I'm going crazy!!!

Yup for the last two days my computer has been having a whole bunch of freaking pop ups. I've tried using the program "search and destory" but it didn't help finding the spyware. So I need help can anyone recommend me any program to kill off the spyware that is in my computer.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
ZODDGUTSU said:
Yup for the last two days my computer has been having a whole bunch of freaking pop ups. I've tried using the program "search and destory" but it didn't help finding the spyware. So I need help can anyone recommend me any program to kill off the spyware that is in my computer.
If you can find it... SAV 10. that things works WONDERS!

Walter is saying just to reformat your system.Meaning to erase everything on your HDD and start fresh (reinstall windows etc). You could also try Microsofts Anti-Spyware Beta, it is by far the best Spyware program I have used recently. And there is also Ad-Aware. I would go with teh MS program first though.

I would actually say the priority right next to getting rid of it is who gave it to you. That way you know where not to go in the future.

Spybot - Search & Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

I use both of these. Sometimes one will catch what the other misses. Ad-Aware is a very solid program.

Also, be sure to update your service packs/critical updates/security/etc for your operating system. The updates will help protect your computer. You should do it at least once a month to keep on top of things.

Caldus said:
Spybot - Search & Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

I use both of these. Sometimes one will catch what the other misses. Ad-Aware is a very solid program.

Also, be sure to update your service packs/critical updates/security/etc for your operating system. The updates will help protect your computer. You should do it at least once a month to keep on top of things.

Yeah I dowload ad-adware so far it's pretty much working but there's few pop ups here and there but nowhere near as many I was getting in the last few days.

About the reformat thing. Yeah I though about that but damn I got some stuff on my harddrive I'm around 75% Downloading Full Metal Alchemist entire 52 eps series and some other anime that I've haven't watched I'll take me weeks to re-download those stuff.

I have another harddrive it's 120 GB but haven't used it because I don't have the case to hold it I'll buy one in a week or so okay is it possible to transfer certain stuff from my current harddrive to my 120 GB like Full Metal Alchemist and other stuff. Then I'll delete my current harddrive so it's that possible to do? ???

What kind of system are you currently running?

Oh, and there's only 51 episodes in Full Metal Alchemist. I have them all stored on my computer as well. ;)

Caldus said:
What kind of system are you currently running?

Oh, and there's only 51 episodes in Full Metal Alchemist. I have them all stored on my computer as well. ;)

System? Well um my computer is a Dell 3.0 GHZ, Windows XP.

ZODDGUTSU said:
System? Well um my computer is a Dell 3.0 GHZ, Windows XP.
Er.. you'll have to be a bit more detailed. How many drives? Optical (DVD, CD, etc)? Floppy (standard is 3.5 now)? Any others? How many current hard drives? What size is the current case? Is your OS the Home edition or the Professional edition? What cards do you have in there (i.e. graphics, sound, LAN, etc)?

For example, this is my computer (it's going on 5 years old now):

I have a 1 Ghz Pentium III, a DVD-rom drive, a CD-+RW drive, a floppy drive, two hard drives (one is a 5400 rpm 30 gig, the other is a 7200 rpm 80 gig), a 32-MB ATI graphics card, 256 MB of RAM, and a generic networking (LAN) card. It's currently running Windows XP Professional (the third OS I've installed in it since I first got the computer). It's old, slow, BUT solid for the most part. I'm currently saving up for a nice laptop. I've been drooling all over my dad's new Sony VAIO laptop every time I visit. Very nice.

ZODDGUTSU said:
Yeah I dowload ad-adware so far it's pretty much working but there's few pop ups here and there but nowhere near as many I was getting in the last few days.
You need to get the second service pack for Windows XP. It will help... unless you use a different web browser than Explorer?

Well I have 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4 HT, DVD burner R-+ RW-+, a floppy drive, one harddrive 7200 rpm (for right now), don't know what graphic card the PC has, 512 RAM, generic networking card. I think I have also have Windows XP Professional.

You need to get the second service pack for Windows XP. It will help... unless you use a different web browser than Explorer?

I use Explorer and what's this about a second service pack?

1. Download the latest windows updates

2. search google for Panda Active scan its a free web based antivirus which will give you a report of all its findings at the end (and remove part of the crap you got in your system) you can write down what wasn't removed and google it for fixes

3. Afterwards go to control panel and search add and remove programs for things you have not installed or crappy toolbars

4. google the program names and verify if people complain that they are any kind of malicious program

5. print out how to remove them and start removing it (most of this fixes require that you do changes in your registry so as long as you don't wonder off and start changing things in it you are fine other than the ones you are required you are fine)

6. When you finish removing all the toolbars and crap you might have go to start>run>type cmd hit enter> on the Dos shell (black screen) write chkdsk /f then type yes. Next time you start up your computer will do a checkdisk and fix some problems who might be making your computer slow

7. If all else fails back up your important data and go look for the cds who came with your computer, they might have some kind of reinstall disk or a windows cd follow the instructions and re install your operating system (if it is a windows disk I recommend you either check your other disks for drivers or start looking for the device drivers of all the stuff in your computer speciallythe ethernet adapter/wireless nic/modem drivers which you will need if you want to surf the web and re install stuff.

