Is there "heaven" in the Berserk world?

This is going to my first long post so...
Aazealh said:
We know there is a hell (it's the Vortex of souls, were Vargas, the Count and Wyald went), and we know that Branded people go there. Actually, from my previous post, Griffith states that everybody goes there...

Well this post mearly says that everyone dies, goes to the same plece, and are mearly pawns for the use of Ideal. I would like to know if that is what you ment by that.

C said:
but do we really know if guts is bound for hell? ???

i mean of we dont really know there is a hell, or heaven,

who is to say that guts definitley will go to hell?

and if i missed something and it is true he will go to hell, what is the point in the story? ???

wow, after all these years of struggle and heartache, even if he kills griffith, he burns in hell :(,

that would kinda ruin the ending for me >:(,

just my opinion though  :)

- c

I SERIOUSLY doubt that that the Christian idea of hell applies to the Vortex.

MaN said:
In any case its a tough choice for Guts (and Caska). Either try to stay alive and face hell from apostles and such or give in and be trapped in hell or vortex or whatever it is supposed to be for eternity.

Wow someone that makes me feel like this forum is getting alot of new member who have never read the manga...

C said:
is this what yall are talkin about?

Berserk3-122.jpg

isnt femto saying there is a hell?

and maybe many because he says small hell,

or is it a bad translation  ???

- c

As for being a bad translation it was done by the hawks ( i am assuming) so i need not say more

NeoBerserker said:
well we know there is a "hell", we know there is "limbo", and we know there is something else besides those two. We obviously know there is a "hell" because we saw the count go in it. There has to be a "limbo" because Guts fights them all the time. And there has to be something else besides "hell" and "limbo" because Flora is there, and that seem to be the closest thing to heaven if it's not "heaven" itself

Hell... yet another Hawk translation?  Well as for Limbo that is an idea a bunch of Catholics thought up to make their kids mind, and is mentioned nowhere in the bible (which i don't want to talk about)

Well I guess I have said my idea here, so i will leave the rest of this to you guys and gals.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
*wanders in and skims 1% of the thread*
Dark Horse translates that as "though it is only a portion"
"it is still hell"
or something like that... too lazy to grab my copy again to get it right word for word
*wanders off, haveing accomplished nothing*

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
chibipakk said:
Well this post mearly says that everyone dies, goes to the same plece, and are mearly pawns for the use of Ideal. I would like to know if that is what you ment by that.

You could have read the posts before that one if you wanted to know what I meant...

People go to the Vortex of Souls, people like the Count or Wyald, but also Vargas or the branded ones. Femto states that it's hell. Griffith later tells Mule after being incarnated that the souls of his dead soldiers are going to a place where they'll become one, and that it happens to everyone. It's not that hard to conclude that everyone goes to "hell" aka the Vortex, thus inferring that there's no heaven.

Now as I already said multiple times, there seems to be some exceptions, like Flora, so let's just stop repeating the same things, at least until Miura provides us new elements.

ArtemisAngel

Gattsu*Caska
Heaven

All of this talk about hell in Berserk, and I know the Godhand by name are supposedly in league with some sort of God, but do you think a heaven will ever be introduced in Berserk, or will Miaru simply stick with a demon world and a spirit world?

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
All of this talk about a "heaven" or a "hell" in Berserk-BAH! The Vortex of Souls might well be a Hell, but even then, it recedes down into the Abyss, a place where only Ideal forms can exist. The Abyss could be seen as either a Heaven OR a Hell; Not one or the other, neither, or both. Just a single layer of reality.

Try imagining a world where, when people die, they go spend their afterlife in a mobile home. It's not Hell, but it ain't that great, either. But everybody goes to the SAME mobile home when they die. So pretty soon, its a really sucky place to be. Does that example help?

Herald of Yama said:
But everybody goes to the SAME mobile home when they die. So pretty soon, its a really sucky place to be. Does that example help?

So the more time pass, the more people have died, the more souls gather in the same home?
What will happen when people's deaths will be counting to billions of billions? Will they expand maybe?
Or maybe it ain't so important if you are just a dozen or a billion over there? Just the place that "sucks" allready?

