An armor fiend!

Hello!

I'm not new to the world of Berserk, but I am new to here! I watched the Berserk anime a couple years back (fansubbed) and got entirely hooked (then subsequently disappointed when I found out that that was ALL there was to the anime series). Later, I found out about the manga... but there wasn't an English translation then. I didn't learn of the English translation until a few days ago (Yay Dark Horse!), and yesterday, I found this place! (By way of www.berserkstatues.com; a most excellent site, I must say!)

I haven't read any of the manga yet, but I will be soon enough. I'm kinda short on cash at the moment, so buying manga is on the lower echelons of priority.

Now, as the subject title suggests, I am an armor fiend. ;D When I saw the Berserk(er)'s armor (and read about it here), I was awed. I've been making armor for the past four years, and the last two of them working for a master armorer (A REAL master armorer, not a self-proclaimed one!). I now want to make armor from the Berserk universe.

A quick question to the rest of you, what is your favorite armor from Berserk?

Welcome to Sk.net!!! ;D

As far as the armor goes, of course I like the Berserker armor, but I also really liked Boscone's. His armor just looked mean and powerful!!!
teu28.gif

Here is a picture of the action figure, unfortuantely which I do not have yet. :'(

Boscone.jpg

1074.gif

- C

hi :)

Im currently helping my mate out at his armoury, hes got alot of personal stuff going on so hasnt got the time to keep up with the orders so i offerd to help for a few months, Ive having ago at the black swordsman left pauldron, so far its in pieces in a draw in the workshop.

on a side note ive shown my mate the manga and he laughed lots at the DS 'You could throw 50 flower pots at his head while he trys to pick that ridiculous sword up'

Anyway whats ya favorite period of armour(english spelling :)) to reproduce, gotta go for 14th century myself although chainmail sucks and i never EVER want to see another ring as long as i live.

I have three favorite armours:

Guts' at the birth feast after Godo modified it. (refer to avatar)

Berserk armour. I actually didn't like this one at first but it started to grow on me.

Griffith's millenium falcon armor. Now, this is a wonder, it's soo cool how it has all of these wings carved in and some other ones sticking out, here he really resembles a hawk.

C: Thanks! I think Boscogne's armor looks kind of comical (as does most of Tudor's [or is it Chudor?] "elite" soldiers' armor). The horns and spikes give me the impression of a prehistoric rhinocerous. It would be fun to make though. Does his armor style change throughout the series?

zooty: That's a similar situation my friend was in before I started helping him out in his armory (it's how I originally got the job). He needed some extra help, and me, being the poor college student, needed the extra cash. I work whenever I can (i.e. set my own hours), and I can make use of anything in the shop. My friend has been making armor for 20+ years though, so his arms are massive. He could quite possibly use the DragonSlayer, although it wouldn't be his preference. He prefers smaller, lighter weapons because he likes the speed they offer.

I'm currently working on a 15th century gothic Italian harness for myself as I am also in the SCA (medieval re-enactment group). It's to replace my current 13th-14th century English harness that I made 4 years ago when I started in the SCA. There is a lot more... style, I guess is the word, in the gothic harness. I'm really enjoying the work.

The Berserk armor would, I think, qualify as gothic. I think it'd be very interesting to make.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Caldus said:

Hey Caldus, welcome. :)

Caldus said:
A quick question to the rest of you, what is your favorite armor from Berserk?

Skull Knight's, of course. I like all of them though, Grunberd's is also a masterpiece, apart from what was already listed.

Caldus said:
Tudor's [or is it Chudor?]

Tudor.

Caldus said:
The horns and spikes give me the impression of a prehistoric rhinocerous.

Well that's what they're supposed to represent, so I guess it's a success.

Boscone is, or was, the commander of the Purple Rhino Knights, which explains the Rhinocerous look of the Armor. His Armor doesn't really change much, until his head lands next to the horses. :)

- C

Aazealh said:
Well that's what they're supposed to represent, so I guess it's a success.
C said:
Boscone is, or was, the commander of the Purple Rhino Knights, which explains the Rhinocerous look of the Armor.
*laughs* I guess it has been a while since I've seen the anime. I'll have to rectify that. :p

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Caldus said:
What armor would you all be most interested in seeing reproduced?

Zondark's. :p

Nah, I guess I'd say either SK's, Guts', Grunberd's, Locus', or Griffith's. But I like them all anyway, even those Locus' lancers wear during their Wyndham onslaught, so...

Aazealh: Do you happen to have a picture of Zondark in his armour? Does he wear different styles of armour? From what I've read in the Berserk Encyclopedia, he was "improved." Does the armour change after the improvement?

Actually, if you made ANY of Griffith's armours, I'd probably buy it so I can cosplay as him ;D. Just a question though, how much would one of these armours cost on average if you were to make them, like Guts' or SK's or Gurunberds' or Griffiths'?

Void Swordsman said:
Actually, if you made ANY of Griffith's armours, I'd probably buy it so I can cosplay as him ;D. Just a question though, how much would one of these armours cost on average if you were to make them, like Guts' or SK's or Gurunberds' or Griffiths'?
Hmmm... Griffith's millenium falcon armour... I'd say at least $20,000. AT LEAST. There is a LOT of work that'll go into that. Any of the Berserk armours will be quite expensive. Some may not be, though. It depends on how much work will need to be done.

Caldus said:
Hmmm... Griffith's millenium falcon armour... I'd say at least $20,000. AT LEAST. There is a LOT of work that'll go into that. Any of the Berserk armours will be quite expensive. Some may not be, though. It depends on how much work will need to be done.

WOW, I guess I'd better start saving those pennies, lol.

Haha! Perhaps. I really want to do Griffith's millenium falcon armour though. There is a LOT of fluting that'd need to be done for it though. That is the main reason it would be worth so much. Materials wise, it probably wouldn't cost me more than $200 to $300 in steel (in this case I'd use stainless), sand paper, polishing rouge, leather, rivets, brass work, etc.. It's just all of the work involved and the hours (possibly hundreds of hours) involved.

First, I'd need something to make a pattern from. I'd REALLY like to get a hold of a good statue of whichever armour I work on. That way I have a 3D model to work from. Otherwise, I'd need pictures. LOTS of pictures. The more, the better. From many angles. Hence why I'd rather have the statue. Everything's already there. ;)

Then I'd need to start somewhere. I'd make a pattern for a certain piece, then make the piece to completion (or near so). I'd then make the pattern for the next piece that fits up to it. I.E.: first the leg armour, then the body armour, then the arms, then the helmet, etc...

Soooo.. I'm just going to be patient until I get all of my ducks lined up in a row.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Caldus said:
I'd need pictures. LOTS of pictures. The more, the better. From many angles.

Well, that's not really hard to find you know. The statues are nice, but you probably won't have access to every single part either. I'd use them more as a support than as the main source for making my armor if I were you.

Top Bottom