Dark Horse Releases

SuicideCommand0 said:
They posted the Preview to issue 8 but, still no date for 9 :-\

Hello all, I'm new here. :)

If it makes you feel any better, I work for a book store. Issue 8 is suppose to be the 13th of july and issue 9 is suppose to be around the middle of October, either the 11th or 18th. The news broadcast wasnt sure which date, but it will be one of those two.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Zelz said:
I don't see what is taking them so long, I mean its the same thing as the Japanese version, just different words, not too hard if you have a translator

Reason as to why it takes them time were given earlier in this thread. And translating isn't easy anyway, a month is short to translate Berserk.

Hippie said:
Hello all, I'm new here. :)

Hey, welcome to SK.net! :)

Thanks ;)

My big problem with Dark Horse and Berserk is the contract DH has with the original Japanese company. How many volumes did they get? If they got only say the first 28, will they continue after that? Or will they stop alot earlier than that?

I really hope they publish it all and don't stop but you can never tell with corporations some times.

Ah ok, thanks Aazealh, I must have missed that, and ya hope they publish them all but worse comes to worse you can always buy the Japanese version.

The time delay is all due to language/market.  I'm British, but am living in Germany as part of my university studies. Here, they've published up to volume 27, and volume 28 is due out next month.

Maybe it takes so long to get in English because Dark Horse need to print more copies.  Apart from Germany, Austria, and parts of Switzerland & Belgium, German as a language isn't used that much internationally.  For the English market, they need to produce enough for EVERY English-speaking nation, and also for countries where it's used more than the native language (Scandinavia, Iceland, etc.)

Maybe things would go quicker if a 3-party translation was sorted out.  If Miura gave permission to a German publisher to translate, DH could ask to translate the German edition: unless the text ends up too far from the original Japanese, it's a feasible idea (at least to me :-\ )

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
tuxedo_nat said:
Maybe it takes so long to get in English because Dark Horse need to print more copies.

Nope. Same thing than for Zelz: please read earlier posts in this thread, Dark Horse has stated its reasons for having a trimestrial release rate.

tuxedo_nat said:
Here, they've published up to volume 27, and volume 28 is due out next month.

They started releasing it fairly recently (05/2001), but they had monthly releases, that's why it caught up so fast.

tuxedo_nat said:
For the English market, they need to produce enough for EVERY English-speaking nation, and also for countries where it's used more than the native language (Scandinavia, Iceland, etc.)

They're just publishing it in America as far as I know. Other countries can import it if they want, but it's not like Dark Horse is sending Berserk manga everywhere in the world to satisfy a huge demand. They're just printing a certain amount that they plan will sell, and then wait to see what happens, re-printing when needed.

tuxedo_nat said:
Maybe things would go quicker if a 3-party translation was sorted out.

Hmm, re-translating an existing translation in another language is usually a big no-no... The resulting translation's quality would probably be pretty bad. Anyway, Digital Manga takes care of the translation for Dark Horse, I don't think they would have any trouble releasing the manga bi-monthly if they wanted to.

ok Darkhorse now has a date set for the 9th issue of Berserk to drop. and guess what its not 2 months from issue number 8 its 3 months ::). berserk issue 9 drops on
10/12/05. so i guess we can kiss a bi-monthly series goodbye (for now) I'm sorry but this kind of stuff pisses me off. it does not take three months for a manga to be translated,printed and the distributed ::).

Ya, it makes me angry too espeically because im following the English release, I recently bought volume 1 of Berserk, my first manga ever hehe, so Im hoping it picks up, but if I really need to I could get the Japanese version, but I prefer it in English. If they released it monthly or even bi-monthly that would be great...

Way I see it, Dark Horse wants a steady cash flow. If they released each volume every month eventually they wouldn't have anything to release for a very long time. Having them three months apart give time for more volumes to develop in Japan and most likely around the time Dark Horse does catch up it'll be around the end of the series assumingly so. If the series was already over, they probably wouldn't be hesitant to release them faster like LW&C.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
I used to complain about them not being released fast enough too.. but honestly it seems fast to me now. I still have yet to buy the 7th volume.. although I guess that has more to do with me being broke all the time. Still though.. 3 months flies by quick.. and we're already almost 1/3 of the way up to the japanese releases.

Ya, I mean I only got volume 1... so they can take their time I dont plan on buying the next volume for atleast another month, I just hope it gets steady by the time I catch up to them, I just dont want to spend the next 5 years waiting on the new berserk releases lol...

I don't think Dark Horse would stop publishing Berserk, because they are probably making a shitload of money off of it. I've talked to lots of comicbook store clerks and they all say Berserk sells like holy hell.

aufond said:
I don't think Dark Horse would stop publishing Berserk,

Who said they would?

Hasn't this whole conversation been done earlier in the thread?

"Why won't they speed up?" "Because they want to..." etc.

aufond said:
I don't think Dark Horse would stop publishing Berserk, because they are probably making a shitload of money off of it.  I've talked to lots of comicbook store clerks and they all say Berserk sells like holy hell.
who would you rather see publish it in English. my only problem with DarkHorse is that they take to long

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rage Incarnate said:
Hasn't this whole conversation been done earlier in the thread?

Several times already. That's why if this keeps going on I'll eventually lock it.

Vaxillus said:
Makes me want to move to Canada.

Well, you obviously haven't lived in Canada before, seeing as stuff here is SOOO much more expensive than in the US. I wish i could live in US seeing as the volumes there cost only 13.99, here they cost around 20 FUCKING DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, well from where I buy the english verison of the manga its only 10 dollars a volume which is a pretty good deal.... that sucks that it is like twice that in Canada, maybe because of imports, marketing etc.

Hellsing is another good one. slightly less violent than berserk (only slightly though) and has a very interesting story. If you like gunplay and vampires give it a shot :)

berserker88

The Raging Demon
after they have caught up to jet how long would it take them to release the volume after it was released in japan!!

any ways im suspecting 4 months or maybe 3 moths to release it in america after its release date in japan!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
berserker88 said:
any ways im suspecting 4 months or maybe 3 moths to release it in america after its release date in japan!

We're not there yet, so there's hardly any way to know for sure, but 3 or 4 months seems like a good estimation to me.

Top Bottom