Where have all of the great writers gone?

How did you liked "Les Thanatonautes" and the following ones of the serie ? It's true that "Le père de nos pères" is not one of his bests.. We can't forget his past (scientifical journalist), maybe that's why there's a lot of plausible stuff (not everything is true).

I think I like Bernard Werber's stuff because i got back to reading because of his stuff.. i bought 2 Philip K. Dick books and 2 books from Huxley, still haven't read them.

I didn't read all the thread but Aazealh, who's your favorite author (still alive) ?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Shurikn said:
How did you liked "Les Thanatonautes" and the following ones of the serie ?

I liked the first one, the others less. If we're going to discuss this I'd rather use PMs though.

Shurikn said:
II didn't read all the thread but Aazealh, who's your favorite author (still alive) ?

I didn't post about my favorite author, alive or not. If graphic novels count, then Kentarou Miura, otherwise I have no real favorite author.

ok i have just finished read Harry Potter 6 and i have to say its really good. not to my surprise or anything i mean i really enjoyed the other 5.

now im about to read a book that i have been wanting to read for a long time "War and Peace". i was just wondering has anyone else read this book and if they have how is it?

Aazealh said:
If graphic novels count
they absolutely do
Aazealh said:
then Kentarou Miura
now i really dont think that anyone can argue when i say he is not only underrated but also a "Great" writer with an amazing imagination.

How about great TV writers, like Bruce Timm and Paul Dini? For more than ten years, they've written, directed and produced phenomenal cartoon shows, from Batman: The Animated Series to Justice League Unlimited.

And there's Joss Whedon. I cite Firefly and season five of Angel as his finest work.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Alucalb said:
How about great TV writers

I really don't think that these guys are in the "Great writers" league, to repeat what several people have said already.

Alucalb said:
How about great TV writers, like Bruce Timm and Paul Dini? For more than ten years, they've written, directed and produced phenomenal cartoon shows, from Batman: The Animated Series to Justice League Unlimited.

And there's Joss Whedon. I cite Firefly and season five of Angel as his finest work.

*slap* How old are you?

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Rage Incarnate said:
*slap* How old are you?

The original 90's Batman and Superman both won several Emmy awards. Good series writers indeed, but I don't think that they should be accounted as "Great Writers". Don't think that that was included in Walter's list. And second, it's not original.

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
How about Bob Kane, Stan Lee etc... their influence is still felt strongly in the pop culture today, and will surely be, say 50 years from now... :isidro:

Oltobaz said:
How about Bob Kane, Stan Lee etc... their influence is still felt strongly in the pop culture today, and will surely be, say 50 years from now... :isidro:

When Spiderman 70 and Fantastic Four 8 should be done.

There a no Great writers at all if you cannot define what is a great writer...I've read all the topic and nowhere anyobody have define  what is a great writer (or not precisely tought!)
If a great writer is someone which(or whose i dunno) book appeal the more people he can so...there is a lot of great writers even nowaday...
If  great writers are people which simply achieve their goal(making all his readers crying,laughing,thinking or whatever he wants)then there are few great writers. . .but this is still a lot of people...
In my opinion arguing about something no one ever define can't lead to anything constructive...what is "greatness" afterall?You are all reading Berserk...greatness,dreams are some theme of the manga... you should know that greatness is a "blurry" notion(even without reading it you should know that)...
I'd say that greatness is just the ability of anyone of realizing his/her ambition the best he could but the way he wants to...how many peoples find it great add nothing to that
I won't deny the "greatness" of people like Shakespeare for example but he is considered that great only because he is recognized by a lot of writers right now...maybe in a few decade he won't be considered THAT great anymore...
If the recognition(by whoever it is) is what make you great so Tolkien or closer J.K Rowlings(even Britney Spears  :casca:)are great
I'm not(altoough I was like that) the kind to say "the past was better"...things move,way of thinking move if we are where we are it's because of thoses "great" peoples that build our society...maybe that some movie writers are great...there are a lot of thing Shakespeare does not need to care that those people need to care of so we can't compare the matter is way more complicated than that...
Great writers haven't disapeared they are still there doing differents things...maybe a lot of foreigns writers  are greats but will never be published in English...so
I'm from french West Indies (Martinique)and here we have someone who is considered great(he is very famous in France too...he even refuses to enter "l'Académie Française")his name is Aimé CESAIRE...he is not considered that great cause he is not well known all around the world...so
What I'm trying to say is that greatness is purely subjective...or is defined only by the amounts of people amazed by something so...Shakespeare is great but Britney too  :guts:
PS:please forgive my lame English :void:

I agree on some points but just because a work is widely appreciated doesn't make it great. I agree each person has their own definition of greatness but hey then by that measure DBZ and Naruto are great. I believe greatness, in writing, is telling a story in a way that puts people into the world and deeply connects almost any reader to the characters, excluding short attention spans. Now that I got that out... You shall now be burned for even suggesting a Spears is great. :zodd:

Not until today’s writers have passed through the scrutiny of scholars and influential people alike in ages to come will they be really considered great.

One thing I would like to point out is that despite I consider William Shakespeare to be a great writer it seems to be a cliché for most people to talk about him as "the greatest writer" which in my opinion shows a lack of individualism. There is an immense variety of great works of literature out there in which some of them might make more of an impact to individuals/groups depending to their environment, personality and experiences.

What you said is so true...Whenever I heard "Anglo Saxon" speak of great writers it always come to Shakespeare(they even make fun of this in a lot of movies)that always make me laugh anyway...
Must stay aware of "cliché" and Shakespeare=Greatest Writer is one of the biggest cliché ever :badbone:

Top Bottom