Series of Explosions in London

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/07/london.tube/index.html

But i can't find out when it happened. Can someone verify the time for me?

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
This happened around 8pm last night for me... its 8am for me right now.. you can do the math.

They are saying its Al'qade, since an off shoot branch has taken responsibility for it. Not cool... also they found 2 undetonated devices that they recovered. 37 killed and round 700+ injured.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
First detonation happened at 8h51 GMT, so approximatively 15h53m before this post.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I remember the CQ watching this on tv earlier this morning, which was like around 6am on the East Coast. It fucking sucks, your just going to work then that happens. What is the number of people that died anyways? 39 or 44? I heard both.

its not to far from me by train in total 4 bombs went off.

2 on trains between stations, 3rd damaged 3 trains (dont know where it was placed though) and the 4th was on a bus around an hour after the 1st happned luckily this happned right outside a building where doctors were having a meeting so lots of early help saved lives. Some sect of al-queda is claiming they did it and the news today said that the aim of it seems to be at disrupting londons operation rather than causing loss of life. The bus explosion they think was placed there for media attention so that newspapers would have a picture to put on a front page. they have not ruled out suicide bombings yet either.

1500 metropolitan police were in scotland for G8 so they think that the terrorists acted now because london had 'low security'. 38 confirmed dead the last time i had the news on and im sure everyones sympathy goes out to the familys of the victims.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/default.stm - should have the best news coverage of whats happening

i know this is abit off topic but we need something to lighten the mood after such a tragic event... London 2012 best olympics ever? i think it will be :)

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Maybe it was a warning from whats his name in Iraq to Britain for bieng one of our only allies. I don't want to mispell his name like an ass....

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
zooty said:
i know this is abit off topic but we need something to lighten the mood after such a tragic event... London 2012 best olympics ever? i think it will be :)

NEVAR! You guys stole it from us! You've got bad food too! >:(

This is one of the many "shows" in our societies that the higher status needs to remain...higher and us lower.

I ask you when did those intelligence services and anti-terrorist acts done anything good ?
But, alas, they will never be able to do any cause they could never really know to stop one that has decided to blow things up.

But I guess citizens of G8 are still glad and proud.

Yet, expect more show of police state to go on.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
You've got bad food too! >:(
In that same article (Chirac bashing English food), a Russian claimed hamburgers were the worst tasting food ever, forever destroying any faith I'll place in Russian cuisine.

xechnao said:
But I guess citizens of G8 are still glad and proud.

Yet, expect more show of police state to go on.
Do you mean that the world leaders of G8 are proud? Or the citizens of the countries of those within the G8? And really either way... why?

CnC

Ad Oculos
It is sad that this happened so soon after London got the games.

"a Russian"? anyone of significance or was it just your average Boris on the street? Russians have a cuisine? How can anyone not like hamburgers? Even the vegetarians need a substitute to fulfill their hamburger cravings!

And from the London police briefing I was listening to this morning (1 hour ago) its highly suspected that it was Al'Qaeda (sp?) but theres no definitive proof yet.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
It is sad that this happened so soon after London got the games.
This was far more likely to have been a response to the G8.
"a Russian"? anyone of significance or was it just your average Boris on the street? Russians have a cuisine? How can anyone not like hamburgers? Even the vegetarians need a substitute to fulfill their hamburger cravings!
Looks like the quote was removed. I didn't think it was Putin at first, but after some research, the only leaders at this supposed food bashing commentary were Putin, Schroeder and Chirac so... Check this out though. "A French embassy official in the Finnish capital, Helsinki, has denied that Mr Chirac said anything derogatory about Finnish food.

The whole affair has been invented by the press, he said. "

The Great Cuisine Conspiracy of 2005? 8) Seriously though, everyone seems to be denying this happened. The credibility of this event being questioned plus the timing of it seems suspicious too, what with the Olympic announcement still having been in question when this went down (July 4th). I'm still 50/50 on the whole thing.
And from the London police briefing I was listening to this morning (1 hour ago) its highly suspected that it was Al'Qaeda (sp?) but theres no definitive proof yet.
al'Qaeda claimed responsibility for it, but they always do that.

My sympathy goes out to all of the families...I'm just glad it wasn't on a much larger scale as it very well could have been : (

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
This was far more likely to have been a response to the G8.

Yea I know, I meant it was just bad timing.

Its not like I was accusing france or anything... haha.. absurd..
LOOK! A BIRD! *runs*

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
CnC said:
Yea I know, I meant it was just bad timing.

Its not like I was accusing france or anything... haha.. absurd..
LOOK! A BIRD!    *runs*

Hmmmm....

French + Fries - KFC = Bomb +Terrorists + Fries... hmmm
- Fries - Fries

French - KFC = Bomb + Terrorists HOLY CRAP!

Walter said:
Do you mean that the world leaders of G8 are proud? Or the citizens of the countries of those within the G8? And really either way... why?

