Who is your favorite apostle?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Maddness said:
actually if you want to be more technical.. Sheng Long was around first.

"Sheng Long" has no relevancy here, because the comparison is between the physical appearances and life philosophies of Zodd and Gouki.

B

bastard_swordsman

Grunbeld is fairly ace. It's a shame we never got to see a fight between him in his "human" state and pre-berserker armour Guts (without all those wounds), it could've been a moment to remember. Especially seeing as Grunbeld has a cannon too, to balance things out. It's easy to write him off for losing so easily, but you have to remember that Zodd never had to fight Guts with the armour. Basically, I like him because he's taller than everyone else... which works for me.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
I've got to go with Rakshas. He is sneaky, funny, and a good bit insane from what I can tell. I'm also curious as to his past.

Yeah, thats obvious enough. I just figured it's never been stated that he's an apostle... and if he weren't, it'd still be a logical choice to place someone of his abilities in command of a chunk of your army. I figured that his siding with Griffith may be out of an "enemy of my enemy" situation, seeing as his devotion to Griffith is different from that of Zodd, Locus, Grunbeld, etc... seeing as they don't want to behead him. But hey, no biggie.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bastard_swordsman said:
I figured that his siding with Griffith may be out of an "enemy of my enemy" situation, seeing as his devotion to Griffith is different from that of Zodd, Locus, Grunbeld, etc... seeing as they don't want to behead him.

Yeah, I mean, it's not like Zodd attacked him on sight when he showed himself as the Falcon of Light in volume 17. After all, Rakshas could just be a normal man with 3 eyes that can dislocate his bones, has arms that don't resemble anything human and is the only non-apostle to be in the apostle army, leading it as a captain too.

But it's true, it's never been explicitly stated in bold letters that he's an apostle. Just like it wasn't stated for others... until it was. :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bastard_swordsman said:
But on the three eyes thing - I'd assumed it was a mask, so I was missing some of the facts.

Well he does wear a mask, but there are 3 holes in it and his 3 eyes glow through.

Dirty Dog

Yeah, I sort of figured that Rakshas becoming an apostle was why he got kicked out of the Bakiraka or however it went, like maybe he sacrificed a bunch of them or something to gain his inhuman stealth skillz.

I like Gut's Crew (just had an amazing idea for fanart) more then any of the apostles. The apostles I am curious about are Rakshas and Zodd. Actually I'm more interested in the GH Slan and Void. But since they're not apostles I say Rakshas.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Its pretty clear by now that the choice of everyone should be:

<----------------------------------------FTW!

He's just so cynical and wicked....we also need an icon of Rakshas for when we feel truely deceitful.

I always thought Zodd was something other than an apostle... Sure, he serves Griffith right now, but he didn't seem to serve the Godhand until he chose to after Griffith chopped off his horn... I'm probably wrong.

ZoddTheImmortal

I Seek Only The Strong
pippin22 said:
I always thought Zodd was something other than an apostle... Sure, he serves Griffith right now, but he didn't seem to serve the Godhand until he chose to after Griffith chopped off his horn... I'm probably wrong.

No he always served them. Thats why he protected griffith from wyald and he also didn't tear griffith to shreds in the castle. He's always been serving the Godhands wishes. He knew what griffith would become. He never started serving griffith until griffith/hawk of light chopped his face in half.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
pippin22 said:

Well, apostles in general don't really "serve" the God Hand either. They just do whatever they want. What makes Zodd special is that he actually tried to fight the Falcon of Light. That requires some balls. Anyway, there's no doubt he's an apostle, it's pointed out several times in the manga as well as in the character summary at the beginning of new volumes.

ZoddTheImmortal said:
No he always served them. Thats why he protected griffith from wyald and he also didn't tear griffith to shreds in the castle. He's always been serving the Godhands wishes.

No, he didn't serve the God Hand. He just did whatever he wanted to do, like all other apostles. He spared Griffith (and Guts and the other members of the Hawks) because he felt like it, and he also had his own reasons to kill Wyald, but it wasn't because of any order or obligation to serve the God Hand. If you look at the dialogue, it's even pretty clearly stated.

