Griffith and Alexander

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

waqas786uk

This is something that's a question lingering around my mind for some time now and I just had to ask. Does anyone else think that the Macedonian King, Alexander The Great, inspired Griffith? There are some remarkable similarities between the two men. Of course they don't look anything alike (Ive seen a painting of Alexander and read descriptions), but the two men do seem to have similar personalities and goals in life.

One thing that is obvious is that both men had very different backgrounds, Alexander was the son of a king, Phillip II of Macedonia while Griffith came from a poor background as far as we know. Alexander's father was a very successful general and Alexander always wanted to surpass his fathers achievements while Griffith, who must have been well aware of the hardships of a deprived childhood, wanted to chase something better. So despite having different motivations, both men had the same goal.

Alexander, like Griffith, had I dream, which was to conquer the world, and his every waking moment was dedicated to achieving that dream. Like Griffith he was a peerless general, a gentleman with a charming personality and the ability to persuade people to see his way of thinking. Some even said he was a God, and he may have even believed it himself.

Alexander could, just like Griffith, be very ruthless when chasing his dream. After his father King Phillip's untimely assassination, Alexander was quick to dispose of any rival claimants to his fathers empty throne, including his own cousin Amyntas, whose throne Philip had usurped. However, he spared the life of his retarded half-brother, Arridaeus. Later in Alexanders life, the son of one of his most trusted generals became involved in a plot to assassinate him. Although the general had no part in the conspiracy, he was executed along with his son, which did not please Alexander's soldiers. The general's successor insulted Alexander at a party and Alexander killed him on the spot.

Alexander also killed one of his closest friends during a drunken brawl, but once he had realised what he had done he was so upset that he spent the next three days in his room and refused to come out, he may have also tried to kill himself. I think this shows a difference in Griffith and Alexander's personalities; Griffith has always been level headed and is very calm and cold when dealing with his enemies, while Alexander frequently acted on his emotions (though Griffith also did this when Gatts left and of course it landed him in a lot of hot water).

In terms of their sexuality, we all know that Griffith is uninterested in sex unless he can gain something from it. Alexander, however, was probably bisexual, he had to wives but he is also known to have had a few male partners also. For some reason Alexander has a reputation for being a bit of a slut but I'm not quite sure why that is since, based on what I have read on Alexander's life, you'd think that he had handful of partners. At any rate, I don't think that he would have let sex get in the way of his dream. It is also worthy of note that his marriage's were thought to be political only, similar to the situation between Griffith and Charlotte.

I believe that the most remarkable similarity between Alexander and Griffith is that they both had a friend they loved more than anyone else. Just like Griffith had Gatts, Alexander had Hephaestion (pronounced, he-fas-tion, I think). Alexander first met Hephaestion.during his early teens just as Griffith met Gatts in his early years. And after the two became inseparable, just like Griffith and Gatts.

Recently many have said that Griffith and gatts are exactly alike, and I agree with that. While there aren't too many mentions of Hephaestion and Alexander's personal relationship, it is clear that Alexander held him in very high regard, the most notable instance of this was right after Alexander defeated Darius at the Battle of Issus. When Alexander and Hephaestion went to meet Sisygambis (Darius' mother), she prostrated herself at the feet of the most important looking figure in the group. She chose by the mistake the taller Hephaestion. Alexander is said to have responded by saying "Don't worry mother, he is Alexander too". This clearly shows Alexanders' affection and esteem for his life long friend.

For some reason the above quote reminds me of Griffith's last words in the anime (which were obviously about Gatts) "Yes. Of all the thousands of allies, and the ten's of thousands of enemies, there was only one man. You were the only one, who could ever make me forget my dream." I think that the only difference between the two pairings is that Gatts and Griffith's relationship has never been sexual, though that could change. Near the end of Alexander's military campaigns Hephaestion suddenly died of illness. Alexander was heartbroken and not longer after Hephaestion's death Alexander also died, he was only 33.

Wow, what started out as a few random thoughts in my head have just become a mini essay. Well I do prattle on at times. Thanks for reading, bye.

waqas

(modified to remove some weird errors)

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
*grins*

yeah, these similarities has been discussed before, but not in this much detail. *smiles*

damn, there's a load of information I didn't know...

W

waqas786uk

yeah, these similarities has been discussed before, but not in this much detail. *smiles*

Damn it. Everytime I begin a discussion someone else sems to have thought of it first.

