When Griffith dreams of a life with Caska...

Opie

The Sex Icon
I never really understood what this whole thing was about. I know it shows us his reluctance to accept his current position and the possability of him not completing his desires but is that it?

Griffith accepts his tranquil life and muses over how its not as bad as he thought but low and behold a Behlite pops up. The symbol of Causality and Fate, the thing that keeps Griffith on his path to the Eclipse. Symbolic?

Any ideas?

Re: When Griffith dreams of a life with Casca...

I think he was just dreaming of what could have been, if he had choosen a different path in life, but the desire to fulfill his dream is strong, depsite what he has to give up, and there was no turning back when he was at that point, and im sure he knew it too, that is why he accepts it and deep down is proabably what he wanted because his dream was to have his own kingdom, be a great ruler and what not.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

The scene doesn't require much explanation. If Griffith had rejected the God Hand's offer, he would have lived a quiet life. But the burden of what could have been would weigh him down for the rest of his life. It's all in here:

From Volume 12, translated by Ranemaka13
:
Slann: [The Hawks will] welcome you warmly, won't they? And you will live, leaving your injured body to them. Return everything from the past. Bury them in the Ruins of your Dream.
Griffith: (...Ruins) (of my dream...?)
Void: That is the punishment dealt by the God created by Man. If you cannot stop thinking of it, if that Castle is the most radiant thing in your eyes, Continue to build, use all you have left.

Void goes onto say my favorite quote of the whole eclipse scene: "Fate transcends human intellect; if that is the nature of truth, then it is inevitable that humans resist fate with evil [alternately translated as: dark magic]"

Yes, in the anime he says something somewhat similar, and Griffith says "there is no repenting for his sins" and that he can not undo what he has already done, or give anything back to the dead, so I can understand why he does what he does... it was the best choice in his mind, and to follow his dream.

Am I the only one who thought it could have ended there? ;D

In the anime, you just cut out the first episode and then it ends by "It was all a dream" hehe ::)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

All he had to do was click his tendon-severed, lifeless heels together three times and say... "i sacrifice... I sacrifice... I sacrifice!" ;)

Goodbye Pippin, I hope you get your brain. Goodbye Judeau, I hope you get your heart. Oh and I'll miss you most of all Guts!!

Top Bottom