ArtemisAngel

Gattsu*Caska
Re: Heaven

Aazealh said:
Thank you to search for older threads before making a new one...

It's not just by name, truth be told.

Miura.

sorry about that... I'm new to this and I haven't gotten used to searching for topics before starting mine

and I looked at a cover of Berserk right after I posted it, saw Miura's name, and slapped myself in the face. I'll go read the replies now...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
xechnao said:
Or maybe it ain't so important if you are just a dozen or a billion over there? Just the place that "sucks" allready?

From what we've seen and read, I think it's safe to assume that being part of the Vortex of Souls pretty much sucks, yeah.

ArtemisAngel said:
sorry about that... I'm new to this

It's ok, there's always a first time. :)

Hideo

Its not my fault, its a hardware problem.
Maybe there is not a Heaven in Berserk, maybe it is more like a Nirvana, where you get relief from all the burdens of life, and eternal forget. But i think the Vortex is the so-called Hell in Berserk.

I have to ask, why the Branded people are doomed, since their branding? Are they born with their Brands? Sorry about the newbish question. I only know this: When the incubus "attacked" Guts, before the Field of Zombies, it showed Guts in a Pit with sharp stakes on it. Was Gut'ses Brand bleeding because the incubus, or was it reanimating the "Branding" of Guts, and escaping from that place?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hideo said:
I have to ask, why the Branded people are doomed, since their branding? Are they born with their Brands?

Just read the manga, really...

If you really want to know about it, they're not born with it, it's a very powerful curse and people usually die right after receiving it. The Brand also reacts to various kinds of stimuli, but especially to Evil, by bleeding (and it also attracts evil entities). The scene with the maze, the spikes and the Demon Child is just a nightmare.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hideo said:
Maybe there is not a Heaven in Berserk, maybe it is more like a Nirvana, where you get relief from all the burdens of life, and eternal forget. But i think the Vortex is the so-called Hell in Berserk.

I have to ask, why the Branded people are doomed, since their branding? Are they born with their Brands? Sorry about the newbish question. I only know this: When the incubus "attacked" Guts, before the Field of Zombies, it showed Guts in a Pit with sharp stakes on it. Was Gut'ses Brand bleeding because the incubus, or was it reanimating the "Branding" of Guts, and escaping from that place?
I second Aazealh's notion. But specifically, the answer to your initial question about being "doomed" is very concretely explained in volume 3. So... you're almost there.

Hideo

Its not my fault, its a hardware problem.
Thanks for the couragement :), I really am allmost there. Probably i should just shutthehellup. Or at least not take part in "serious" conversations.

Tenro

...You tit.
Maybe this is a but dumb, but I'm sort of surprised nobody has brought this up...
How much does Griffith know about such things? In the end, he's the Idea's chosen one, but he's still just an important puppet. Who's to say that he actually knows that "Everybody goes there." Maybe he's wrong about that, and Miura hasn't gotten to a point when he wants to show us that.
Rampans specualtion, I'll grant you, and not very definitive, but I thought it should be mentioned.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tenro said:
Who's to say that he actually knows that "Everybody goes there." Maybe he's wrong about that, and Miura hasn't gotten to a point when he wants to show us that.

Well I talked about that, I pointed out that Flora and people of her kind apparently didn't go there. Then there's Guts' comment to Theresia in volume 3 but that one doesn't prove anything. Now, Griffith was sort of the neighbor of the Vortex of Souls during his time as Femto, so I think it's safe to assume he knows the main lines. But there could indeed be more to it. I'm not going to quote my posts but I felt they were appropriate in that regard.

Aazealh said:
Well I talked about that, I pointed out that Flora and people of her kind apparently didn't go there.
Yes, I thinked she said something along the lines of that wizards and witches can escape going to the vortex. Where do they go?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Khorne said:
Yes, I thinked she said something along the lines of that wizards and witches can escape going to the vortex.

Nah, she doesn't really say that, it's just the impression the reader can get from her speech and appearance in her astral form at the beginning of volume 27. As for where they would go, we don't have any indication about it. Probably somewhere in the astral world, a place contrary to the Qliphoth maybe.

Well based on what we know I think that there could be, but I'm not for sure, I dont think there is enough to go on really to deceide yet.

Top Bottom