Anyway, all the other discussions on griffith/alexander comparisons have been in little detail and never discussed as a single topic so :p.

damn, there's a load of information I didn't know...

Yep, I'm just full of useless information.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think that the only difference between the two pairings is that Gatts and Griffith's relationship has never been sexual, though that could change. Near the end of Alexander's military campaigns Hephaestion suddenly died of illness.
Huh??? Wheres the sexual part...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
>>In terms of their sexuality, we all know that Griffith is uninterested in sex unless he can gain something from it.

Not totally true, remember the "hot water" you mentioned right above that.

>>Huh??? Wheres the sexual part...

Alexander had three wives and a few mistresses, I believe three as well, but Hephaestion is considered by most as Alexanders true "significant other" as it were.

-Griffith

"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
This is something that's a question lingering around my mind for some time now and I just had to ask. Does anyone else think that the Macedonian King, Alexander The Great, inspired Griffith? There are some remarkable similarities between the two men. Of course they don't look anything alike (Ive seen a painting of Alexander and read descriptions), but the two men do seem to have similar personalities and goals in life.

One thing that is obvious is that both men had very different backgrounds, Alexander was the son of a king, Phillip II of Macedonia while Griffith came from a poor background as far as we know. Alexander's father was a very successful general and Alexander always wanted to surpass his fathers achievements while Griffith, who must have been well aware of the hardships of a deprived childhood, wanted to chase something better. So despite having different motivations, both men had the same goal.

Alexander, like Griffith, had I dream, which was to conquer the world, and his every waking moment was dedicated to achieving that dream. Like Griffith he was a peerless general, a gentleman with a charming personality and the ability to persuade people to see his way of thinking. Some even said he was a God, and he may have even believed it himself.

Alexander could, just like Griffith, be very ruthless when chasing his dream. After his father King Phillip's untimely assassination, Alexander was quick to dispose of any rival claimants to his fathers empty throne, including his own cousin Amyntas, whose throne Philip had usurped. However, he spared the life of his retarded half-brother, Arridaeus. Later in Alexanders life, the son of one of his most trusted generals became involved in a plot to assassinate him. Although the general had no part in the conspiracy, he was executed along with his son, which did not please Alexander's soldiers. The general's successor insulted Alexander at a party and Alexander killed him on the spot.

Alexander also killed one of his closest friends during a drunken brawl, but once he had realised what he had done he was so upset that he spent the next three days in his room and refused to come out, he may have also tried to kill himself. I think this shows a difference in Griffith and Alexander's personalities; Griffith has always been level headed and is very calm and cold when dealing with his enemies, while Alexander frequently acted on his emotions (though Griffith also did this when Gatts left and of course it landed him in a lot of hot water).

In terms of their sexuality, we all know that Griffith is uninterested in sex unless he can gain something from it. Alexander, however, was probably bisexual, he had to wives but he is also known to have had a few male partners also. For some reason Alexander has a reputation for being a bit of a slut but I'm not quite sure why that is since, based on what I have read on Alexander's life, you'd think that he had handful of partners. At any rate, I don't think that he would have let sex get in the way of his dream. It is also worthy of note that his marriage's were thought to be political only, similar to the situation between Griffith and Charlotte.

I believe that the most remarkable similarity between Alexander and Griffith is that they both had a friend they loved more than anyone else. Just like Griffith had Gatts, Alexander had Hephaestion (pronounced, he-fas-tion, I think). Alexander first met Hephaestion.during his early teens just as Griffith met Gatts in his early years. And after the two became inseparable, just like Griffith and Gatts.

Recently many have said that Griffith and gatts are exactly alike, and I agree with that. While there aren't too many mentions of Hephaestion and Alexander's personal relationship, it is clear that Alexander held him in very high regard, the most notable instance of this was right after Alexander defeated Darius at the Battle of Issus. When Alexander and Hephaestion went to meet Sisygambis (Darius' mother), she prostrated herself at the feet of the most important looking figure in the group. She chose by the mistake the taller Hephaestion. Alexander is said to have responded by saying "Don't worry mother, he is Alexander too". This clearly shows Alexanders' affection and esteem for his life long friend.

