IRA laying down arms...

As an Irish Catholic, I felt the need to bring it up. Personally, I am kind of disappointed, but the IRA really screwed things up over the past ten years.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
As an american Irish hispanic german I'm glad they are putting down their guns. If they really wanted to free northern Ireland they should have done it the right way instead of going around killing and blowing people up.

Well, don't get me wrong, I DEFINITELY don't condone the actions, but the way it being gone about it is kind of...I don't know, just not the way I pictured. 

-EDIT-

Also, this is ground breaking news, and so far all three of the American cable new channels have simply had the scroll bar run.  Even BBC America cut out at 8:30...I don't know, this just seems like something really big, to me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
Also, this is ground breaking news, and so far all three of the American cable new channels have simply had the scroll bar run. Even BBC America cut out at 8:30...I don't know, this just seems like something really big, to me.
You shouldn't need a scrolling bar to let you know this is huge news. :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
Also, this is ground breaking news, and so far all three of the American cable new channels have simply had the scroll bar run. Even BBC America cut out at 8:30...I don't know, this just seems like something really big, to me.

I heard about it on French news, they said that the organization wouldn't be dissolved or anything, that they were just resuming the process they stopped in 2003, in an attempt to have peace in North Ireland. Good news anyway, hope it works this time.

Well, the sole purpose of the IRA is basically to use and threaten to use their weaponry, so by laying down the weapons they basically cease to exist.  They aren't much of a political entity.  I just hate that the IRA shut down out of mismanagement and ineffectiveness, rather than any real political progress.  I always pictured their shutting down symbolizing a break in the tension, but it has probably increased it, if anything.  The Republican die hards are going crazy, accusing them of selling out and threatening action, so it's just disheartening.  The best way I know to put it is that, to the Irish, this should have been akin to the fall of the Berlin Wall, but it was more like another pointless treaty between Jews and Palestinians.  The IRA was worthless, but it could have done some good by using their existence as a bargaining chip, but they couldn't even get that right...

What I was trying to get across was that most Americans are more concerned about what is going on in Aruba than real news, and our media is absolute shit.  Even the British know we don't give a damn, and cut away to give us So Graham Norton and trash like that. Also, it was barely even mentioned in The New York Times and USA Today...It's times such as these that I understand why Europe isn't exactly our biggest fan.

MAKE PEACE NOT WAR!!!! :serpico: :puck:

well as far as i can work out the IRA's purpose was to get independance of northern ireland and as long as they were a military unit a british 'peace keeping' force would have been deployed there. so by disbanding the british forces no longer have a reason to occupy N ireland so they are closer to one of their main goal. seems like a good idea to me lol

but you will always get the extremists so i dont see this as an end to northern ireland terrorism. i assume ex IRA members will now work with the police against other terrorist organisations to make the UK a safer place :D (well we can hope)

ps. i gotta stop posting while drunk so sorry if this is an coherent ramble.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
bph said:
What I was trying to get across was that most Americans are more concerned about what is going on in Aruba than real news, and our media is absolute shit.

In the News 4:36am, Fri Jul 29
• Britain police question suspected bomber
• Murder victim's sister: IRA must do more
• Shuttle grounding may cause layoffs
• Bar Association reviewing Roberts' credentials
• Record monsoons kill more than 500 in India
• DOJ report slams California mental hospital
• Pianist sues music teacher after dispute
• MLB · NBA · NFL · NHL · Tennis · Soccer

That's what Yahoo news has up at the moment. First two stories they are reporting have to do with the UK and surrounding Islands.

What's going on in Aruba is real news. It has to do with a person that dissapeard. Why are Americans so concerned about it? It has to do with an American that was kidnapped and murdered there. It's easier for Americans to understand that then the RIA breaking up. It's not because Americans don't care just that they have no idea what the situation is about.

It's times such as these that I understand why Europe isn't exactly our biggest fan.

I still don't give two shits about Europe. They just sit around bitching and moaning about their bastard child country that's basicly always done much better then their selves.

zooty said:
ps. i gotta stop posting while drunk so sorry if this is an coherent ramble.

I actually post while intoxicated. That's why Aazealh has to work extra hard. Now pretending to be drunk is just childish and makes the person doing it look like a big stupid head.

I completely understand where you are coming from, but I am kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum as someone who is more closely related to the European situation.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Ah, I'll never forget the first piece of artwork I saw when in northern Ireland when I was on a school art trip. It was a mural on a city wall of an IRA member in a ski mask holding an AK47. I guess they figured it was scaring away too many tourists.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
I completely understand where you are coming from, but I am kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum as someone who is more closely related to the European situation.

Don't pay attention to people trolling.

Top Bottom