Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
zooty said:
u go with its FICTION!

I think most people can come to this conclusion just by looking at it. :void:

zooty said:
*edit* sorry about killing a few catgirls there :zodd:

Yeah, I'm glad to see people care about what I say, really... I'm not convinced by all these calculations by the way, and I mean all of them, not just one in particular.

Here's my theory; you'd have to be insane to think you can lift a sword like the DS. And we all know Guts is one crazy mother. He's so nuts that he belives he can wield that thing, and because he believes that so much, he can!

It's all mind over matter. :D

Triggormortis

Weakness is a disease; I am the cure.
Alucalb said:
Here's my theory; you'd have to be insane to think you can lift a sword like the DS. And we all know Guts is one crazy mother. He's so nuts that he belives he can wield that thing, and because he believes that so much, he can!

It's all mind over matter. :D
I'm actually going with this theory. For most of the series, Guts is freakin pissed. Their have been accounts of incredible feats of strength when people have been put to the limit. Theres that story when the woman lifted a car a few inches or some shit to save her child. So what I think is that Guts' anger and desperation to kill Griffith had completely taken over his mind, allowing him to wield the Dragon Slayer. And over time, he's built up enough strength to wield it now that he's chilled out a bit. I'm willing to bet that that's the theory Miura would go with instead of this "magical strength from the Interstice" bit. Or, in the least, this is what Guts would believe. I think he would believe he could wield it on "his own strength." But hey, what do I know- I'm a lunatic.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Alucalb said:
you'd have to be insane to think you can lift a sword like the DS.

As far as the manga goes, I don't think lifting it is much of a problem. Even a kid like Isidro managed to give it a try, and when Guts was captured by the H.I.C.K., they didn't have a problem carrying the sword back to the camp.

Triggormortis said:
For most of the series, Guts is freakin pissed.

Actually, no. If you pay attention, you can notice that Guts is very cool minded in most of his fights.

Triggormortis said:
So what I think is that Guts' anger and desperation to kill Griffith had completely taken over his mind, allowing him to wield the Dragon Slayer. And over time, he's built up enough strength to wield it now that he's chilled out a bit.

Why not having the strength to wield it in the first place then? And what about all the other stuff he did that needed spectacular strength (or speed, or luck, etc)? Not forgetting that when he carries the sword on his back while walking, he's still supporting its weight... Plus, when he wielded the sword for the first time, he didn't show anything like anger or desperation.

Triggormortis said:
Or, in the least, this is what Guts would believe. I think he would believe he could wield it on "his own strength."

Yeah, just like Azan wields his metallic quarterstaff, which must weight as much as the Dragon Slayer given its proportions, and be as impossible to wield as it, by his own strength.

I'll say it again, Berserk is a work of fiction, in which a lot of unnatural phenomenons happen, including some characters having weird morphologies, or unbelievable strength and/or agility.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
As far as the manga goes, I don't think lifting it is much of a problem. Even a kid like Isidro managed to give it a try, and when Guts was captured by the H.I.C.K., they didn't have a problem carrying the sword back to the camp.

At least two of them carried it, but you're right.

I'll say it again, Berserk is a work of fiction, in which a lot of unnatural phenomenons happen, including some characters having weird morphologies, or unbelievable strength and/or agility.

Pretty much agree. If youre going to buy all thats happened in this manga, than accepting that one dude can lift a very heavy sword isn't that much of a stretch

Guts can wield it because he's spent his entire life fighting with a sword at least his own length in size :guts:
Also keep in mind that the DS is drawn a little differently every time, so it may look a little bigger or smaller at times. For example in the first volume (page 20 or so) the sword has ALMOST human dimensions. And as stated before that lifting it is not much of a problem, you would only have to put it into motion and it's mass*speed would take care of business. And if Guts put his whole body into swinging it, this would surely be manageable. He DOES however use it with less difficulty than imaginable but hey, if it would really have to be so realistic then would it be so fun anymore? Honestly, think about the cat girls. You might as well go bitching on about how you don't see ghosts in the woods.

(EDIT: Oops! where did that extra "to" come from?)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BobCheese said:
Guts can wield it because he's spent his entire life fighting with a sword at least his own length in size :guts:

Yes, it reminds me of a folk tale we have here: some farmer would lift a newborn calf everyday for fun, and continued as the animal grew bigger and bigger. Until the day he realized he could lift an adult cow.

Guts trained with a standard sword at 3, and that was against Gambino, it wasn't for a joke. There's a background to him finally wielding the DS, a legitimity. It's not like he was the average guy before.

BobCheese said:
Also keep in mind that the DS is drawn a little differently every time, so it may look a little bigger or smaller at times. For example in the first volume (page 20 or so) the sword has ALMOST human dimensions.

Yes, that's how I represent it to myself, the rest is perspective. :guts:

zooty said:
so lets assume guts' sword is 6 foot long (lets make this 4 foot as its taperd), 3 inches thick and 16 inches wide

Btw, there's NO way it's 3 inches thick. Also, keep in mind that it isn't a slab (though sometimes described as one), but is sharpened so it isn't evenly thick all the way to it's edges. Your calculations are false, now dance monkey, dance!

BobCheese said:
Btw, there's NO way it's 3 inches thick. Also, keep in mind that it isn't a slab (though sometimes described as one), but is sharpened so it isn't evenly thick all the way to it's edges. Your calculations are false, now dance monkey, dance!

*sigh* yea i did take that into account hence why i said lets call it 4 foot not 6ish :p

Hideo

Its not my fault, its a hardware problem.
Yup. Maybe we should keep this whole thing fantasy. Just for the sake of the cat-girls. I hope that people will remember to keep fantasy fantasy and reality reality. By messin with these, people have died. (Remember the jap-boy who jumped of from a roof, thinking that he was a Pokemon?) There is no need to speculate these things. It is góod as it is.

