Episode 258

I find it kind of weird that they have Princess Charlotte cooking for them. I mean, doesn't Griffith consider her more important than that? Or is it the kind of place where everyone gets fair treatment?

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
I find it kind of weird that they have Princess Charlotte cooking for them. I mean, doesn't Griffith consider her more important than that? Or is it the kind of place where everyone gets fair treatment?

I'd imagine in a time of war when everyone's pretty busy with preparations and such, they need all the help they can get. There wasn't really any indication that she cooks all the time, this seemed more like Charlotte was trying to surprise Griffith with some kind of treat. Maybe she does cook a lot, I don't know.

Probably not worth much as far as new plot twists go, but I thought Irvine's words were very interesting. Particularly:

Irvine: For several days you run through nature and keep chasing prey.
Irvine: You hide alone deep into the forest.
Irvine: Night after night, until you lose any sense of time, and then...
Sonja: and then?
Irvine: ....before you know it, you have become an animal (beast) yourself.

(Thanks to Mizar for the translation)

Sounds a lot like Guts and his Black Swordsman phase, if you change "days" to "years."

Overall, a very good episode (Irvine actually has an identity of some sort finally!).

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Speaking of which, here's some pedestrian speculation, but Hell, it came to mind when I read it; perhaps Irvine will be given the job of hunting down a certain Beast, indeed. ;D

Yeah, sorry, pretty lame, but he seems like he'd have the best chance if push came to shove, seeing as he wouldn't need to get close. Although, if they're all going to come to blows, he's a perfect match for Serpico; arrows, wind, and whatnot (plus they're both skinny guys =). Anyway, thankfully, that concludes my Berserk: King of the Fighters portion of the post.

I wonder if we'll stick with the hawks for awhile up until the attack again, or if we'll jump right back. If it cuts back, it looks to me like maybe Sonja will help Schierke and the group escape from Vritannis before all is said and done (random speculation of the day =).

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Page 04 needs to be coloured so badly... 'love it.

But that was the episode I was longing for. Berserk seems more complete when Griffith shows up and lets us peer into the window of his world. I was especially moved by seeing Griffith being so... well, like his old self. It scares me to think he is being that same old charismatic chap with his playful faces -- but at the same time you can never forget what he has done and who he "is" now. Miura is a genius in his own right.

As for Irvine, I always thought he was the kickass silent type -- so I am by no means disappointed to find out he actually is :p He doesn't really remind me of Judo really, other than he the way he looks... meh, I need to see more of him to get a clearer idea of his identity. He doesn't seem like a Beast -- in Guts' terms at least.

And does anyone want to take a shot at interpreting the last caption?

• 'That night I had a dream
    A dream about a kite and an owl, playing in the moonlit forest.'

I'd love to go into it right now -- but one must depart this computer and go forth into the outside world ;)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hippie said:
Nice episode. Irvine seems to be an interesting character now. Hope they do more with him :)

Well he was an interesting character before... At least to me.

kimchan said:
Probably not worth much as far as new plot twists go, but I thought Irvine's words were very interesting.

Yeah, I'm actually very interested in that specific line:

kimchan said:

Reminds me of an analogy to becoming an apostle, just random speculation though.

"Griffith No More!" said:
perhaps Irvine will be given the job of hunting down a certain Beast, indeed. ;D

I actually often thought about what a Guts/Irvine match would be like, Guts dodging arrows falling down the sky at light-speed, stuff like that. It's true he's the one that would have the biggest advantage over him, armor or not.

Although, if they're all going to come to blows, he's a perfect match for Serpico; arrows, wind, and whatnot (plus they're both skinny guys =).

My thoughts exactly. ;D

I wonder if we'll stick with the hawks for awhile up until the attack again, or if we'll jump right back.

Same here, no way to guess what Miura would choose (well, chose 6 months ago) to do. I'm not sure about Sonja helping Schierke and the others, I feel that the two won't be meeting for a long while, but it's true that it remains a possibility, especially since she didn't say anything specific about her encounter to anybody.

Uriel said:
He doesn't seem like a Beast -- in Guts' terms at least.

Notice how we've never seen his ears though... :-X

Uriel said:

Sonja dreamed of herself and Schierke having a good time together?