For some reason the above quote reminds me of Griffith's last words in the anime (which were obviously about Gatts) "Yes. Of all the thousands of allies, and the ten's of thousands of enemies, there was only one man. You were the only one, who could ever make me forget my dream." I think that the only difference between the two pairings is that Gatts and Griffith's relationship has never been sexual, though that could change. Near the end of Alexander's military campaigns Hephaestion suddenly died of illness. Alexander was heartbroken and not longer after Hephaestion's death Alexander also died, he was only 33.

Wow, what started out as a few random thoughts in my head have just become a mini essay. Well I do prattle on at times. Thanks for reading, bye.

waqas

(modified to remove some weird errors)

Well said. It can never hurt to have different view points even if the topic is somewhat old. There is nothing incorrect with what you said. It's a valid POV. Walter does bring up the point of the sexual aspect (meaning where is it). The way I see there is some sort of connection- spark between Guts and Griffith. I don't believe there is any kind romantic union. It's very hard to explain. I mean Ghangis Khan had a very close best friend who he was very close to where they slept together...But no evidence of romantic love exist. Nothing beyond the best friend/ brotherly love connection existed for him (FYI he ended up destroying his best friend after a falling out :eek: ). I see the parallels between the Alexander/Griffith story. Again I just don't see Guts/Griffith connection as anything more then just this very powerful bond that could be described as love, just as it could be discribed as an affidation or pact.

W

waqas786uk

Ok let me just clear something up. I dont think that gatts and griffith's relationship is sexual at all, and I dont think it's headed that way.

But that doesnt mean it wont ever happen, I deliberately left the topic open because people have discussed the possibility of it happening and also Miura himself has said that gatts and griffith's relationship will change a lot in the valumes to come. But personally I dont think it'll become anything more than the love you described Kenoh.

waqas

(modified to fix some really crappy spelling)

Kenoh-Sama

Ok let me just clear something up. I dont think that gatts and griffith's relationship is sexual at all, and I dont think it's headed that way.

But that doesnt mean it wont ever happen, I deliberately left the topic open because people have discussed the possibility of it happening and also Miura himself has said that gatts and griffith's relationship will change a lot in the valumes to come. But personally I dont think it'll become anything more than the love you described Kenoh.

waqas

(modified to fix some really crappy spelling)

I know what you mean. I understood the first time. It's just not a very popular (read: uncomfortable) view which is understandable. :-[

The_Stick

"Shoot for the moon. That way, if you miss it
Man, did you like copy some research paper of yours and paste it? Is that all from memory? Damn.......

such...........ability to create report like stuff........i hate you.

j/k.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Why do people always have bring the whole sexuality topic when discussing Griffith and Gatts? I hate to imagine the fact any of them have a passion for one another.. though when Griffith took Gatts in his hands, and said ''You are mine now''... I did think he was going to kiss him :eek:, then I just shrugged it off...

Can't people with dreams be passionate about the people helping them to succeed? I just think Griffith is in love with that vision of his, and takes Gatts with some high regards.. but that's only what I know... I do have a limited knowledge after all :'(

Kenoh-Sama

Man, did you like copy some research paper of yours and paste it? Is that all from memory? Damn.......

such...........ability to create report like stuff........i hate you.  

j/k.  

Yeah from memory. It's amazing what you can pick up watching A&E.

Kenoh-Sama

Why do people always have bring the whole sexuality topic when discussing Griffith and Gatts? I hate to imagine the fact any of them have a passion for one another.. though when Griffith took Gatts in his hands, and said ''You are mine now''... I did think he was going to kiss him :eek:, then I just shrugged it off...

Can't people with dreams be passionate about the people helping them to succeed? I just think Griffith is in love with that vision of his, and takes Gatts with some high regards.. but that's only what I know... I do have a limited knowledge after all  :'(

Well it's not like they didn't have any material to make up that kind of assumption. It's not as simple as that nor is it as complicated as others make it out to be. It's actually quite simple. It's just all a matter of identifying what's in front of you. But that's just me. You look, identify and analyze. But like I said. That's just me.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
:D Re: Griffith and Alexander

Well from what I have seen so far on the Anime, is that relationship in this triangle of Gatts, Caska and Griffith. Is that each one is much different from the other. Griffith is passionate, Gatts is determined and Caska is obiediant. It's all so complicated at the moment.. I am downloading episode 6 as we speak........ As far as observing and analyzing what I have seen so far.. the whole thing is messed up.

Okay it's downloads done ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom