The official Berserk anime series DVD set?

Klayhamn

I'm a llama!
Ok, maybe you guys could help me sort out this little confusion i'm having about the Berserk DVD.

Here in Israel, we have the U.S DVD edition available (imported directly from there) in 6 volumes of about 4 episodes each.

Now, i've already seen stuff like amateurly (and basically illegally made) "VCD" sets of anime series and so on (of inuyasha for example) But on e-bay i see many people selling something called the: "BERSERK 3 DVD SET"

it comes in what seems to be a totally legit 3 DVD box
(it unfolds that way) and it seems to be made with a very high quality printed case --- quite impossible to be "Faked" . i even think it contains some "exclusive" berserk art that doesn't appear elsewhere.

on the front of the cover you can see both of Guts and Griffith's faces - some fire with the Behelit of the King , a glimpse of Casca and the band of the hawk....

i don't know what is the official price of this set but it is sold for around 25$ (!) in E-Bay, while EACH of the "volumes" of the 6-volume set cost about the same.

(so in conclusion, a 84% discount)

Anyone knows anything about this, whether it's legit, whether it's really high quality DVD (or if it's the same quality as the 6 volume set) or....... whatever?

Thanks in advance

Re:the official DVD?

the U.S. (or the 6 discs, should i say) version would be the [most] legit version. 3 discs = nearly 8 eps each? thats madness.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

Those are the same DVD's that you can get at various anime sites like Discountanimedvd.com and animeniacs.com ... I am pretty sure that is what you are refering to. They are HK versions (Hong Kong). They have pretty good subtitles, not a whole lot of engrish or anything like that. That's what I have! :D

Klayhamn

I'm a llama!

i don't think it is madness.
Frankly -- there are few types of DVDs , and i was surprised to hear that the U.S edition comes in 6 volumes.

This is because normally 90 minute anime movies take 6 Gigs,
and if 25 episodes of 20 minutes is 500 minutes, we'd need 33 Gigs for that (talking very "Roughly" and estimating, of coursE)

now, the largest capacitiy a DVD can hold today is 17 Gig...
2 DVDs of 17Gig are already 34 Gig which is more than we "need".

My personal feeling is that the U.S resellers (or perhaps even the japanese producers of the anime) chose to "steal" some money in a very legit form by splitting the anime to several "parts".

the simplest proof for that:
WAR CRY (i.e volume #1) is 5 epsidoes.
the rest are 4 each.

This is proof that the same quality can be maintained even with FIVE episodes per DVD, yet they "took away" one episode from each volume in order to create a SIXTH volume to increase profit.

i think this cuts the butter, or whatever the english phrase for something that has just been proven beyond doubt is.

they could have made 5 volumes of 5 episodese each, they made 6 volumes.
$$$$$$$$$$$ comes to mind.

Now, that i've shown that $$$ is their interest and it isn't "technological boundaries" that are limiting them ---

do any of you think this 3 DVD edition is legit / high quality?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3335427382&category=41524

just an example...
(answer quickly please because if you say that it's legit i'm buying this one ^_^ )

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...

IM from Klayhamn :
hi - sorry this is kind of urgent so i'll talk straight to the point:

there is the U.S edition of the BERSERK ANIME (with dub/sub) that comes in 6 volumes (which is a rip off, IMO)
each volume is sold for about $20~30 in average.

Also, there is the HONG KONG edition of a 3 DVD box set which includes the entire series (ep 1-25) and costs roughly $20~25 in ebay.

What i'm asking you is - do you know anything about the hong kong edition (is it legal/legit, is it original, is it the same quality as the 6 volume U.S set, is it any good in general)?

please respond ASAP as the bids are about to close

1. I don't believe they're legit, but If they aren't theres nothing that can be done about them.
2. At the higher compression rate, video quality couldn't be as high.
3. no dub.
4. I've heard bad things about the subs.
5. no extras

http://www.animeniacs.com/

BERSERK

PDVD_000.jpg

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost

There are two sets I've seen. The one with 3 discs and only English subtitles, no dubbing, I bought those on ebay from Hong Kong.

Then I also have the six DVD set volumes, each in seperate cases and comes with a collector's box that is the US version...this is much easier to deal with since there's 4 episodes on each one. And there' s English dubbing. I don't really like the way the dubbing sounds but hey, it's a lot easier to listen to it than it is to watch the subtitles go flying by.

LG

So there apparently seems to be two sets.

ZKK

Sentient Entropy.

Ok, I'm no expert on this so bear with me, and feel free to correct me... I've just leeched this from what I've heard around the place and on websites.

I was under the impression that there are at the very least three versions of Berserk floating around in the form of HK DVD's, and in addition to that there are the official American region one release, the Japanese region two release and the Australian region four release.

