Episode 257

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
"Griffith No More!" said:
Yeah, I feel the same way, but I'm wondering how much he's put together about Schierke and Guts yet (if he doesn't just know everything anyway because he's like, God on Earth); he must be interested in what he's heard about his old friend recently and all those Apostles that didn't come back from Flora's.

Well, he at least knows the Black Swordsman was at Flora's place, and that he escaped along with some kids. Shouldn't be too hard for him to figure it out if he gets the right information. What matters is whether or not he will get it, and care about it if he does.

"Griffith No More!" said:
So I'm curious to see if he's going to ditch his laissez-faire attitude towards Guts and acknowledge him and his followers as threats, enemies, and official targets of the Hawks.

I've actually been waiting for that myself, for Griffith to finally recognize Guts as a menace. Somehow I feel that he won't consider it a priority even now next to the Kushan invasion, and I wonder if this attitude could be what will eventually bring his downfall.

CnC said:
If he [Griffith] was completely omnipotent it could be boring as a character.

Yeah, I agree, he's probably got some kind of intricate knowledge about the world, but I doubt him to be omniscient (if he was omnipotent there wouldn't be any story :p). If that was the case he wouldn't really need Sonja, and the implications relating to the plot would be really heavy. (Griffith, impossible to surprise or dupe?)

CnC said:
But Sonja has seen both Schierke and Guts and knows they're in the city.  And, no doubt, Zodd and the scarred Grunbeld know the extent of Guts new power.

But did she really see Guts? She saw a distant figure and a mental image from Schierke's mind at best. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but I wouldn't take it for granted that she identified Guts as the Black Swordsman (i.e. the guy that killed apostles at Flora's mansion). As for Grunberd, he probably still ruminates his humiliation, so I'd expect him to be willing to take his revenge at any cost, and of course volunteer to investigate Vritannis' situation.

CnC said:
As far as getting some form of acknowledgement of Guts as a threat, again, more likely the witch would get the attention.

I think I'd be disappointed a bit if Griffith declared Schierke a threat and not Guts, supposing that he'd know she's just a kid and not another Ganishka. Otherwise I think like Mizar that she won't say a lot about her encounter with Schierke, and she probably doesn't think much of it ("I saw pirates! Yay!"). Now maybe she can't hide anything from Griffith, whether she wants it or not.

Black_Scarlet said:
You know what, me and my friends were thinkin the same thing.

Well, it's not very probable at the moment... Since Guts and co are heading to the party and the familiar is already there, and that the Neo Hawks' camp on the contrary should be a full day's walk away from Vritannis. Griffith could have planned a surprise appearance, but I somehow doubt it.

Opie

The Sex Icon
Aazealh said:
(Griffith, impossible to surprise or dupe?)

Well we've only ever really seen Griffiths plans not work out twice, his claiming of Charlotte to early and not being able to kill Boscone right off the bat at Doldrey. The guy thinks ahead at the very least.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Opie said:
The guy thinks ahead at the very least.

Sure, but being omniscient? That means literally knowing everything. That Idea's role, not Griffith's. Not only would it be boring as CnC said, but it'd be absurb if Griffith is ever to be defeated.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Yeah, I agree, he's probably got some kind of intricate knowledge about the world, but I doubt him to be omniscient (if he was omnipotent there wouldn't be any story :p). If that was the case he wouldn't really need Sonja, and the implications relating to the plot would be really heavy. (Griffith, impossible to surprise or dupe?)

oops. omniscient was the word I was going for.

But did she really see Guts? She saw a distant figure and a mental image from Schierke's mind at best. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but I wouldn't take it for granted that she identified Guts as the Black Swordsman (i.e. the guy that killed apostles at Flora's mansion). As for Grunberd, he probably still ruminates his humiliation, so I'd expect him to be willing to take his revenge at any cost, and of course volunteer to investigate Vritannis' situation.

Like you said, it would be enough information for Griffith to peice it together. Sonja seems to be able to see a battlefield well enough at a distance as well as be pretty good with decifering mental imagery.

I think I'd be disappointed a bit if Griffith declared Schierke a threat and not Guts, supposing that he'd know she's just a kid and not another Ganishka. Otherwise I think like Mizar that she won't say a lot about her encounter with Schierke, and she probably doesn't think much of it ("I saw pirates! Yay!"). Now maybe she can't hide anything from Griffith, whether she wants it or not.

I'd be dissappointed, yes, but it would be another reiterration of how Guts is nothing to Griffith now. Or at least in speech.

Opie

The Sex Icon
Yes but thats what I'm talking about. How can Griffith be so on top of things now in the antagonist role? When he was a human Hawk he was put on pedestal and we were told of how great and near infallible he was but now that he's switched teams are we going to feel differently towards his already established skills? I mean are we going to be bored if Griffith pulls a cunning scheme on Guts the way he did on Foss?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations to asmer who won the title guessing contest and thus got his post count increased. ;)

Opie said:
When he was a human Hawk he was put on pedestal and we were told of how great and near infallible he was but now that he's switched teams are we going to feel differently towards his already established skills? I mean are we going to be bored if Griffith pulls a cunning scheme on Guts the way he did on Foss?

If anything, Griffith's skills increased, and his maneuver against Ganishka was brilliantly executed. If we didn't get bored then, we probably won't in the future. This has nothing to do with being omniscient though, it can't be compared at all.

Top Bottom