I mean citizens. World leaders are fooling us around, I am not criticizing on them anymore - this is a standard.
And as for the citizens, well I am glad you at least question that but in reality most of us think so considering the rest of the world.
There is not equality among the status of the nations of the world and their citizents even in peoples minds. Today. In the short past, it was much worse :see "official" imperialism, collonialism...
But eventually G8 is the same thing on the globe: controls economy and not only.

Want something on topic?
US can bomb and kill 50 Iraqi civilians. And there's no continuing TV Coverage or special front coverage in the newspapers.
Unless people start to consider doing something about it, when realizing that it's our fault and our doing the condition of poverty of the other nations, I could just only say what I just said above about them.
Not to say that some of us consider normal that we should exploit others -for our advantage- when we can, if that gives us some profit.

The question of modern terrorism is this one.
To stop terrorism you need a different approach of global economic relations of people.

P.S. I' ve read somewhere that US blacks don't feel like supporting Africa. At the same time I know that they live with traces of the racism problem. Does this tell you something or what?

I'm not quite sure I understand your post xech, and I only caught on the G8 thing you mentioned. The rest of it kinda went over (under?) my head.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
xechnao said:
To stop terrorism you need a different approach of global economic relations of people.
It will never happened dude. I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, but its a dream that will never come true. Do you honestly believe that if the U.S. and coalition forces stopped their operations, packed it up and left all the countries in the middle east and tried talks with them instead that all of this would go away?

Come on man, think about it. The radical's have it out for us. I think its to late for talks and understanding of the other people.

The bombings and killings will and would go on even if we left. It is just the sad state that we are in.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
It will never happened dude. I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, but its a dream that will never come true. Do you honestly believe that if the U.S. and coalition forces stopped their operations, packed it up and left all the countries in the middle east and tried talks with them instead that all of this would go away?

Come on man, think about it. The radical's have it out for us. I think its to late for talks and understanding of the other people.

The bombings and killings will and would go on even if we left. It is just the sad state that we are in.

I didn't say pack, go away and start talking. I said change the economic balances. Make societies equally wealthy and their members too, as much as possible.
If they are poor and expoited it's our fault. Change that*. They are extremists because of their condition. Yet, what funding they get from various sources, most of all is for stuff like that - or has to end that way for them. And ironically, the plan behind this one started by us.

Edit*: u see in the era of globalization, people need to reason with a different mentality for this to happen. We went out from the cold war era, just to end in this era. Some have their profits, but populations don't. People need to wake up.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
xechnao said:
I mean citizens. World leaders are fooling us around, I am not criticizing on them anymore - this is a standard.
And as for the citizens, well I am glad you at least question that but in reality most of us think so considering the rest of the world.
There is not equality among the status of the nations of the world and their citizents even in peoples minds. Today. In the short past, it was much worse :see "official" imperialism, collonialism...
But eventually G8 is the same thing on the globe: controls economy and not only.
It's strange to equate the G8's function with european colonialism. I agree that they divert massive ammounts of funds where they choose, and in this manner, they can collectively regulate the world economy, but they aren't making decisions that benefit them directly. Besides, the alternative to international groups like the G8 and the watchdog of the UN is completely independant economic development. And I don't see how every-man-for-himself would benefit anyone but the short-sighted.

Those that oppose the West would want nothing at all to do with whatever model for a global economy we could think up. Adapting our international systems to the whims of those that refuse to cooperate on even the most basic levels would ultimately be, to me, an Uroborus.

I'm familiar with Globalization but as for equalizing the world's economies... Dream on. What western allies are offering Iraq and whoever in the future we invade is a leapfrog jump across the revolution necessary to naturally bring about Democracy. What we're getting in return is "back off, we like monarchies! It's easier for our favorite exploitators to be perpetuated!"

P.S. I' ve read somewhere that US blacks don't feel like supporting Africa. At the same time I know that they live with traces of the racism problem. Does this tell you something or what?
Rev. Jesse Jackson, one of the more vocal African-Americans in the US, has advocated African aid since even before his ambassadorship under the Clinton administration. However, his support of certain warlords within Africa makes his credibility and genuine intent a little hard to sell. Other than Jackson, it's difficult to speak generally about African-Americans in this manner. I don't think there's a collective opinion on the subject, honestly.

Walter said:
It's strange to equate the G8's function with european colonialism. I agree that they divert massive ammounts of funds where they choose, and in this manner, they can collectively regulate the world economy, but they aren't making decisions that benefit them directly. Besides, the alternative to international groups like the G8 and the watchdog of the UN is completely independant economic development.

I am not considering G8 influence as the influence of the organisation itself, but how economy balances due to the economic powers - and it's not only funds: it's almost everything.
And why is it strange to name european collonialism. Today, indirectly you have the same thing economically. Just check on Africa's and L. Am resources - from labour to coffee or chocolate to resources such as oil, gold and diamonds.