Now then, the versions:

HK version one & two:

hk1a.jpg
hk1b.jpg

Available in both a three disk set and a five disk set, made unofficially by companies like MAC, and Anime Studio (whose name I think changes on a pretty regular basis - so could be know by other names). Source for the video is supposedly the Japanese Laser Disks... not exactly the highest quality. Supposedly - again - with removable English and Chinese subtitles, and very limited extras and menu features.

HK version three:

hk2a.jpg
hk2b.jpg

A three disk set made by FX. Differs from other HK releases as it seems to used the American region one release for its source - ripping a lot of the extras as well as the menu's with it it would seem, while compressing it all down to three disks. It also has the option of an English or Japanese audio track, with English subtitles... still, with the compression from six disks to three, plus including extras I'd imagine it would have to loose a bit of its quality.

American region one version:

usa.jpg

Everyone knows this one well enough, right? Probably better than me... officially licensed by Media-Blasters, a six disk set, first disk containing five episodes, subsequent disks containing four episodes. Misses out on some of the extras on the Japanese version such as music videos, but has additional interviews and dubbing outtakes.

Japanese region two version:

j1.gif
j2.gif

Originally released as an official limited edition box set containing seven DVD's. Little computer generated extra's and intro's feature as "Easter Eggs" on the region one release. Was out of print for awhile, but has recently become available again as they are re-printing or re-releasing each disk individually - but without the nice limited edition keep-case. Supposedly meant to be the best transfer... I don't know. Japanese audio only... no subtitles I think. Plus, close to US$40 a disk!!!

Australian region four version:

* See USA version - identical, minus box.

Licensed officially off Media-Blasters by a company called MadMan here in Australia for the sake of having a local region four release. MadMan used the exact same transfer as the source, and provide exactly the same content as Media-Blasters’ region one version - Media-Blasters provided it after all. Madman only handles the DVD authoring, to allow the disk to be formatted as region four, as well as converting it from NTSC to PAL... but the conversion from NTSC to PAL can have a few problems... NTSC and PAL both have their advantages and disadvantages. Additionally they made their own menu's which I find much more professional and aesthetically pleasing than Media-Blasters'.

Excessive, no? Sorry for the rant, but its a bit of a rarity that I get a chance to post here so I thought I'd try to make the most of it. Plus, its the result of having too much free time to kill... ;D

BoogiepopLain

I'm a llama!
Re:General DVD Berserk information/discussion

Remember, when you buy the legit R1 releases from Media Blasters, you are supporting the possibility of a Berserk season 2.

Media Blasters want to front the money for the production os season 2, but the Japanese studio is slow moving in this regard. The more dvds they sell, the more money they make, and the more money they can offer the Japanese companies.

And I KNOW i want me some Berserk season 2 action.

Majin_Tenshi

BoogiepopLain said:
Remember, when you buy the legit R1 releases from Media Blasters, you are supporting the possibility of a Berserk season 2.

Media Blasters want to front the money for the production os season 2, but the Japanese studio is slow moving in this regard. The more dvds they sell, the more money they make, and the more money they can offer the Japanese companies.

And I KNOW i want me some Berserk season 2 action.
I want to see confirmation from a reliable news site.

BoogiepopLain

I'm a llama!

Media Blasters has been saying at EVERY con since Berserk came out that they want to do a second season of Berserk and help fund it.

If anyone else was at Otakon 2k3 and the Media Blasters panel, they can confirm it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

BoogiepopLain said:
Media Blasters has been saying at EVERY con since Berserk came out that they want to do a second season of Berserk and help fund it.

If anyone else was at Otakon 2k3 and the Media Blasters panel, they can confirm it.
Oh, I can confirm it. It, being that a second season isn't even close to officially being produced.

BoogiepopLain

I'm a llama!

And I never said it was.

All i said was buying the official dvds helps the possibility of a second season while buying bootlegs doesn't.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

BoogiepopLain said:
And I never said it was.

All i said was buying the official dvds helps the possibility of a second season while buying bootlegs doesn't.
No, what you said was: OMG SEZZON 2?!

Media Blasters plans on releasing Berserk in a complete collection set. Basically, it's all six discs in one package (a multi-keepcase set)for a hundred bucks. While it's cheaper, you don't get the nifty box that came out in 2002.

SEP033768.jpg

Also, wondering why it says SEASON ONE on the cover.

MORE FUEL 2 DA FYRE

EDIT: And no, I'm not expecting a season two, plus I know all too well about Media Blasters and their mistakes with spelling and such (GODS HAND on the mock up for vol. 6, for instance), but still, why write SEASON ONE on it? They could have simply have written TV SERIES COMPLETE COLLECTION on it.

Majin_Tenshi

thedigitalsin said:
Also, wondering why it says SEASON ONE on the cover.

