Advice for a beginner...(in learning Japanese)

Thanks Mizar! I may order those as well, because I think that this is probably the sort of undertaking that can only be aided by throwing money at it. I'll probably skip Heisig, and get Nakama and Genki.

Hideo

Its not my fault, its a hardware problem.
Miza, your profile pic is infact quite disturbing, not that i oppose it, (those damn schoolgirls...) But hey, dude, lotsa luck! Im just 14 years old kid from Finland, (witch is probably even harder than japanese.) But i will cut to the chase, i am about to take Jap in "High school" which has allways intrigued me very much.... But as i said before, lotsa luck!

Pardon for the bad typing, it aint really my fault, its a hardware problem.

In my former post, i related to the "hardness" of Finnish language, not the hardness of Finland. IF you want to see just what finnish is like. Here is this same message in Finnish. I hope this isnt just pointless, and unrelated to the original subject...

So Here we go: Edellisessä viestissäni minä viittasin Suomen kielen "vaikeuksiin", enkä Suomen vaikeuksiin. JOS haluatte esimerkin suomen kielen vaikeudesta, tässä on tämä sama viesti suomeksi. Toivon että se ei ole päätön, ja täysin liitteetön alkuperäiseen aiheeseen.

I Think you most live in The US, so (or other parts of Europe, or japan, :D ) But still, this is probably the toughest language on the planet earth, (after some tribe-lingae of africa, and, of  course japanese.) But hey, good night and sleep tight, it is 00:30 at here :)

Hideo

Chinese aint THAT hard, it just seems so, mostly because of the written language. We, in the first hand, have the scands. Meanin ÖÄÅ. These allways cause trouble to the learners of the language. But, hope you are interested. This is very badly offtopic. Btw...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hideo said:
Chinese aint THAT hard, it just seems so, mostly because of the written language. We, in the first hand, have the scands. Meanin ÖÄÅ. These allways cause trouble to the learners of the language. But, hope you are interested. This is very badly offtopic. Btw...

Chinese is harder to learn than Japanese as far as I'm concerned. Korean, too. Nuances when speaking Chinese are very hard to get for foreigners, unlike in Japanese which you said was harder than Finnish, so I'm not really sure about your point here. There's a degree of subjectivity in that kind of debate anyway, it's up to each individual whether they find a language easy to learn or not.

Finnish isn't the easiest language to learn for sure, but it's not incredibly hard either. There's no grammatical gender, no real articles, no passive form (in the common sense of the term), and the prononciation is quite regular (a few diphthongs to learn, nothing big).

Being off-topic isn't much of a problem as long as it's not for long.

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
My avatar disturbing? Are you sure it isn't your own mind that's disturbing? ;)

As for the difficulty of learning a language, like Aazealh said it's subjective and it also depends on what your mother tongue is and how similar it is to the one you're learning. There's no such thing as the most difficult language on earth. A friend of mine is studying Finnish and he doesn't think it's that hard. He's even going to study there next year.

Indeed. I remember when my older brother was studying mandarin Chinese, he said it was very similiar to Japanese so it was kind of easy to pick up. I've learned some Korean words in my Tang Soo Do class, and some of it is familiar, and others are just weird. Korean is sounds sooo familiar, yet is completely alien at the same time.

I'm using "Oxford Starter Japanese dictionary" which is the english-Jap to Jap-English type. This one claims to be $16.00 US but for me it was more like $25 to $30. There were cheaper ones but didn't have a translation from either side which I was also looking for, but it's not overly complicated and pretty good overall for what I need.

I'm learning Japanese in my spare time when I'm in the mood, started about 10 months ago from a CD called "Human Japanese" and picked up basics from countless Anime series in Japanese (another reason to not use english dubs). I haven't learned a huge amount, All of Hiragana with no probs, more than half of Katakana and basic words, rules etc.

I actually have a question to those who might know something about it; I have a software for learning Japanese called "Rosetta stone" or something which is meant to be a fairly professional standard of teaching software but have also heard bad things about it. Anyone know if it's any good to learn from?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
I have a software for learning Japanese called "Rosetta stone" or something which is meant to be a fairly professional standard of teaching software but have also heard bad things about it. Anyone know if it's any good to learn from?

It's expensive, but it's good as far as I know.

Aazealh said:
It's expensive, but it's good as far as I know.

Thats good, a friend of mine has it and offered to lend it to me. All I heard is people will have more success with it if you already know basic Japanese. My current software cost me $10 so it'd have to be better than that.

Hideo

well, my mind really is quite disturbing from time to time, but still...

You are correct. i think that it would be a bit easier for me to learn and use the language of orien countrys, than for a brit. but i depends pretty much of the mind of the person. if you are smart, obviously you will learn the language faster than a dumb person. i should hear your friend talking finnish, but that would be quite difficult, eh? It is tough because in english ä is prenounced ae and so on... so.. but end of off-topic. As i said before, lotsa learning (and luck) in your studies.

I DARE any of you to attempt to understand the Appalachian dialect. Finnish can't touch that.

Anyway, I bought Kodansha's dictionary, so I guess I'll just see how it works out.

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Sparnage said:
I actually have a question to those who might know something about it; I have a software for learning Japanese called "Rosetta stone" or something which is meant to be a fairly professional standard of teaching software but have also heard bad things about it. Anyone know if it's any good to learn from?

No, it sucks imho. Definitely not worth its money (and luckily I didn't have to pay anything for it). The only thing this program does is throw a Japanese sentence (spoken and/or plain text) at you and you simply have to choose the correct accompanying picture with that sentence. That is all this wonderful program is. If you don't know how particles, verb/adjective inflections or compound verbs work well that's too bad, because the program won't explain anything to you. It assumes you will automatically start to understand these things as you go, which you won't. Well, at least I didn't. It did help me increase my vocabulary a bit though, but that's it.

Anyway, if you already have a firm grip on the basics of the language you might give this one a try, but I wouldn't pay a dime for it.

Top Bottom