Batman Begins

the franchise has been saved... what the hell where they thinking letting joel schmuckfucker director the others?!? you cant put a flaming gay man on the set of a batman movie and expect it to not turn out like a uber-rave complete with black lights, neon lights, glow sticks and all!

most problems i had with the movie could be easily brushed off by saying "well its the earlier years, so hes not really in the swing of it yet..."

Scarecrow was great for the brief time he was in the film... it really made me nostalgic for Batman TAS... anyone remeber the episode where batman worst fear was disappointing his father... hanging from a building with his father face forming in the clouds... "bruce, youve let me down..." "NOOOOOO!" - such a great episode

It would be a shame for them to recycle batman villians for a sequel... poison ivy, joker, mr. freeze, catwomen, penguin, bane, ridler have all been used (even though part 3 and 4 can be stricken from the record)...

Ra's Al Ghul being in the film was genius and it was nice that they didnt bother mentioning it at all in all the trailers(i saw)...

well, we still got clayface ( would like to see ) and clock king... kinda the bottom of the barrel... of course they could use the "hush" series...

of course everyone is begging for a multi million dollar remake of:

Batman-The-Movie.jpg
Batman(Villains).jpg

5 movies and no adam west camio? pshh  ::)

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
Walter said:
Watchmen is excellent, no doubt. Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen have a common thread too, the social implications of superheroes. Moore has a much more on-the-nose approach to it, while Miller is generally more theatrical. But I digress...

A leatherbound edition with Year One AND DKR? Searching ebay now 8), even though I found Year One a little less enjoyble. At least it didnt come packaged with Dark Knight STRIKES AGAIN. Anyone read that trash?

My brother has a copy (must...kill brother....for comic books), but I haven't seen it available anywhere for about 10 years. Last time I actually saw a copy in a store was back in 1990 in a bookstore in London. Been searching Ebay for years...

Gawd...DKSA...y'know, it makes me very grateful to Robert Rodriguez. Considering how badly Miller has deteriorated, both as a storyteller and as an artist (at least, if DKSA is any indication), then the best thing Rodriguez can do for him is keep him occupied assisting in the production of these Sin City movies. Dunno how helpful he is, but at least he's not creating another DKSA.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Great movie.
The superhero movies that seem to focus on plot and character seem to do better than those that are going for the "wow, they have powers! they're super!" factor. Great cast

I loved the interrogation scene.

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
Not even just the best Batman movie, easily the best superhero movie in all of creation. I look forward to all of your opinions and discussing it a little more in-depth after more of you have seen it.

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
Majin Tenshi said:
The detective.
waits for someone to figure out why I posted this
Yup . Good old R'as didn't call Bats "detective". Not even once. And Talia...well she didn't call Bruce in any way because she wasn't there. Let us hope in one of the sequels ;D

Anyway I agree: this is Batman like it should to be done  8)

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
dwarfkicker said:
I'm torn on the action.  At the same time the constant close ups were killing me. 

I don't think anyone really even noticed that up untill Griff pointed it out. Shame on you all for your fake outrage!

Anyways, I enjoyed every minute of the movie. Specially since this is the first Batman movie since Batman Returns. I wish they did a little more with Scarecrow. The way they finished him off in the movie was well disapointing. We won't ever see him again in another Batman movie... EVER! The only other thing I was disapointed was with who killed Bruce's parents, I know the Joker wasn't in the movie, but it would have been a great tribute to the first Batman.

Oh well. Good Movie, I give it a billion thumbs ups!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I don't think anyone really even noticed that up untill Griff pointed it out. Shame on you all for your fake outrage!

No really, I saw it again and it's a serious flaw. Most of the action is, literally, unwatchable. =)

mahlernut

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
The only other thing I was disapointed was with who killed Bruce's parents, I know the Joker wasn't in the movie, but it would have been a great tribute to the first Batman.

I think they were more interested in making a great tribute to the comic than to the previous movie franchise ;)

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
"Griffith No More!" said:
No really, I saw it again and it's a serious flaw. Most of the action is, literally, unwatchable. =)

No I'm talking about the people that brought that up after you, not you.

mahlernut said:
I think they were more interested in making a great tribute to the comic than to the previous movie franchise ;)

Then they must die. *grins*

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
The only other thing I was disapointed was with who killed Bruce's parents, I know the Joker wasn't in the movie, but it would have been a great tribute to the first Batman.
It was a great tribute to the comics books were  the killer of Bruce's parents was...Joe Chill ( the Joker was a nine year old - like Bruce- when they did kill Bruce parents  ;D)

Griffith

How about the grand old opera scene, another fine tribute to the comics! Oh, whoops.

mahlernut

"Griffith No More!" said:
How about the grand old opera scene, another fine tribute to the comics! Oh, whoops.

Yeah, totally shoulda been the Three Musketeers.

And who the hell gets scared by opera?

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
mahlernut said:
Yeah, totally shoulda been the Three Musketeers.

And who the hell gets scared by opera?
Apparently little kids who just fell down a well and got molested by a bunch of bats.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I agree the action scenes were pretty much unwatchable. Between this and "The Bourne Supremecy" they need to ditch this "shaky cam" crap.
I can understand the regular joe shmo getting jumped by batman and we don't see exactly what happened until theres a body on the floor, but when 4-6 ninjas surround batman and all we see is a bunch of blurred video I get angry.
Its just lazy choreography.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, can we all step back from making fun of the action and just be happy there weren't 101 Scarecrows BRAWLING with Bats in a basketball court? 8)

Gordon: "I've never seen anyone move like that! How'd you move that fast!?"
Batman: "Not fast enough..."