Well, either their arrogant fools, or they're being careless with info on Miura's summer project. However, since I remember Miura sayin in an interview that he wouldn't be involved as much if they made more anime, I doubt that 2nd season would make him "really busy."

BoogiepopLain

I'm a llama!

No, what you said was: OMG SEZZON 2?!

I don't know why you've moved to personal attacks on me. My posts were nice, non confrontational, and NEVER said anything like "OMG SEAZON 2 OUT IN 2 DAYS MY UNCLES COUSINS BROTHERS JAPANESE ROOMATE TOLD HIM." Or something else stupid like that.

Why support bootlegs when you can buy high quality DVDs? And why NOT support the POSSIBILITY (in caps cause I want it to not be misread) of a season 2?

Animegirl^_^

have a wonderfull day

i understood that what boogiebop is saying the money given to media blasters will also be given to the company they bought it from, which nowa days in american movie markets, the more money you make the more they will sqeeze out of the licenses! so in terms if berserk dose a good job here it could have a better chance of a 2'nd season. but i ain't holding my breath cause i whould be long out of air before a 2'nd season get's to the production room!
so he's just saying it's a hope, and if theres away to help then do it!

Majin_Tenshi

Animegirl said:
i understood that what boogiebop is saying the money given to media blasters will also be given to the company they bought it from, which nowa days in american movie markets, the more money you make the more they will sqeeze out of the licenses! so in terms if berserk dose a good job here it could have a better chance of a 2'nd season. but i ain't holding my breath cause i whould be long out of air before a 2'nd season get's to the production room!
so he's just saying it's a hope, and if theres away to help then do it!
Only problem with this is that Japanese producers view selling licenses as the last way to squeeze a few more bucks out of a title. They don't really care what happens, most of the time, when it gets to america. Everything there(here) is secondary.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

BoogiepopLain said:
I don't know why you've moved to personal attacks on me. My posts were nice, non confrontational, and NEVER said anything like "OMG SEAZON 2 OUT IN 2 DAYS MY UNCLES COUSINS BROTHERS JAPANESE ROOMATE TOLD HIM." Or something else stupid like that.
It's not a personal attack if you consider that you're just one of 1000 or so on this site that have been spouted the same information for over 2 years. I'm just attacking people that have faith in an American Company giving funding to a Japanese company.

If I wanted to attack you personally, it would involve making fun of your huge sig.

Walter said:
I'm just attacking people that have faith in an American Company giving funding to a Japanese company.

But...it's happened before. ADV gave up money for Rurouni Kenshin: Seisouhen and the upcoming Bubblegum Crisis 2041 series. Urban Vision put up the money for the new Ninja Scroll TV series, and Cartoon Network/Bandai US for Big O season 2 and the new SD Gundam coming out this fall. Hell, Media Blasters has even funded shows (Mezzo Forte).

American companies now, more than ever, are helping fund shows. As for the possibility of a Berserk season 2, it could happen, but there's nothing concrete - the only real "evidence" is that image above, and even then that could just be a screw up on Media Blasters' art department.

M

medievald00d

Theres not a large enough fanbase for that. There would be if Berserk were aired on CN, but then i'd have to kill myself...

As I was saying, A second season of Berserk would'nt be very profitable. While there IS a loyal fanbase, its just not large enough. Also, a second season couldnt air on TV. That makes it even less possible for a second season. And, as Tenshi pointed out, Muira probably wouldnt be involved in a second season. Therefore, its probably not happening.

BoogiepopLain

I'm a llama!

A second season of Berserk would'nt be very profitable. While there IS a loyal fanbase, its just not large enough.

Seems pretty darn popular in Japan. Hell, the Japanese box set was, what, 500 bucks and it sold out almost instantly?

But, anyways, I'm gonna just drop the subject. I just wanna talk about Berserk and not have to fight about it....

Animegirl^_^

have a wonderfull day

Majin Tenshi said:
Only problem with this is that Japanese producers view selling licenses as the last way to squeeze a few more bucks out of a title. They don't really care what happens, most of the time, when it gets to america. Everything there(here) is secondary.
that is true, but it dosen't hurt to dream about anothere season of berserk(just hope it whould follow more the manga, it did pretty good but not like the manga) and if thinking spending money on the offical release whould help, it don't hurt anyone.

oh yeah that box image (first season) is probley one of 2 things besides a mistake
1. it's a marketing move to get people to buy it for hope of a second season!
and 2. it's just a move of hope, so incase a 2'nd season is made they alreddy have a box that says the diffrence between the seasons!

GoHF

I'm a llama!

Everyone was saying that the US Berserk boxset was going to take a long time to come out, seen that kenshin, a series that had been released before berserk, still hadn't been released in boxsets. Well, in november, Berserk's boxset by anime-works is coming out... and I had just bought the Box of War :'( I hate you Anime-Works. I really do.

;D 83.59 euros in archonia, pre-order.

Top Bottom