Games as bonus stories?

Given various posts asking about characters featured only in Berserk games, do you think Miura will ever include them in the manga?  Obviously not right now, but at the very end of the series as bonus stories.

As a Rurouni Kenshin reader (sorry for mentioning another manga :-[ ) , the possibility of having a spin-off story at the end wouldn't hurt Berserk, would it?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
tuxedo_nat said:
Given various posts asking about characters featured only in Berserk games, do you think Miura will ever include them in the manga? Obviously not right now, but at the very end of the series as bonus stories.

I'm not sure of what you precisely mean. Most of the remarkable characters in the Berserk games are either dead or not interesting anymore by the end of the game. The only one that would be nice to see again is Rita IMHO, from the DC game.

Now if you meant something different, like including the storyline of the games in the manga (having them as a separate bonus arc), then why not. It wouldn't work for the PS2 game however, since the extra plot of the game was inserted in between parts of the manga.

I guess I was kind of thinking of both. 

While many Berserk fans outside Japan first encountered it through the Dreamcast game, there will be some who never found the game, or for whom their copy of it no longer plays.  It would be nice, for their sake, if Miura serialised "Chapter of the Oblivion Herbs."  Besides, Caska has only come out of her trance following a brief Mandragora possession - to miss out a landmark moment like this would be wrong.

As for including Rita in the current Berserk storyline...it would be tricky.  At best she'd have a brief cameo appearance.  Although she appeared to be good with throwing knives, would she be any good in a battle if she rejoined Guts?  And I can't think of any way she could join Griffith's apostle army.

As a brief aside, which appearance by Nico came first:  the Japanese edition of Volume 22, or the Dreamcast game? 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
tuxedo_nat said:
While many Berserk fans outside Japan first encountered it through the Dreamcast game, there will be some who never found the game, or for whom their copy of it no longer plays.  It would be nice, for their sake, if Miura serialised "Chapter of the Oblivion Herbs."  Besides, Casca has only come out of her trance following a brief Mandragora possession - to miss out a landmark moment like this would be wrong.

Yeah, well why not as I said in my last post. I guess it could be included at the end of a volume, as a separate story.

tuxedo_nat said:
As for including Rita in the current Berserk storyline...it would be tricky.  At best she'd have a brief cameo appearance.

Indeed, it could hardly be more than a cameo. Nevertheless, she's still the only character that could realistically appear again.

tuxedo_nat said:
Although she appeared to be good with throwing knives

She throws darts, to be exact.

tuxedo_nat said:
As a brief aside, which appearance by Nico came first:  the Japanese edition of Volume 22, or the Dreamcast game?

Niko (it's written with a k, as far as official material goes) appeared first in the Dreamcast game of course. He also can't possibly be the same Niko than the one that appears in volume 22, there are too many differences between the 2 characters (age, physical features, one being retarded and a loner, the other being normal and having friends and a brother, the dog, etc). Most people consider the Niko appearing in volume 22 to be a small reference to the DC game left there by Miura after he decided not to explicitly incorporate the DC game's plot into the manga's storyline.

I think the DC game also contradicts the manga to the point where it's unknown if whether or not Casca can be saved, according to the game though it seems likley

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
THE BEAST said:
I think the DC game also contradicts the manga to the point where it's unknown if whether or not Casca can be saved, according to the game though it seems likley

I don't see what you mean. I don't think the game contradicts the manga in that aspect.

not so much as contradicts but gives information not given in the manga, what i mean is, is Casca hasn't snaped out of her condition momentarily before, there have been instances where her instincts kick in but nothing to the extant in the game, it's just not determined if theres hope for her yet.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
THE BEAST said:
is Casca hasn't snaped out of her condition momentarily before, there have been instances where her instincts kick in but nothing to the extant in the game, it's just not determined if theres hope for her yet.

Well there's hope for her right now, in Elfhelm.

And it's not because she came back to her senses for 5 seconds due to the mandragora that it necessarily meant it would happen again, that was never a problem. Anyway, the game's story was intended to be included in the manga's timeline when it was released, happening in the close future while Guts and Casca were travelling to Elfhelm. It even gave some insight on ulterior events that had people wondering at the time. So really, I don't think that's a problem at all.

Top Bottom