Lady Winde's Art Thread

Well a few days ago I decided I may as well take that leap and try and broaden my horizons so to speak and go full out.

I usually just sketch out drawings and end up not even bothering to color/paint them, mostly due to laziness and lack of time.

Painting with a mouse is just... ugh. -_- I really wish I had a tablet. Especially when I started on the hair where there were quite a few times I just wanted to delete the whole thing and forget about it. Still working on the ponytail. :(

face
front part of hair added
Changed the eyes
Ponytail added

As you can tell I have quite a bit to go before it is finished but it seems to be coming around okay. Layer status: 27. Heh... ^_^;

Winde, dreading the background.

*edit* Changed the name of the thread since I didn't think a seperate one was necessary. :D

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Attempting a full cg portrait.

Hey Winde, well I kinda like it, especially the lips and the effect on the hair. :SK:

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness

And that is your pic LadyW.? :eek: 8) It is very good done and it is very beautiful .
Now...hem..don't take this personal...but ...those ears...you really should do something about them. I understand the surgeons nowadays don't come cheap but you could cover them with a chap...now I repeat no offense intended , it just that you are otherwise so beautiful that is a shame...
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Looks really damn good. I feel like there are some minor issues of orientation of the head and so on, but honestly, once you finish up the ears it'd be good enough for Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity

Looks gorgeous. I need to start putting that kind of time into my CGs. 27 layers for just the head is alot :isidro:

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!

I do NOT envy you having to do this with a mouse.  Most of the time I don't even like doing stuff with a Wacom tablet!

It's looking good though; my main critique would be that it's looking a little too fuzzy in some places.  I think making the edge crisper around her chin and also her neck and shoulders would help.  The hair is looking good. You have a lot of patience!

Well I recently did a full cg picture for my mother's birthday. :) I was able to paint it with a tablet I recently recieved for christmas. I'm still having a real tough time with hair, however. :( Oh well, just more incentive to practice. Heh, if only I had more time to do so!

I never did finish the original picture I started in this topic, but I figure I would post something that showed I had been doing atleast something related. ^_^;

Anyways here is the link! : http://www.deviantart.com/view/27494521/

Winde, :D

CnC

Ad Oculos

Hi Winde,
glad to have you posting. I like this one. The face is pretty much spot on. I'd say the far eye could use some adjustment but its pretty damn close. Good work.

As far as hair is concerned, I've run across some cool tutorials in the past.

Heres a good one.

And heres a decent one

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

That's extremely well done, Winde! As CnC said, it's good to see you posting again. :serpico:

That's some nice stuff. :serpico: I wish I had enough time to venture into that kind of art. :judo:

- C

Well I don't think I've ever really tried my hand with Berserk fan art... so I decided to be relatively safe with a profile of Casca.

I spent more time on her hair than anything else but I am happy with it. I know I could have made her hair and skin darker but... any more time devoted to it then I run the risk of completely ignoring my art portfolio that is still... unfinished.

*sigh*

Here is the link. :D

Winde, hurray for procrastinating!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I like it. It's done in your own style and I find it cool. Her skin is a bit too fair like you said, but it doesn't detract too much from it overall. Good job, you should post more.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Wow, thats very cool. It's neat seeing Casca done in a different style. Although I can't quite tell what the brown object beneath her chin is. I am pretty sure it's her hand? :???:

CnC

Ad Oculos
a good sketch, you've got there.

I like it. In addition to whats been said (fingers a biiiit off) I'd say the ear is a tad too narrow. But the rendering works for your style.

cheers

This is the current status of one of the pictures I'm working on for my art portfolio. O_O I don't think I'm going to get done in time but honestly? I think as far as painting goes I've come a long way. At least... I think so. :) And if I don't make it in at least I have something to show for my hard work. :D

tiefling dude w.i.p.

tiefling dude w.i.p. 2
I really appreciate the feedback and the constructive criticism. Without that I can't fix what's wrong and grow, you know? And I'll try to post more Aazealh, :) although I must admit I feel a little shy at times.