Edit: just read you have a dell, The dell computers I have had to dealt with had a driver cd which had all the drivers of the devices that came with the computer, if you bought or installed anything else to it I suggest getting the drivers for it.

Hope this helps.

-Elektro

ZODDGuts said:
Well I have 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4 HT, DVD burner R-+ RW-+, a floppy drive, one harddrive 7200 rpm (for right now), don't know what graphic card the PC has, 512 RAM, generic networking card. I think I have also have Windows XP Professional.

I use Explorer and what's this about a second service pack?
Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Let them scan your computer and it'll tell you what updates you need. It's my opinion that you should download them all; or if you want, you can go through them and pick out the ones that you don't want. I do that; some of the updates I don't need because I do not have that hardware/software installed. Service Pack 2 is HIGHLY recommended. The updates close holes in the OS where worms, trojans, viruses, etc.. get in. They also improve the processing ability of the OS. If you have any other microsoft products, you should go in and make sure you have the latest updates. It's all for security and performance of your PC.

As for adding your hard drive, you should have an extra slot inside your case where it can go. Just set your new hard drive to SLAVE and plug it into the IDE SLAVE port. It'll be the same IDE ribbon cable that is connected to your current hard drive. One plug (the extreme end of it) is for the master drive, the other plug (as there are two per IDE ribbon cable) is for the slave. Usually they are labled unless they are aftermarket. Once it's plugged in so, the OS will take it from there and automatically load it right up. It's pretty much plug-n-play (although don't do it with the power on; better yet, unplug the PC when you do this).

That is... unless you are working with a mini-tower. Those have a different set up. I'm assuming that this is the standard tower size (usually a mid-sized tower, sometimes a bit smaller) that you get from most store bought personal PCs?

I use the same two anti spy ware programs as Caldus, and they work very well, also for internet browser, I recommend using Fire Fox, its great, I get no pop ups what so ever, except once in a while. Also you might try defragmenting and clearing out your temporay internet files... Thats what I do, and it keeps my computer in top shape..

Defrag only improves processing speed. It takes relevent files and places them "closer" in relation to each other and removes the large spaces between files. It makes it easier for the computer to find what it's looking for. Clearing your temporary internet files does the same, although it makes load times for certain websites a mite longer because your computer no longer has bits of the websites stored on it. That's what cookies and such do. It does free up space and clears up some RAM, though.

As for pop-ups, the windows updates also include a very good pop-up blocker for MS Explorer. I get practically no pop-ups.

I also have fire fox I used it just for today but I still get the same pop up problem that I have. :-\

But anyways just gotta say thanks at least I'm not getting multiple pop ups like I had a few days before now it's pretty tame. I'm taking my computer to my uncle who's a computer something forgot the technical term well he should be able to find the spyware/adware in my computer.

Plus I'm going to use his pool. ;D 8)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ZODDGuts said:
I also have fire fox I used it just for today but I still get the same pop up problem that I have. :-\

It's because you've got some software on your computer that launches them automatically. If I were you, I'd just launch the Task Manager and check the processes out at start-up. Then you kill everything you can (and note their names), until only 20 or less are left and the system won't let you shut them down. The ones that looked suspicious, you search for them on your drive, and delete.

If you want to avoid that kind of problem in the future, I'd advise you to use IE as less as you can. Firefox or Opera for example are much more secured and won't allow rogue ActiveX to install all kind of shit on your system. Same thing for cookies, you don't need to accept them all. A forum cookie is legit, but "ad.htpch.1animesrv.com" doesn't need to put 6 cookies on your computer. Filtering them can't be bad.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
No kidding, reformat. Even the most elusive spyware can't evade the giant hammer of the reformat. After you reformat, grab all necessary windows updates ASAP, then get yourself Zone Alarm or whatever you think is safe enough to hide behind and POOF, you're safe (for the next month or so). I reformat ~once every 6 months, and I've never had excessive spyware.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Also one more suggestion. When you get your computer the way you want it, try to get a copy of Norton Ghost. This will make it so you can make a "copy" of your current set up. So if it does mess up, you can just load up the image with your ghost boot up disks.

;D

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
ZODDGUTSU said:
If the problem keep up assuming my uncle won't fix it then I'll just reformat it.  :-\
Yeah I used to have alot of spyware problems and I went through using all of the spyware moderators and all of that, but in the end I had to reformat, I did save all my old documents of course. Nothing can beat reformatting, it's the best medicine for a computer, it works better than kicking it ::)

Hideo

Its not my fault, its a hardware problem.
If verything from above fails, go to the Command Prompt. 'Type /:C Format. this will delete all your computers files, and you will have a clean start.

-When democracy fails, you can count on Stalin.

Top Bottom