Walter said:
And I don't see how every-man-for-himself would benefit anyone but the short-sighted.

True, you need an organized movement. But people should start to wake up themselves allready.

Walter said:
Those that oppose the West would want nothing at all to do with whatever model for a global economy we could think up. Adapting our international systems to the whims of those that refuse to cooperate on even the most basic levels would ultimately be, to me, an Uroborus.

I am not talking about the system but about economic power. Change the balances. Help them with infrastructure.

Walter said:
Rev. Jesse Jackson, one of the more vocal African-Americans in the US, has advocated African aid since even before his ambassadorship under the Clinton administration. However, his support of certain warlords within Africa makes his credibility and genuine intent a little hard to sell. Other than Jackson, it's difficult to speak generally about African-Americans in this manner. I don't think there's a collective opinion on the subject, honestly.

Well, I read this on some article on yahoo I think. I' ll search a bit and if I find it I will link.

Edit: link

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
xechnao said:
And why is it strange to name european collonialism. Today, indirectly you have the same thing economically. Just check on Africa's and L. Am resources - from labour to coffee or chocolate to resources such as oil, gold and diamonds.
You're complaining about an arm of Globalization: babysitting. I have faith that any economic restraints on African countries will be relinquished as soon as a suitable system for governing it is established. My faith in this method was established by the initial effectiveness of how British and French powers controlled North African countries and areas of the Middle East just after World War I, until a viable and qualified leader rose. The real problem for Iraq, I believe, was started by Western powers letting go too soon.

I am not talking about the system but about economic power. Change the balances. Help them with infrastructure.
Could you elaborate on the specifics of your infrastructure?

Walter said:
You're complaining about an arm of Globalization: babysitting.  I have faith that any economic restraints on African countries will be relinquished as soon as a suitable system for governing it is established. My faith in this method was established by the initial effectiveness of how British and French powers controlled North African countries and areas of the Middle East just after World War I, until a viable and qualified leader rose.  The real problem for Iraq started by Wester powers letting go too soon.

But French and British powers were forced to leave.
And I would not define it babysitting.
Anyway, the prob about Iraq was that it didn't need a war. There was no need for war in the middle east by stranger forces. There is the Israeli-Palestinian problem which is the real mess, that's true 
I believe if there were no such a thing first place, middle east would be Europe like today. People have some history over there.

Walter said:
Could you elaborate on the specifics of your infrastructure?

Sure.
Roads, schools, universities, technologic knowledge, power, industries: in general stuff that can help boost economy. Holland for example has very bad natural conditions for farming and agriculture. Yet with the proper infrastructure they hit the top about it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
xechnao said:
Anyway, the prob about Iraq was that it didn't need a war. There was no need for war in the middle east by stranger forces.
As I said, I believe the Iraq war offered them a chance to leapfrog themselves into Democracy. Hussein was simply an obstacle in the path to this. Using this logic, the war was necessary to properly implement such additions as "roads, schools universities..." etc. Look at North Korea. The US has been giving Kim Jong Il financial aid for years, but there's no way to determine or enforce how the aid is used. It could be, as is popularly believed here in the west, that he's simply using it to strengthen and feed his military. The same could have been said about Hussein.

Sure.
Roads, schools, universities, technologic knowledge, power, industries: in general stuff that can help boost economy. Holland for example has very bad natural conditions for farming and agriculture. Yet with the proper infrastructure they hit the top about it.
Well, there's more to the Middle East's economic hinderance than the Isreali-Palestinian rivalry, but I know you are aware of that. As I said before, a dictatorship doesn't foster long-term growth. Especially one as corrupt as Hussein's. Besides, these additions, roads, schools, universities, only take 5 minutes to be blown to bits by a terrorist who doesn't support western intervention. So it's back to Uroborus again.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
xechnao said:
But French and British powers were forced to leave.
Anyway, the prob about Iraq was that it didn't need a war.

The probelm about Iraq started before the war. It started when Iraq invaded Iran. Instead of trying to improve his country Saddam waisted all his time and money beating the shit out Iran. Putting his country into debt. Then making it even worse with his invasion of Iran. You're right Iraq didn't need a war, but either way it started two of them making worse for them selves and leaving a chance for the third gulf war to happen.

I would just like to respond in regard to the accusation of blacks not wanting to send aid to Africa...Growing up as a poor white kid, I was around more African Americans than most middle class kids would be, and it isn't a matter of caring or not caring about Africa.  The bottom line is that a larger percentage of African Americans are economically impoverished, and so their primary concerns are finding money to keep up with the bills, and keeping their children away from gangs and other various degrading factors in the inner city (well, mainly drugs).  It's a lot easier to worry about sending aid to other people when you belong to the middle or upper class.  Before you criticize African Americans, specifically those in the inner city (which is a fair majority), I suggest you see what it is like to live on minimum wage and from pay check to pay check.

Top Bottom