Griffith

Uriel said:
And does anyone want to take a shot at interpreting the last caption?

Hot Sonja and Schierke lesbian action! Miura is going to jail.

Seriously, she seems to feel more kinship with Schierke than with Griffith at the moment, so that kinship and her current disenfranchisement with the Hawks is obviously going to come into play down the road. Miura didn't just do this episode so we could see Charlotte cooking hot cakes (though, they were apparently delicious), so I'm looking for something to happen in the near future where Sonja maybe betrays Griffith to help Schierke.

Also, Irvine is quite the charismatic and laconic fellow, I hope we get to see more of him in Vritannis (his last attack didn't go so well, but the quality of opponent must be considered =).

BiQ-- said:
Charlotte seems to be changing somehow. Or maybe it's just me, surprised to see the former princess do things that are normally done by peasant women. Of course, it's the situation they are in right now and there's nothing to be really surprised about but it still makes for a weird (not a bad way) feeling to actually see it.

It's a woman's creativity. Do you remember how many decorative garments she had made?

kimchan said:
Probably not worth much as far as new plot twists go, but I thought Irvine's words were very interesting.  Particularly:

Sounds a lot like Guts and his Black Swordsman phase, if you change "days" to "years."

Overall, a very good episode (Irvine actually has an identity of some sort finally!).

Seems not an apostle to me. Perhaps "hunters" refers to a cult or something, kinda like the bakiraka.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Great episode.  It's delightfully surreal to see Griffith eating a sweet cake, with crumbs on his mouth.  I also openly welcome the sentimentality Miura uses with Irvine's fire-side chat, chaining us further to the Band. Thanks as always to those who found the scans, and to Mizar.

So far, no one's mentioned Griffith in the moonlight at the end of the episode. Is the returning of souls a nightly ritual? Anyway, onto the quotes:

Tell Me Why said:
BiQ-- said:
maybe it's just me, surprised to see the former princess do things that are normally done by peasant women.
If you'll remember, Griffith expressed a pretty regimented hatred for nobles who didn't get their hands dirty.  Charlotte baking in a commoners clothes seems natural to me.

xechnao said:
Seems not an apostle to me. Perhaps "hunters" refers to a cult or something, kinda like the bakiraka.
Or maybe he just meant he's a hunter...

krumm47 said:
Well, now it's confirmed: Griffith's hair is NOT a speech bubble.  ::)

Charlotte: It's like a painting.....
Charlotte: a slice of eternity....
Charlotte: It feels like..... you aren't supposed to touch it.....

;)

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
kimchan said:

Yeah, I personally was thinking of the line "He who fights with monsters might take care, lest he thereby become a monster."
After all, Miura loves Nietzsche. ;)

By the way, I have patched the above translation up a bit to make it flow a bit better:

Irvine: For days you continue to hunt your prey running through the wilderness. You hide alone deep in the forest.

Excellent episode, thanks! 8) Irvine's eyes are kind of freaky, oh well, must hurry to do errands! :(

- C

great episode... its always kinda weird to see some of the higher level apostles in Griffith's army like Irvine or Locus in normal situations just talking. They're quite unlike the more 'classic' apostles who are all obviously crazy in some way (the count chopping people up and eating them, Zodd's prophecying and search for fights, Wyald, etc).

I think I prefer reading about Guts' little party and their going-ons over the neo-hawks though.

out already!?
that was fast, thanks for the scans and translation ^_^

I was wondering when we were going to know something about Irvine, looks pretty interesting :D

and about Griffith.......since he was reincarnated i got the feeling he was so........unreachable, inhuman, but in this episode he even smiles!, i never thought i would see that again, just like his former self

nice ep! =D

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
By the way, who else loved Sonja's expression in the final panel of page 10? I thought that really spoke volumes about her rebellious character and stance towards the relationship between Griffith and Charlotte. ;D

Great episode, thanks for the scans and translations!
I'm really glad that we finally got to see the hawks again, and it's a nice break from Guts and co. Hopefully it won't just be a one off deal, I would like to see more of the hawks before we go back to the mayhem that will be the Kushan invasion!
Too bad we have to wait another month though!