Ravenus

Lord of the Godhand
well you also have to remember it kind of showed him building up to a sword that big....it showed him practicing alot with the swords he had when he was with the hawks it showed him practicing one handed with a roll of logs strapped to his sword and hes super buff lol

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ravenus said:
well you also have to remember it kind of showed him building up to a sword that big...

Yeah, like I said in an earlier post, there's a background and a legitimity to him eventually wielding the Dragon Slayer, he didn't just switch from a rapier to it...

Now that I think of it, nobody talked in this thread about the good old "magical material" theory (available through a search for older threads). Since Godot's mine was inhabited by elves at some point, and since nobody says that Godot didn't use the mine he now lives nearby before living there (everybody's favorite argument: "it's not impossible"), it could be that the Dragon Slayer is made of magical metal! Just making things a bit uglier. :void:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Yeah, like I said in an earlier post, there's a background and a legitimity to him eventually wielding the Dragon Slayer, he didn't just switch from a rapier to it...

Now that I think of it, nobody talked in this thread about the good old "magical material" theory (available through a search for older threads). Since Godot's mine was inhabited by elves at some point, and since nobody says that Godot didn't use the mine he now lives nearby before living there (everybody's favorite argument: "it's not impossible"), it could be that the Dragon Slayer is made of magical metal! Just making things a bit uglier. :void:

Just in case someone does take up that theory again and doesn't pick up on the sarcasm, it must be squashed. Or at least if it was magic metal, Guts would be the only one to take advantage of it as its bloody heavy for the rest of the world :griff:

If it is magic metal I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. hey, its not impossible!

He can wield it because he's a fuckin beast.
He's been strong his whole life, look back in the manga and animation. He wields huge swords even when he's a kid, and he gets bigger and stronger thus allowing him to wield the Dragon Slayer. The DS isn't 500 lbs... It's a huge sword but think about its weight, massive swords used to weigh like 8 lbs 12 lbs max, but this one is bigger than he is, I'd say it weighs 50-70 lbs, think about holding that... Any man would struggle with a 25-30.

CnC

Ad Oculos
TonyDaBest666 said:
I'd say it weighs 50-70 lbs, think about holding that... Any man would struggle with a 25-30.

Trouble wielding that weight maybe, but the DS is heavier than that. Isidro could barely lift it, and it took a few of the HICKs just to carry it. 50-70lbs is way too light an estimate.

Dirty Dog

Now, I learned this term while we read "The Tempest" in high school, way back in like ninth grade.
"Willing suspension of misbelief."

Basically, that means "shut up and keep reading!" :troll:

Anyway, I believe Guts has explained this in his own words, several times. "Humans will continue to do whatever can to survive", or something along those lines. Sound familiar?

We all know that Guts would've died by now without a sword like the DS (Miura might've found another way, but a sword like the DS makes the most sense), so that is how he is able to use the DS. His instinctive desire to survive. Does being in the interstice help him? Maybe, maybe not. Why hasn't it torn his arm apart? Can't say, maybe he uses his metal arm to absorb most of the "damage" from wielding it? Is it even humanly possible to wield such a weapon? Probably not, but who really cares?

The point is, any normal sword would've kept breaking on him, just like in his fight against Wyald, or against the Apostle that came after him at Godo's. He needed a sword like the Dragon Slayer. So, that's what Miura gave him.

CnC said:
Just in case someone does take up that theory again and doesn't pick up on the sarcasm, it must be squashed. Or at least if it was magic metal, Guts would be the only one to take advantage of it as its bloody heavy for the rest of the world :griff:

If it is magic metal I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. hey, its not impossible!

CnC said:
Trouble wielding that weight maybe, but the DS is heavier than that. Isidro could barely lift it, and it took a few of the HICKs just to carry it. 50-70lbs is way too light an estimate.

The reason maybe we think that the DS is heavy for everyone else is because the instantces in which the DS was picked up by other people, those people were not very physically strong. Isidro probably couldn't even pick up a standard Olympic barbell, if he can pickup the DS bearly that means its possibly lighter than whatever he could dead lift or is as heavy as whatever he can dead lift, which probably isn't much givin his size, age, and muscle mass. The HICKS probably had a long way to travel did they not? So instead of hinder one man with an extra 70lbs+ they maybe thought to all shared the weight of the DS. Also they were in armor, and weapons, and it was only two people carrying it, its a bulky object, and they couldn't carry it on their back like Guts does. All I'm saying is, the instances in which the DS was picked up by other people, they either made no comment about how heavy it was, or if they did, their physical strength is no where near that of a very strong person to be an accruate judge of what really is Heavy.

Gurifisu

Sweet dreams, dear child of god.
Just wondering what do you think the weight of his other Gut's pre-DS swords... I have a feeling they weren't exactly light. Even if you would be able to wield such swords... wielding them for the amount of time that Gut's wields them would seem impossible.

That's why I think it's more just a fantasy aspect, and not really related to the interstice laws (though the interstice laws may be a possible conclusion set up to justify).

Gurifisu said:
Just wondering what do you think the weight of his other Gut's pre-DS swords... I have a feeling they weren't exactly light. Even if you would be able to wield such swords... wielding them for the amount of time that Gut's wields them would seem impossible.

That's why I think it's more just a fantasy aspect, and not really related to the interstice laws (though the interstice laws may be a possible conclusion set up to justify).

I'm thinking maybe 20-30lbs, and Gut's has amazing endurance, thats why his muscles are not only BIG but defined as well.

Top Bottom