Honestly, given action movies in the past 6 years, it could have been a LOT more embarassing. Instead, it's just sort of forgettable action. And for a character-driven movie, that's A-OK with me.

The movie was a breath of fresh air (Hollywood isn't dead to me anymore! Thanks Nolan). I don't need to reiterate my opinions because theyre already reflected, for the most part, in this thread. I'm very pleased with the movie, but I have great fears for the looming and inevitable sequel(s).

As long as Nolan directs and both Nolan and Goyer handle the script they should be at least on par with this one.

On another note, after the episode 3 topic I'm amazed we're all in agreement on this one for the most part.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
As long as Nolan directs and both Nolan and Goyer handle the script they should be at least on par with this one.
I have my doubts, mostly because the strength in this movie was in the character-driven nature of it. What's left to develop? No offense to Batman, but they've covered the bulk of his trauma very well with this movie.

Also, while I'm Nolan's biggest fan, I can't help but say it felt awkward for him to be directing a summer blockbuster, much less a superhero flick. And while he did a great job with it, I have a personal hunch he won't stick around. Then again, if the shoe (and the wallet) fits...

On another note, after the episode 3 topic I'm amazed we're all in agreement on this one for the most part.
We aren't irrational, pessimistic people. We just demand quality. I tend to get a little ticked off when trash like Episode III is groundlessly held in high esteem. But please, can we not litter this thread with Ep III rants? Please?

Kakkoii_Guts

海賊王になる男だ
I saw Batman Begins for a second time yesterday (at this miracle of a theater $3.00 for a matinee $5.00 for anything after). I enjoyed it just as much this time around. Actually I might have enjoyed it even more.

I liked the fight scenes in the movie. They fit in really well.

Watching this movie made me really nostalgic for some of my old favorite Bat books. So I recently read Batman: Son of the Demon again. It was just as cool this time around. And it stars my favorite Batman villain Ra's Al Ghul. Good times.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Walter said:
I have my doubts, mostly because the strength in this movie was in the character-driven nature of it.  What's left to develop? No offense to Batman, but they've covered the bulk of his trauma very well with this movie.
Like what, his fear of guns? More character development? Thats why we go with Jason Todd for a robin.

I kinda like the action sequences. They were the most feasible of any movie I can remember.

Griffith

Walter said:
Hey, can we all step back from making fun of the action and just be happy there weren't 101 Scarecrows BRAWLING with Bats in a basketball court?   8)

Gordon: "I've never seen anyone move like that! How'd you move that fast!?"
Batman: "Not fast enough..."

Honestly, given action movies in the past 6 years, it could have been a LOT more embarassing.  Instead, it's just sort of forgettable action. And for a character-driven movie, that's A-OK with me.

That said, sometimes it was just bad. =)

It was weakest part of the movie for me (hell, if the rest wasn't so good, I wouldn't have even noticed, nor care); but on the second viewing, even during the final battle it was hard to tell who was who at times, and that's considering one of them was dressed as a giant bat.

And I even went in the second time looking for something to rationalize the action scenes that bugged me, I hoped I was just tired or wrong before, that I could see some artistic choice at work, maybe something about the chaotic and confusing nature of mortal combat and fear, anything, but in the end I was left frustrated.

I don't even really care about the action (less is more, in my book), but I don't see what there is to defend here, this "style" is just as much a plague of cinema as what you decribed above. I'll see how it looks to me next time, third times the charm.

dwarfkicker said:

Just like all sequels; Episode III! ;)

Walter said:
I have my doubts, mostly because the strength in this movie was in the character-driven nature of it.  What's left to develop? No offense to Batman, but they've covered the bulk of his trauma very well with this movie.

Dark Knight Returns. 8)

Kakkoii_Guts said:
I saw Batman Begins for a second time yesterday (at this miracle of a theater $3.00 for a matinee $5.00 for anything after).  I enjoyed it just as much this time around.  Actually I might have enjoyed it even more.

Opposite for me, it was the best movie I'd seen all year when I first saw it (of course, I saw Ep. III in the same day =), on the second viewing it came back down to Earth, but that's okay, it just means I want a third viewing, and that's always a good sign.

Majin Tenshi said:
I kinda like the action sequences.  They were the most feasible of any movie I can remember.

Really, I could weigh in, but I'd need you to describe to me what actually happened.

I could make out a close up of someone's face, some quick cuts of arms flailing, quick cut close up of another face, quick cut to bodies or garbage bags flying, then I think a shot of Batman, he might be choking/punching someone, you can see a close up of a face or maybe a hand, but Batman, or something, is in the way, and then a quick cut zoom in/out of some guys rolling around, someone's yelling and others are grunting, I think they're either fighting with Batman or he's teaching them how to do the Bat Dance. This all happened in about 2 seconds. Aside from that, I thought all the flying around (including in a "tank" no less) and the bats called using his car security clicker were about the most feasible things I can recall ever seeing in my entire life ever. =)

P.S. Did I mention I liked this movie, a lot? ;D

CnC

Ad Oculos
Like I said, I can understand some fast action when it comes to batman quickly dispatching unsuspecting bad guys. But in those sequences where they're setting up the fight, to have a bunch of blurred video leaving the audience on a breif hiadus until the dust clears is just silly.
The Bourne Identity still has the best realistic fighting, IMO.

But that said, theres nothing else I found wrong with this movie.
Great stuff, overall.

That was the only thing I saw wrong with the movie was the action scenes being shaky. But I didnt give a rats ass. Its one of the few movies I have seen that has you so into the characters and story that you dont care about the action , even if it is supposed to be a action movie (as far as why most people see it). I am huge Batman fan and was super pleased with the movie. Also , the next day I picked one of these up at my local comic store:

Top Bottom