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Maybe the month long delay will mean a really awesomely drawn fight scene for the invasion?  Prolly' just me and my wild speculations, but it would be awesome.

As for this episode, even before reading the translations I like it.  Everything about it has a very homy feel (suitable for the title).  I'm also glad Irvine got some character developement.  I have a feeling he might play a slightly more characterful role than some of the other apostles (other than Zodd).  Gurunberd is too busy being big and proud and Locus seems to be more of a military person than a socializer.  Maybe we'll see a Irvine/Sonja relationship form, not romantic but perhaps like protective father figure and vulnerable daughter?  Of course, this is a lot of speculation for just a few pages of chatting.

Mizar said:
By the way, who else loved Sonja's expression in the final panel of page 10? I thought that really spoke volumes about her rebellious character and stance towards the relationship between Griffith and Charlotte. ;D

Yea, she looked like she wanted to dirty things with that facial expression.

Great episode.  It's delightfully surreal to see Griffith eating a sweet cake, with crumbs on his mouth.  I also openly welcome the sentimentality Miura uses with Irvine's fire-side chat, chaining us further to the Band.

Perhaps Miura wants us to get attached to the Neo Band of the Hawks like we did with the Band of the Hawks.  Letting us see them in a different light so that when they fall we may feel a certain bitterness toward Guts or feel sympathetic to the fallen Apostle.

Page 9, center pannel, Griffith's eyes.  I don't know what it is but that image of Griffith stands out.  His eyes make him seem like he is more than he appears.  The eyes "seem" somewhat similar to Femto's.  I don't know why but that is a real standout for me in the episode.

Griffith

dwarfkicker said:
Perhaps Miura wants us to get attached to the Neo Band of the Hawks like we did with the Band of the Hawks.  Letting us see them in a different light so that when they fall we may feel a certain bitterness toward Guts or feel sympathetic to the fallen Apostle.

I don't think it's such deliberate or clumsy manipulation, just general fleshing out of the characters; more foundation for and threads to tie together for the coming crescendo in Vritannis.

Anyway, does it make you root against Guts? ;D

dwarfkicker said:
Page 9, center pannel, Griffith's eyes.  I don't know what it is but that image of Griffith stands out.  His eyes make him seem like he is more than he appears.  The eyes "seem" somewhat similar to Femto's.  I don't know why but that is a real standout for me in the episode.

It's one of the more down to Earth Griffith shots since the rebirth (eating cake, no less =), somewhat of a throwback, except of course for the eyes, as you pointed out. Though, they've always been like that since the rebirth, and Femto's pupils are white, which his eyes do change to sometimes BTW. So, I don't think it's of any more significance than usual, he always looks otherworldly now; that lighthearted moment just contrasts with the more sinister nature we all know so well it sticks out. Afterall, unlike a lot of the current Hawks, we know the beauty is only skin deep over the beast. :)

Aazealh said:
Well he was an interesting character before... At least to me.

Now they have actually given him more development, which is what I wanted to see him get in the first place. Out of all the neo hawks, to me he had the most potential. I'm just glad to see they are playing it up now.

Thats what I meant by making him "more interesting". They are taking the time to develop him and show us more of him.

Thanks for the scans... Irvine look weird in some way...

Nice character development, next one will be forcus on Rakshas?

Hippie said:
Thats what I meant by making him "more interesting".  They are taking the time to develop him and show us more of him.

Well I think speculation about characters is what makes them interesting and as a character Irvine leaves a lot to speculate about :)

Anyway I guess we should just sit on our behinds for yet another month. I wonder if Miura gets some perverse pleasure out of making his fans wait in anticipation. Can almost see him laughing like an apostle :eek:

And as for dropping story lines and picking other ones .Its seems as if he doesn't want us to forget any character for too long. Apprearance of Azan out of the blue and then disappearing back into the black seems to follow this pretty well.

Smith said:
Thanks for the scans... Irvine look weird in some way...

Nice character development, next one will be forcus on Rakshas?

I hope so, Rakshas seems to be one of the more mysterious characters. He almost seems he can fly, we've never seen his face, and he seems to know a lot about both Griffith and Ganishka.

Top Bottom