The Guts/Farnese relationship thread.

IgnusDei

mmh-hmm good.
I don't get it.

Guts often strikes me as a hardened loner who'd rather stay the hell away from crowds and not be too sad when companions leave on their merry path, and yet here he is going out of his way to get Farnese back from the Vandimion manor, going as far as fighting Serpico to get to her.

Is it because he smelled the aristocratic bullshit from a mile away and just thought and couldn't stand it, or that he's recovered some of his lost humanity, so much that he can't let friends go anymore?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IgnusDei said:
he's recovered some of his lost humanity, so much that he can't let friends go anymore?

That's it, and it's not like there hasn't been any foreshadowing or anything... He's been changing for a while now. I think that scene sums it up pretty well:

Nakama.jpg

Nakama2.jpg

NAKAMA-KA?! :judo:

I wonder if Guts will ever love again. The closest he's gotten to getting some action in a while was Farnese getting on top of him while being possesed and Slan giving him a big o' kiss.

Poor boy must be sexually frustrated.

Triggormortis

Weakness is a disease; I am the cure.
Not really. The first thing we're treated to in book 1 was Guts having his way with a demon lady. Thats gotta count for something.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tell Me Why said:
I wonder if Guts will ever love again.

He still loves Casca... Despite not getting "action".

Triggormortis said:
The first thing we're treated to in book 1 was Guts having his way with a demon lady. Thats gotta count for something.

I'm not sure what it's got to count for, really. I doubt he was enjoying himself a lot while waiting for the right moment to blow up the monster's head, plus his brand must have been hurting quite a bit.

It's not like Guts is a teenager whose only goal in life is to have sex anyway... His unsatisfied desire for Casca frustrates him, but that didn't change his feelings for her, it just gave the Beast another thing to tease him about. :beast:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
It's not like Guts is a teenager whose only goal in life is to have sex anyway... His unsatisfied desire for Casca frustrates him, but that didn't change his feelings for her, it just gave the Beast another thing to tease him about. :beast:
I think it's pretty clear that Guts has some repressed sexual urges. Despite not being a "horny teenager", he's twice in the past been prone to violent sexual outbursts. Not that I blame the big galoot, or am labeling him a rapist. He's just had a pretty lousy lot in love. As for how this relates to Farnese? Well, it doesn't does it? He looked pretty grateful for the free lap dance in volume 17, to me.

Anyway, in response to Ignus Dei's inititial question, Guts needs his new friends, and he knows it; now more than ever.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I think it's pretty clear that Guts has some repressed sexual urges.

That's what I was saying, yeah.

Walter said:
Despite not being a "horny teenager", he's twice in the past been prone to violent sexual outbursts.

If we only consider the times where he acted upon sexual frustration, it's once, when he bit her breast in volume 23, episode 190 (The Beast Hungers). I think my Beast commentary was explicit enough. :beast:

Walter said:
As for how this relates to Farnese? Well, it doesn't does it? He looked pretty grateful for the free lap dance in volume 17, to me.

Well not to me, and you're going to have a hard time showing me where he looked grateful... I think his repressed urges really started manifesting themselves after he freed Casca and started travelling with her, before that he was mostly "obnubilated" by his revenge.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
I agree with you guys that he is just regaining his humanity and capacity for friendship. He has made it pretty clear he doesnt want to abandon people anymore.

Aside from that primary reason there is the practical reasons that Farnese is a good babysitter to Caska, and Serpico is excellent backup in battle, particularly when Gatsu is too busy to keep his eyes on the women.

I think Gatsu likes Farnese by this point. But I dont think he has ever had any real sexual interest in her at all, lapdance or not.

TheRedShadow

Don't turn around.
*Lapdance or not*

Walter has a point there, you must take into context that Guts is MALE thus being that close to a woman after a long time must count for something, whether or not "he" wanted it with his surface feelings or his subconscious, he did "want it", though perhaps for it to mean something instead.

xbigvmanx

Gutz is a Bad azz
IgnusDei said:
Guts often strikes me as a hardened loner who'd rather stay the hell away from crowds

In a way you are right if Casca still trusts him he wouldn't have have companions tag-along with him. He also mentions in volume 23 that if he was by himself he wouldn't let them come with with him. But he needs them especially Farnese to look after Casca.