Winde, sometimes too shy  :judo:
*edit* added progress. O_O Time to sleep!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
lady winde said:
This is the current status of one of the pictures I'm working on for my art portfolio. O_O I don't think I'm going to get done in time but honestly? I think as far as painting goes I've come a long way. At least... I think so. :) And if I don't make it in at least I have something to show for my hard work. :D

tiefling dude w.i.p.

tiefling dude w.i.p. 2
I really appreciate the feedback and the constructive criticism. Without that I can't fix what's wrong and grow, you know? And I'll try to post more Aazealh, :) although I must admit I feel a little shy at times.

Winde, sometimes too shy  :judo:
*edit* added progress. O_O Time to sleep!

Wow, that looks really good. And as for feeling shy, you certainly have no reason to be. :serpico:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Hey lady winde, some nice posts, you have there.

Some crits would be perhaps you should use a harder brush or other wise give some definition to points of contrast, its lookin' a bit muddy.

The lighting is overall non-existant. nailing skin tone and hair texture is one thing but it needs a point of reference to make it look believable, lighting helps that.

Record Low said:
or does she? :guts: hehehe............jk hmmm

...I have no idea what you're talkin' about. perhaps quote it?

Yeah I'm guilty for using the soft brush a bit, well, I can't even say too much. It's all I've been using. XD But yeah you are right about it looking muddy.

Regarding light reference, at first I was like "I thought I had some shadow in there..." So I tried to add a bit more to the left on a different layer. I'm not completely done adding everything but turning the layer off and on and wow. I think it looks much better and certainly doesn't look as "flat" as it did before.

There are three things I am worried about though.

1. His eyes; I want them to have a glow to them, well the irises anyway.

2. His hair; I'm not feeling very confident when it comes to adding more shadow to it, especially the bangs, but it's definitely something I know that needs to be done.

3. And his horns. As you can see I haven't even started on those yet.

Anyways Cnc, thank you so much for all your input. :) I greatly appreciate it.

Winde, some, not all, shadow added to his face

CnC

Ad Oculos
edit: I've noticed a proportional issue. Your guys head is tilted (as shown by one ear showing and not the other) yet there are features (like the nose) that are straight on. Also I'd say his left eye is too high comared to the right.

lady winde said:
Yeah I'm guilty for using the soft brush a bit, well, I can't even say too much. It's all I've been using. XD But yeah you are right about it looking muddy.

Regarding light reference, at first I was like "I thought I had some shadow in there..." So I tried to add a bit more to the left on a different layer. I'm not completely done adding everything but turning the layer off and on and wow. I think it looks much better and certainly doesn't look as "flat" as it did before.

its looking better with the shadow. But for what you're going for I'd maybe even go further.

One of the biggest hurdles you have to overcome in digital painting (any painting, but especially digital) is reluctance to make changes. You just got to jump in there and get messy. make broad strokes and broad changes (usually with a harder brush), THEN refine. if you work from the the details out you're not only going to make mistakes in lighting but mistakes in almost every other aspect, and spend WAY too much time fixing them.

For example this is exactly what I did for the puck and evarella piece I posted in CnColors, as Aaz can probably support. I spent WAY too much time on the details and the lighting suffered, overall it looked way too flat.

Another thing is that you have WAY too many layers. if you have a layer for every change or for things you're not sure about you'll end up spending too much time finding the right layer to edit when you feel changes are needed. I've become a fan of making changes to a painting on its own layer, then merging down when I'm done. I never really go over 2-3 layers for a painting. one of those is usually the sketch, but recently thats just the base layer and I paint on top of it, so it disappears quickly (thats another thing, fill your canvas with color as quickly as possible).

lady winde said:
There are three things I am worried about though.

1. His eyes; I want them to have a glow to them, well the irises anyway.

Eyes usually appear to be glowing when their surroundings are darker. The best way to achieve this effect would be to back light him, but at the very least make the lighting more dramatic.

lady winde said:
2. His hair; I'm not feeling very confident when it comes to adding more shadow to it, especially the bangs, but it's definitely something I know that needs to be done.

Same deal with most other things apply to hair. Start with general shapes first (areas of shading and color), then refine to the strands. You can't really just start with a stippled brush and go to town, you'll get lost easily.

lady winde said:
3. And his horns. As you can see I haven't even started on those yet.

Use bone as reference, observe texture and how it reacts to light. Its different than how skin and hair react. Pull that off and you'll be just fine.

lady winde said:
Anyways Cnc, thank you so much for all your input. :) I greatly appreciate it.

de nada :guts:

Top Bottom