ZoddTheImmortal

I Seek Only The Strong
Aazealh said:
Well, apostles in general don't really "serve" the God Hand either. They just do whatever they want. What makes Zodd special is that he actually tried to fight the Falcon of Light. That requires some balls. Anyway, there's no doubt he's an apostle, it's pointed out several times in the manga as well as in the character summary at the beginning of new volumes.

No, he didn't serve the God Hand. He just did whatever he wanted to do, like all other apostles. He spared Griffith (and Guts and the other members of the Hawks) because he felt like it, and he also had his own reasons to kill Wyald, but it wasn't because of any order or obligation to serve the God Hand. If you look at the dialogue, it's even pretty clearly stated.

Well your right almost always. Im not fully shure about zodd and wyald but im pretty shure he spared griffith because he knew he would be the fifth angel he even gave a prophet of what would happen.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ZoddTheImmortal said:
im pretty shure he spared griffith because he knew he would be the fifth angel he even gave a prophet of what would happen.

Yes, he saved him because he had that beherit, but that doesn't mean he was serving anybody. That was his own choice, just like it was Wyald's choice to try to kill Griffith (and the Hawks).

ZoddTheImmortal

I Seek Only The Strong
Aazealh said:
Yes, he saved him because he had that beherit, but that doesn't mean he was serving anybody. That was his own choice, just like it was Wyald's choice to try to kill Griffith (and the Hawks).

Damn you're good lol I got to get my facts straight. :miura: I'm a disgrace.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
My vote would go to Rochine. "Lost children" is a very, very powerful part of Berserk and she's absolutely wonderful as a tragic opponent.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Serpico said:
I've got to go with Rakshas. He is sneaky, funny, and a good bit insane from what I can tell. I'm also curious as to his past.

I find it interesting that we have yet to see an Apostle that displays a desire to distance themselves from the Nature of Apostles. What if there were an Apostle who sought Redemption?
I think it's highly significant that Rakshas is one of the only characters who is represented as being all but unaffected by Griffith's Charisma. Which is all the more remarkable for an Apostle. I don't mean to knock Ganishka but I find Rakshas' challenge and threat to Griffith to be even more impressive then Ganishka's in retrospect: Rakshas just stares at him and tells him that he is going to kill him and that he will let nothing get in the way of that. No Grandiosity and Pride, nor a moment of doubt. Just a simple, Passionate declaration . . .
Something major has to be driving Rakshas for him to have that phenomenal degree of Single-Mindedness when facing the incarnation of a God Hand . . . What I'm considering is that he wants to redeem himself for becoming an Apostle. If I may be so bold; I suspect that he was a Wizard or Holy-man of the Bakiraka Clan, the kind of person for who, becoming an Apostle would be completely contrary to his nature. Yet, through unforeseeable circumstances, he became an Apostle in a moment of weakness and in a manner so infamous that it led to his Exile. Furthermore, suppose that the act of making his Sacrifice drove him nearly mad with Grief. So now he wants to be the only one to thwart Griffith and thus strike back at the God Hand in order to both redeem himself and avenge his Sacrifice?
So anyway, I'm definitely rooting for him. Even if I'm completely wrong about his back-story, he's still an awesome character.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Forest Wraith said:
I find it interesting that we have yet to see an Apostle that displays a desire to distance themselves from the Nature of Apostles. What if there were an Apostle who sought Redemption?

I guess you should read Walter's short story "The Protector".

Forest Wraith said:
I think it's highly significant that Rakshas is one of the only characters who is represented as being all but unaffected by Griffith's Charisma. Which is all the more remarkable for an Apostle. I don't mean to knock Ganishka but I find Rakshas' challenge and threat to Griffith to be even more impressive then Ganishka's in retrospect: Rakshas just stares at him and tells him that he is going to kill him and that he will let nothing get in the way of that. No Grandiosity and Pride, nor a moment of doubt. Just a simple, Passionate declaration . . .

Well clearly Rakshas isn't unaffected by Griffith at all. Proof is that he came to him with all the others and despite his words is serving him like all the others. In fact, his declaration reinforces the impression that he's on the contrary pretty strongly affected (why else would he want to make Griffith his?). Besides, his statement is certainly intriguing, but it's still nothing compared to Ganishka actually opposing Griffith, or even Zodd trying to fight the Falcon of Light. When Rakshas said so Griffith just smiled and then he himself giggled. I don't think it's fair to compare words to actions.