Aazealh said:
He still loves Casca... Despite not getting "action".
Exactly. I don't understand why some people can't seem to fathom love without sex. I think Guts misses having Caska "the person" more than the physical component of their relationship.

Aazealh said:
I'm not sure what it's got to count for, really. I doubt he was enjoying himself a lot while waiting for the right moment to blow up the monster's head, plus his brand must have been hurting quite a bit.

Yeah, I don't think sexual pleasure had anything to do with that encounter. Guts most likely knew of that particular Apostle's propensity for using sex as snare and exploited it. Thus minimizing the risk of physical injury to himself, while greatly increasing his chances of a quick and sure kill. Plus, it seems like there is a certain satisfaction one would derive from beating such a creature at their own sadistic game. But that's just me reading into that scene.

Aazealh said:
It's not like Guts is a teenager whose only goal in life is to have sex anyway...

Yeah, pretty far from it actually.

xbigvmanx

Gutz is a Bad azz
I think my favorite times between Guts and Farnese is when she was back with the Hicks and how every encounter Guts would just turn her world upside to what is right and wrong. And i am just amazed that Guts very presence brings change in people. Almost like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, Guts is like a Tav'ern someone who can influence fate in his own making. I look forward to Farnese's development most of all because i wonder what she will receive from being Gut's disciple since it was almost like her hardrive was repartition with a new O/S. She's a completely different person and i just find that amazing. I would like to see more especially her training in magic. When you think about it she will get to be more in touch with a god then last time. lol

i know this thread is old, gonna apologize upfront -

you know, considering Guts' soft spot for Farnese, her obsession with him, and what SK said about Casca's mental fix (how she might not want what Guts wants) - I think it's plausible to predict Guts and Farnese becoming a couple. Am I completely off base here?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mista Ice said:
Am I completely off base here?

I'm afraid so. I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "Guts' soft spot for Farnese", but she's clearly not the one he loves. In fact I could even argue that he's closer to Schierke (and obviously not in a romantic way, as far as he's concerned). I think Roderick is going to be the one for Farnese, as many things have hinted so far in the story.

D

Duststorm

Mista Ice said:
you know, considering Guts' soft spot for Farnese, her obsession with him, and what SK said about Casca's mental fix (how she might not want what Guts wants) - I think it's plausible to predict Guts and Farnese becoming a couple. Am I completely off base here?

:ganishka: sounds like a fanfiction.

I guess I'm the odd one out here, haha. You guys are probably right. A couple things, though - Personally, I see the relationship between Schierke and Guts developing into a father/daughter type (I think Isidro and Schierke are gonna be a couple); and also, I would be suprised to see Farnese settle for Roderick.

Mista Ice said:
I would be suprised to see Farnese settle for Roderick.

I would be surprised if Farnese Didn't fall for Roderick. Their relationship is still in development but I'm sure once we get an update on Casca's condition we'll get a glimpse on how everything is gonna play out.

On a side note, are Serpico and Farnese actually related by blood or was that just speculation?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mista Ice said:
A couple things, though - Personally, I see the relationship between Schierke and Guts developing into a father/daughter type (I think Isidro and Schierke are gonna be a couple)

I'd say "big brother/little sister" personally. And welcome to the Isidro+Schierke club! :guts:

Mista Ice said:
I would be suprised to see Farnese settle for Roderick.

Prepare to be surprised then. :carcus:

Ramen4ever said:
On a side note, are Serpico and Farnese actually related by blood or was that just speculation?

What CnC said.

Hmm don't see that relationship going anywhere with Guts still occupied with Caska. Although I do think it will be a while if it does happen for Farnese to get with Roderick. The fact is both Guts and Farnese are obsessed with different people. Schierke and Ishidro is a fairly straightforward relationship for later on and Guts and Sheirke share a bond which isn't love related although Schierke is also fascinated by Guts much like Farnese.

D

Duststorm

Since we are talking about Farnese. Who is Guts to her? Is he a friend, a savior figure, or idol? I am not really sure which one.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Duststorm said:
Since we are talking about Farnese. Who is Guts to her? Is he a friend, a savior figure, or idol? I am not really sure which one.

A bit of all that at once, and you can add "impossible romantic interest" to the list.

Top Bottom