The Guts/Farnese relationship thread.

D

Duststorm

Aazealh said:
A bit of all that at once, and you can add "impossible romantic interest" to the list.

I may have missed it, but when was it implied that Farnese has romantic interest in Guts?
When she was talking with her mother, her mother asked her if she loves anyone. Farnese thought of Guts but she also thought "No, that person to me is..."

Because of this line I wondered how Farnese feels about Guts because it didn't seem like she has any romantic feelings.

Is it mistranslation perhaps? Or am I being very dense :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You're being kind of obtuse about her clear interest in Guts, which has been expressed on numerous occasions throughout the series (hey, like it or not people, she's been around longer than JODO! :judo: ).

I may have missed it, but when was it implied that Farnese has romantic interest in Guts?
When she was talking with her mother, her mother asked her if she loves anyone. Farnese thought of Guts but she also thought "No, that person to me is..."

Because of this line I wondered how Farnese feels about Guts because it didn't seem like she has any romantic feelings.

Is it mistranslation perhaps? Or am I being very dense Carcus
Well, IMHO Farnese is quite a complicated character to explain simply, loads of subtle (and some not so subtle :) changes that make up her personality make it somewhat difficult but still, there is no doubt that she has a romantic interest in Guts. Most notable proof could probably be found in more recent episodes (287, 288) a sudden withdrawal back from the astral plane and a jealous fit she had with Casca later on. The scene with her mother that you mentioned could be interpreted by given circumstances; she had decided to leave the group believing the whole thing to be a mistake, giving way to some of the confusion/insecurity that had plagued her before, plus she had been slightly swept of her feet by Roderick (he's quite a charmer that one :serpico: ).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Duststorm said:

On numerous occasions. Really, if you've missed all of them, I think you might need to re-read those parts of the manga.

I hate to rain on the Farnese/Roderick parade but there's also the issue of Farnese finding out about Magnifico and Roderick's little deal..

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mista Ice said:
I hate to rain on the Farnese/Roderick parade but there's also the issue of Farnese finding out about Magnifico and Roderick's little deal..

You mean the one she herself made with Magnifico in the first place? :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mista Ice said:
oh man. did she really?.. i can't believe i forgot that.

Yeah, she agreed to marry Roderick as long as she'd get a ship for her friends, and she hadn't even met him yet.

D

Duststorm

Aazealh said:
On numerous occasions. Really, if you've missed all of them, I think you might need to re-read those parts of the manga.

I have re-read parts of the manga where Farnese is involved. The only time which implied that she may have feelings for Guts was before the sea battle where Farnese lectures Casca about how ungrateful she is toward Guts, it did seem like she was jealous.

Honestly, I don't know what you mean by numerous occasions. Are you referring to the time when she leaned against Guts chest when he came to save her from the trolls, to me it seemed like she was incredibly relived.

Or do you mean the time before they reach the port when she showed looks of concern towards Guts when Serpico referenced Griffith. Puck also had the same reaction so unless you suggest he also has interest in Guts this scene doesn't count

I also notice that when Farnese talks about Guts, most of the time she refers to him as he, that person,that man.

So, Aazealh could you enlighten me by what you mean by numerous occasions.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Duststorm said:
I have re-read parts of the manga where Farnese is involved. The only time which implied that she may have feelings for Guts was before the sea battle where Farnese lectures Casca about how ungrateful she is toward Guts, it did seem like she was jealous.

From the very beginning she was enthralled by him. The moment after she whipped him when he was capture, oh man, you could cut her sexual tension with a knife. To flesh that though out further, once shes being possessed after Guts escapes its even spelled out through the demonic spirit's dialogue. Another big clue that comes to mind is when Farnese is having a conversation with her mother in I think volume 28 or 29, and her mother asks if theres someone she loves. Farnese then pictures Guts face.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Paraphrased:
Duststorm said:
Hey I never saw Farnese touching herself and screaming out: "GUTS, GUTS, OH GUTS, OH YEAH!" Whattaya mean she has feelings for Guts?!

The key word here is SUBTEXT, man SUBTEXT!

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
I think his repressed urges really started manifesting themselves after he freed Casca and started travelling with her, before that he was mostly "obnubilated" by his revenge.

I'll note that that's supported by the fact that the first time he tried to put the moves on Casca in Godo's cave, he backed off when he realized she wouldn't have it. It took some severe stress and extenuating circumstances for him to get to the point of almost Snuff-Sexing Casca.
He's gotta' be sexually frustrated on some level though, his women can't be there for him in that capacity, plus I can't picture an Iron, prosthetic hand being all that friendly of an alternative. . . .

Scorpio said:
From the very beginning she was enthralled by him. The moment after she whipped him when he was capture, oh man, you could cut her sexual tension with a knife.

Just imagine if Azan hadn't walked in, or had walked in a minute later? Scandal Rocks the Holy See!

Top Bottom