Forest Wraith said:
Something major has to be driving Rakshas for him to have that phenomenal degree of Single-Mindedness when facing the incarnation of a God Hand . . . What I'm considering is that he wants to redeem himself for becoming an Apostle. If I may be so bold; I suspect that he was a Wizard or Holy-man of the Bakiraka Clan, the kind of person for who, becoming an Apostle would be completely contrary to his nature. Yet, through unforeseeable circumstances, he became an Apostle in a moment of weakness and in a manner so infamous that it led to his Exile. Furthermore, suppose that the act of making his Sacrifice drove him nearly mad with Grief.

Your idea sounds pretty unlikely to me. Rakshas doesn't really seem the type to be grieving or having remorse, nor to be regretful of his condition as an apostle. He also hardly fits the profile of a magic user, even former, rather he's more like the members of the Bakiraka we've seen so far: agile fighters often using surreptitious methods. And I believe you are mistaken about Rakshas' apparent goal. If you look at his introductory scene, he comments on how beautiful Griffith is, and then proceeds to say that he'll cut off his head and make him his one day. The focus here isn't the act of killing but the appropriation of Griffith, it's like a child coveting a doll.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Aazealh said:
I guess you should read Walter's short story "The Protector".

Starting on it already, thank you both.

Aazealh said:
Well clearly Rakshas isn't unaffected by Griffith at all. Proof is that he came to him with all the others and despite his words is serving him like all the others. In fact, his declaration reinforces the impression that he's on the contrary pretty strongly affected (why else would he want to make Griffith his?). Besides, his statement is certainly intriguing, but it's still nothing compared to Ganishka actually opposing Griffith, or even Zodd trying to fight the Falcon of Light. When Rakshas said so Griffith just smiled and then he himself giggled. I don't think it's fair to compare words to actions.

That's a fair point and I also like to try and remain completely objective about my own speculations. What I think is concrete is Rakshas' presentation: His exact motivations for wanting to kill Griffith are not defined. While I agree that his obsession with Griffith is motivated primarily in fanaticism: It's the ambiguity of his motivations that makes me consider that he might have a more diverse role then the other Apostles. Bottom line: I consider his desire to kill Griffith to be a form of foreshadowing.

Aazealh said:
Your idea sounds pretty unlikely to me. Rakshas doesn't really seem the type to be grieving or having remorse, nor to be regretful of his condition as an apostle. He also hardly fits the profile of a magic user, even former, rather he's more like the members of the Bakiraka we've seen so far: agile fighters often using surreptitious methods. And I believe you are mistaken about Rakshas' apparent goal. If you look at his introductory scene, he comments on how beautiful Griffith is, and then proceeds to say that he'll cut off his head and make him his one day. The focus here isn't the act of killing but the appropriation of Griffith, it's like a child coveting a doll.

Yeah, well that's just your Opinion Man . . . :daiba:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Forest Wraith said:
What I think is concrete is Rakshas' presentation: His exact motivations for wanting to kill Griffith are not defined.

His exact motives haven't been outlined, but at least we can be relatively sure that he didn't say so out of regret for being an apostle.

Forest Wraith said:
While I agree that his obsession with Griffith is motivated primarily in fanaticism: It's the ambiguity of his motivations that makes me consider that he might have a more diverse role then the other Apostles.

Obsession is a very strong word considering the displayed behavior, I don't think its use is justified here. Aside from his first appearance he hasn't manifested any particularly obsessive behavior. As for diverse roles, it could be argued that it's likely to be the case for all 5 captains. Rakshas just happens to be one of the most mysterious of them at the moment.

Forest Wraith said:
Bottom line: I consider his desire to kill Griffith to be a form of foreshadowing.

Well it'd be pretty hard NOT to consider it so... Obviously it wasn't written for no reason and with no consequence in mind. We just don't know what it entails yet.

Forest Wraith said:
Yeah, well that's just your Opinion Man . . . :daiba:

I'm afraid not. :void:

Top Bottom