Imitation of Berserk

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some shots of the Dragon Slayer in the game Power Stone 2 on Dreamcast, by Capcom. Thanks JIN for the pictures.

PowerStone2-DS01.jpg

PowerStone2-DS02.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Void Swordsman said:
WOW, that is the biggest rip-off of the DS I've seen. lol, it's like they copied and pasted that from the manga!

Well, since we're at it, I might as well talk about a couple of other DS look-alike... There's a well-known one in Phantasy Star Online for example:

Wereallmad said:
the original PSO had the dragonsayer. It also had an option to create a 1 eyed hero with spiky hair.

Here's a picture:

DS-PSO.jpg

Then you have Lineage 2:

DS-L2.jpg

It also has a sword called the "Dragon Slayer", which is a big 2-hander, but it's not this one, though they're close. Apart from that, the game had a NPC called "Master Guts" on the human island during the Korean beta of the game, he was the chief trainer for beginners.

L2-Guts.jpg

There was also a "Guard Pippin" character in a town, but I couldn't find my screenshots of him. That's still too many references to be a coincidence.

Here's another one, a sword from EverQuest that has a DS-ish look to it. I'm not affirming that it was inspired by the DS, but there's a resemblance, and that's actually as close as anything could get to the DS at the time anyway, the graphic engine being severely limited (it's also looking short because my character was small himself as a Dark Elf, and the weapons were proportional). It's a two-handed sword, and you get it off some monster that used to be an enemy of dragons. It's pretty random trivia, but these details always struck me as familiar.

DS-EQ.jpg

Finally, you can also check this thread out to see a Beast-like monster from Ragnarok Online called a "matyr".

lost to me

Its easier to just swing my sword..............
i kill. what's wrong with this world, and the stealin of other peoples ideas? and worse yet is somehow gets more time in the public eye?!?!?! NOT RIGHT!

CullKnight

My Berserk pudding tastes funny
This isn't really a ripoff but a homage maybe? I dont know tell me what yall think. My friend and i were playing Streets of Rage 2 on the Genesis and there were 3 "homages" we think. There is a female enemy that you fight named CASKA and male flying jetpack enemy called GRIPHIS. Those alone are just a coincidnce but the sincher was the alien boss named VEHELIT. So i dont know, i know obviously its not a ripoff, there were no Dragonslayer clones or one eyed berserkers but interesting nonetheless

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CullKnight said:
My friend and i were playing Streets of Rage 2 on the Genesis and there were 3 "homages" we think.

It's interesting, I didn't remember that some characters were named like that in Streets of Rage 2. Seems like some sort of homage yeah, or just maybe some inspiration to take names because they couldn't think of anything else. :guts: If that's the case the guys must have been early fans, since the game was released in late 92, before volume 5 even came out in tankōbon form.

All_4_Yume

Yume Chaser
CullKnight said:
This isn't really a ripoff but a homage maybe? I dont know tell me what yall think. My friend and i were playing Streets of Rage 2 on the Genesis and there were 3 "homages" we think. There is a female enemy that you fight named Casca and  male flying jetpack enemy called GRIPHIS. Those alone are just a coincidnce but the sincher was the alien boss named VEHELIT. So i dont know, i know obviously its not a ripoff, there were no Dragonslayer clones or one eyed berserkers but interesting nonetheless

Damn! Now I'm going to have to break out the Genesis.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Sorry to bump the thread, but I figure the list bears expanding. There's a weapon in Drakengard (Drag-on Dragoon for those in Japan) called Hymir's Finger. It's a huge sword which looks very similar to the DS. I couldn't find a pic though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
There's a weapon in Drakengard (Drag-on Dragoon for those in Japan) called Hymir's Finger. It's a huge sword which looks very similar to the DS. I couldn't find a pic though.

I think we can see it in this picture, I didn't play the game though:

DS-hymir.jpg

Bad quality but there's nothing else.

Vendrac

Forever a Warrior
Anyone here familiar with World of Warcraft probably already knows about this but here's one of the top end weapons from the PvP Honor rewards.
http://wow.allakhazam.com/images/fashion/WoWScrnShot_080905_160732.jpg
Fancier and moddified a bit but someone on the art team is definitely a Berserk fan. ;)

Yoshinori Kitase, the director of FFVII, apparently admitted in a Famitsu interview that he is rather fond of Berserk, so it makes sense that Cloud's sword would resemble the Dragonslayer.  It also explains the similarities Tristram listed between FFVII and Berserk in his earlier post.  Although, I don't think I would go as far as to say what this guy did on his review of FFVII:
http://www.largeprimenumbers.com/article.php?sid=ffvii
Final Fantasy VII's story, I spoil for you now, is Berserk's story, with some ingenious Sherlock Holmes mystery thrown in. In Berserk, Guts and Griffith become good friends and allies; they eventually fight, and (to put it into the simplest, most abstract) terms, Griffith loses (without being hit), which only scars him emotionally and pushes him to do a Drastic Deed which will bring about something roughly as nasty as the Meteor hanging over the sky of Final Fantasy VII. The characters are similar, the girls are similar, and the Major Plot Events are all parallel. The only catch is, well -- Berserk is still going on today.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nakochan said:
Yoshinori Kitase, the director of FFVII, apparently admitted in a Famitsu interview that he is rather fond of Berserk, so it makes sense that Cloud's sword would resemble the Dragonslayer.

Yep, it's been said over here a few years ago, nothing really new.

Nakochan said:
Although, I don't think I would go as far as to say what this guy did on his review of FFVII

Yeah, that guy's obviously exaggerating, he doesn't know what he's saying.

The Dragonslayer isn't exactly the most original sword concept ever, more like a bigger version of the stereotypical big fantasy sword

I just mean that every sword with a big blade isn't necessarily a intended imitation of DS

If someone has the images from the first post saved could you upload them because they're not working anymore

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
hatu said:
I just mean that every sword with a big blade isn't necessarily a intended imitation of DS

Nobody said it was the case, that's why your post is out of place.

hatu said:
If someone has the images from the first post saved could you upload them because they're not working anymore

I have them, however I don't feel like uploading them for you right now... I'll edit this post if that were to change.

Meathook

The World Eaters are here to save us!
I know in the new castlevania game there is a sword that you can make that is called the dragonkiller. Huge sword super wide. Text is : this massive sword is rumored to be able to kill a dragon in one hit. Or something very close to this, I'll have to get my roommate to look it up for me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Meathook said:
I know in the new castlevania game there is a sword that you can make that is called the dragonkiller.

How about you read the whole thread before posting next time?

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=4849.msg88009#msg88009

Meathook said:
Text is : this massive sword is rumored to be able to kill a dragon in one hit. Or something very close to this

It's "famous sword of the dragon slayers". I always wanted to know what the original Japanese line is, it can probably be interpreted and translated differently (more in relation to Berserk) if you know what the reference is.

Meathook

The World Eaters are here to save us!
I Know this has been along time since my last post but actually i was talking about the one on the PS2, wasn't the one quoted earlier from the DS? I know i didn't put it in the post at the time, cuz i couldn't remember the name.

Top Bottom