PSP Homebrew Scene comes to the US

As of today there is an exploit for all US PSP version 1.50s. Before only japanese 1.0 worked. Last week they released a way to play unsigned code using 2 memory cards, this week they have it down to 1. So I have been playing some TG16 and SNES on the old PSP today =). And what was the first thing I had to do, well make a Berserk wallpaper for my PSP lol.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Thank you. Interesting...now all I have to do, is figure this damn PSP out 8)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds cool, I wonder what Sony will do against the proliferation of homebrew stuff and various hacks on the PSP (nothing? ::)).

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
Sounds cool, I wonder what Sony will do against the proliferation of homebrew stuff and various hacks on the PSP (nothing? ::)).
I can only see this become a problem when the new Nintendo system comes in to play and IF you have to pay for the older games.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I can only see this become a problem when the new Nintendo system comes in to play and IF you have to pay for the older games.

Well I think that regardless, Sony won't like it too much. They've always been crazy about all their proprietary stuff and formats and everything, and changing the background image and emulating MSX games is just the beginning to playing movies (and games) for free without buying UMDs, not using the officially approved Sony tools, etc.

Nintendo often tried to limitate that phenomenon in the past, but invariably failed.

Actually they are already fighting it in Japan. By requiring firmware upgrades on newer games. When you put the game in it wont run unless you update the firmware, which in turn closes the security holes. It sucks for real homebrew people though, having to choose new games or a developement platform, unless you buy 2 psps of course ::)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
grendelrt said:
Actually they are already fighting it in Japan. By requiring firmware upgrades on newer games. When you put the game in it wont run unless you update the firmware, which in turn closes the security holes.

Hahah, see what I told you Saiya? And they're even faster than I thought. ;)

grendelrt said:
It sucks for real homebrew people though, having to choose new games or a developement platform, unless you buy 2 psps of course  ::)

Indeed, only way would be to ask a development kit from Sony, but they're just never going to accept... I know that Nintendo used to give GBA Dev kits to people that could prove they were serious about it and not just fucking around, don't know if they plan to do the same with the NDS or not.

Aw man, this sucks. I have the upgrade (ver. 1.52) so I can't play ROMs on my PSP. Hopefully they'll find out a way to play them on this version.

Tell Me Why said:
Aw man, this sucks. I have the upgrade (ver. 1.52) so I can't play ROMs on my PSP. Hopefully they'll find out a way to play them on this version.
DOH! Thats why when I heard 1.0 could play unsigned, I vowed not to upgrade any firmware XD

Top Bottom