to be at the ball to give a dramatic pre-war speech?  Someone of his power wouldn't just waltz into a ball (pun intended) to discuss tactics and war preparations with generals.

Yeah, and he simply wouldn't have any legitimacy in doing that anyway, he's not a Holy See leader himself (while having strong relations with them, he's still more into financial stuff), and certainly doesn't qualify as far as military matters go.

What would be the function of Vandimion declaring that all the armies are under the Holy See's order?  Seems redundant, it being called the "Holy See Alliance," not to mention just bad diplomacy.

Yeah, definitely.

Panishka

Yeah, right.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 07:23:16 PM by Aazealh »

Offline Akin

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 09:59:50 PM »
*fades in from the shadows*

This picture just screams "edit me"  ;D  (maybe its the text boxes)

So this would end up in volume 30? Hrm...  is Miura going away from the duel for a minute to show whats going on in the ballroom or.... ???

Also:  It looks like the English translation of the special preview only happens when the title is short  :'(

This makes me wonder if/when Guts's band will finally leave for elfhelm... I've been hoping that volume 29 would end with Guts and Family getting back together, stealing a boat, and leaving just as the city got sacked, with Roderick somehow ending up on board ... but then again, I didn't expect a Duel... hrm.... hopefully they'll be on the boat by the end of volume 30?

ecclesiastical
Lets not make up English words ok? ;P  All kidding aside, I guess this is the result of me avoiding religion...

Offline hanafubuku

• Of the World
  • The deal with Magnifico worked out afterall
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2005, 10:21:03 PM »
Griffith is going to crash the party...

And a 5-way battle will ensue - Nobles vs Kushan vs Griffith vs Serpico vs Guts for an all-mighty blood fest.  To commorate the event, many pages will detour from the standard black and white to include tones of red.
"If you try to fail and succeed, what have you done?"

Some Guy

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2005, 06:28:22 PM »
I'm sure the duel's conclusion will comprise the first 1/2 or 1/3 of the episode and then switch focus on Vandimion.Mr. Vandimion might be discussing the future wedding preparations for Farnese or he might be just catching wind of the killings by the familiars and may be about to give a notice for the troops to be on full alert.

One things for sure is that Mr. Vandimion doesn't look very happy in that panel

Offline hanafubuku

• Of the World
  • The deal with Magnifico worked out afterall
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2005, 06:55:16 PM »
All of the panels that have Mr. Vandimion - none of them ever show him happy  :D
"If you try to fail and succeed, what have you done?"

Offline Smith

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2005, 09:51:34 PM »
Nice preview...

It seem that duel between Guts and Serpico will end in this topic...
It piss me off when I see weaklings, it make me want to crush them

Offline Tell Me Why

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2005, 11:02:14 PM »
Less balls, more Guts vs. Serpico!

Online Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2005, 11:44:08 PM »
Less balls, more Guts vs. Serpico!
[comedy gold]
- Vandimion must have a lot of BALLS... to waltz in like that.
- The Kushans are sure going to have a BALL invading Vritannis.
- I hope Guts doesn't smash the nobles' BALL.
[/comedy gold]

Thanks, I'm here all week.
:femto: :slan: :ubik: